rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Win10 came out in 2015...

Some of you guys are a bit slow on the uptake! 😂

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My work computer is W10 and I like it. My home PC is W7 and am holding out updating it.

I still use 7 and refused to assimilate to 10......11 sounds scary😂 to me.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My IMac is probably 12 years old? Maybe older?
Truth is I barely turn it on anymore.
On directional drilling jobs everything is W10 on company computers.
The problem with system upgrades is that every directional program is 3rd party.
They usually take a long time to upgrade their programs for compatibility.

sintax

Reaction score
I always thought Mac was for people that worked on their computer, not worked ON their computer.

I would say that’s still true, they do a great job of simplifying their platform.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I would say that’s still true, they do a great job of simplifying their platform.

Macs are computers for dummies and I’m fine with that.

My new gig is all PC and I’ve had more trouble with my laptop in the last 4 weeks, than I had in my entire 25 year career that was all Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My IMac is probably 12 years old? Maybe older?
Truth is I barely turn it on anymore.
On directional drilling jobs everything is W10 on company computers.
The problem with system upgrades is that every directional program is 3rd party.
They usually take a long time to upgrade their programs for compatibility.

You work for a smart company...

All of these companies getting hit with mulit million dollar ransom ware payments are probably running old versions of XP still.

Win10 has ransom ware protection more or less built in. Hell yeah it's a pain to upgrade. But million dollar ransom ware payments would have to be even worse!

I won't do the beta on Win11, but I'll upgrade as soon as a stable release is available.

azsunfun

Reaction score
oil pipipeline must be running w10, chicken plants on w7.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
oil pipipeline must be running w10, chicken plants on w7.

Most business are stuck on XP still. Costs mega dollars to upgrade custom built software.

Costs even more to pay ransom payments though. Bean counters are dumb.

thmterry

Reaction score
My lap top with windows 10 wants me to do an upgrade to 11. What is the word on the street about Windows 11? Who is using it, what are your thoughts?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
My lap top with windows 10 wants me to do an upgrade to 11. What is the word on the street about Windows 11? Who is using it, what are your thoughts?

Microsoft is still working the bugs out of it to be honest. There's a lot to the GUI that still hasnt been fixed, or things are in wierd places, or functionality that you used to have under W10 hasnt shown back up yet.

I've got W10 on my work desktop that I use daily. I've got W11 on my work laptop that I use occasionally.

My recommendation is to stay on W10 as long as you can, until MS gets 11 back to the functionality 10 had. Especially if this is something you need to get work done on.

The only use case of going to Win11 at the moment is MS just released the Direct Storage update for 11 and its (when the game developers finally implement, probably late this year or early next) going to really make gaming better once the games on windows support it. Win10 will support it as well, but not as well as Win11. But its a moot point until games are written for it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Microsoft is still working the bugs out of it to be honest. There's a lot to the GUI that still hasnt been fixed, or things are in wierd places, or functionality that you used to have under W10 hasnt shown back up yet.

I've got W10 on my work desktop that I use daily. I've got W11 on my work laptop that I use occasionally.

My recommendation is to stay on W10 as long as you can, until MS gets 11 back to the functionality 10 had. Especially if this is something you need to get work done on.

The only use case of going to Win11 at the moment is MS just released the Direct Storage update for 11 and its (when the game developers finally implement, probably late this year or early next) going to really make gaming better once the games on windows support it. Win10 will support it as well, but not as well as Win11. But its a moot point until games are written for it.
Yup my surface keeps asking me to update and I won't do it. Just bought my wife a new laptop and it has 11. Pretty clean so far from the limited time I have spent on it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

It's coming around...

There were Lots of complaints in the beginning about all of the features that were removed, Microsoft listened, and has been slowly adding things back in.

There are a number of forums out there where this shit is discussed to death! It's being updated at least twice a month since it was first released.

Personally, I think I'll be willing to move to it sometime this summer. Still watching and waiting, for now.

Article from March 8th...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Subscribed

My newish laptop keeps asking the same thing.

Icky

Reaction score
My Del precision runs 10, my my new surface pro 8 came with 11. I'll be on my surface full time next week, docked to my screens while my laptop is at the doctor, we'll see how it does. I usually have several windows of excel, a few of word, chrome, outlook and bluebeam running at the same time.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It's coming around...

There were Lots of complaints in the beginning about all of the features that were removed, Microsoft listened, and has been slowly adding things back in.

There are a number of forums out there where this shit is discussed to death! It's being updated at least twice a month since it was first released.

Personally, I think I'll be willing to move to it sometime this summer. Still watching and waiting, for now.

Article from March 8th...

"Features removed" like your own Picture Resizer" that was removed from your computer without your permission, that they then bundled a fucking shit version of into a piece of shit package to sell?

Fucking Microsoft, if they did not create and charge you to solve their own problems, no one would run their bloatware. It's only the legacy of when they actually made a windows that worked fantastic (7) other than plain old XP, that they literally forced on every system made back then.

Don't ever upgrade unless you have to for some paywall software you need for work....sad fucking days when a monopoly that is so clearly in total control of the market never gets called on it.

Fuck you Gates.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have it on my work laptop. I'm not crazy about but it's......ok. The app store definitely seems VERY thin compared to the same for W10.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
"Features removed" like your own Picture Resizer" that was removed from your computer without your permission, that they then bundled a fucking shit version of into a piece of shit package to sell?

Fucking Microsoft, if they did not create and charge you to solve their own problems, no one would run their bloatware. It's only the legacy of when they actually made a windows that worked fantastic (7) other than plain old XP, that they literally forced on every system made back then.

Don't ever upgrade unless you have to for some paywall software you need for work....sad fucking days when a monopoly that is so clearly in total control of the market never gets called on it.

Fuck you Gates.

Oh my! 😂

I was talking about windows media player to a friend...

When they first removed it in 10, I was a bit miffed about that. How am I gonna rip songs from my cd's now? WTF!!!

Today...

What's a CD? When was the last time I bought one? When was the last time I ever Looked at my CD collection? 😂

Picture resizer you say? I don't ever remember that one! 😝

Personally, I'm ok with Microsoft being 100 percent focused on the operating system, and letting someone else being focused on whatever app they are building.

Spotify is all I need for music anymore theses days. AllTrails works great for my hiking adventures. Both of these are basically free!

I'm ok with paying nine bucks a month for Photoshop these days, that program has evolved to one unreal piece of software.

We, the consumer, end up with Far better products when companies focus on what they do best. 👍🏼

C-2

Reaction score
Mobster, regarding Cd's - don't throw them out or sell them! A lot of the music found on Spotify, Tidal, Amazon HD and Qoboz are "remastered" due to royalties. Sometimes that means guys like Rob Halford or Klaus Mein re-sing the vocals when they are in their 60's....and often times it sounds like crap. I hate it. I want the original version.

I'm in the process of buying CD's on the cheap with the intent to rip them into FLAC (a fancy word for a "lossless" file) and then store them onto a big ass SSD or NAS. That way I get to listen to the original version, not a pathetic sounding copy. "Lossless means" a bit-perfect copy, to the quality level of a CD or even master tapes.

If you want to elevate your listening to another level, try Tidal - it offers lossless/CD quality streaming, which means you are listening to CD quality+ music instead of compressed mp3 files. Spotify has been dragging ass on introducing a lossless quality plan, but they say it's coming.

Even further, add a DAC to your system, there are tons of high-quality DACS available on the cheap, I use a Helm Bolt and the thing rocks. Just plug and play.

Best addition to Win 10 was "Snipping Tool", they better not get rid of that.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Mobster, regarding Cd's - don't throw them out or sell them! A lot of the music found on Spotify, Tidal, Amazon HD and Qoboz are "remastered" due to royalties. Sometimes that means guys like Rob Halford or Klaus Mein re-sing the vocals when they are in their 60's....and often times it sounds like crap. I hate it. I want the original version.

I'm in the process of buying CD's on the cheap with the intent to rip them into FLAC (a fancy word for a "lossless" file) and then store them onto a big ass SSD or NAS. That way I get to listen to the original version, not a pathetic sounding copy. "Lossless means" a bit-perfect copy, to the quality level of a CD or even master tapes.

If you want to elevate your listening to another level, try Tidal - it offers lossless/CD quality streaming, which means you are listening to CD quality+ music instead of compressed mp3 files. Spotify has been dragging ass on introducing a lossless quality plan, but they say it's coming.

Even further, add a DAC to your system, there are tons of high-quality DACS available on the cheap, I use a Helm Bolt and the thing rocks. Just plug and play.

Best addition to Win 10 was "Snipping Tool", they better not get rid of that.

Even Win10 got rid of the Snipping Tool! It's called Snip and Sketch now. They actually added a few features! Looks like it's still around in Win11. Phew!

@pronstar and I were talking about music "quality" the other day. He works for Mark Levinson now. Maybe he will pop in and fill us in on all the details. ;)

I was dumb enough to get rid of all my albums back in the day. I won't make that mistake with my CD collection!

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Microsoft has been trying to load this for the last 3 months. Every time one of my Dell Laptops (what we use in the office) goes to sleep, Microsoft performs some update. I think they are slowly installing 11 behind my back and want it...I don't.

I have pretty much figured out 10 sort of. I don't need an upgrade.

I still buy all my music on CD's and upload them into itunes as I refuse to buy music from Apple and their controlling nature.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Microsoft has been trying to load this for the last 3 months. Every time one of my Dell Laptops (what we use in the office) goes to sleep, Microsoft performs some update. I think they are slowly installing 11 behind my back and want it...I don't.

I have pretty much figured out 10 sort of. I don't need an upgrade.

I still buy all my music on CD's and upload them into itunes as I refuse to buy music from Apple and their controlling nature.

Have Evan get a paid Spotify family plan, and share it with you. He will get a discount cause he's still in school. You can mark songs as favorites as you listen to them. Yesterday, I told Spotify to play everything on my favorites list. Went the whole day without hearing the same song twice. You can just do the free plan too if you want, you just have to listen to commercials and stuff.

P.S. I have the free plan. I haven't PAID for music for decades. :cool:

P.P.S. You can bluetooth your phone to your fancy new truck, que up Spotify on your phone, and listen whatever music you want.

You gots to get with the 90's bro! 😁 Ask Evan for help, if you need it. ;)

Reactions: C-2

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
My work computer is W10 and I like it. My home PC is W7 and am holding out updating it.
I wouldn't bother upgrading an old W7 machine at this point. Went thru that with a W7 home laptop that had some kind of operating system problem and the only way Microsoft said they could fix the problem was to upgrade to W10. Problem was the machine was too old and the drivers for some of the hardware were not compatible with W10. Finally gave up fighting with it and bought a new laptop.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Have Evan get a paid Spotify family plan, and share it with you. He will get a discount cause he's still in school. You can mark songs as favorites as you listen to them. Yesterday, I told Spotify to play everything on my favorites list. Went the whole day without hearing the same song twice. You can just do the free plan too if you want, you just have to listen to commercials and stuff.

P.S. I have the free plan. I haven't PAID for music for decades. :cool:

P.P.S. You can bluetooth your phone to your fancy new truck, que up Spotify on your phone, and listen whatever music you want.

You gots to get with the 90's bro! 😁 Ask Evan for help, if you need it. ;)

I prefer to have the music on my phone and not internet based. I cant run the strip with cell service, nor sit on Soggy, and most of Ocotillo and listen. Allot of Rice road is still cell phone dead at least for AT&T. I have XM in my fancy truck though. It would be a waste of money to put it in the boat. Best to use downloaded music.

My 12max is a 512 phone with lots of space.

I don't know of a solution for lack of cell data coverage.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I prefer to have the music on my phone and not internet based. I cant run the strip with cell service, nor sit on Soggy, and most of Ocotillo and listen. Allot of Rice road is still cell phone dead at least for AT&T. I have XM in my fancy truck though. It would be a waste of money to put it in the boat. Best to use downloaded music.

My 12max is a 512 phone with lots of space.

I don't know of a solution for lack of cell data coverage.

That's why I suggested the paid plan...

Spotify will save all your music, on your phone, for you to listen to offline. You do NOT get this option with the free plan. :)

Looks like you only get one account with at the student price. Bummer...

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

I straddle the line between automotive and music industries in my current career, and have never heard this…?

Post a link to such a song please, I’d love to hear it.

You can get lossless on Amazon and iTunes as well as Tidal 👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
No, it's for people that want their computers to work.

No, its for people that don't know HOW to work a computer! 😁

I'll never forget hearing Jobs say (freaking decades ago) that he wanted a working a computer to be as simple as working a toaster. And basically, that's what he did!

So now since we all know toasters only make toast, well, that's what you get with a Apple Computer. Simple. Basic. Useless.

How did Apple get so massively popular then???

They took a page out of the democratic party's handbook. Let's time travel back to 1978 and have a look shall we??

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
No, its for people that don't know HOW to work a computer! 😁

I'll never forget hearing Jobs say (freaking decades ago) that he wanted a working a computer to be as simple as working a toaster. And basically, that's what he did!

So now since we all know toasters only make toast, well, that's what you get with a Apple Computer. Simple. Basic. Useless.

How did Apple get so massively popular then???

They took a page out of the democratic party's handbook. Let's time travel back to 1978 and have a look shall we??

It's kinda like having a hot rod for a commuter car. I don't wanna be under the hood all the time tinkering. I just want to get in and go where I gotta go. And yes, the wife is a caveman when it comes to tech, so handing her an Apple product reduces the amount of "tech support" I have to perform around the house.