WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Johnson Family vacation!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Awesome vacation and pics. bummer to see it come to an end. I like the looks of the small towns and Idaho. Might have to take the wife on a road trip up there this fall.

Taboma

Reaction score
Just ate dinner at this campground. They call it glamping and we looked up the prices.. People are willing to pay quite the premium to sleep in a tent and walk to a bathroom / shower.. lol.

Pretty, but I don’t understand the prices for sleeping in a tent. More or less paying crazy money to rough it somewhat.

Had a very left feeling to it if ya know what I mean..

The restaurant kicked ass though.. View attachment 1016425 View attachment 1016426 View attachment 1016427 View attachment 1016428 View attachment 1016429 View attachment 1016430

I could imagine that being a huge draw for European travelers.

rush1

Reaction score
well technically this is kind of our first motorhome trip.. so I’m learning as we go. Lol.
The rest of the trips we are just off-roading somewhere.
I never cared much about anything other than the fuel gauge.
Can you take a crap without someone telling you your doing it wrong ?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You know, out of all the badass boats, RV's and toy threads everybody has on here, this vacation thread has me by FAR the most envious. I REALLY want to take my family on a trip exactly like this real soon. I hope I can afford to do so while my kids are still young enough for them to enjoy it and for it to make an impression on them.

81Sprint

Reaction score
You know, out of all the badass boats, RV's and toy threads everybody has on here, this vacation thread has me by FAR the most envious. I REALLY want to take my family on a trip exactly like this real soon. I hope I can afford to do so while my kids are still young enough for them to enjoy it and for it to make an impression on them.
Same here, crazy how you get wrapped up in the normal day to day routine and think i need to plan something and never do. Just told my Wife we are doing it, no more waiting, none of us are getting any younger.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Same here, crazy how you get wrapped up in the normal day to day routine and think i need to plan something and never do. Just told my Wife we are doing it, no more waiting, none of us are getting any younger.

I look forward to seeing the thread!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Motorhome aside this trip has been extremely affordable compared to going to LOTO or Florida. I’d bet with the fuel / food and even the park passes at the lagoon we spent less than 2500.00. If we went to LOTO the rental cars, hotels, plane and food would be over 5k.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Motorhome aside this trip has been extremely affordable compared to going to LOTO or Florida. I’d bet with the fuel / food and even the park passes at the lagoon we spent less than 2500.00. If we went to LOTO the rental cars, hotels, plane and food would be over 5k.
Thats kinda what I was figuring. Its the RV part that is expensive and what is really stopping it all for us so far.

fmo24

Reaction score
Thats kinda what I was figuring. Its the RV part that is expensive and what is really stopping it all for us so far.
It does not have to be an expensive set up. Vic just scored a nice trailer that should suit his family well. We travel full time so food is same as living in a house. Don’t really eat out much. Fuel is the biggie. Stay at membership campgrounds so no out of pocket cost there. It can be very affordable recreation for a family.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Thanks RD, now you got me looking at RV rentals for June 2022...we really need a road trip like this.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It does not have to be an expensive set up. Vic just scored a nice trailer that should suit his family well. We travel full time so food is same as living in a house. Don’t really eat out much. Fuel is the biggie. Stay at membership campgrounds so no out of pocket cost there. It can be very affordable recreation for a family.
Oh I know. I grew up going RV'ing. We just dont have the money for a trailer at the moment and with 4 girls under the age of 7, a larger trailer is kinda a necessity. We have found plenty of floor plans that would suit our needs perfectly, its just finding that $$ to make it happen is all.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

you have a 3/4 ton? I’d get a work and play trailer or a nomad and never look back.. affordable and functional as hell.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Spotted that vehicle in the self-serve wrecking yard… you pick your part… penrose and Tujunga in Sun Valley… this probably would’ve been over 20 years ago???… at the time I had not seen the movie so I did not know what I was looking at…No clue as to whether it got crushed???…

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
you have a 3/4 ton? I’d get a work and play trailer or a nomad and never look back.. affordable and functional as hell.
Nope. My same ol' half ton and the wife's Escalade. they have a rating of 8k and 7,800 respectfully so there are trailers in our weight range that are nice sizes and layouts, just no $$$

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ya know...

When I was a kid, my parents took me CAMPING!!!

Most of my memories are from my dad's Olds. Hitched up the boat, piled the tents, cots and kitchen sink in it and hit the road.

We went everywhere from Cachuma to Clear Lake to Tahoe and always had a blast.

My kids know the comfort of the toy hauler, but they also know how to set up a dome tent and how to pack a back pack.

Don't be a wuss. Take your kids camping!! Or, you can watch from the sidelines.

Choose wisely. Before it's too late...

flat540

Reaction score
Here's how we have launched our boats from the South shore OF Bear Lake for Decades........Gods Country....... 20210621_173632.jpg
20210621_173632.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Left our camp site at 11:30 am this morning.. this is where we are at right now. Stopped for a nice lunch and I bought some new tires for the car hauler because they were lookin a little suspect..

Doubt I’m gonna make Havasu tonight because I’m freaking beat.. I’ll run a couple more hours and take a nap.

EA354F57-E6AE-4A50-BC9E-1A9E60ADF1DD.png

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Left our camp site at 11:30 am this morning.. this is where we are at right now. Stopped for a nice lunch and I bought some new tires for the car hauler because they were lookin a little suspect..

Doubt I’m gonna make Havasu tonight because I’m freaking beat.. I’ll run a couple more hours and take a nap.

View attachment 1016849
Dave there is a decent rest stop about 45 minutes south if where you are, a few miles north of Paragona

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
This trip has truly been what the doctor ordered. The climate of the Real Estate market fright now was driving me to the brink of insanity. I have so many amazing memories camping with my Dad and grandparents when I was young. I tent camped, hunted and fished with my Dad and my grandparents rented RVs and took the grandkids every summer. I’m so happy my kids are at the perfect age and we actually made this trip happen. I’ve learned with Dave I just have to book something and he makes it happen. He’s driven so many hours and worked hard to make it all go smooth. The kids had a blast and we really got some quality time with them. We discovered Daniel loves fishing, Sierra loves cows and Summer wants to ride horses. They made friends everywhere they went and were out every night playing until it got dark around 10pm. We didn’t set any alarms and had no commitments. We winged everything and it was perfect. Time to go back to the heat, work and reality. But I’ll be at work immediately planning our next road trip.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score

View attachment 1016849
Just north of home

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Dave there is a decent rest stop about 45 minutes south if where you are, a few miles north of Paragona
Shit out there just pull over at any exit and its pretty

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
This trip has truly been what the doctor ordered. The climate of the Real Estate market fright now was driving me to the brink of insanity. I have so many amazing memories camping with my Dad and grandparents when I was young. I tent camped, hunted and fished with my Dad and my grandparents rented RVs and took the grandkids every summer. I’m so happy my kids are at the perfect age and we actually made this trip happen. I’ve learned with Dave I just have to book something and he makes it happen. He’s driven so many hours and worked hard to make it all go smooth. The kids had a blast and we really got some quality time with them. We discovered Daniel loves fishing, Sierra loves cows and Summer wants to ride horses. They made friends everywhere they went and were out every night playing until it got dark around 10pm. We didn’t set any alarms and had no commitments. We winged everything and it was perfect. Time to go back to the heat, work and reality. But I’ll be at work immediately planning our next road trip.

That’s awesome. I just told my wife about this thread. You got us thinking this is probably what we need to. I’m all over the place for work. We wanna plan something!

flat540

Reaction score
You Truly retraced the steps OF My childhood, on your Vacation, that My Parents and Grandparents took me and my siblings on Growing up.. Trust me Your children will NEVER forget this Vacation......Good on ya Guys.....😊👍🇺🇸
Thanks for sharing.....

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Just ate dinner at this campground. They call it glamping and we looked up the prices.. People are willing to pay quite the premium to sleep in a tent and walk to a bathroom / shower.. lol.

Pretty, but I don’t understand the prices for sleeping in a tent. More or less paying crazy money to rough it somewhat.

Had a very left feeling to it if ya know what I mean..

The restaurant kicked ass though.. View attachment 1016425 View attachment 1016426 View attachment 1016427 View attachment 1016428 View attachment 1016429 View attachment 1016430

Those wood framed wall tents are more one room cabins than a backpack tent. Full on bed frame and mattress for sleeping and all the high end luxuries, it's just the walls are canvas instead of wood.

I've looked into something like that at the lake for extra sleeping accomodations. Just don't have to time to put the canvas up at the beginning of the season and take it back down at the end.

The cowboy teepees are kinda cool too, and can get all decked out as well.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Ya know...

When I was a kid, my parents took me CAMPING!!!

Most of my memories are from my dad's Olds. Hitched up the boat, piled the tents, cots and kitchen sink in it and hit the road.

We went everywhere from Cachuma to Clear Lake to Tahoe and always had a blast.

My kids know the comfort of the toy hauler, but they also know how to set up a dome tent and how to pack a back pack.

Don't be a wuss. Take your kids camping!! Or, you can watch from the sidelines.

Choose wisely. Before it's too late...

This. I was well into my 30's before we bought a small 5th wheel from my in-laws. Before that we tent camped multiple times a year. Kids do not care about an rv. They just want to go do stuff. Make it an adventure for everyone and you should have a good time.

buck35

Reaction score
Yor slippen Johnson... you get home?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yor slippen Johnson... you get home?

So it was Summers b day yesterday and she said she wanted to be hole so she could swim with her friends.. So with that we packed up out of bear lake and I started driving south.

I did take the 89 on someone’s suggestion here.. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL drive! I didn’t take any pics unfortunately because I had my hands full with the motorhome on the mountain roads. We had so many bugs on the windshield the pics wouldn’t have turned out that great anyways.. I think Stacy took some which I’ll get today.

We ran as far as we could and stopped at the rest area on the 15 someone else recommended.. I couldn’t sleep because the diesels were all idling, so I drove further and we stopped out in the middle of the AZ Strip and camped on BLM land. Once again I was struggling with the sleeping even though I was so tired my vision was blurry.. finally fell asleep at around 4:30.

Woke up at 5:45 and drove the rest of the way to Havasu.

While I was on the road I made a deal to purchase a trailer I wanted. I explained to the guy that I was on the road and would come get it either when I got back or the day after. That morning he sent a couple texts talking about his phone blowing up, so I got the impression he was gonna sell it to someone else.. So as soon as I got the motorhome plugged in I jumped in my truck with Frank and drove to Kingman and spent half the afternoon dealing with all that. Got home drank beers and passed out.. took the kids to lunch and now we are caught up. Lol

Thread on new trailer coming now. 😍

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
So it was Summers b day yesterday and she said she wanted to be hole so she could swim with her friends.. So with that we packed up out of bear lake and I started driving south.

I did take the 89 on someone’s suggestion here.. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL drive! I didn’t take any pics unfortunately because I had my hands full with the motorhome on the mountain roads. We had so many bugs on the windshield the pics wouldn’t have turned out that great anyways.. I think Stacy took some which I’ll get today.

We ran as far as we could and stopped at the rest area on the 15 someone else recommended.. I couldn’t sleep because the diesels were all idling, so I drove further and we stopped out in the middle of the AZ Strip and camped on BLM land. Once again I was struggling with the sleeping even though I was so tired my vision was blurry.. finally fell asleep at around 4:30.

While I was on the road I made a deal to purchase a trailer I wanted. I explained to the guy that I was on the road and would come get it either when I got back or the day after. That morning he sent a couple texts talking about his phone blowing up, so I got the impression he was gonna sell it to someone else.. So as soon as I got the motorhome plugged in I jumped in my truck with Frank and drove to Kingman and spent half the afternoon dealing with all that. Got home drank beers and passed out.. took the kids to lunch and now we are caught up. Lol

I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force. :p

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
CAnt get over the water color it’s beautiful.. Definitely a place i would come back too. They don’t have anything on the water to my knowledge, it was pretty blown out so we didn’t go to far in the rental.. lol. We had a great time idling around and towing the kids on the tube and just relaxing.
Back at the KOA now and the kids are off on a scavenger hunt.. I’m gonna take a nap.
View attachment 1016300 View attachment 1016301 View attachment 1016302 View attachment 1016303 View attachment 1016304

I have lost track of where you are! What lake is that?

Tank

Reaction score

Dude, you need a vacation from your vacation. You're gonna kill yourself you run like that non stop Dave!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The key to driving when tired is to get a hard on big enough that there’s no skin left to close your eyes with. Glad you guys made it home safe, looked like an epic trip.

lmao!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Dude, you need a vacation from your vacation. You're gonna kill yourself you run like that non stop Dave!

When I was younger and going to the river every weekend, I would tell the guys at work...

Fuck man, I had to come back to work to rest!

Most didn't have a clue...

Tank

Reaction score
When I was younger and going to the river every weekend, I would tell the guys at work...

Wife and I say it every time we go anywhere that we need a few days off from the vacation just to recover when we get back. The struggle is real! 😁

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
All through my 20’s and 30’s was like that.. lol

Right?

I would have people tell me, how the hell do you do it? My stock answer was...

I'll have plenty of time to rest when I'm dead.

Plus, Im just way too ADD to sit still! 😁

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score

… so true… so true… in the mid to late 60s👍…But somehow everybody managed to make it to work Monday morning???…

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
… so true… so true… in the mid to late 60s👍…But somehow everybody managed to make it to work Monday morning???…

Yes sir...

Useless on Monday...
Better on Tuesday...
Getting my shit together on Wednesday...
Packing up Thursday...
Heading to the river again on Friday...

That was my endless summer...

😁😁