WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hardin Marine SS Sea Pump

shunter2005

Reaction score
About 3-4 yrs ago, if I remember correctly, several here, including me, purchased Hardin Marine SS sea pumps. I am not 100% sure yet, but I think that mine is not pushing enough water to the motor. Yesterday I was out and the alarm went off several times. Motor temp was perfect. Manifolds were not overly hot. Plenty of flow out of the exhaust. Mostly when I was coming up on plane and the one time I went WOT for a minute or so. Looking back, I remember that it has gone off intermittently, a few times in the past, since I replaced the OEM sea pump. (Have not been able to use the boat much in the past due to wife's illnesses). This pump doesn't have more than 5-10 hrs on it. I did replace the impeller this year. I do have a water pressure gauge on order and should be here soon. Also thinking of putting the OEM pump back on to see if the problem stops or not.

I never had this issue with the OEM pump. I just changed to SS because it was a pretty good deal at the time. So, I was wondering if anyone who has one of the SS sea pumps is/was having any problems with the alarms going off and found flow issues with the Hardin pump? There are numerous threads on other forums about flow issues with it. Also, plenty who say flow is fine. I just can't think of anything else that would cause the alarms to go off. By the way, OD reservoir is full. However, someone mentioned it might be the reservoir sensor going bad. Guess I could unplug it and see if it continues to go off after that.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I got mine at the same time (454).. no issues

H8Plow

Reaction score
Might want to inspect the thermostat. If it sticks that can reduce flow when your up in the rpm's but will be sufficient at low rpms' or idle.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
About 3-4 yrs ago, if I remember correctly, several here, including me, purchased Hardin Marine SS sea pumps. I am not 100% sure yet, but I think that mine is not pushing enough water to the motor. Yesterday I was out and the alarm went off several times. Motor temp was perfect. Manifolds were not overly hot. Plenty of flow out of the exhaust. Mostly when I was coming up on plane and the one time I went WOT for a minute or so. Looking back, I remember that it has gone off intermittently, a few times in the past, since I replaced the OEM sea pump. (Have not been able to use the boat much in the past due to wife's illnesses). This pump doesn't have more than 5-10 hrs on it. I did replace the impeller this year. I do have a water pressure gauge on order and should be here soon. Also thinking of putting the OEM pump back on to see if the problem stops or not.

I never had this issue with the OEM pump. I just changed to SS because it was a pretty good deal at the time. So, I was wondering if anyone who has one of the SS sea pumps is/was having any problems with the alarms going off and found flow issues with the Hardin pump? There are numerous threads on other forums about flow issues with it. Also, plenty who say flow is fine. I just can't think of anything else that would cause the alarms to go off. By the way, OD reservoir is full. However, someone mentioned it might be the reservoir sensor going bad. Guess I could unplug it and see if it continues to go off after that.

Three to four years?

Have you changed the impeller in that time?

🤔

Opps, just read your post again.

DOH!

I'll go back to my corner now...

shunter2005

Reaction score
Three to four years?

Have you changed the impeller in that time?

🤔

Opps, just read your post again.

DOH!

I'll go back to my corner now...
Just to answer your question. No, but I did this year. The old one was perfect with almost no wear on the back plate. The only thing I saw was the set that impeller had taken over the years.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Might want to inspect the thermostat. If it sticks that can reduce flow when your up in the rpm's but will be sufficient at low rpms' or idle.
I replaced the t-stat a couple of years ago. Had the housing cleaned completely and re-powder coated (outside only) at that time. Not to say that it couldn't have gone bad, but I did replace it.

shunter2005

Reaction score
I did get the new water pressure gauge delivered, so I need to install it. I think Shlbyntro is going to either come down from Austin or me go there and put it on the computer in the next few weeks, when his schedule allows. Hopefully, we will be able to figure out what the issue is.

I know the SS pump may not be the issue, but it does seem strange that the alarm NEVER went off with the OEM pump. It only started after the new Hardin pump was installed. If I end up going back to the OEM style pump, I will have to buy a front housing. When I removed the old pump, I saw that two of the threaded holes that secure the back end to the pump were cracked. Pretty strange, but it's a boat part, so anything is possible.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
So it worked fine till this year? I know you haven’t put many hours on it in the past few years, but still seems odd.
It’s possible you got a hard impeller or possibly with the install it laid in the housing wrong and a few blades tore off. Also any possible chance you put the hoses on backwards?

shunter2005

Reaction score
So it worked fine till this year? I know you haven’t put many hours on it in the past few years, but still seems odd.
It’s possible you got a hard impeller or possibly with the install it laid in the housing wrong and a few blades tore off. Also any possible chance you put the hoses on backwards?
Actually no. Due to the limited time on the water the past 3 years, it hasn't been out. I started thinking back and the alarm sounded back in '18 the one time I got out. That was the first time out with the new Hardin pump. Same last year when I took it out. Now it has happened again several times when we took it out recently.

The impeller was the original that came in the pump from Hardin. It is still very soft and pliable and fully intact. Almost too pliable. The new impeller and plate were direct from Hardin (in Hardin packaging) via Michigan Motorz. I have read on other forums that Hardin only uses OEM factory impellers in their pumps. Their words.

I don't think I put the hoses on backwards. Seems like plenty of flow out the exhaust. Possible I could have, but wouldn't the water flow be much less? I will double check to be sure next time up.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
It's not going to pump any water if the hoses are on backwards. Do you have a thru hull water intake or thru the outdrive? I ask because I have seen the inlet hose in the drive get restricted with corrosion causing an overheating condition that is hard to diagnose. With your temp gauge reading normal and the exhaust manifolds not getting too hot it's quite possible that the alarm is for something else. Also, if you replaced the impeller awhile ago but have not run the boat much the rubber will take a set and the pump will not work properly, it moves some water but not enough, loose bolts on the pump housing can also do this.

I would recommend reading up on the alarm function for your particular engine package, there will be several different alarms that warn you about something going wrong. Could just be a sensor going bad, drive oil reservoir sensors are famous for this. When an alarm goes off you need to make note if it's a constant alarm or intermittent. If intermittent how long between beeps. In my experience an alarm that comes and goes is generally the drive oil sensor.

shunter2005

Reaction score
It's not going to pump any water if the hoses are on backwards. Do you have a thru hull water intake or thru the outdrive? I ask because I have seen the inlet hose in the drive get restricted with corrosion causing an overheating condition that is hard to diagnose. With your temp gauge reading normal and the exhaust manifolds not getting too hot it's quite possible that the alarm is for something else. Also, if you replaced the impeller awhile ago but have not run the boat much the rubber will take a set and the pump will not work properly, it moves some water but not enough, loose bolts on the pump housing can also do this.

I would recommend reading up on the alarm function for your particular engine package, there will be several different alarms that warn you about something going wrong. Could just be a sensor going bad, drive oil reservoir sensors are famous for this. When an alarm goes off you need to make note if it's a constant alarm or intermittent. If intermittent how long between beeps. In my experience an alarm that comes and goes is generally the drive oil sensor.
Good to know, thanks. I was sure that the hoses were correct until Pete asked about them. Then, of course, I started thinking about it. It pumps too much water to not be correct, but I will still double check next time up. Standard B1 water inlet thru the outdrive. I had the transom inlet hose checked and it was said to be good. I replaced the old impeller this past winter, but it was doing it with the old impeller and now the new one.

The reservoir is almost full. The alarm goes off when coming onto plane and my wife said it was going off while running pretty hard. I couldn't hear it. Once on plane the alarm stops. Is there a stop gap way to test the drive oil sensor other than with a computer?

adam909

Reaction score
Im doing this at the moment.. My motor seems to be running warm as well.. I do have the Hardin Marine ss pump on my 496 ho.. I called hardin to have them send me a rebuild kit for my ss pump and they informed me that they have a new style pump due to the previous model (the one i had) had issues with bearings and sealing issues (internal). Mine seemed to be fine but i went ahead and ordered the updated pump and ill have a back up on the self. I did take both end caps off the heat exchanger and noticed some debris on the inlet side of the exhanger and possible tubs clogged. I couldnt find anything small enough to poke through the tubes due to im in havasu landing which has no kind of tools or material.. So when I head back out im going to some kind of small wire bore snake to clean the heat exhanger im also going to take a look at the oil cooler. I belive it has the same types of tubs and going to try and clean that as well.. Also going to try some high pressue back flush with air and water.. If this makes no changes in my temps Ill have it hooked up to a scaner to see if im getting the same reading on my guage. Let us know what you find to resolve you heating issues.

whats your water temp when the alarm goes off?

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. I was sure that the hoses were correct until Pete asked about them. Then, of course, I started thinking about it. It pumps too much water to not be correct, but I will still double check next time up. Standard B1 water inlet thru the outdrive. I had the transom inlet hose checked and it was said to be good. I replaced the old impeller this past winter, but it was doing it with the old impeller and now the new one.

The reservoir is almost full. The alarm goes off when coming onto plane and my wife said it was going off while running pretty hard. I couldn't hear it. Once on plane the alarm stops. Is there a stop gap way to test the drive oil sensor other than with a computer?

A scanner is the best way to figure it out but you can unplug the wires at the bottom of the reservoir, if the alarm persists then it's not the drive oil sensor. The knock sensor is also a possibility as I believe the alarm is the same, not sure where it is on your engine, maybe under one of the exhaust manifolds. You can check the connection for corrosion, pull the wire off with the ignition on, shut the ignition off then reconnect the wire. Hopefully the sensor resets and the alarm goes away.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Im doing this at the moment.. My motor seems to be running warm as well.. I do have the Hardin Marine ss pump on my 496 ho.. I called hardin to have them send me a rebuild kit for my ss pump and they informed me that they have a new style pump due to the previous model (the one i had) had issues with bearings and sealing issues (internal). Mine seemed to be fine but i went ahead and ordered the updated pump and ill have a back up on the self. I did take both end caps off the heat exchanger and noticed some debris on the inlet side of the exhanger and possible tubs clogged. I couldnt find anything small enough to poke through the tubes due to im in havasu landing which has no kind of tools or material.. So when I head back out im going to some kind of small wire bore snake to clean the heat exhanger im also going to take a look at the oil cooler. I belive it has the same types of tubs and going to try and clean that as well.. Also going to try some high pressue back flush with air and water.. If this makes no changes in my temps Ill have it hooked up to a scaner to see if im getting the same reading on my guage. Let us know what you find to resolve you heating issues.

whats your water temp when the alarm goes off?
Hmmm... Wonder if the Gen 4 pump has been improved.
My temp is steady at 170*-175* with a 160* t-stat. Port riser is pretty cool. Starboard is usually about 30* warmer. D

adam909

Reaction score
Hmmm... Wonder if the Gen 4 pump has been improved.
My temp is steady at 170*-175* with a 160* t-stat. Port riser is pretty cool. Starboard is usually about 30* warmer. D

That doesnt seem like a water pump issue your temps dont seem bad.. I would get it scaned..

shunter2005

Reaction score
So, I am trying to get the motor scanned soon, but I was wondering

I have read everything I can find here (and any other forums) and some say they have issues and others say the SS pump has no flow issues at all. I have read that some are using the OEM pump with Hardin SS impeller housing, but has anyone gone the other way and kept the SS pump and gone back to the OEM plastic housing? Did it help any flow issues you might have had? Better yet, has anyone just R&R'd the SS pump with the old OEM Merc pump?

Just a caveat, but I am also going to check the outdrive reservoir sensor for issues as well, if I can before I get it scanned.