WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can I register my cars and toys in AZ???

Taboma

Reaction score
What you are saying is exactly what I and thousands of others have done. You are proving RESIDENCY, not that you are a full time RESIDENT.

The "big difference" you speak of is trying to then claim AZ as your PRIMARY residence and trying to pay resident rates for registration etc.

If you are that worried about it, don't do it, but it is literally a simple process doing exactly what you laid out.

I see, so you're only putting the head in, it's common knowledge, that's not really fucking. 😂

I'm supposed to provide documents to prove an informal, unofficial residency, but not to prove I'm a resident --- OK, sure, for this old boy, I can afford the state fees, far more than at this stage of life I can afford any litigation and time spent in orange overalls. :oops:
So no, I will not be doing it unless one of you fine gents can provide me a legal means of doing so, so far, nothing but slick word play. Besides, in a bit, my wife will joining me in retirement, then I'll be free to be a resident of anywhere we choose, legally.

If you find that application for an unofficial residency ID card, please be sure to post it. ;)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I see, so you're only putting the head in, it's common knowledge, that's not really fucking. 😂

I'm supposed to provide documents to prove an informal, unofficial residency, but not to prove I'm a resident --- OK, sure, for this old boy, I can afford the state fees, far more than at this stage of life I can afford any litigation and time spent in orange overalls. :oops:
So no, I will not be doing it unless one of you fine gents can provide me a legal means of doing so, so far, nothing but slick word play. Besides, in a bit, my wife will joining me in retirement, then I'll be free to be a resident of anywhere we choose, legally.

If you find that application for an unofficial residency ID card, please be sure to post it. ;)

If it wasn’t legal, they wouldn’t give it to you, me, or the thousands of other people with AZ IDs that provided the proper paperwork.

If you look up the definition of an AZ resident below, you will see that providing a mailing address and 2 bills does not qualify you as a resident of the state of AZ. By definition of the state’s own law, you are not establishing valid residency there. And there is no requirement to be a resident of AZ in order to get an ID card.

If you don’t believe me, tell them you instead want an AZ driver license and then the interrogations will begin.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
@LakeMeadLavey You walk into MVD and register the vehicle. You will need an address where the car is stored and for mail. That is it. You don’t need a AZ DL.

I registered my car there for the same reason as you, and still have cars registered in CA.

This is 100% correct. We had a vehicle for a couple of year at my MIL and never had AZ DL or ID.

Taboma

Reaction score
If it wasn’t legal, they wouldn’t give it to you, me, or the thousands of other people with AZ IDs that provided the proper paperwork.

If you look up the definition of an AZ resident below, you will see that providing a mailing address and 2 bills does not qualify you as a resident of the state of AZ. By definition of the state’s own law, you are not establishing valid residency there. And there is no requirement to be a resident of AZ in order to get an ID card.

If you don’t believe me, tell them you instead want an AZ driver license and then the interrogations will begin.

Nice dance, but there are not two degrees of residency as you're implying, there's only one. You either meet those rules of being a resident or you don't.
By submitting those documents and signing the form you're stating legally that you meet the residency requirements.

What purpose does having an AZ ID provide if it isn't a proof of AZ residency ? I mean other than justifying having an offroad sticker on your AZ car in the CA desert. 😁

The form clearly states that you're submitting the two utility docs as proof of residency, it doesn't state, proof that you're a property owner or an almost resident, or an occasional resident.

Does the ID they gave you state it's NOT proof of residency ? Does the ID state it's not to be used as a form of legal identification in the state of Arizona ?

If you use it to purchase a handgun in AZ, and you fill out ATF form 4473, what address are you writing in line # 10, your AZ one or CA one ?

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I registered my dually in Arizona and it was easy as could be.

The key is to have both husband and wife on title. If CHP pulls you over you can lead him to believe that your spouse is licensed in Arizona. You can also state that you are dual residents and only brought the truck back for repairs or to tow your boat back.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
We researched the residency part back when we went full time rv'ing. It was more for income tax purposes. Basically, if you spend six months somewhere then that is your residency. If you do not spend six months anywhere then you get to chose which state you are a resident. High tax states "may" come after you to prove you were out of state for 6 months. They never did for us. We had credit card statements in case we had to prove it.

No we spend 6 months in Florida and 6 Months in TN. We are Florida residents, yet my truck is registered in TN. Insurance is half in TN than FL, is why we do it that way.

Now what I see as a loop hole if some law where changed. We usually spend a week traveling to see grandkids when we go back to FL for the winter and a week to see them when we come back to TN in the summer. So technically we do not spend 6 months in either place and can prove it if needed.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Is it still cheaper to register your cars and trucks in Arizona than California? When I purchased my Toyhauler in Tucson last month it was going to be approx 5% more to register that in Arizona. I heard Arizona raised their fees during last November’s election. Not 100% sure if this is true or not?

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
It’s always funny when these threads are started… weather it’s CA or AZ, and you’ve got members here with factual knowledge… (BoatCop for AZ stuff, for one) who chime in with the actual answers.

Then you get so many second hand stories, my friend this and my parents that. But but but but. Haha.

CAN you? Fuck yes you can. AZ will take your money, I promise.

Is it legal? No, it’s actually a misdemeanor if you want to look at it in black and white. AZ has the same law.

Keys to success if you do it.

1. Don’t drive like a prick and get pulled over.

2. If you DO drive like a prick and get pulled over, don’t actually BE a prick.

3. Don’t have asshole neighbors who report you.

Working where I work, I see this a LOT more than most cops would, because of all the river traffic I deal with. Have I written it? You bet.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Nice dance, but there are not two degrees of residency as you're implying, there's only one. You either meet those rules of being a resident or you don't.
By submitting those documents and signing the form you're stating legally that you meet the residency requirements.

What purpose does having an AZ ID provide if it isn't a proof of AZ residency ? I mean other than justifying having an offroad sticker on your AZ car in the CA desert. 😁

The form clearly states that you're submitting the two utility docs as proof of residency, it doesn't state, proof that you're a property owner or an almost resident, or an occasional resident.

Does the ID they gave you state it's NOT proof of residency ? Does the ID state it's not to be used as a form of legal identification in the state of Arizona ?

If you use it to purchase a handgun in AZ, and you fill out ATF form 4473, what address are you writing in line # 10, your AZ one or CA one ?

Show me on this form where it says you are claiming any kind of residency status to get an ID.

Wait don’t answer, I hear the black helicopters now.

Go the the MVD and ask for a license and ask to pay resident registration fees if you want to dance.. or just get your ID like a normal person by filling out the application and bringing a couple documents.

The ATF form is a federal form. Put whatever address you want. You just can’t bring your AZ guns into CA.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Show me on this form where it says you are claiming any kind of residency status to get an ID.

Wait don’t answer, I hear the black helicopters now.

Go the the MVD and ask for a license and ask to pay resident registration fees if you want to dance.. or just get your ID like a normal person by filling out the application and bringing a couple documents.

The ATF form is a federal form. Put whatever address you want. You just can’t bring your AZ guns into CA.

HA, new steps I see. 😂 I know from reading you'll dance marathons if necessary, and I'd enjoy seeing you before a judge, not wishing it mind you, just for my selfish entertainment. ;)

" Put whatever address you want" , now that fucking funny, so federal law residency requirements are where you're hanging your hat, not where you actually claim residency, got it, thanks for the tip.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
HA, new steps I see. 😂 I know from reading you'll dance marathons if necessary, and I'd enjoy seeing you before a judge, not wishing it mind you, just for my selfish entertainment. ;)

" Put whatever address you want" , now that fucking funny, so federal law residency requirements are where you're hanging your hat, not where you actually claim residency, got it, thanks for the tip.

Keep in mind I don't care what address YOU put there in the ATF form. I know what address I will use, and I will be just fine. The ATF is not the CA DOJ or the AZ MVD last time I checked.

I won't be in front of any judge explaining anything.

Oh also the AZ MVD has no problem with your mailing address being out of state. It is very curious that they would mail an ID card to "residents" out of state ;). Don't go in there asking for one.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

77charger

Reaction score

Correct on the guns legal to keep own in az otherwise the feds may have a word with you or ca if you try and bring back off roster handgun.

gun control act of 68 prevents that. When your established resident in one state buy in another to bring back. But if you establish full residency in say az ie voting taxes work home etc then say year later you decide to go back to ca all legal just declare them. Then sell the off rosters 🤔😂

Taboma

Reaction score
Keep in mind I don't care what address YOU put there in the ATF form. I know what address I will use, and I will be just fine. The ATF is not the CA DOJ or the AZ MVD last time I checked.

Oh also the AZ MVD has no problem with your mailing address being out of state. It is very curious that they would mail an ID card to "residents" out of state ;). Don't go in there asking for one.

The letter I received several years ago from the state of Arizona, accusing me of registration fraud and stating the penalties I was facing was triggered by a Game and Fish renewal using a payment check that displayed our California address. For everything else, including correspondence, we'd been using our AZ address.

So all my current AZ watercraft and vehicle registrations are fully compliant to the letter of the law, not my personal interpretations of it.

So good luck 👍

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Is it still cheaper to register your cars and trucks in Arizona than California? When I purchased my Toyhauler in Tucson last month it was going to be approx 5% more to register that in Arizona. I heard Arizona raised their fees during last November’s election. Not 100% sure if this is true or not?

My dually was about $1000 in California and $600 in Arizona. They definitely went up, but still a bit of savings. However, if you wanted to do some modifications to your diesel, then its highly worth it!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The letter I received several years ago from the state of Arizona, accusing me of registration fraud and stating the penalties I was facing was triggered by a Game and Fish renewal using a payment check that displayed our California address. For everything else, including correspondence, we'd been using our AZ address.

So all my current AZ watercraft and vehicle registrations are fully compliant to the letter of the law, not my personal interpretations of it.

So good luck 👍

You got that letter because you ran afoul of the law and tried to pay the AZ resident fee to register yore boat as a non AZ resident. That has nothing to do with obtaining an AZ ID, and obtaining an AZ ID has nothing to do with claiming full time residency in AZ.

To put it simply, If you went in with yore AZ ID and tried to register yore boat as an AZ resident, you would get the exact same response, because obtaining an ID card does not establish full time residency, per the documentation I have already pointed you to.

I don't register my boat as an AZ resident, so I don't have those problems.

With the AZ ID you can buy whatever gun you wanted to in AZ and it is perfectly legal as long as the gun stays in AZ.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

This here I got my AZ id by only showing them my CA dl. I put my AZ address on it but had a CA mailing address. Never a problem and used it to by many guns which I had in both states.

69hondo

Reaction score
If you register your OHV stuff in AZ what is needed when going to say Glamis or Dumont? What I mean is does CA want you to have an out of state pass or something?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This here I got my AZ id by only showing them my CA dl. I put my AZ address on it but had a CA mailing address. Never a problem and used it to by many guns which I had in both states.

Honestly they did not even ask me or my wife for the "other docs" either when I got our AZ IDs. I used my CA dl just as you did, AZ address and CA mailing address. I had the other docs with me, but was never asked for them.

I am not sure, but those other docs may just be the requirement for the "TRAVEL ID" which I did not get. And for @Taboma I never signed anything that asserted I was a full time AZ resident, nor was I asked. I was in and out in 10 mins.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you register your OHV stuff in AZ what is needed when going to say Glamis or Dumont? What I mean is does CA want you to have an out of state pass or something?

Letter of the law says no, and if asked by a cop I'd show my AZ ID to go along with my AZ registered SXS.

A cop can write you for anything. If you are truly worried, get the out of state pass.

goshen82

Reaction score
Just bought a place (finally) at havasu springs. I wanted to register my dually, RZR and the wife’s car in AZ. We are CA residents can I do this with simply getting AZ IDs now that we have an address? Just want to avoid claiming AZ as my primary residence and screwing myself with taxes or capitol gains if I sell my CA house one day. I’m sure plenty of you have done this any help would be appreciated.

where in the springs are you we are in the 700s. I have2 can ams registered in az and the my motor home and stacker as well. I didn’t do my truck or my wife’s car just because I didn’t want to get hassled if I got pulled over.

D19

Reaction score
I called MVD a few days ago. CA tags are almost due on my wife's car and I'm transferring it to AZ this week. Seems like a pretty simple process. We are using the AZ house address but our mailing address will be CA. We don't have AZ lic or IDs.

I'm shopping for a new truck right now. I'll pick up something used and register it in AZ under my AZ business. Is it true that there is no sales tax on used vehicles in AZ from dealers or is it only private party used sales?

Taboma

Reaction score
You got that letter because you ran afoul of the law and tried to pay the AZ resident fee to register yore boat as a non AZ resident. That has nothing to do with obtaining an AZ ID, and obtaining an AZ ID has nothing to do with claiming full time residency in AZ.

To put it simply, If you went in with yore AZ ID and tried to register yore boat as an AZ resident, you would get the exact same response, because obtaining an ID card does not establish full time residency, per the documentation I have already pointed you to.

I don't register my boat as an AZ resident, so I don't have those problems.

With the AZ ID you can buy whatever gun you wanted to in AZ and it is perfectly legal as long as the gun stays in AZ.

I can't find a single document on any AZ DMV website that has any provision for a non-resident ID card. The requirements are clearly stated as you must be a resident of Arizona. When I have the time, I'm going to contact the AZ DMV and inquire if they offer an ID card for residents of other states and if so what purpose it serves.

Also, I can't find a single federal gun law that allows an out of state resident to purchase a handgun in another state, unless it's accomplished with a FFL and picked up in your state of actual residence.

You have not pointed me to anything you think you have, the requirements for completing and signing that application form are clearly spelled out with you being required to show two documents to attest to your AZ state residency.
Perhaps the legalities have changed since you acquired yours ?

Anyway, I'll call when I get the chance. Could you please PM me your name and address, I promise I won't post it on RDP, but I might suggest the AZ DMV contact you so you'll be in compliance. :oops: 😂

PlanB

Reaction score
FYI, residency requirements per the ATF to buy firearms is not the same as the way states define residency. I have posted this before (from the ATF website), but here it is again. I have had an AZ ID for over 20 years and have LEGALLY purchased guns in both AZ and CA. You can be a dual resident according to the ATF if you own a HOME in the state of residency and are present in that state. The states define residency differently.

Permanent
27 CFR 478.11

State of residence. The State in which an individual resides.

An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State
with the intention of making a home in that State.

If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces,
the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her
permanent duty station is located.

An alien who is legally in the United States shall be considered to
be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in the State
and has resided in the State for a period of at least 90 days prior
to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm. The following are
examples that illustrate this definition:

Example 1. A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a
hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not
become a resident of State Y by reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and
a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the
summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the
summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides
in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A
actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Example 3. A, an alien, travels on vacation or on a business trip to
State X. Regardless of the length of time A spends in State X, A
does not have a State of residence in State X. This is because A
does not have a home in State X at which he has resided for at
least 90 days.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I can't find a single document on any AZ DMV website that has any provision for a non-resident ID card. The requirements are clearly stated as you must be a resident of Arizona. When I have the time, I'm going to contact the AZ DMV and inquire if they offer an ID card for residents of other states and if so what purpose it serves.

Also, I can't find a single federal gun law that allows an out of state resident to purchase a handgun in another state, unless it's accomplished with a FFL and picked up in your state of actual residence.

You have not pointed me to anything you think you have, the requirements for completing and signing that application form are clearly spelled out with you being required to show two documents to attest to your AZ state residency.

Anyway, I'll call when I get the chance. Could you please PM me your name and address, I promise I won't post it on RDP, but I might suggest the AZ DMV contact you so you'll be in compliance. :oops: 😂

You are overthinking this.. all of this. I get it, you retired people have a lot of time on your hands to worry about stuff :)

Take a breath, it will all be fine. There is not a "non resident" ID. The simple fact is you do not have to be a resident to get an ID in another state.

PlanB

Reaction score

I just posted it...

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I believe per the law in both CA and AZ is that if the vehicle itself resides within that state for more than half the year it must be registered to that state.

So if you have a vacation home with a tow vehicle that stays there you can register it there no matter where your DL is from.

Taboma

Reaction score
You are overthinking this.. all of this. I get it, you retired people have a lot of time on your hands to worry about stuff :)

No, more like I'm old and don't want to spent the last of my fucking "Golden Years" paying out my DCB fantasy boat money to fancy Lambo driving attorneys. 😁

Besides, I don't need to buy any guns in AZ , all my CA cars are smog legal ( I think, I hope ), I've decided it's way to fucking hot to live in AZ full time, and I can easily wait until my wife has gotten her rocks off enough in her career --- Oh and I like the money she brings home 😍
So I'm being patient and extremely conservative with my legal interpretations. 👍

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I believe per the law in both CA and AZ is that if the vehicle itself resides within that state for more than half the year it must be registered to that state.

So if you have a vacation home with a tow vehicle that stays there you can register it there no matter where your DL is from.
It always comes down to which state's law you are breaking..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No, more like I'm old and don't want to spent the last of my fucking "Golden Years" paying out my DCB fantasy boat money to fancy Lambo driving attorneys. 😁

Besides, I don't need to buy any guns in AZ , all my CA cars are smog legal ( I think, I hope ), I've decided it's way to fucking hot to live in AZ full time, and I can easily wait until my wife has gotten her rocks off enough in her career --- Oh and I like the money she brings home 😍
So I'm being patient and extremely conservative with my legal interpretations. 👍

That is all fine, but realize all of us with AZ IDs are perfectly legal and within the law.

Taboma

Reaction score
FYI, residency requirements per the ATF to buy firearms is not the same as the way states define residency. I have posted this before (from the ATF website), but here it is again. I have had an AZ ID for over 20 years and have LEGALLY purchased guns in both AZ and CA. You can be a dual resident according to the ATF if you own a HOME in the state of residency and are present in that state. The states define residency differently.

Permanent
27 CFR 478.11

State of residence. The State in which an individual resides.

An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State
with the intention of making a home in that State.

If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces,
the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her
permanent duty station is located.

An alien who is legally in the United States shall be considered to
be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in the State
and has resided in the State for a period of at least 90 days prior
to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm. The following are
examples that illustrate this definition:

Example 1. A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a
hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not
become a resident of State Y by reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and
a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the
summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the
summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides
in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A
actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Example 3. A, an alien, travels on vacation or on a business trip to
State X. Regardless of the length of time A spends in State X, A
does not have a State of residence in State X. This is because A
does not have a home in State X at which he has resided for at
least 90 days.

So in other words, by owning a vacation residence in another state other than the one I'm a legal resident of, Example 2. allows for the purchase of a handgun and is an exception to the Federal interstate transfer of firearms that would require a FFL back to your state of legal residency. ? Cool. 👍

If that's true not sure why an AZ ID is even necessary, I should be able to present a property tax bill and or proof of paying utilities, and fill out the application with the AZ address.
Since the AZ non-Resident ID that I'm unable to find any evidence of doesn't prove residency, then having it for firearm purchase is irrelevant.

Taboma

Reaction score
That is all fine, but realize all of us with AZ IDs are perfectly legal and within the law.

It's not for me to realize or judge, I'm only taking your word for it, I can find nothing to substantiate your claims and you've given me nothing other than " Oh it was easy, they didn't ask for any proof"

PlanB

Reaction score
So in other words, by owning a vacation residence in another state other than the one I'm a legal resident of, Example 2. allows for the purchase of a handgun and is an exception to the Federal interstate transfer of firearms that would require a FFL back to your state of legal residency. ? Cool. 👍

If that's true not sure why an AZ ID is even necessary, I should be able to present a property tax bill and or proof of paying utilities, and fill out the application with the AZ address.
Since the AZ non-Resident ID that I'm unable to find any evidence of doesn't prove residency, then having it for firearm purchase is irrelevant.

Your vacation residence needs to be considered a "home". We don't rent our place and it is truly a home for us. We also have a condo in NC that us purely a rental. I could not legally buy firearms in NC because the condo is not a "home".

As far as ID requirements to purchase in AZ, I use my AZ ID along with my AZ CCW to avoid the background check and fee. You would have to ask the FFL in AZ what they will accept in order to buy a firearm.

If you do buy in AZ do not bring your AZ firearms into California. California has state laws that prohibit this.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It's not for me to realize or judge, I'm only taking your word for it, I can find nothing to substantiate your claims and you've given me nothing other than " Oh it was easy, they didn't ask for any proof"

No, I’ve provided you multiple artifacts, documents, and personal experiences that show that asserting primary residency for state benefits and tax purposes is not part of obtaining an ID in AZ.

If you refuse to believe or acknowledge those facts and experiences, I can’t help any further.

Taboma

Reaction score
Your vacation residence needs to be considered a "home". We don't rent our place and it is truly a home for us. We also have a condo in NC that us purely a rental. I could not legally buy firearms in NC because the condo is not a "home".

As far as ID requirements to purchase in AZ, I use my AZ ID along with my AZ CCW to avoid the background check and fee. You would have to ask the FFL in AZ what they will accept in order to buy a firearm.

If you do buy in AZ do not bring your AZ firearms into California. California has state laws that prohibit this.

Thanks, yes had my Havasu home for 26 years, but never obtained an ID and now LOF's trying to con me into breaking the law. 😂

Taboma

Reaction score
No, I’ve provided you multiple artifacts, documents, and personal experiences that show that asserting primary residency for state benefits and tax purposes is not part of obtaining an ID in AZ.

If you refuse to believe or acknowledge those facts and experiences, I can’t help any further.

The document you provided doesn't absolve you from the requirements I circled in red --- those two pesky documents you submit that establish proof of residency.
All you're saying is nobody asked for those documents when you applied.
There is no MVD document that allows for or states the requirements for a Non-resident Arizona ID card, or even the existence of such a card.
No worries, I'll call them one of these mornings soon, if I'm wrong I'll be most pleased.

PlanB did however provide a out of state home ownership exception in the ATF definition, very cool.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The document you provided doesn't absolve you from the requirements I circled in red --- those two pesky documents you submit that establish proof of residency.
All you're saying is nobody asked for those documents when you applied.
There is no MVD document that allows for or states the requirements for a Non-resident Arizona ID card, or even the existence of such a card.
No worries, I'll call them one of these mornings soon, if I'm wrong I'll be most pleased.

PlanB did however provide a out of state home ownership exception in the ATF definition, very cool.

Like multiple people have said, for the NON TRAVEL ID, I was not even asked for those 2 documents. Again you are overthinking it and creating barriers in your mind that don't exist. The ID alone does not establish primary residency in AZ. The AZ ID "residency" requirement is EXACTLY like the ATF requirement. You have a 2nd home in AZ, when you are there in AZ you reside there (obviously). That does not mean you are a primary resident of AZ and will be taxed there.

Nowhere on the ID application (the one you actually sign) are you asserting you live in AZ full time. You are just asserting you have a physical address with financial responsibility in the state. That is it.

The out of state firearm ownership has always been there, that is how everyone that has a 2nd home in AZ buys guns in AZ. The only rule is you can't bring them back to CA.

If you are this worked up about it, why don't you just call the AZ MVD and ask for yourself and report back.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
YOU DONT NEED AN OUT OF STATE OHV STICKER IN CA IF YOU ARE OHV REGd IN AZ.

From that page

An Arizona "MC" plate is registration and is accepted for off-highway operation in California. A vehicle with an Arizona "MC" plate may or may not be street legal in California. In order to be street legal, a vehicle must be designed and tested by the manufacturer for highway use consistent with federal regulations (e.g., legally equipped dual-sport motorcycle).
This clearly states it is for non-California residents.
What is the deal for Ca residents that might operate properly Az registered SxS's in Ca?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This clearly states it is for non-California residents.
What is the deal for Ca residents that might operate properly Az registered SxS's in Ca?

Buy the CA green sticker reg as well, and/or hand the cop your AZ ID if asked.

Paying for registration in both states is the infallible method.

Last edited:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

This is what I did to buy a firearm last May. I don't have the AZ CCW. I did have to wait a few days since they were so backed up with gun sales.

Taboma

Reaction score
Oh here's a form I can use instead of one of those other proof of residency documents. It's an Arizona Residency Affidavit for the purpose of obtaining an DL or ID.
Like multiple people have said, for the NON TRAVEL ID, I was not even asked for those 2 documents. Again you are overthinking it and creating barriers in your mind that don't exist. The ID alone does not establish primary residency in AZ. The AZ ID "residency" requirement is EXACTLY like the ATF requirement. You have a 2nd home in AZ, when you are there in AZ you reside there (obviously). That does not mean you are a primary resident of AZ and will be taxed there.

Nowhere on the ID application (the one you actually sign) are you asserting you live in AZ full time. You are just asserting you have a physical address with financial responsibility in the state. That is it.

The out of state firearm ownership has always been there, that is how everyone that has a 2nd home in AZ buys guns in AZ. The only rule is you can't bring them back to CA.

If you are this worked up about it, why don't you just call the AZ MVD and ask for yourself and report back.

I am going to call, that's what I said four posts ago. 😁 I was going to email them, but they want to much personal info. :oops:

Attachments

• AZ Residency affidavit.JPG
    AZ Residency affidavit.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 46

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Oh here's a form I can use instead of one of those other proof of residency documents. It's an Arizona Residency Affidavit for the purpose of obtaining an DL or ID.

I am going to call, that's what I said four posts ago. 😁 I was going to email them, but they want to much personal info. :oops:

If i was you I'd just stay and keep it all in CA, it's super nice there 🤣 🤣

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

So good luck 👍
Lol, I have a Ca registered vehicle that I keep in Az full time but on rare occasion drive into Ca. For a few years I was able to get a smog test exemption at renewal time. Then finally one year they insisted I get a smog on it. Well timing of this was during a period the car sat 3-4 months untouched. We departed Az too soon to smog for renewal and too late after our return.
Ca Dmv simply told me to register the car in Az. Me: But, but, but, I drive it into Ca every so often? Dmv: well that won't be legal anymore.
So now, I pay the Ca dmv fees so they aren't delinquent, they send me notice it's incomplete and not a valid registration, then when I do get back to Az I "illegally" drive it to Needles, get it smogged, drop by the Needles dmv office and get my tags on the spot.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

That document is not needed to get an ID...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Its not necessary to have an Az ID to purchase a firearm if you own and use property in Az. You are not supposed to bring said firearm back to Ca unless properly registered/transferred via ffl.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This is what I did to buy a firearm last May. I don't have the AZ CCW. I did have to wait a few days since they were so backed up with gun sales.
Ohhhhhh no, you have an AZ id?????

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

That's exactly what I'm doing.

My Essex is AZ Non-Resident, my extreme trailer is now CA. The Autoclub inspected it and it was really no big deal.

I figured it was a wash either way so I left it as it was when purchased. However pulling that fucker in CA with an AZ plate in my name is problems. Hence the CA on the trailer. I'm not even sure I can register the trailer in AZ without a residence now that I think of it. Certainly not through the mail as I did with the AZ Boat registration.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Do i need a non-resident ID to purchase a 5-star tuner? CARB doesnt let me buy one in California 😢