WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vehicle rust on newer vehicles: what’s the deal?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
In looking for trucks lately, have found some used 20’ trucks in the midwest and the south for sale.
What is the current RDP Braintrust on areas to avoid buying one year old vehicles ? Are the traditional northeastern/north midwestern states still the highest levels of road salt usage?

I did a quick search on here and didn’t see any threads.

Found this about new F150’s: Wonder what happened?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I wouldn't think sitting in a parking lot in the mid west would have that serious of an effect on them.. Maybe if they were near the coast

I've heard of Toyotas and fords in particular with rust problems..

They all have rust warranties for a longer periods of time and mileage.. you'd think with modern coatings they wouldn't have those issues

Don't you like patina?...

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Just went to visit my parents in Nebraska and was jaw dropping on all the newer trucks with rusted out rockers, beds and cabs at that. Crazy stuff for sure!

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Chinese steel. And the bodies are thinner now

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
In looking for trucks lately, have found some used 20’ trucks in the midwest and the south for sale.
What is the current RDP Braintrust on areas to avoid buying one year old vehicles ? Are the traditional northeastern/north midwestern states still the highest levels of road salt usage?

I did a quick search on here and didn’t see any threads.

Found this about new F150’s: Wonder what happened?

Wouldn't stress too much about it. My 2020 Ram has been in WA, OR, ID, MT, NV, UT, CA, AZ, NM, TX and WY. Not a spec or sign anywhere. A significant amount of that driving in snow (maybe 5k miles of the 20ish k on it. Only 3 states I would avoid are Michigan, Minnesota, and Iowa...they all salt the shit out of their roads.. lots of other places are using alternatives now.

2Driver

Reaction score
Friend from Chrysler told me to get some quality black spray paint and coat everything i can underneath my new Gladiator.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't stress too much about it. My 2020 Ram has been in WA, OR, ID, MT, NV, UT, CA, AZ, NM, TX and WY. Not a spec or sign anywhere. A significant amount of that driving in snow (maybe 5k miles of the 20ish k on it. Only 3 states I would avoid are Michigan, Minnesota, and Iowa...they all salt the shit out of their roads.. lots of other places are using alternatives now.

Snow, doesn't cause RUST, Salt Causes RUST!! Those 1973 - Early 80's Midwest GM Pickups had rockers and above ALL wheel wells rusted. I can't believe GM wouldn't have been Embarrassed enough to FIX it. I guess selling New Fenders was more important.:(

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
🤦‍♂️ No shit..I had no idea that once the snow and ice falls methods such as salt, sand, and de-icing liquid is used...you don’t say?!?! 🙄

OUCH!!, Touchy? You stated that did driving in Snow, and not to worry about it.

🏳 = I Give.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
1624580059618.jpeg

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Folks in the Midwest will travel 1000+ miles to find a “rust free” example of whatever flavor they’re looking for.

ya sweep em off the driveway up there.

look elsewhere. 😤

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I bought my Silverado sight undpseen (other than AjtoTrader pics) from a dealer in Michigan as a 3 year old CPO truck in 2018.

It had a bit more surface rust underneath than I’d like, but it wasn’t rot.

I used a garden sprinkler to spray away any residual salt, and it hasn’t rusted any further.

I’d do it again, but I wouldn’t go with a truck any older than that from the rust belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roosky01

Reaction score
My bought new 2015 F-150 has 150k on it all in the Upper Midwest and not a speck of rust on anything except the axle housings, leaf springs, and front A-arms. Underneath the body looks like the day I got it. I love the aluminum body...

I have never had a truck for 6 years up here and think I will keep this one just to see how many years I can get out of it...maybe..

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Excuse me sir the néw F150 is made of the finest recyclable beer cans China can dish out therefor there is no rust!
Nope. But the smell of stale beer gets kinda old.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
I bought my Silverado sight undpseen (other than AjtoTrader pics) from a dealer in Michigan as a 3 year old CPO truck in 2018.

It had a bit more surface rust underneath than I’d like, but it wasn’t rot.

I used a garden sprinkler to spray away any residual salt, and it hasn’t rusted any further.

I’d do it again, but I wouldn’t go with a truck any older than that from the rust belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought my 2001 Excursion over the internet in 2008 from a guy in Pennsylvania and had it shipped to Plano. It had 25,000 miles on it. There is significant surface rust on the running gear and underbody, presumably from exposure to road salt.

In the thirteen years I've owned it, there has been no indication the rust has continued to worsen. It now has 73,000 on the clock. I'm not concerned about it at all.

Nordie

Reaction score

You forgot Illinois, all the guys I worked with their trucks were rusted out.