WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV Decals Removal Proactively?

gqchris

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Has anyone ever proactively removed the decals off their newer RV? I have a 2018 Class C and I am thinking ahead and starting to see the decals get weathered. How was the end result? I know how hard they are to remove once they are cracked and chalked up and want to avoid that shit down the road! Post some pics if you got em of the end result!

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
I am sure that the old decals will be "ghosted" into the fiberglass. Curious if those have had luck buffing them out also?

gqchris

Reaction score
you need to remove them right after they are put on... otherwise they ghost the gel and you have put them back on...
Ugh was worried about that. A little too late for that I suppose then.

gqchris

Reaction score
and no, even buffing they will stil be there... you can make it better with buffing , but never complete gone

I suppose a respray could be an option after peeled, albeit pricey I am sure. I just hate the way the sun kills these coaches when stuck leaving them outdoors.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Did mine right after I bought it. A 2018 will have ghosting. Will you get it out with buffing? Maybe. But I doubt it.

The predicament you are in is exactly the reason I did it immediately.
With graphics you do it right away or never.
D930D43B-1BCC-4AC6-B3A5-5B8A505A6BF0.jpeg

Bobby_329

Reaction score
I pulled old crusty decals off the back of my toy hauler. Sanded it with a da and then buffed it. the gosting came out it looks like fresh gel but no way i would do that to the whole 40' trailer way too much work.

gqchris

Reaction score
I ordered mine without the decals. Had to pay $250 extra. The rest of the silly warning stuff I removed with a pressure washer.

Thats perfect. Wish I was the first owner would have done this without a blink of an eye!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
#worthit

I made fun of them for the chicken shit charge too. I can’t tell you how many dudes come up to me and complement me on my planning.
Picking up a new Vortex this weekend. Guess I have a date with a heat gun in the near future. I’m too cheap to pay somebody to not do anything, lol 😝

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Buffing out that ghosting will be a lot of work. Especially if it is gel coat.

You might try a small spot first to see how it comes out.

gqchris

Reaction score
Buffing out that ghosting will be a lot of work. Especially if it is gel coat.

You might try a small spot first to see how it comes out.
Yes I just pulled up a slight edge on one sticker, and its way different color of course. Damn.

gqchris

Reaction score
Well, Maybe the next best plan is to buy a full decal set from Winnebago while I can still get them and just hold on to them for when the inevitable time comes.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
The main problem is the buffing of gel coat is a really tough shit job. My buddy did it and it literally took forever. He probably did a cut n buff. And after he did it you can still kind of see it under the right lighting

however as time went on the entire coach started to fade again but this time more evenly. So 5 years later it is not as noticeable.

I tried that once years ago and my elbow still hurts. Lol

Yes I just pulled up a slight edge on one sticker, and its way different color of course. Damn.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Ormond Hendricks does wonders on helping remove (or as close to) hiding ghosting. Also does the removal.
He goes all over so cal.
PM for number if anyone wants it.

81Sprint

Reaction score
I did this on my old 06 Weekend Warrior, it is not fun! I used a product called GraphXoff, then some wet sanding and cut and buff. Took me a good month of every weekend working on it. You will have ghosting no doubt if it has sat in the sun

Warrior graphics.jpg

Warrior after graphics.jpg

gqchris

Reaction score
Just so you guys know, I also have had this Ceramic Coated twice in the 4 years I have owned. Both professionally applied. My opinion on it? Snake Oil.

Yes, it cuts down the staining and water beading, but for UV protection, nonsense. AT least for gelcoat.

Cdog

Reaction score
Just so you guys know, I also have had this Ceramic Coated twice in the 4 years I have owned. Both professionally applied. My opinion on it? Snake Oil.

Yes, it cuts down the staining and water beading, but for UV protection, nonsense. AT least for gelcoat.

Good to know. Too expensive for my cheap ass. I use the miguires marine wax in the blue bottle

81Sprint

Reaction score
There is also a company called Stroud RV Recon in socal i contacted before i did mine myself. Seem to know what they are doing and reasonable

81Sprint

Reaction score

I've been going back and forth with Ceramic for my '21. Keep hearing good and bad on it

LowRiver2

Reaction score

100% agree for RV gelcoat
Better off wax twice a year for way less money.

81Sprint

Reaction score
I used this on my new RV, and it discolored some of my graphics. I would stay away from it

1623948805346.png

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I did this on my old 06 Weekend Warrior, it is not fun! I used a product called GraphXoff, then some wet sanding and cut and buff. Took me a good month of every weekend working on it. You will have ghosting no doubt if it has sat in the sun

View attachment 1014788
View attachment 1014789
Dam!! Come on over get mine to shine like that. I got all the beer and moral support you need.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Dam!! Come on over get mine to shine like that. I got all the beer and moral support you need.
The cut and buff was the easy part lol, getting the graphics off sucked ass

evantwheeler

Reaction score

View attachment 1014788
View attachment 1014789

This really looks great. I guaranteed the ghosting only bothers you, and no one else notices or cares..

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
First day I brought it home I removed the decals, it’s a 2019. It took me two days and my fingertips will never be the same. Took about a 30 pack of beer in two days as well lol. I can still see ever so slight ghosting in a few spots in the right light. But if you didn’t know you wouldn’t notice.

I get people asking me all the time what make and model because of the wall slide and bunks. I just tell them.... It’s a Ford lol

79BAF05E-2681-4380-AF82-D8BDD55CCA20.jpeg

gqchris

Reaction score
First day I brought it home I removed the decals, it’s a 2019. It took me two days and my fingertips will never be the same. Took about a 30 pack of beer in two days as well lol. I can still see ever so slight ghosting in a few spots in the right light. But if you didn’t know you wouldn’t notice.

I get people asking me all the time what make and model because of the wall slide and bunks. I just tell them.... It’s a Ford lol

View attachment 1014822
Looks great! Exactly what I would want.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I had a 2006 31' class C. In 2014 the graphics were bad. Started to remove myself and said fuck that. Took it to a graphics shop in El Cajon, CA. They removed old graphics. Cut buffed entire couch. Then cut new graphics to match the old pattern. Made my 8 yr old couch look new. Kept it 3 more years. It looked so good that I believe I got 5 k more for it than what others were selling/listed for. My cost was 2K.

When I get a new one it will have no graphics or it will be painted on.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Dammit, I use this on my boat and trailer
It only did so on the gold colored stickers, the dark ones didn't see anything. But they are a different texture and seemed to soak in the wax instead of drying to a haze. Could be the sticker and not the wax
Outback new.jpg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
#worthit

I made fun of them for the chicken shit charge too. I can’t tell you how many dudes come up to me and complement me on my planning.

Yup, you saved yourself a lot of time and hassle right from the get go. Most people don't order their rigs, so you had a great opportunity to get it done.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I am sure that the old decals will be "ghosted" into the fiberglass. Curious if those have had luck buffing them out also?
I want to say Froggystyle cut and buffed his ghosted decals on his rig. If I remember correctly it was a pain. I did this on the rear of my class C with only a small ghosting and it damn near all day. I have the wheels and the polisher if you want to borrow it.

81Sprint

Reaction score
This stuff works wonders. Use low speed on orbital with a good wool pad, got most of my ghosting out on the Warrior. And that was on 15 year old baked on stickers.
1624029375627.png

81Sprint

Reaction score
This is the side that was in the sun, so the adhesive was baked on and i had to lightly wet sand it after getting the graphics off. Used the 3m compound above after and it did pretty well, slight ghosting that's hard to see in the photos but its there.

WW passenger side graphics.jpg

WW after pass.jpg

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
For those of you lookin to remove decals look up the 3M magic eraser. That thing is legit.

I have used it before.

previously I used a heat gun and 3M sticker remover

gqchris

Reaction score
This is the side that was in the sun, so the adhesive was baked on and i had to lightly wet sand it after getting the graphics off. Used the 3m compound above after and it did pretty well, slight ghosting that's hard to see in the photos but its there.

View attachment 1015148
View attachment 1015149
This looks great and has sparked some more hope into me! LOL