WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New trucks.....

buck35

Reaction score
So I'm in the market but not willing to pay stupid prices. How long is the chip shortage going to Continue and how will this affect thee 2022s or all the unsllabe 2021s

pkbullet

Reaction score
So I'm in the market but not willing to pay stupid prices. How long is the chip shortage going to Continue and how will this affect thee 2022s or all the unsllabe 2021s
Truck prices will be affected for a significant time period. We have lost at least 4 months of production in a high demand environment, there is no catching up. The average age of a vehicle on the road is 12 years. The car business will be solid for quite a while. Dealers have gotten used to higher margins and lower volume. Giving vehicles away and low returns in new vehicle departments may not be the trend for quite a while. I can’t tell you when supply will exceed demand but I am betting not in 2022.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Into 2022. I bet It will be a year before you see some pricing relief and supply starts catching up.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
My industry uses the same chips as the auto guys. We are hearing late 22 before they get any relief (they are first in line, paying the expedite) and we are middle or so (also paying the expedite but not as much) and we are about mid 23

Xring01

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 about 3 weeks ago.
I was able to get it $6500 below sticker, but I am used to getting $10K below sticker.
Now I had to shop my ass off, and I didnt have alot of choices in colors etc etc.

But I did get a decent deal in my opinion.

Now for the bad news….
Electric Trucks will be are hitting the market. Ford is taking orders, Chevy will be taking orders, RIvian will start delivery and so will Tesla.

So why is this bad news… Well this is the last generation of Gas trucks. I doubt they will get any better, and the worst part, the demand for these last generation gas trucks will be very very high, because some people will take a decade or more to shift to electric… Therefore the price of the gas trucks will remain quite high for the foreseable future. THATS MY OPINION…

Regardless, its the last generation, and supply demand equation, puts the sellers at a huge advantage. I dont see that changing

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
My industry uses the same chips as the auto guys. We are hearing late 22 before they get any relief (they are first in line, paying the expedite) and we are middle or so (also paying the expedite but not as much) and we are about mid 23

What kind of chips you talking.......waves or old fashion? :looking:

hallett21

Reaction score
Geez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buck35

Reaction score
Truck prices will be affected for a significant time period. We have lost at least 4 months of production in a high demand environment, there is no catching up. The average age of a vehicle on the road is 12 years. The car business will be solid for quite a while. Dealers have gotten used to higher margins and lower volume. Giving vehicles away and low returns in new vehicle departments may not be the trend for quite a while. I can’t tell you when supply will exceed demand but I am betting not in 2022.
So approximately how many trucks are sitting unusable?

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I’m actually trying to sell my boat so I can sell my dually because prices are so crazy. Even the trade in numbers are really good!

riverroyal

Reaction score
So approximately how many trucks are sitting unusable?
Well over 100000 fords. You can find pics online. Kentucky speedway seems to have the most.

Bigger problem is dealerships now need to lay off sales force. Nothing to sell. Nothing to bargain on.

I will sell my 2021 f150 for 105000. 😀
20210508_181326.jpg
IMG_5292.jpg
20210508_181326.jpg

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I have a friend that ordered a truck in March. F150. Still doesn’t have it so the question is are people going to pay new car prices in a few months for last years model? A truck that’s been sitting out in a parking lot for 8 months to a year? Or will they wait for the 2022s? Will that lower the prices of the 2021’s? Or will they fly off the shelf at full price because need them or are unwilling to wait for a 2022?

Bajastu

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2021 F250 diesel Tremor and I was able to get a good deal. But I made them pay through the roof for my 2019 Raptor trade in. It was a give/take situation. I also avoided the $8,600 markup they were asking on the F250. They can rip off someone else with that BS.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
The "New" car dealers here, both ford and chevy have nothing but used cars on their lots. Seams like the are buying at auction in order to have something to sell.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I have a friend that ordered a truck in March. F150. Still doesn’t have it so the question is are people going to pay new car prices in a few months for last years model?

That vehicle doesn’t really exist.
Dealers have little to no inventory right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
With Covid 19 outbreaks in areas of the world that haven’t reached herd immunity yet the supply chain for a lot of goods will continue to be impaired.

If your not desperate for a new vehicle I would hold off. You have zero leverage to negotiate a good price when the dealer lots are close to empty! My best guess is the chip shortage will continue to be an issue until at least Q3 next year (possibly longer) when the 2023 models start rolling off the assembly lines?

pkbullet

Reaction score
Our over sticker markup is currently 4K without a trade, 2k with. We can not afford to sell to customers that do not have a retail trade. To maintain enough inventory to sustain sales transactions must be 1 for 1. We adjust our over MSRP markup to slow or speed up our sales based on availability. It is a difficult balance to hit the sweet spot between demand, availability and price to maintain a constant stock. Surprised some of you have gotten discounts on trucks, there is significantly more demand then availability. I wish we had sold less in first quarter, but manufactures were providing inaccurate info on production at that point.

D19

Reaction score
I wonder how much increasing fuel prices will effect demand/pricing on trucks.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind, regarding the Ford Super Duty. ALL the Super Duties that are produced in Kentucky (now sitting at the speedway) are all SOLD already. They have said that even once the chip shortage is figured out, they will keep the supply down to keep margins high. Welcome to the new normal. Glad I bought my truck when I did.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Currently a lot of want out there confused for need. I'm just sitting back laughing at the situation.... All my shit is paid off, and the idea of buying selling or trading up or down is absolutely ridiculous right now. The frenzy of bullshit is off the charts since last year. Houses, cars, boats, whatever.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I don't see truck prices dropping at all, yea you may get a better deal when inventory and demand changes. Do i see that MSRP of 75k for a ford truck dropping back to 65k? I doubt it when things return to somewhat normal.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I’m starting to think what I paid for my truck is actually reasonable two years ago! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm starting to think what i paid 3 months ago is reasonable lol, hell no, shit is way over priced.

RCDave

Reaction score
Currently a lot of want out there confused for need. I'm just sitting back laughing at the situation.... All my shit is paid off, and the idea of buying selling or trading up or down is absolutely ridiculous right now. The frenzy of bullshit is off the charts since last year. Houses, cars, boats, whatever.

THIS.....Glad all my cars are free and clear and in good shape

pkbullet

Reaction score
Not really, the average age of a vehicle on the road just hit 12.1 years for the first time. It is going to be a very good run in the car business. Dealerships are selling at record high multiples currently based on forecasts.

TVMNick

Reaction score
Our over sticker markup is currently 4K without a trade, 2k with. We can not afford to sell to customers that do not have a retail trade. To maintain enough inventory to sustain sales transactions must be 1 for 1. We adjust our over MSRP markup to slow or speed up our sales based on availability. It is a difficult balance to hit the sweet spot between demand, availability and price to maintain a constant stock. Surprised some of you have gotten discounts on trucks, there is significantly more demand then availability. I wish we had sold less in first quarter, but manufactures were providing inaccurate info on production at that point.

I have the exact same issue at my dealership, manufacturer info was widely inaccurate and led to us pushing harder in Q1 than we should have.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Thought that too
Till my 6.7 Ford grenaded the fuel pump: 10k fix out of warranty.
2 year warranty on the repair, will be paying stupid prices for a truck as I’m not waiting around for it to implode again.
Bunch of 6.7’s are doing it , even 19’s

pronstar

Reaction score
Used prices are cray-cray…

IMG_7067.jpg

Good article on how dealers are finding used inventory:

IMG_7068.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thought that too
Till my 6.7 Ford grenaded the fuel pump: 10k fix out of warranty.
2 year warranty on the repair, will be paying stupid prices for a truck as I’m not waiting around for it to implode again.
Bunch of 6.7’s are doing it , even 19’s

That repair is only 10 months of payments on a new truck. :p

I've heard the key is running fuel additive, and running one of the pump failsafe kits so if it grenades, it does not take out the entire fuel system.

Not an owner though so I don't know for sure.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
That repair is only 10 months of payments on a new truck. :p

I've heard the key is running fuel additive, and running one of the pump failsafe kits so if it grenades, it does not take out the entire fuel system. Also only bought fuel at major brand stations .

Not an owner though so I don't know for sure.
Lubrication is key (additives)
I changed both fuel filters every 10k miles , added the extra additives every 3-4 tanks

It is happening nationwide to 6.7’s from 11’ to 19’s
Florida has a class action lawsuit against Ford over it.
Major finger pointing between Ford and the fuel companies.

The Bosch CP4 and CP4.2 fuel pumps may be a factor as well. GM had same pump 11-1not as amnu failures
GM went to a Denso pump , I can’t find issues witn it other than #5 injector going out on some

This is all my “aquired” info I’ve picked up since this, anyone with better intel please chime in.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I changed both fuel filters every 10k miles , added the extra additives every 3-4 tanks

The Bosch CP4 and CP4.2 fuel pumps may be a factor as well. GM had same pump 11-1not as amnu failures
GM went to a Denso pump , I can’t find issues witn it other than #5 injector going out on some

This is all my “aquired” info I’ve picked up since this, anyone with better intel please chime in.

The people I know are running additives in 3 out of 4 tanks. Again, no idea what is right or wrong, but it is a major issue and keeps me personally from buying a diesel truck. We are talking a $20K+ uplift on a diesel truck after a fuel system repair.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The people I know are running additives in 3 out of 4 tanks. Again, no idea what is right or wrong, but it is a major issue and keeps me personally from buying a diesel truck. We are talking a $20K+ uplift on a diesel truck after a fuel system repair.
If I didn’t have a wife that loves a toy hauler over a MH, I’d be back in a 1/2 ton.

I think the epa guidelines have made diesel fuel turn to crap, and the fuel delivery systems can’t adjust to it.
This was my second fuel pump grenade, truck has 93k miles on it. No way no how is that acceptable for a diesel truck. Was only “second” time, so no lemon law attorney will touch it.

Trading this truck in as I couldn’t have a clear conscience selling it knowing this pump is bound to grenade again.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

With these new trucks and all the electronics on them the extended warranty is valuable.

Drive it like you stole it till it breaks.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
With these new trucks and all the electronics on them the extended warranty is valuable.

Drive it like you stole it till it breaks.
That’s just it:
My 12’ XLT was basic
But the extended warranty would’ve helped for sure

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
Yep, crazy times.....for fun and giggles I asked Vroom how much for my 2016 GMC 1500 4X, $54K sticker, paid $42.2k plus tax ,lic., they offered $38K....nuts. That means I can easily get around $40K private sale, especially private in AZ.....

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
For those in the car business what kind of chips are they missing or is it all types?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Yep, crazy times.....for fun and giggles I asked Vroom how much for my 2016 GMC 1500 4X, $54K sticker, paid $42.2k plus tax ,lic., they offered $38K....nuts. That means I can easily get around $40K private sale, especially private in AZ.....
Dealer will be able to finance them easier so hard to say selling private. Traded in my 18 1500 got 35k I paid 37k new. Selling private party not many people sitting on 40k cash. Dealer sold is in a week but my guess is buyer financed it. I got a new loaded 2500 Z71 that was in transit. Nobody had 1 in stock.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score

This^

I have a 60k LML duramax that I just did the fuel system upgrade too. The cp3 conversion kit is in the ball park of 3-4k depending on what you want to do. The problem with the cp4 is that the pump will self detonate with improper lubrication. When the pumps do let loose it is the shrapnel that get pushed down the line that rings up the bill. Synergy makes a cp4 solenoid that is a dual stainless screen with stainless cage that take the particle filtration down to 10 microns, this solenoid with labor is in the ball park of $800.

To add to the increased supplemental formation and solenoid, it is important to have some sort of lift pump to keep the injection pump from being starved of fuel. I run treatment in every tank being that it is relatively cheap. Most lubrication additives treat 200-400 gallons and are $10 a bottle. Only downside to extra additives are the need for regen more often to clean the dpf, I run an edge ct3 an regen every couple 100 miles while parked
Resized_Resized_20210612_182755.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
For those in the car business what kind of chips are they missing or is it all types?

All types.

It’s affecting every industry that uses computer chips.l [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LowRiver2

Reaction score
This^

I have a 60k LML duramax that I just did the fuel system upgrade too. The cp3 conversion kit is in the ball park of 3-4k depending on what you want to do. The problem with the cp4 is that the pump will self detonate with improper lubrication. When the pumps do let loose it is the shrapnel that get pushed down the line that rings up the bill. Synergy makes a cp4 solenoid that is a dual stainless screen with stainless cage that take the particle filtration down to 10 microns, this solenoid with labor is in the ball park of $800.

To add to the increased supplemental formation and solenoid, it is important to have some sort of lift pump to keep the injection pump from being starved of fuel. I run treatment in every tank being that it is relatively cheap. Most lubrication additives treat 200-400 gallons and are $10 a bottle. Only downside to extra additives are the need for regen more often to clean the dpf, I run an edge ct3 an regen every couple 100 miles while parked View attachment 1017493

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
So stock Diesel engines have turned into airplane engines for maintenance, noted

Jokes aside , you are doing everything right.
I tried to do everything minus actual upgrades and lost.

attitude

Reaction score
Terrible time to buy a car but unfortunately our new baby will be here in a September and mom needs a bigger car to fit two babies. Seeing Sierra Denalis that sold for 42k are worth 38k makes me feel a lot better about buying a Yukon Denali that sold in the 70-80k range for 40-42k with 60k ish miles.