WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bourbon Thread - Reviews

Orangegazm

Reaction score
A group of us are heading to Nashville next week, we are hitting up Jack Danials and a couple small places in Tennessee. We are staying there for three days and we will have a great time. Then our friends are flying back and I wanted to fly from Tennessee to Mexico for our 25th Anniversary.... But my bad ass wife has this brilliant plan !!! She says instead of Mexico, why don't we rent a car and drive through Kentucky and hit as many distilleries as we can. I can't wait, four days of hitting up small craft distilleries as well as the larger places, she has everything mapped out... once we get there, she set up a Cadillac Escalade Limo to pick us up every morning to hit up all the tastings and tours, my wife actually loves Bourbon. This will be a bucket list trip !!!!!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
A group of us are heading to Nashville next week, we are hitting up Jack Danials and a couple small places in Tennessee. We are staying there for three days and we will have a great time. Then our friends are flying back and I wanted to fly from Tennessee to Mexico for our 25th Anniversary.... But my bad ass wife has this brilliant plan !!! She says instead of Mexico, why don't we rent a car and drive through Kentucky and hit as many distilleries as we can. I can't wait, four days of hitting up small craft distilleries as well as the larger places, she has everything mapped out... once we get there, she set up a Cadillac Escalade Limo to pick us up every morning to hit up all the tastings and tours, my wife actually loves Bourbon. This will be a bucket list trip !!!!!

Sounds like an amazing trip!

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
To be honest, not sure if I’ll open it. I drink most of my collection but some are reserved. If I get a 2nd bottle then for sure it will be opened.

I have a few open bottles to finish too.

View attachment 998318

Incredible Collection.......Tell us about the cabinet? Made just for this applicatoin? Internal lighting? Nice piece for sure. thanks for sharing.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Incredible Collection.......Tell us about the cabinet? Made just for this applicatoin? Internal lighting? Nice piece for sure. thanks for sharing.

My wife found the cabinet from Costco a year ago and now shes wishes she bought 2 of them. She also added the lighting inside from Amazon, it took a couple off different light packages, but finally found one that worked.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My wife found the cabinet from Costco a year ago and now shes wishes she bought 2 of them. She also added the lighting inside from Amazon, it took a couple off different light packages, but finally found one that worked.
Nice Weller collection and I see a Michters in there I believe

What is the shorter green bottle of Weller? I cant make it out.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Nice Weller collection and I see a Michters in there I believe

What is the shorter green bottle of Weller? I cant make it out.

That short bottle of Michter's is their toasted barrel finish sour mash and behind that is their 10yr along with their regular bottle.

The 5th size bottle is Weller special reserve.... Never seen a 5th in that before so had to buy them when I saw them.

76 Southwind

Reaction score
That short bottle of Michter's is their toasted barrel finish sour mash and behind that is their 10yr along with their regular bottle.

The 5th size bottle is Weller special reserve.... Never seen a 5th in that before so had to buy them when I saw them.
I like Angels Envy so I would imagine that cask strength is heavenly....

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I like Angels Envy so I would imagine that cask strength is heavenly....

Thanks for the info. Its been over a year since I had tried Angels Envy so I might pick up a bottle to open and place next to the cast strength one.

I like the midwinter nights dram from High West and that is finished in Port casks as well. So it might be worth a try again.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
IMG_0844.jpg

Finally found one.

Got all of these yesterday.

IMG_0846.jpg

relaxalot

Reaction score
Very good friend. I liked the 15 year old reserve the best. This stuff is like gold. I still like Basil Hayden. Red Breast and Weller. The pricing difference is dramatic to say the least. I would never be able to even sip Pappys if I didn't have friends.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Very good friend. I liked the 15 year old reserve the best. This stuff is like gold. I still like Basil Hayden. Red Breast and Weller. The pricing difference is dramatic to say the least. I would never be able to even sip Pappys if I didn't have friends.

If you buy them retail they are not bad tasting... But on the secondary market they are not worth it, and only good for bragging rights... I paid $400 for the 10yr lot B for my father 65th B-day. years back... Its good but not $400 good and now that bottle is pushing anywhere from $600-800.

Orangegazm

Reaction score
Well... I'm alive !!!! Our trip was insane. We started in Nashville and Partied so hard that I was hungover everyday.... But like a true soldier, I powered through four days straight of being blasted off my ass 🤯 Nashville was wide open and shoulder to shoulder packed !! We went to George Diickel distillery and Jack Danials, Im not a fan of Tennessee Whiskey but the G. Dickel was pretty good, The Campus of Jack Danials was amazing. Two of the couples that went with us got so drunk on the last night that they got divorced and back together when we woke up 😂

Then my wife and I drove up through Kentucky, the place is amazingly beautiful !!! We stopped at Limestone and got a private tour. We picked up a couple bottles there, very nice stuff !!! We stayed in Lexington, second biggest city in Kentucky... You can have that area !!! The next day we had a company take us to three distilleries. We started with Preservation, they are a small place but they have some amazing stuff including a great Tequila. The next stop was the best, Three Boys Farm distillery. This was a jewel out in the middle of nowhere, we tasted right out of the barrels.... time and time again !! we decided on a seven year Bourbon and bottled it ourself, put the labels on ourselves and had it hand signed by the the Master Distiller !!! Last we went to Buffalo Trace, It was huge and tons of history as well as a breath taking campus. We had some nice stuff there but we where caught off guard at the end, I was hoping to pick up some Taylor that we couldn't get at home.... they only sell one brand a day and you never know what it will be. We where lucky enough though, they had Blanton's with a limit of one per person and no more than two per month.... $62 a bottle !!!!

We also stayed at the Kentucky Castle in the heart of the horse ranch area just outside of Lexington. This was the craziest, most amazing place ever. I have a video of the largest stud ranch in Kentucky.... at 65mph it took one minute and twelve seconds to get past just the frontage, who knows how deep it goes. Every bit that we could see was mowed, it looked like a giant park !!! We also lucked out with the weather... sunny, 65-72 with only one day of thunderstorms and that was in Nashville.

We brought back ten bottles of Bourbon, We had to buy an extra suitcase 😎 Don't worry they are not going to run out, they have over two million barrels in Kentucky alone !!

DEFINITELY A BUCKET LIST TRIP that I would suggest to anyone who loves Bourbon !!!!

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I little update. Have a pretty good source for Blantons . She doesn't know when or if she will get more, but I have 3 now.
IMG_1108.JPG

Went to a bourbon bar in Knoxville last weekend,. Was pretty good. They were out of Blantons and some others.

IMG_1092.JPG

Wish I got a pic of the bartender from the front. Looked just like Ruth from Ozarks.

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1091.JPG

The single on the left is Weller. Liked that and the whistlepig. Jefferson was good, but not as good as the others.

Picked this up today to try.
IMG_1109.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 52

6 balls

Reaction score
My daughter gave me this one for Father’s Day, Voyage 23…

6FD4BF72-239E-44F3-B00B-3A53EF52804C.jpeg

Pretty good, probably not $75 good but very nice. Pretty sure the whole aged at sea thing is just a marketing gimmick. Each voyage has a chart of the route the ship took as well as a captain's log on the Jeffersons website.

Supposedly aged 6-8 years in Kentucky, then finished at sea for the last 5-10 months.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I little update. Have a pretty good source for Blantons . She doesn't know when or if she will get more, but I have 3 now.
View attachment 1020545

Went to a bourbon bar in Knoxville last weekend,. Was pretty good. They were out of Blantons and some others.

View attachment 1020549
Wish I got a pic of the bartender from the front. Looked just like Ruth from Ozarks.

View attachment 1020550

View attachment 1020552

The single on the left is Weller. Liked that and the whistlepig. Jefferson was good, but not as good as the others.

Picked this up today to try.
View attachment 1020554

Looks like you are on your way to collecting all the tops...... Nice.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
@ChevelleSB406 do you have the Jack Sinatra bottle? I know where a couple are for sale at retail.

I do have a couple myself, thanks, I enjoy it, its funky in a good way, I wouldn't pay that price for it purely as whiskey though, I like others in that price more, but as I said, enjoyable, and and cool for my collection.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I do have a couple myself, thanks, I enjoy it, its funky in a good way, I wouldn't pay that price for it purely as whiskey though, I like others in that price more, but as I said, enjoyable, and and cool for my collection.

Sounds good wasn't sure if you had it. Its pricey for a jack at $130.00 but a cool looking.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Sounds good wasn't sure if you had it. Its pricey for a jack at $130.00 but a cool looking.

It was a stretch to pay for Jack, especially 8 years ago for me. The Sinatra Century bottle for several grand is still missing from my collection for obvious reasons. You can put buying that at the top of my "To Don't List". Never gonna happen.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a coworker a nice bottle , what's a good one in the $200 range.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Long beach

not familiar with stores in LB.

Cant go wrong with
Elijah Craig Barrel proof (retail $80ish)
Old forester prohibition or statesman. (Mid $50’s)
Hancock reserve (harder to find 50’s)
Elijah Craig 18 (can find it for 200-250, retail 160ish.)
Cream of Kentucky (130ish harder to find)

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
IMG_20210702_205016.jpg

My wife just found this the best she has ever had in her opinion (I am not a whisky drinker).

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Be glad I don't live next door to you..........

Lol....I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind, she says my collection is getting out of hand and now I have bottles out side the cabinet.

I leave for KY a week from Monday and will see what I bring back......

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I'm sure you've done the Bourbon Trail, if you haven't, it a great way to spend a day or two.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'm sure you've done the Bourbon Trail, if you haven't, it a great way to spend a day or two.

I haven't.... But have a potential project in Louisville KY and doing the walk through on Tuesday. Have 1 day Wednesday, so already booked Four Roses for 10am and Heaven Hill at 1:30. Buffalo trace is all booked only standby and heading over after Heaven hill.

Going to stay downtown Monday and try and get the tour of Old Forester. I have done this one before but wouldn't mine doing it again.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
It's been 10 years since we did the Bourbon Trail, the best stop we made was Maker's Mark. Did the tour and then the tasting room. The other distillery's would limit you to one or two tastes. The guide at MM was happy to have you spend the afternoon. After trying 46, MM and White Dog, she brought out some chocolates and we started over. Had a great time at all of the them, however, it was obvious which ones followed the corporate line.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Headed back from KY on a work trip. Spent 1 day like a crazy person trying to see all that I could.

Hopefully I win the project and return, going to narrow the profit margins to get it. 😉
I can’t fire myself. Lol

People lined up for Old Forester Birthday bourbon being released this morning. People started lining up Monday. 100 people by Tuesday at 5pm. Releasing 150 bottles.

D89956D1-44E3-4777-BF83-532F1B328230.jpeg
0D6A338E-8D4B-43F4-A3AA-41FD6EBC9EBB.jpeg
89850FCB-47A9-486D-9409-5DB24DBC9769.jpeg
564DC3D9-3014-497A-9612-0262B8D93C2F.jpeg
2D53A260-2DE1-4B5A-BDD1-82D7A4FE7E50.jpeg
250C6559-BE76-46CC-9398-A05167FA4A06.jpeg
AF6AB6B5-D4D7-498C-8809-F815FB5A6136.jpeg
A4FC5727-FC03-42ED-B601-0BE9EAE6F70B.jpeg
633B1DEE-D940-4F02-83E2-55FEF42C7A96.jpeg
8C356DEA-E6FA-4CE0-8620-5CCE71BB14E0.jpeg

Havazoo

Reaction score
Excuse me if it's already been mentioned but if you haven't seen The Heist on Netflix, it's a must for Bourbon / Whiskey lovers to watch....