WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So…who sold this boat to my son?

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Everytime I see a fountain with a red stripe / checkers I wonder about the stand up jetski incident. I'm not saying this is the boat, just always passes through the mind.

I thought that one had an American flag on it? I could be wrong.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@SloppyJoe the owner was showing me how and I prob looked dumbfounded as it felt wrong. The process involved the passenger seat, grab rail and windshield all in one ballerina like movement.

Come to thing of it your right. Was prob my nuts saying “no fu*kig way man”

You racked ya sack!?

HPBoats83

Reaction score
@SloppyJoe the owner was showing me how and I prob looked dumbfounded as it felt wrong. The process involved the passenger seat, grab rail and windshield all in one ballerina like movement.

You racked ya sack!?

That’s how I used to do it on my old 29’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’ve never seen it before.. looks like it just needs a paint job and he’s good to go though!
A paint job?
What for? 😮

It’s a period correct capsule of awesome.

All it needs is a driver with a mullet, a Golds Gym pink sleeveless T and a pair of Oakley Blades. 👍

A gold chain around the neck for an extra point.😎

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

You racked ya sack!?
Hi I had a 29 and built a arm rest/ cup holder by the passenger seat that I stepped on to go over the windshield. As I got older I now have a deck boat because of that and the step off the bow my wife couldn't do any more. Though if I could get a 35 footer I would in a heart beat.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
That is the one! It's got a few things that could use some attention but I can do some of it myself. It looks much better after it's bath which was much needed!
have you drove this boat??????

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
A paint job?
What for? 😮

It’s a period correct capsule of awesome.

All it needs is a driver with a mullet, a Golds Gym pink sleeveless T and a pair of Oakley Blades. 👍

A gold chain around the neck for an extra point.😎
you forgot the 35 mph max speed lake....

SloppyJoe

Reaction score

You racked ya sack!?
No I'm a parcor champ! All it takes is one low spinny thingy and a flared backflip and I'm there

95Enforcer

Reaction score
Everytime I see a fountain with a red stripe / checkers I wonder about the stand up jetski incident. I'm not saying this is the boat, just always passes through the mind.

If you are referring to the Gorge incident in August of 2007. That boat was located in late 2008 in a storage facility in Havasu. Boat had no checkers but was white with black and red graphics. Was a 29’ fever as well.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I’ve never seen it before.. looks like it just needs a paint job and he’s good to go though!
I'm a believer in maintaining the original look on boats. Color sanded my Nordic day cruiser and it looked brand new! Going to do my 89' Rogers as soon as possible as well which also has pink in it. I enjoy the conversations that have history and the gel coat color schemes all have markers in time. Tribal and reverse are a hard no for my liking though!

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Don’t worry, that full tank will disappear quickly.
I was told it needed gas immediately because it was empty. It took 11 gallons! lol Sellers son borrowed the boat and returned it with a full tank which I was definitely happy to have!

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I haven't had it maxed or GPS'd yet waters have been too rough to run trimmed out with no tabs. I've hit about 70mph with a lot of throttle left. I'm told it will do 85mph with the current setup but we will see probably tomorrow. Doesn't help there's 100 gallons of gas in it 🤣
It’s an ocean boat. Balls to the walls my friend

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I haven't had it maxed or GPS'd yet waters have been too rough to run trimmed out with no tabs. I've hit about 70mph with a lot of throttle left. I'm told it will do 85mph with the current setup but we will see probably tomorrow. Doesn't help there's 100 gallons of gas in it 🤣

I had read somewhere (oso I believe) it has a 58-61 gallon tank?

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I had read somewhere (oso I believe) it has a 58-61 gallon tank?
He assured me it was over 100 gallons. Gas gauge didn't read after filling it up but it reads over half after the light running it done so far.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
If I'm going to let it fly trim tabs all the way up?? I'm learning they can do more harm than good it seems.

If you are going to run in the ocean you need to go with another boat. Someone who knows how to drive in the big blue. I wonder if you know anybody like that? lol

Driving in the ocean is totally different from running around in a fresh water lake. You can't just push the throttle forward and go.....you have to work it all. Lots more potential trouble you can get into for sure. With only one engine it becomes critical to get help in the event of failure VS in the lake you have to deal with the nuisance of waiting.

Plus of course the additional maintenance required on a boat that goes in the salt.

Always have to respect the water but especially the ocean

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
If I'm going to let it fly trim tabs all the way up?? I'm learning they can do more harm than good it seems.

Each boat's different.

Some boats pick up speed if the left tab is level or just ever so slightly below the surface counteracting the torque roll.

You can definately use them wrong.

Some boats will plane quicker with a big wheel or a heavy load if you push the nose down.

In the ocean they can help keep the nose down a bit when launching off a roller.

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Damn. What a rough crowd around here. Lol

Congrats on the purchase. That’s a big old wave crushing boat. That will be fun on those blown out days. Enjoy!!!

As long as you have a good time rocking that bitch, that’s all that matters👍

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Is that stand up ski incident the same one that had the hand drawn flyers all around town looking for the boat? Did they ever find out what happened?

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
The 27 is a nice model and handles choppy water ok, and it will run good with that power. About 25 ft of running surface.
Enjoy 👍 :)

I had a 29 with two HP465 from the factory and it was a driver's boat 😲. Wasn't that heavy, since I only broke one set of Bravos over the years. :p
Drove nice and I beat on it like a redheaded stepchild. They all sit ass-heavy. Had the name "No it's not sinking" due to all the comments.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
have a 29 it has 120 or 130 gallon tank, becuase some ran twins, the 27 to the best of my knowledge has a 50 or 60 gallon tank also just fyi the fuel gauges in fouintains are totlally inaccurate unless they are reading full or empty, as soon as your gauge moves off full and as it get to 3/4 be looking for a place to get fuel they will stay on full drop a little then drop to empty in a flash with the engine you have you need to be very carefull to make sure you dont run out. this info is the same for all fountain owners unless the guages en senders have been upgraded. ( i think to a sonar type system) hope this catches you before you are a victum of the Fountain fuel guage curse any questions I can help with let me know.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
a little more, there used to be a video by Reggie about running his hulls, tjhink he said tabs at around 3 dont run drive up over 4 but that may apply on to step bottoms

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
The 27 is a nice model and handles choppy water ok, and it will run good with that power. About 25 ft of running surface.

I had a 29 with two HP465 from the factory and it was a driver's boat 😲. Wasn't that heavy, since I only broke one set of Bravos over the years. :p
Drove nice and I beat on it like a redheaded stepchild. They all sit ass-heavy. Had the name "No it's not sinking" due to all the comments.

Reggie always said the 29 twin engine was his “driver boat” and referred to being the perfect size and speed I guess.

I know a hp500 29 step is a 72-73 mph at sea level stock. So I would image the twins was high 70s or faster

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Also read the manual from fountain on how to turn with a step hull and taps. Don’t want to roll over on a turn.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
a little more, there used to be a video by Reggie about running his hulls, tjhink he said tabs at around 3 dont run drive up over 4 but that may apply on to step bottoms
Reggie always said the 29 twin engine was his “driver boat” and referred to being the perfect size and speed I guess.

I know a hp500 29 step is a 72-73 mph at sea level stock. So I would image the twins was high 70s or faster

I believe that's why most latter ones were singles and more for the masses. A 525 is the best bet. Only half the fuel burn, less stern weight and not as squirrelly to drive.
Mine were the predecessor to the blue engine line, but was listed as a high perf product. Like the 420s, it had a hydraulic cam and crane valvetrain. Most I got into it was 105 gals with a dry tank which wasn't the best for twins :p
Best was 93 into light chop and 96 downwind, half tank, 85 deg, 5400, 1.5 gears,3 victims in boat, 27 pitch 3 blade stock mirages.
It did not like 4 blade props, but I never put much effort in doing prop R&D since it was good already.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I thought the hydromotive were the fastest props or was that before they changed the X factor

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
have a 29 it has 120 or 130 gallon tank, becuase some ran twins, the 27 to the best of my knowledge has a 50 or 60 gallon tank also just fyi the fuel gauges in fouintains are totlally inaccurate unless they are reading full or empty, as soon as your gauge moves off full and as it get to 3/4 be looking for a place to get fuel they will stay on full drop a little then drop to empty in a flash with the engine you have you need to be very carefull to make sure you dont run out. this info is the same for all fountain owners unless the guages en senders have been upgraded. ( i think to a sonar type system) hope this catches you before you are a victum of the Fountain fuel guage curse any questions I can help with let me know.
Thanks! I'm taking it out now and will top off.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
I thought the hydromotive were the fastest props or was that before they changed the X factor

Never got a chance to test the hydros before I sold.
Fun boat, but glad it's moved on.
Narrow and hard to work on with twins. After age 55 it was no longer as fun to mess with.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Few more pics. 170hrs on the clock, salt water filtration, cb radio and outdated stereo, through transom w/selectable underwater View attachment 1019356 View attachment 1019357 View attachment 1019358 diverter(disconnected), teague blown 509ci w/50hrs, XR drive, trim tabs, hydraulic steering, gauges need rehab, bench and hatch could use new upholstery, electric driver and copilot seats, electric hatch, glass has spider cracks but is solid, minor fiberglass repair could be done but not necessary
Congrats on the new ride...... think I heard ya running yesterday, sounded awesome from my deck above harbor entrance. Enjoy and be sure to grab flush ear muffs and Salt A Way at West Marine..... I'm sure you know all that stuff.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
If you are going to run in the ocean you need to go with another boat. Someone who knows how to drive in the big blue. I wonder if you know anybody like that? lol

Driving in the ocean is totally different from running around in a fresh water lake. You can't just push the throttle forward and go.....you have to work it all. Lots more potential trouble you can get into for sure. With only one engine it becomes critical to get help in the event of failure VS in the lake you have to deal with the nuisance of waiting.

Plus of course the additional maintenance required on a boat that goes in the salt.

Always have to respect the water but especially the ocean
We'll take it from here dad....not to worry..... your boys got an ocean boat now. On the job training in full effect.... I'm looking at ocean now and he'll have some chop .... he's gonna have to learn benefits of going out very early. Presently its 8-14 knots so it won't be too fun if he's headed out... I tend to only go in less than 8 knots but had to learn as well.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
We'll take it from here dad....not to worry..... your boys got an ocean boat now. On the job training in full effect.... I'm looking at ocean now and he'll have some chop .... he's gonna have to learn benefits of going out very early. Presently its 8-14 knots so it won't be too fun if he's headed out... I tend to only go in less than 8 knots but had to learn as well.

thanks. I cant help but be Dad. I am in GA now and wont be back to visit him until somewhere around Nov.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
thanks. I cant help but be Dad. I am in GA now and wont be back to visit him until somewhere around Nov.
I understand..... I just checked water and windy.com..... he'll be fine today, there'll be no whitecaps [that's always my indicator] they come around 10knots and thats my key to not go out. That Fountain model is beefy and built for this stuff.... he said on this thread he'd be going out here shortly after fueling and I'll have ears & eyes on him if so..... anything over 40 mph will be unpleasant loosening his fillings a bit.... but all learning curve stuff. Its a great first offshore learner boat if thats his intention.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Best was 93 into light chop and 96 downwind, half tank, 85 deg, 5400, 1.5 gears,3 victims in boat, 27 pitch 3 blade stock mirages.
It did not like 4 blade props, but I never put much effort in doing prop R&D since it was good already.

Most efficient v-hull on planet earth?

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 2.35.46 PM.png

playdeep

Reaction score
Fountains originally came from the factory sporting Hydromotive props if I recall...
Reasoning is stern lift.
Gotta get the ass up on those tail draggers.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
UD, I have no idea, it was a weird boat.
I bought it with 40 hrs from a individual I didn't know which bought it new and the family didn't like it. Too fast and small cockpit...etc (no shit). I never did fully check the drive height, but did align the k-planes, set the tie bar and bumped the restrictors on the trim to not exceed +4 per Fountain's advice. Maybe is was a factory play boat.
Did both runs that day with a hand held GPS and a Livorsi dash GPS and it startled me. Had one of the lake cops radar me with minimal parallax error and showed 92.
Always thought his 35 with a half stagger was one of their best lake performers.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I understand..... I just checked water and windy.com..... he'll be fine today, there'll be no whitecaps [that's always my indicator] they come around 10knots and thats my key to not go out. That Fountain model is beefy and built for this stuff.... he said on this thread he'd be going out here shortly after fueling and I'll have ears & eyes on him if so..... anything over 40 mph will be unpleasant loosening his fillings a bit.... but all learning curve stuff. Its a great first offshore learner boat if thats his intention.
Today he is dropping it in Elsinore to flush it not the ocean

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
be careful....it's awhole different animal past 65 gps....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

more like 23'r with a beak and swim step...