WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mini Schiada Motor Options

River Rat 454

Reaction score
I have a 10' mini schiada and need to replace the 30hp Tohatsu that's on it now. The current motor weighs 112 lbs. I was looking at different 30hp to 50hp options in both 2-stroke and 4-stroke and weights range from 158 to 210 lbs. Anyone have any experience with these mini's and what they can and cannot handle with regard to weight and/or what option may perform best?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have a 10' mini schiada and need to replace the 30hp Tohatsu that's on it now. The current motor weighs 112 lbs. I was looking at different 30hp to 50hp options in both 2-stroke and 4-stroke and weights range from 158 to 210 lbs. Anyone have any experience with these mini's and what they can and cannot handle with regard to weight and/or what option may perform best?

why are you getting rid of the 30?
All of mine had 40 tohatsu’s on them.. I wouldn’t go with anything heavier than that and keep it close to the transom.

I did one with a custom power trim and jack plate mated into one unit.. it was tail heavy but first time out ran 42 mph with a plastic test adjustable prop.. 😳. Lol.

Guy bought it before I had a chance to really dial it in but I was thinking 46-48 mph wa doable

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Just sharing,
Suzuki (40,50 & 60hp) 4 stroke is 229#
30hp is 158#
I help care for a Suzuki 20 4stroke, it’s been great since new for 4 years, lots and lots of almost daily use.
The Suzuki looks smaller than the Honda’s, Merc’s and Tohatsu’s of same size, I think they generally are lighter as well.

I think Suzuki’s are Very quiet, so are Honda’s. Mercs and Tohatsus are a little louder. Only downfall is if it does break, not many dealers or service centers to choose from, so if you go that route, make sure there is a place to work on it and make sure they can scan it.

MCnParker

Reaction score
Why does the tohatsu need to be replaced? they are super simple and surprisingly easy to find parts for... Mine that I sold had a 3 cylinder 40hp that was easily serviced and repaired. Also easy to modify to make more HP.

Reactions: DWC

sirbob

Reaction score

Most of the go fast guys like the 300 Merc on the 10ers / they go with the 450 Merc on the 12ers...

But I'd fix the 30 you have - it cant be that bad.

farmo83

Reaction score
Not meant the thread Jack but how many Mini's are out there? Did Lee build a lot of them over the years ?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not meant the thread Jack but how many Mini's are out there? Did Lee build a lot of them over the years ?

they subbed them to Lavey back in the day and there was 100’s made.. they are hard to find now though

River Rat 454

Reaction score
why are you getting rid of the 30?
All of mine had 40 tohatsu’s on them.. I wouldn’t go with anything heavier than that and keep it close to the transom.

I did one with a custom power trim and jack plate mated into one unit.. it was tail heavy but first time out ran 42 mph with a plastic test adjustable prop.. 😳. Lol.

Guy bought it before I had a chance to really dial it in but I was thinking 46-48 mph wa doable

The engine overheated and now doesn't have any compression in one of the cylinders

River Rat 454

Reaction score
Why does the tohatsu need to be replaced? they are super simple and surprisingly easy to find parts for... Mine that I sold had a 3 cylinder 40hp that was easily serviced and repaired. Also easy to modify to make more HP.

The engine overheated and now doesn't have any compression in the #1 cylinder. I was advised not to try and rebuild it and was also hoping to take this opportunity to put some more HP behind it.

4Waters

Reaction score
The engine overheated and now doesn't have any compression in the #1 cylinder. I was advised not to try and rebuild it and was also hoping to take this opportunity to put some more HP behind it.
This is the time to get more HP, find out why you don't have compression in #1 it might be simple to fix. You could punch it out .010 or so and have a nice rebuilt motor

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
You’ll sacrifice everything good about your boat now if you add any weight to it. They work the best with a 30. I’ve had a few of them, the couple miles an hour aren’t worth it. They made an old tohatsu 2 cylinder 40. Find one of those if you can. Fuck the 3 cylinder.

If you really want turn key, a 25hp Mercury 4 stroke is a great alternative. Same speed as the 30, which is high 30’s. The 40 will run low 40’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCnParker

Reaction score

Where are you located? I found these guys down in Newport Beach had a lot of older stuff in the shop, they were good dudes. Maybe give them a ring and see what they say?

rivergames

Reaction score
4 strokes are too heavy to use for any kind of power on the mini.

You want a 40 HP 2 stroke to achieve mid 40's and not have the as end be too low in the water. The 2 cycliders had minis around 43-43MPH and the 3 cylinders pushed the minis to about 45MPH.

One day my buddy will finish a spare 40 HP 2 stroke powerhead that we bored out to get 70 HP. I plan on her running mid 50's

River Rat 454

Reaction score
Where are you located? I found these guys down in Newport Beach had a lot of older stuff in the shop, they were good dudes. Maybe give them a ring and see what they say?

Thank you, I will give them a call

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Being an ex Tohatsu dealer for years and years, there isn't any way in hell I'd get rid of that engine. Piece of cake to rebuild and carry on with what it was doing. Just like any other two smoke of yesteryear, they'll run and run if you keep good gas and oil in them and keep them cool. I rebuilt so many 2 strokes because of lack of oil or cooling and it was nothing but the operators fault. It takes all of about maybe an hour for a person that knows how to change the W/P impeller and no experience to mix the oil and gas properly.
The reason, imo, someone told you to get another engine is they wanted to sell you something new. They have prolly not ever seen a 2 stroke inside and think it's something magic, kind of like the "new" kid techs that have NO idea what points and carbs are.

Long live the old school two smokes with carbs!!!!! My favorite saying on the toon going through the channel with a 2 smoke in front of us "smells like money to me", the wife just grins.:)

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I can’t remember if it was the 20 to the 30, or 30 to the 40 that the motors are same bore and stroke. Just something stupid like a throttle stop for the difference.

River Rat 454

Reaction score
I can’t remember if it was the 20 to the 30, or 30 to the 40 that the motors are same bore and stroke. Just something stupid like a throttle stop for the difference.

I know the new 40's and 50's are the same bore and stroke so most likely the 20's and 30's are as well

MCnParker

Reaction score
Being an ex Tohatsu dealer for years and years, there isn't any way in hell I'd get rid of that engine. Piece of cake to rebuild and carry on with what it was doing. Just like any other two smoke of yesteryear, they'll run and run if you keep good gas and oil in them and keep them cool. I rebuilt so many 2 strokes because of lack of oil or cooling and it was nothing but the operators fault. It takes all of about maybe an hour for a person that knows how to change the W/P impeller and no experience to mix the oil and gas properly.
The reason, imo, someone told you to get another engine is they wanted to sell you something new. They have prolly not ever seen a 2 stroke inside and think it's something magic, kind of like the "new" kid techs that have NO idea what points and carbs are.

Long live the old school two smokes with carbs!!!!! My favorite saying on the toon going through the channel with a 2 smoke in front of us "smells like money to me", the wife just grins.:)

I think you actually worked on mine, had some issue with flooding and you found a cap on a vacuum or something in one of the carbs that had disintegrated, fixed it and it ran like a top until the day I sold it!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

I agree. Tohatsus are work horses. They are almost unbreakable. Especially on a mini that gets a couple hours of use a year. Just keep good gas in them. Change the impeller every couple of seasons. That’s it.

Reactions: DWC

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Many engine manufactures did this. It is much cheaper to make one engine and just detune the lower HP than to make different engines. I could make a 115/120 a 140 in the blink of an eye. Takes longer to get the cowling off than to gain 29-25 hp. And guess what, they cost $50.00 more back in the day!!!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If I was gonna build another one i would do a sport c motor with a shiftable Lower..

hallett21

Reaction score
If I was gonna build another one i would do a sport c motor with a shiftable Lower..

I’ve always wondered why no one did a full custom block and mate it to an existing midsection/lower. Considering the money in these things mind as well go all out.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered why no one did a full custom block and mate it to an existing midsection/lower. Considering the money in these things mind as well go all out.

people do.. lol. I had a sport c guy that was gonna build me exactly that before Marc bought it.. I was considering going I think it’s called “fat c” which is even more hp? Crazy tuned pipes etc

hallett21

Reaction score
people do.. lol. I had a sport c guy that was gonna build me exactly that before Marc bought it.. I was considering going I think it’s called “fat c” which is even more hp? Crazy tuned pipes etc

What would it cost you to build a top to bottom custom motor? Assuming you machined it yourself?

1fastsedan

Reaction score
Are you guys running a short or long shaft on these?? Bringing this back from the dead.

DBMX

Reaction score
Someone just put a 60hp Tohatsu 4 stroker on theirs and said it worked great.........

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Many engine manufactures did this. It is much cheaper to make one engine and just detune the lower HP than to make different engines. I could make a 115/120 a 140 in the blink of an eye. Takes longer to get the cowling off than to gain 29-25 hp. And guess what, they cost $50.00 more back in the day!!!!!
Can you help me make my 225 Yamaha into a 350?😂

BamBam

Reaction score
I'm shocked no one has put a Rotax/jet in one...same weight, better distribution, 3x the power....
I've wanted to do that for a long time. But I've got no time and no money, oh and too many other projects

My thought was remove the "well" in the back for the outboard and build a hatch that looks like a 21'. I think a 12' would be better but a 10' would be a blast too.