WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

565 or 600??

legend14

Reaction score
Just looking for feed back on which engine package to go with for a Howard 288 deck? Any pros and cons of each anyone had experience with??
Thanks!

legend14

Reaction score
go with the Merc 700

Ok {m considering that too but not sure what the price difference is? Plus I want reliability as well, dont want high maintenance, been through that already, but would like a little power. Do you have experience with the 700?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The 600 is fully upgradable down the road, up to 800hp without getting crazy, the 565 really has no upgrades except an ecu reflasj for 20 or so hours so comes down to what you really plan for the future. They are both excellent engine platforms.

The 700 is a bad sob right out the box but last i read Mercury only sells it coupled to an M6 now, the NXT is currently discontinued, and i would imagine that would open a whole new can of worms on that hull.

Before pulling the trigger it’s also real nice to be able to go next door and speak with Mr. Teague and see what power and drive he’d be able to get you into for the same/similar money. The MR will always carry a better resale tho.

C08H18

Reaction score
I like my 600 with a stage II now and more options available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend14

Reaction score
The 600 is fully upgradable down the road, up to 800hp without getting crazy, the 565 really has no upgrades except an ecu reflasj for 20 or so hours so comes down to what you really plan for the future. They are both excellent engine platforms.

The 700 is a bad sob right out the box but last i read Mercury only sells it coupled to an M6 now, the NXT is currently discontinued, and i would imagine that would open a whole new can of worms on that hull.

Before pulling the trigger it’s also real nice to be able to go next door and speak with Mr. Teague and see what power and drive he’d be able to get you into for the same/similar money. The MR will always carry a better resale tho.
Can you elaborate on the M6? Just trying to learn as much as I can about set ups? How would that open can of worms??

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the M6? Just trying to learn as much as I can about set ups? How would that open can of worms??
Drive for the 600SCI bravo Xr

FD9A2A26-51F6-45A3-B50C-41FADC7BF9AC.png

Drive for 700SCI Mercury M6

CAED6331-78C3-49BC-BE04-F41F967F0CE4.jpeg

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
If it is in your budget go 600. Down the road upgrades are great. That is the one regret i have when we built our boat. 565 you are pretty much were you are going to be, the DTS set up is nice but not life changing. You go 700 and you are making a big jump in price.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Spend now or spend later.

600 now is great, but then the drive is toast when you upgrade. 700 with a 6 is a long term reliable setup even after you upgrade the 700.

Reactions: DWC

JD D05

Reaction score
I have owned 3 600's and have really liked them all. I did own one in a 28SS and broke the drive but that was a day that I had my 2 people prop on and ended up with 6 people. It took a beating getting on plane all day. Not sure of the XR has been upgraded since. The 700 package is just done and ready to go. But I would still take the 600 over the 565.

Dalton

Reaction score

I don’t think it would open a can of worms, m6 is a more serious performance drive

600 or 700 you’re on the right track

legend14

Reaction score
If it is in your budget go 600. Down the road upgrades are great. That is the one regret i have when we built our boat. 565 you are pretty much were you are going to be, the DTS set up is nice but not life changing. You go 700 and you are making a big jump in price.
Thank you for your input! Do you know price difference? 600, 700?

legend14

Reaction score
I have owned 3 600's and have really liked them all. I did own one in a 28SS and broke the drive but that was a day that I had my 2 people prop on and ended up with 6 people. It took a beating getting on plane all day. Not sure of the XR has been upgraded since. The 700 package is just done and ready to go. But I would still take the 600 over the 565.
THanks for reply! I pretty much just want a one time, reliable set up! For now!! HA!

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
I had the 600 and did the stage 3 upgrade in my 2017 288 and it worked great! Absolutely no issues with the drive or anything else. A solid 95mph boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

farmo83

Reaction score
An M6 has to have a transmission so the rigging would be entirely different in the boat. Also I know Teague doesn't like to run 6's on a single setup as it's a surfacing drive and the boat could lose control.

As far as drives go do not discount the IMCO SCX, it's a nice middle ground between the XR and M6 and was designed to bridge that gap. Plenty of them out there with way more then 700.

I don't know what your budget situation is but I would go 700 and the SCX if it were in the possibility, then 600 and SCX, then 565 and XR

Teague Custom Marine | IMCO SCX Drives

Last edited:

McKay

Reaction score
I personally would never own a bravo drive boat again. If they have rigged your boat before and it works well with a 6 drive I would go for that all day long. However I would not want to be the first if they have not.

By the time you buy a prop for the 6 I seem to remember it being about 30k upgrade going to the 700 package over a 600. But so worth it in my opinion. After warranty whipple kit it and it really wakes up the 700’s.

farmo83

Reaction score
How much does that engine run??

Teague quoted me 58k for a 1050 a few years ago so I would say 50-55k ?

It's a nice piece. Family Friend has 2 in his daytona and he said he won't run anything other then Teague from now on.

575cat

Reaction score
700 # done , youre going to spend it anyways , 600 Bravo NO [ heavy boat ] , budget & boat dont go together .

legend14

Reaction score
I had the 600 and did the stage 3 upgrade in my 2017 288 and it worked great! Absolutely no issues with the drive or anything else. A solid 95mph boat.

You get 95 mph with that 600?? What rpm??

Devious_Chris

Reaction score
You get 95 mph with that 600?? What rpm??

After the stage 3 upgrade, yes 95 was what it would run. I sold the boat a couple years ago, I don’t recall what rpm I was running but I’m thinking it was 5800.

Devious_Chris

Reaction score
700 # done , youre going to spend it anyways , 600 Bravo NO [ heavy boat ] , budget & boat dont go together .

Not sure why you think the 600 XR package doesn’t work well in that boat? There are many 288’s with that setup that are flawless..... Do you speak from experience with this package in a 288?

575cat

Reaction score
I believe youre on borrowed time with the bravo why not spend the extra $$ and get something stronger , it is a heavy boat .

legend14

Reaction score
An M6 has to have a transmission so the rigging would be entirely different in the boat. Also I know Teague doesn't like to run 6's on a single setup as it's a surfacing drive and the boat could lose control.

As far as drives go do not discount the IMCO SCX, it's a nice middle ground between the XR and M6 and was designed to bridge that gap. Plenty of them out there with way more then 700.

I don't know what your budget situation is but I would go 700 and the SCX if it were in the possibility, then 600 and SCX, then 565 and XR

Teague Custom Marine | IMCO SCX Drives
Is the Imco SCX a better quality? Or is it personal preference?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I don’t think it would open a can of worms, m6 is a more serious performance drive

600 or 700 you’re on the right track

The can of worms I’m talking about is how many decks or better how many Howard decks have you seen with the M6 hanging off the back.

Easily do able but there would be a lot of set up changes for Howard to be able to make it work i assume.

farmo83

Reaction score
Is the Imco SCX a better quality? Or is it personal preference?

Much Better Quality

The main benefit is the gears are bigger which overcomes the limiting factor of the XR drive gears. The drive takes a bravo transom assembly, only requires a helmet change(what the drive bolts to). The drive is physically bigger as well, this isn't a problem for the upper but the lower being bigger can create a lot more drag. A common theme is to run an SCX upper and an more streamlined lower. The best option for this would be the dual downshaft lower(also the most expensive) as you get the added strength of the bigger SCX gears and the streamlined case and added strength of the dual downshaft lower.

I believe Howard did a 288 with a Teague 1050 and the SCX upper and dual downshaft lower last year and RD did a video on it.

Either way I would talk to Bob Teague, I'll bet you a case of beer whatever drive you get it will come from his shop.

(1) Teague Talk with The Swoops: Bravo Outdrives Part 1 - YouTube

legend14

Reaction score
I personally would never own a bravo drive boat again. If they have rigged your boat before and it works well with a 6 drive I would go for that all day long. However I would not want to be the first if they have not.

By the time you buy a prop for the 6 I seem to remember it being about 30k upgrade going to the 700 package over a 600. But so worth it in my opinion. After warranty whipple kit it and it really wakes up the 700’s.
Are you referring to the IMCO drive? Bravo? That you would not want?? And why?

Singleton

Reaction score
Ok {m considering that too but not sure what the price difference is? Plus I want reliability as well, dont want high maintenance, been through that already, but would like a little power. Do you have experience with the 700?

I have zero experience with the 700.
If I was upgrading my boat today; I would pick the 600 or twin 300R’s.
Only reason I told you 700 and I would pick the 600. My boat will not work with the drive required for the 700.

legend14

Reaction score
Much Better Quality

The main benefit is the gears are bigger which overcomes the limiting factor of the XR drive gears. The drive takes a bravo transom assembly, only requires a helmet change(what the drive bolts to). The drive is physically bigger as well, this isn't a problem for the upper but the lower being bigger can create a lot more drag. A common theme is to run an SCX upper and an more streamlined lower. The best option for this would be the dual downshaft lower(also the most expensive) as you get the added strength of the bigger SCX gears and the streamlined case and added strength of the dual downshaft lower.

I believe Howard did a 288 with a Teague 1050 and the SCX upper and dual downshaft lower last year and RD did a video on it.

Either way I would talk to Bob Teague, I'll bet you a case of beer whatever drive you get it will come from his shop.

(1) Teague Talk with The Swoops: Bravo Outdrives Part 1 - YouTube
Thank you for your input!

McKay

Reaction score
Are you referring to the IMCO drive? Bravo? That you would not want?? And why?

Referring to a bravo or imco sc. SC uses same gear set as bravo XR. SCX is bigger on top but most guys run and SC lower. Which is still Bravo XR gears. It’s my understanding or was at the time early this year you still can’t get a 6 prop shaft in a dual down shaft imco lower.

But as others have said. It’s a lot more weight going to a 6 drive. Also engine needs to be moved forward as 700/six package comes with a transmission.

All depends on how you drive as well. I just prefer the no fuss of a six. They are solid and proven to 1000+hp.

legend14

Reaction score
Referring to a bravo or imco sc. SC uses same gear set as bravo XR. SCX is bigger on top but most guys run and SC lower. Which is still Bravo XR gears. It’s my understanding or was at the time early this year you still can’t get a 6 prop shaft in a dual down shaft imco lower.

But as others have said. It’s a lot more weight going to a 6 drive. Also engine needs to be moved forward as 700/six package comes with a transmission.

All depends on how you drive as well. I just prefer the no fuss of a six. They are solid and proven to 1000+hp.
The 600 is proven to 1000+ HP??

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Just looking for feed back on which engine package to go with for a Howard 288 deck? Any pros and cons of each anyone had experience with??
Thanks!

My Friends built one of these two years ago. They wanted to go with the merc 700 but as stated they only come with the M6 drive and I'm 99% sure howard told them that that drive will not work on the boat because of the set up and transmission. It doesn't fit in the engine bay. They ended up going with a teague 1075 i believe and their boat does over 100mph

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My Friends built one of these two years ago. They wanted to go with the merc 700 but as stated they only come with the M6 drive and I'm 99% sure howard told them that that drive will not work on the boat because of the set up and transmission. It doesn't fit in the engine bay. They ended up going with a teague 1075 i believe and their boat does over 100mph
Think fit would also play into the swim step as the M6 being a surface drive also runs a higher X.

There’s a reason that you see two options on the 288’s MR power to 600sci or TCM with SCX

legend14

Reaction score
I see, that’s a big price though!! I’m sure

JD D05

Reaction score
No way! That would ruin the whole boat!! Ha!

I totally understand the big block attraction. But you should consider a couple 400's. After being around them in a few freinds DCB's I am a huge fan. I doubt I will ever own another boat without outboards. Just the piece of mind of essentially 7,8,9 hundred without touching them is a beautiful thing.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Outboards on a deck boat suck. Period. The entire point of a desk is to entertain people, many people. Having two outboards and a tie bar taking up the entire transom, just ruins the fun factor. No hanging out and chillin on the rear deck. Having to do gymnastics to get in the boat...... yea, no thanks

hallett21

Reaction score
I totally understand the big block attraction. But you should consider a couple 400's. After being around them in a few freinds DCB's I am a huge fan. I doubt I will ever own another boat without outboards. Just the piece of mind of essentially 7,8,9 hundred without touching them is a beautiful thing.

A twin outboard deck is on the short list. Or we go 25-29 V but I’d still like outboards.