WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What happens to boats during hurricanes?

traquer

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but what happens in Florida where it seems there's more boats than people? Everyone has massive fenders hanging off their boats or shit just gets all banged up or what? Do anchorages hold?

Family friend just moved to Tampa the other week from California, will be interesting to see his take on his first hurricane.

gqchris

Reaction score
Rack Storage! [emoji3]

IMG_4493.jpg

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on it the insurance is worth more than boat. Some people have agreed value policies . Most of the time the leave them in the water. Some insurance companies will pay to have boat pulled to dry dock.

Tank

Reaction score
It really is indoor rack storage. Most put them in hurricane rated indoor storage. But you do see people strapping boats down on the lifts and riding it out.
Here’s TNT a couple years ago during hurricane matthew

Kenny D

Reaction score
We spent today dealing with Elsa.....no big deal....as usually over hyped by the media...Erma was a big deal, we strapped our boat to the dock and lift ...came though fine.
B5397288-1A2E-45D2-B418-474F5B4E95F7.jpeg

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
The only times I went through hurricanes was with the Coast Guard. We just got underway and rode them out. But in those instances, ours were a little larger and differently equipped than most of the boats on here.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
The only times I went through hurricanes was with the Coast Guard. We just got underway and rode them out. But in those instances, ours were a little larger and differently equipped than most of the boats on here.
Same here but the navy and aircraft carriers. Worst one I was in was on the enterprise. We caved the bow in just below the flight deck. We lost 8 sponsors and 12 aircraft fueling stations.

Ever seen an 24 inch I beam folded over flat?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

USMC2010

Reaction score
I have a retired Marine buddy who sailed out of Jacksonville, FL 4 years ago on a 40' sailboat with his wife and 2 dogs. It is a funny story, before he retired I asked him what he was going to do and his reply "be a drunk pirate in the Caribbean". Well to this day they have been doing just that. Before they left harbor, they hunkered down during a hurricane and survived just fine. I think it depends on how prepared one is and how severe the storm damage is.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I have a retired Marine buddy who sailed out of Jacksonville, FL 4 years ago on a 40' sailboat with his wife and 2 dogs. It is a funny story, before he retired I asked him what he was going to do and his reply "be a drunk pirate in the Caribbean". Well to this day they have been doing just that. Before they left harbor, they hunkered down during a hurricane and survived just fine. I think it depends on how prepared one is and how severe the storm damage is.
Is he looking for a deckhand?:p And not asking for a friend either.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
It really is indoor rack storage. Most put them in hurricane rated indoor storage. But you do see people strapping boats down on the lifts and riding it out.
Here’s TNT a couple years ago during hurricane matthew

That must have been deafening in there.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I can only imagine insurance premiums in hurricane areas dwarf the rest of the nation's policy's

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

USMC2010

Reaction score
I can only imagine insurance premiums in hurricane areas dwarf the rest of the nation's policy's

They are very devistating but infrequent. I'll bet tornado season beats it on the annual.

traquer

Reaction score
They are very devistating but infrequent. I'll bet tornado season beats it on the annual.
Seems pretty frequent to me lol. Or is it always a different area that gets hit hard, and the nearby areas don't get much damage beyond like 50 or 100 miles?

USMC2010

Reaction score
Seems pretty frequent to me lol. Or is it always a different area that gets hit hard, and the nearby areas don't get much damage beyond like 50 or 100 miles?
Hell if I know. I just doubt hurricane policy damage beats the rest of the nation.

RodnJen

Reaction score

Truth. Look at homeowners policies in those areas as well.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Undoubtedly, some boats can ride out some hurricanes. BUT, for those who’ve actually been in a bad ass Hurricane, invariably they’ll end up asking themselves, WTF am I doing here??!! Typhoons are much worse. Ever hear of just a minor typhoon? A Super typhoon, F’in unbelievable. I was able to avoid them, but did transit thru the remnants of a super Typhoon. We’re talking 50’ seas, long slow swell and zero wind. Your head is on a swivel and you just wanna get the F out of there. Small vessels do NOT put to sea when a Typhoon is approaching. Putting to sea with an approaching hurricane is usually not the prudent action for a private vessel in the US.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Undoubtedly, some boats can ride out some hurricanes. BUT, for those who’ve actually been in a bad ass Hurricane, invariably they’ll end up asking themselves, WTF am I doing here??!! Typhoons are much worse. Ever hear of just a minor typhoon? A Super typhoon, F’in unbelievable. I was able to avoid them, but did transit thru the remnants of a super Typhoon. We’re talking 50’ seas, long slow swell and zero wind. Your head is on a swivel and you just wanna get the F out of there. Small vessels do NOT put to sea when a Typhoon is approaching. Putting to sea with an approaching hurricane is usually not the prudent action for a private vessel in the US.
If it’s like that wave in the Perfect Storm I’m out!

RichL

Reaction score
I was aboard an oil tanker in '69 and we followed Camille into the Louisiana delta. Talk about near total devastation. Small craft lifted by the wall of water that accompanied the storm and deposited everywhere including the woods along the river.

hman442

Reaction score
A friend's parents used to keep a pretty nice yacht in Florida. Their insurance was void during "hurricane season", if the yacht was left in Florida. Every year, they drove it up the east coast and moored it during the hurricanes

shunter2005

Reaction score
Not all dry rack storage are created equal. May not be the best way to go during a big hurricane, at least in Texas. This was the opening salvo from Harvey in '18.

Start at 35 secs mark.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here is how my Hurricane plan works this year.........

The rack storage I use for hurricanes has had 3 different owners over the last 3 years, so each year has been a different deal. This year being the worst.

My boat stays on my Boatlift until a storm gets named and is heading for South Florida. In April, I paid $1700 to have a spot in the rack storage for my 30’ boat. This $1700 is on top of my regular insurance. I don’t have to have rack storage. I could easily put my boat on its trailer, but where would I take it?

The $1700 gives me ONE pullout. Each additional pullout will cost 50% of the $1700.

1 storm is $1700
2 storms is $2550
3 storms is $3400
4 storms is $4250
5 storms is a boat for sale.

Last year my boat needed to be pulled twice for 2 separate storms. And it got pulled only once the year before, when it was brand new.

This year I really have to think before I decide to use my Golden Pullout Ticket, since each additional storm is 50% in the original price. Last year, one price paid for unlimited pullouts.

Once I have pulled the boat, I still have the floating Boatlift to contend with......... I just lower it, and put whips on it.

Here is why I am not complaining.......... I can make as much as $2000 per day, using my Captains License, to move boats to hurricane holes when a storm is coming......... which is what I do. I already have the keys to 6 boats, just for this purpose, but most of the money is made through the brokers I work for. A 30’ boat does not pay as well as a 90’ yacht, so I move a lot of yachts. If they do not work properly........ we charge more!

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
You realize that the only difference is what ocean it occurs in don't you? Same thing just different name.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Small boats apparently get put on their trailers and filled with water. I guess it helps keep them from being blown away. (At least that’s what I’ve been told, I’ll believe it when I see it) 🤷🏻

the rain here from “Elsa” wasn’t much to speak of. Over hyped.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
You realize that the only difference is what ocean it occurs in don't you? Same thing just different name.

Yes, sort of. They are each tropical cyclones. I've experienced both. Typhoons have a much longer season, the storm covers a broader area, often have a longer fetch and typically typhoons are more forceful. Can't recall if a Pacific hurricane has ever traveled far enough to the west to become a typhoon, but likely historically, it has happened. But, definitely not the norm.

Tank

Reaction score
Not all dry rack storage are created equal. May not be the best way to go during a big hurricane, at least in Texas. This was the opening salvo from Harvey in '18.

Start at 35 secs mark.

All rack storage is not created equal. Rack storage is "hurricane rated" you have some that are Category 1 all he way up to category 5 rated. But as the video shows, they don't always make it. This was a rack storage spot in Miami / Biscayne Bay after Wilma

hurricane2.jpg
hurricane3.jpg

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
IMG_1410.jpg

We got lucky a couple years ago when Dorian sat on the Abacos for hours of 200mph winds. My boat is the one to the right and down from the walking lift. It was on stands and strapped down to d-rings that were cemented into the ground. As you can see most of the other boats were not as lucky. The tidal surge was 10’ so most boats were swamped. We lost the windshield and the generator but everything else was mostly fine. The boat was on Green Turtle island.