WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Great Loop

LAPII

Reaction score
Anyone on here with experience doing it? Would a CC cut it?

Nokomis

Nobody
Reaction score
The Great Loop is on my bucket list for sure. Some people speed-run the loop in open boats, but usually, the open boat/trailer boat people do the loop one section at a time. There is no section of the Loop where you need a big boat as nearly all of it can be done ICW.

Timing of the season for the northern sections, weather, the hassle of not having a galley and staying in hotels is where the small boats fall short.

My Loop trip will have me buy a boat in Florida, take 8-10 months to loop, then sell the boat when I get back to Florida as I wouldn't want to own a liveaboard long term.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I have been looking and thinking about doing this for a couple of years. Have to wait for the last dog to cross the rainbow bridge and then I will start researching hard.

Yes you can do it in a CC, but depending how big and what comforts you want will decide if it is a fun trip or not. I thought a saw an app a few years ago that had all the marinas shown on a map. Can't seam to find it now.

I don't have a proper boat to do it. I will buy one and after I will sell it. I am thinking something like this.
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2006-cruisers-477-sport-sedan-5408507/

Probably do not need something like that as my wife said she would want to spend every other night in a hotel :rolleyes:, but hoping that once we are doing it she would realize that it is fun staying on the boat. Trying to figure a budget is going to be difficult as I want to try to figure out how much it will cost me for the boat over all. IE cost to buy vs what I can sell if for a year later.

stoker

Reaction score
I have done the ICW from Florida to Long Island NY. I would recommend a single engine trawler with a full keel to protect you running gear in the event of grounding. 45‘ feet with air clearance less than 17’ is about as big as you would want t go due to Marina limitations and bridge clearances.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Anyone on here with experience doing it? Would a CC cut it?

There are many people that have done the Great Loop in less type boats, such as jet skies and deck boats. But they did that at the expense of luxury. Tent camping, too me, is impractical.

I actually know a lot about the Great Loop and it’s multiple routes. I was still downing my morning coffee on my first post.

I have read many trip reports, blogs, and articles about the loop. I have also done several sections of the loop while delivering boats up and down the east coast. Here are a few things to think about in no random order, but with a Center Console twist.

How are you going to get to dinghy dock when there are no transient slips available? Will you even have a much needed dinghy?

Where are you going to sleep when there are no hotels near by? Sure, many loopers (that is what they are called) take a break from time to time, but there are many places where that won’t be feasible.

What is your plan for bugs? This is the main reason why the Flybridge on a looper boat can get enclosed with eisenglass and screens.

Can you live on that Center Console for at least 4 months? Even if you stayed every night in a hotel, the CC would get old and tiring. Does it have autopilot? That, to me, is a must have item.

There are many Costco’s and Walmart’s along the route. Where are you going to store provisions? Cook Meals? Watch TV while waiting out the many storms you will inevitably encounter?

Here is my suggestion. Join the Great Loop Association. You will find, at the end of each season, looper boats for sale. Usually 20 to 30 year old trawlers, that have been well maintained and completely set up for the great loop. They are usually 40k to 60k. Sure, there are much more expensive ones, but you don’t need to spend 400k. There are many Loopers that do it once, and then move on to other bucket list places. A very livable alternative, is to remove the mast of a 40ft sailboat, that has less than 4ft draft, speak about fuel efficient!

The Great Loop starts in the spring in Florida. The American Great Loop Association always has a rendezvous to get things started. It’s a great way to meet others. You also will meet many loopers along the way, because, just like you, they will have the great loop flag flying!

I can probably answer some specific question too. I know the lock system. The Canadian route. The offshoot from the Mississippi to the Tennessee river that will end in the Gulf of Mexico. You will need approx 350 (could be 300) miles of range in one part of the Mississipp or have fuel delivered by truck.

the end.... sorry phone call.

Last edited:

Civil Onrest

Reaction score
couple of guys did it in a 17' Montauk. when they were young. Heard they are getting together to do it again in the same boat.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
couple of guys did it in a 17' Montauk. when they were young. Heard they are getting together to do it again in the same boat.

I know..... I will post the link. Give me a few Min.