WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 seat speed UTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singleton

Reaction score
Honestly it is immaterial. The only people that are whining are the ones that don't have one. The cars will be ready when they are ready. All these UTVS are made from foreign components, I don't know why we are suddenly scrutinizing this car. If there are production delays, there are production delays. Ford can't even get a Bronco to market right now.

you seem to know more then most.
I am starting to see some spots (under unit 500) for sale, and thinking I might take a chance. Make up is almost equal to buying now. However, the lack of clarity on potential delivery has me concerned. When speaking to the sellers of the spot, they are cashing out due to unit not being available until Q2 2022. So, what are your thoughts?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I am starting to see some spots (under unit 500) for sale, and thinking I might take a chance. Make up is almost equal to buying now. However, the lack of clarity on potential delivery has me concerned. When speaking to the sellers of the spot, they are cashing out due to unit not being available until Q2 2022. So, what are your thoughts?

I haven’t been paying much attention in the last week or so as I’ve been in Havasu but I will get up to speed (lol) tonight. At this point we are getting close, full factory assembled production cars are complete so that is good news and encouraging. What I don’t know is if Speed will spring supply chain impacts on us that will delay deliveries. They have stated they want to also test the first few production cars before firing up the assembly line.

Given that, I’m unsure when real deliveries will start. I think RG will begin to lose good will by the Sand Show (Mid September) if the assembly line isn’t going by then in some capacity. That said if the assembly line is going in September I can’t imagine why there would not be deliveries by year’s end.

If you buy a spot you don't have to pay in full until 30 days before delivery. I really don’t think first deliveries are going to be stretched out until Q2 2022 at this point. From what I have read, expect 60-90 days from when they fire up the assembly line to first deliveries.

All that said, if you buy a spot and don’t want the car, I can’t see you loosing money on the spot or the car if you are under the MSRP today. A dealer OTD is going to be more than MSRP. The Speed key is $1200 or something, you get that free on the early cars. If you decide you don’t want the car you can maximize your profit by taking delivery of the car, and selling it private party in AZ. I think a $7k-$10k profit could be had very quickly once these start arriving for delivery if you wanted to flip the car. I also think spots in line will start gaining value once the assembly line starts and we get the “30 day, time to pay” call.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

riverroyal

Reaction score
Mmmm. Tasty beer.
Not much action at the havasu building. Maybe the inside is being worked on?

Reactions: DWC

Supercup

Reaction score
They have stated they want to also test the first few production cars before firing up the assembly line.

If you buy a spot you don't have to pay in full until 30 days before delivery. I really don’t think first deliveries are going to be stretched out until Q2 2022 at this point. From what I have read, expect 60-90 days from when they fire up the assembly line to first deliveries.

All that said, if you buy a spot and don’t want the car, I can’t see you loosing money on the spot or the car if you are under the MSRP today. A dealer OTD is going to be more than MSRP. The Speed key is $1200 or something, you get that free on the early cars. If you decide you don’t want the car you can maximize your profit by taking delivery of the car, and selling it private party in AZ. I think a $7k-$10k profit could be had very quickly once these start arriving for delivery if you wanted to flip the car. I also think spots in line will start gaining value once the assembly line starts and we get the “30 day, time to pay” call.

The statement they made recently "we have to test first few production cars" - makes sense to do and it buys them more time and patients for those waiting.

All could work out as you noted - if the car comes timely - to date they have not been timely - but have consistently explained why not. At this point I can't imagine why anyone with an early spot would sell? I guess plans change over two years or they simply want to get their $ back as they no longer believe.

I considered signing up after the Sand Show in 2019 for an early spot, but decided to wait and see when they came out. Since I bought a nice car, upgraded it and have used it. My guess is many waiting did the same and the deposit was just a way to have a spot in line for their "next" car. If someone were selling an early spot now, I might just buy it to see what happens - if they deliver in thd fall and it is what we see on paper and the 69 podcasts, it will be the car to own and to have one sooner than later would be great! If they don't deliver - well then my bad for spitting in the wind and buying a slot now, knowing what has happened to date!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The statement they made recently "we have to test first few production cars" - makes sense to do and it buys them more time and patients for those waiting.

All could work out as you noted - if the car comes timely - to date they have not been timely - but have consistently explained why not. At this point I can't imagine why anyone with an early spot would sell? I guess plans change over two years or they simply want to get their $ back as they no longer believe.

I considered signing up after the Sand Show in 2019 for an early spot, but decided to wait and see when they came out. Since I bought a nice car, upgraded it and have used it. My guess is many waiting did the same and the deposit was just a way to have a spot in line for their "next" car. If someone were selling an early spot now, I might just buy it to see what happens - if they deliver in thd fall and it is what we see on paper and the 69 podcasts, it will be the car to own and to have one sooner than later would be great! If they don't deliver - well then my bad for spitting in the wind and buying a slot now, knowing what has happened to date!

Yea I have been adamant since Sand Sports 2019 that these would be late. The original date was just hype based on some assumptions that ended up not happening, so in turn Speed designed and built and entire car from scratch. That certainly takes some time. I think he will deliver cars, the magic question is when. He has sold an entire year’s worth of them. He just has to deliver and capture the money.

This is just my inference, but I think the scope of the project snowballed. This was originally built as a boutique car of which several hundred would be made to start. They now have upwards of 12k cars reserved by dealers or individuals. I think it was this growth and excitement that had them evaluate everything much closer to make sure the product is as good as it can be. If they don’t deliver, they are going to piss off a lot of people, and every major power sports conglomerate in the western US. With that in mind, a solid product that is late will build the brand... a late product rushed to production still with big flaws will tank the brand.

In short, I think if solid industry leading cars are delivered like what we have seen thus far, by the end of the year, all sins will probably be forgiven.

As for me personally, I’m in the take as long as it takes to do what is needed. They have already said because of delays, they have made refinements to the debut car that would have otherwise been incorporated into the next MY. All good with me.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Mmmm. Tasty beer.
Not much action at the havasu building. Maybe the inside is being worked on?

I saw some work a month or so ago, nothing lately when I drive by. When I see some branding and signage on the building, We know things are getting close :)

I’m still reasonably confident deliveries will start by years end for my beers.

If they aren’t mass assembling cars by UTV world championship time in Oct, all hope is lost for me winning the bet.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Are they stuck at sea do to COVID-19

The cars are being built in Texas. If there are components stuck in the supply chain, they have not mentioned that as a hard blocker yet. My guess is they are wrapping up fit and finish Items as well as assembly operations.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I recently purchased a second slot.. I don’t think you can go wrong money wise either way.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The cars are being built in Texas. If there are components stuck in the supply chain, they have not mentioned that as a hard blocker yet. My guess is they are wrapping up fit and finish Items as well as assembly operations.

So they are going to be built in texas or China?

From an early post--
"This deal is being backed by an extremely wealthy Chinese business man. They will he produced in a giant Mfg facility over there that is pretty state of the art. He was showing me pics of the factory and the robots etc.. I can’t remember how big it was now but I was to say 3 million sqft? Maybe more."

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

From an early post--
"This deal is being backed by an extremely wealthy Chinese business man. They will he produced in a giant Mfg facility over there that is pretty state of the art. He was showing me pics of the factory and the robots etc.. I can’t remember how big it was now but I was to say 3 million sqft? Maybe more."

He told me that the first day the spots went on sale. Things may have changed since then? I know there are some parts being made in China, I believe some parts are made here as well? It will be assembled at Hisun in Texas

v6toy4x

Reaction score
He told me that the first day the spots went on sale. Things may have changed since then? I know there are some parts being made in China, I believe some parts are made here as well? It will be assembled at Hisun in Texas

Thx,
Good to see at least assy is happening here, I would be surprised if many parts actually get manuf here though??
Even though I am not a SXS guy, I keep coming back here hoping to see they are being delivered!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

From an early post--

They are being built in Texas from what we have been told. Parts and suppliers are from everywhere probably. Hisun is the manufacturing partner and is the Chinese company who probably has a stake in the car, since they are assembling it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thx,
Good to see at least assy is happening here, I would be surprised if many parts actually get manuf here though??
Even though I am not a SXS guy, I keep coming back here hoping to see they are being delivered!

There is nothing more or less made here than any other SXS out there. Gordon said some components are made here.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
One of the upgrades I mentioned that they were able to do now that would have been in “next years car” if they rushed to production is that Speed reworked the entire compressor side of the turbo with a bigger and angled inlet on the compressor housing that keeps the charge tubes further away from the exhaust. This is going to result in cooler charge temps and better throttle response.

No need to buy upgraded charge tubes with this car like you do with Can Ams and RZRs when you want to make more power.

As to where things are at now -

They are done with the car, it’s pretty much fully baked. They are working with the manufacturers, suppliers etc. and tooling up for building cars, ordering parts from suppliers etc. No indication yet of how long they will be in this phase. They said the next round of dates will pretty much be hard dates of when the 10 production test cars will be done, when manufacturing and assembly will begin, and when customer deliveries will begin.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I keep reading guys are buying/selling their "spots". Where is this happening?

there is a couple Speed utv fb pages.. some of the prices are getting ridiculous.. under 500 some people are asking 10k+ of the spots now.

For reference I paid an extra 1500 for slot 528 2 weeks ago. Still considerably cheaper than buying a new spot today.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
there is a couple Speed utv fb pages.. some of the prices are getting ridiculous.. under 500 some people are asking 10k+ of the spots now.

For reference I paid an extra 1500 for slot 528 2 weeks ago. Still considerably cheaper than buying a new spot today.

Someone posted yesterday, spot #35 for 2K over, seemed like a decent deal for a waaay early car.

DLC

Reaction score
I don’t think I would want a way early car! I would rather have a 1500-2,000 car so any misc bugs have been figured out!

it’s like going to a new restaurant the 1st week…. its not the best meal !

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I haven't seen that? I'll buy that one too if you can find it.

RD

I looked for it, and it appears to be gone. There's someone selling or no profit on there, and he says he's selling because he bought a lower number, and something about the IRS>

Roaddawg

Reaction score
I looked for it, and it appears to be gone. There's someone selling or no profit on there, and he says he's selling because he bought a lower number, and something about the IRS>

Its still on the fb page. 31500 for the car and 9k in accessories

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good update from Todd Romano tonight addressing delays. They have been trying to get multiple suppliers for many many parts before they push go. And there has been a steep learning curve with figuring out the order of assembly to hit 80 cars per day. They want all this ironed out before they press go, and that has been their major delay.

And as I predicted, car prices are going up another $1500 Aug 15. I think the base car is staying roughy the same price. LE and RG models will have price increases. The $32k 4 seat car we bought in the first go round is going to be $38,500 in one month.

If you want A spot in line, buy one now!

No firm dates as of yet as to when they will hit the go button on production. They will go when the assembly process is done and will have more updates in the next couple weeks. They claim to be very very close. Test mule cars are still out in the wild testing.

Speed will be at the AZ and OC sand show, but the full Speed staff will only be at the OC show with cars. The AZ show is a race weekend in Baja.

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Good update from Todd Romano tonight addressing delays. They have been trying to get multiple suppliers for many many parts before they push go. And there has been a steep learning curve with figuring out the order of assembly to hit 80 cars per day. They want all this ironed out before they press go, and that has been their major delay.

And as I predicted, car prices are going up another $1500 Aug 15. I think the base car is staying roughy the same price. LE and RG models will have price increases. The $32k 4 seat car we bought in the first go round is going to be $38,500 in one month.

If you want A spot in line, buy one now!

No firm dates as of yet as to when they will hit the go button on production. They will go when the assembly process is done and will have more updates in the next couple weeks. They claim to be very very close. Test mule cars are still out in the wild testing.

Speed will be at the AZ and OC sand show, but the full Speed staff will only be at the OC show with cars. The AZ show is a race weekend in Baja.

I can't imagine the stress of undertaking this project. You have to wonder about their assembly plant - are they subcontracting it out to someone else who specializes in assembly? I would think that in order to maintain quality and fit/finish over time they would need to keep producing cars steadily for years to come. I assume they are ramping up early in order to try and catch up on orders to keep people happy that have down paid/deposited years in advance. Once the bulk of everyone has their car, I assume orders will keep coming in, but I wouldn't think they would be producing them at anywhere near the rate as they will be in say the next 2-4-6 months. Managing that workforce for fluctuating production seems like a nightmare. If you don't keep steady production it will be difficult to keep people in the facility.

My boss has one on order, I think he is under #250, he purchased at SSSS 2019. I am looking forward to him receiving the car and seeing how it performs. I think these are going to be a home run as long as they don't have some major part failure and long downtime for replacements due to their short timeline to market. These cars appear to be twice the car that a polaris or canam are off the showroom floor as far as chassis/suspension design go, for not much more cash. I want these guys to succeed in a huge way, if they do, we will all win!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I can't imagine the stress of undertaking this project. You have to wonder about their assembly plant - are they subcontracting it out to someone else who specializes in assembly? I would think that in order to maintain quality and fit/finish over time they would need to keep producing cars steadily for years to come. I assume they are ramping up early in order to try and catch up on orders to keep people happy that have down paid/deposited years in advance. Once the bulk of everyone has their car, I assume orders will keep coming in, but I wouldn't think they would be producing them at anywhere near the rate as they will be in say the next 2-4-6 months. Managing that workforce for fluctuating production seems like a nightmare. If you don't keep steady production it will be difficult to keep people in the facility.

My boss has one on order, I think he is under #250, he purchased at SSSS 2019. I am looking forward to him receiving the car and seeing how it performs. I think these are going to be a home run as long as they don't have some major part failure and long downtime for replacements due to their short timeline to market. These cars appear to be twice the car that a polaris or canam are off the showroom floor as far as chassis/suspension design go, for not much more cash. I want these guys to succeed in a huge way, if they do, we will all win!

They are using Hisun as a manufacturing partner. They are not mass producing this themselves. Hisun makes a lot of stuff for a lot of people but this may be the first “high performance” project they take on, so I’m sure there are learnings happening on both sides. - slight changes to parts to make them assembly line friendly, and also assembly to the level of quality Robby and Speed are demanding.

They have enough cars sold/ on order already to keep the assembly line busy for a year. Interestingly, over 80% of their orders are the 4 seater.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
They are using Hisun as a manufacturing partner. They are not mass producing this themselves. Hisun makes a lot of stuff for a lot of people but this may be the first “high performance” project they take on, so I’m sure there are learnings happening on both sides. - slight changes to parts to make them assembly line friendly, and also assembly to the level of quality Robby and Speed are demanding.

They have enough cars sold/ on order already to keep the assembly line busy for a year. Interestingly, over 80% of their orders are the 4 seater.

I figured they had to be contracting out the assembly line to someone with experience, definitely the right call.

I was die-hard 2 seat only guy until I rode in a properly setup and tuned XP4, it still felt super nimble and the wheelbase really helped calm it down in rough stuff compared to my XP1k. I've driven a couple canam 4 seaters and they felt like you were dragging a trailer, I would never own one. I think Speed hit the nail on the head with their 110" 2 seat chassis, but really curious to see how the 120" 4 seat chassis feels as they have the same wheelbase as the can am max.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Holy crap, 1300 replies? Is this secret Chinese business mans name Tucker?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I figured they had to be contracting out the assembly line to someone with experience, definitely the right call.

I was die-hard 2 seat only guy until I rode in a properly setup and tuned XP4, it still felt super nimble and the wheelbase really helped calm it down in rough stuff compared to my XP1k. I've driven a couple canam 4 seaters and they felt like you were dragging a trailer, I would never own one. I think Speed hit the nail on the head with their 110" 2 seat chassis, but really curious to see how the 120" 4 seat chassis feels as they have the same wheelbase as the can am max.

Actually the Speed 4 seater has a 120” wheelbase, among the shortest 4 seaters on the market. The XP41k/ Turbo S has a 117” wheelbase. The CanAm X3 Maxx 4 seater wheelbase is 135”. The new Polaris Pro XP4 platform has a 125” wheelbase.

That 110-120” wheelbase is about perfect for the desert stuff. Traditionally I’ve thought the Can Am 2 seater and a XP41k/Turbo s 4 seater have been the best choices from a wheelbase perspective.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Is there any new news on production times yet?

The guidance is “soon”. The car is done, they are getting the assembly line setup and securing multiple suppliers for key parts. I think they are going to have a date to share by the Sand Show in OC. They are gonna get constant questions about that at the Sand Show when they are looking at people face to face.

Reactions: DLC

riverroyal

Reaction score
I had a few beers today....you guys wont see this unicorn until 22.
Just now getting assembly line going?
I said it before, i like the idea, the plan, the car....but you guys are insane to invest and finance this start up.
I hope it works out for you

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I said it before, i like the idea, the plan, the car....but you guys are insane to invest and finance this start up.

With a Chinese partner what could go wrong?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I got it on pretty good authority that my early car will be here in October sometime

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
The guidance is “soon”. The car is done, they are getting the assembly line setup and securing multiple suppliers for key parts. I think they are going to have a date to share by the Sand Show in OC. They are gonna get constant questions about that at the Sand Show when they are looking at people face to face.

Certainly not trying to be a wet blanket, but....

I'm in the Hydraulic Industry. We sell pretty much everything in the "port to port" world. We have long established relationships with many suppliers both domestic and over seas. We have lead times of 4-10 months on regular "A" items. This is for a customer (us) with a 30 year relationship with some of these vendors.

For a new customer (Speed) to step in front of other long time customers of Speeds anticipated suppliers seems to be a bit over-enthusiastic and I don't find it believable. I only say that due to what I am seeing daily with my own eyes. I am probably a future customer for a Speed car and find this entire process fascinating. But I think I'll wait to see the cars flowing off the line. Even if that means I pay a bit more.

These supply chain issues are not anyones fault, but they are real and will effect the end product flowing off the line.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Certainly not trying to be a wet blanket, but....

I'm in the Hydraulic Industry. We sell pretty much everything in the "port to port" world. We have long established relationships with many suppliers both domestic and over seas. We have lead times of 4-10 months on regular "A" items. This is for a customer (us) with a 30 year relationship with some of these vendors.

For a new customer (Speed) to step in front of other long time customers of Speeds anticipated suppliers seems to be a bit over-enthusiastic and I don't find it believable. I only say that due to what I am seeing daily with my own eyes. I am probably a future customer for a Speed car and find this entire process fascinating. But I think I'll wait to see the cars flowing off the line. Even if that means I pay a bit more.

These supply chain issues are not anyones fault, but they are real and will effect the end product flowing off the line.

I’m not saying there won’t be or isn’t supply chain issues. But I’m also saying they didn’t start his process last week, they started lining all this up early this year.

They have not pulled the supply chain card yet. From what I’ve seen they don’t want to start assembly until they have assurances they will have enough to make several hundred to a thousand + cars. They don’t want to build these 25 at a time, or ent up with a Ford trucks sitting on the fairgrounds situation.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I’m not saying there won’t be or isn’t supply chain issues. But I’m also saying they didn’t start his process last week, they started lining all this up early this year.

They have not pulled the supply chain card yet. From what I’ve seen they don’t want to start assembly until they have assurances they will have enough to make several hundred to a thousand + cars. They don’t want to build these 25 at a time, or ent up with a Ford trucks sitting on the fairgrounds situation.

Exactly my point. If Ford can't produce, why would Speed be able to?

I have a new F450 sitting waiting for completion. Again, not bagging on Speed, just looking at it realistically. no different than waiting on a new truck from a 100 year old company

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Exactly my point. If Ford can't produce, why would Speed be able to?

I have a new F450 sitting waiting for completion. Again, not bagging on Speed, just looking at it realistically. no different than waiting on a new truck from a 100 year old company

Let’s turn it around.. Why is Ford the only one with fields full of incomplete trucks sitting around for months? Short sighted planning from clearly a single threaded manufacturer/supplier somewhere along the line.

Can Am just had a ton of units go up in flames in their assembly line fire that were ready for delivery. Everyone is making stuff in limited capacities.

Ford’s single failure does not mean much in terms of the Speed car. If anything it is a teachable moment for the rest of the industry.

At the end of the day shit happens, and the cars will arrive when they arrive. I’m not that worried about it, nor are any of the other customers I talk to. Every Tesla model has been late and that was before Covid. No one cared. Sure I would have liked to have my car by now, but we are getting a better product for waiting.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Tell that to the people with 2022 Ford trucks in order :)

Good point but they know what a Ford truck looks like and how it performs - that's why they bought it. The Speed Car is pretty much vaporware until it's not.

I'm excited to see this new car be produced and sold and I hope it upsets the two industry giants and forces them to up their game.

But in all honesty, it's not available until it is. 😁

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good point but they know what a Ford truck looks like and how it performs - that's why they bought it. The Speed Car is pretty much vaporware until it's not.

I'm excited to see this new car be produced and sold and I hope it upsets the two industry giants and forces them to up their game.

But in all honesty, it's not available until it is. 😁

It is not available until it is - How is that different and any other product that has yet to come out?

They have made a bunch of improvements to the initial design in Q1 of this year that if not for Covid delays would have been done next model year, and they also did more testing than they would have done otherwise. We are getting a better, more refined product for the wait.

The only people truly pissed the cars are late are people that don’t have money down on one. Anyone with money down that is sick of waiting can sell their spot for a profit.

People ask how can it be any good? I ask how can it be any worse than the current crop of cars that need $10k in upgrades to be safe, comfortable, and reliable.

I never expected these to be on time, you can read my comments in this thread and on the original one from 2019. I did expect the price to be raised for the reservation, which it never was, and that is what sold me on taking the risk and putting down a deposit

Last edited:

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I agree with NG, there has to be, or will be supply chain issues that are no fault of Speeds. But like Orange man, I good waiting for them to get it done.

951prerun

Reaction score
I just came across this thread and it’s kept me busy for a while getting caught up. Entertaining stuff. I’m #31 and bought in September 2019. It’s been tough waiting but I really think the weekly live show has kept people from losing their shit. I really don’t think RG is letting everything out of the bag. He’s only releasing what people can digest. I have a background in Offroad racing and fabrication and there is not much to dislike on the car (obviously some are not a fan of looks). I think it’s gonna change the game. Keep in mind I put a deposit on some that’s literally half the car of the current one.

Attachments

• 0F73A9F6-ED5F-479C-B883-4C1E43AE17B5.jpeg
    0F73A9F6-ED5F-479C-B883-4C1E43AE17B5.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 116

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
While he's taking calls, it sure looks like there is a completed car in the background, graphics and all. The same car can also be seen when he's showing the spare tire mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.