WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

PLAID DRAG STRIP TESTING

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Damn numbers are impressive. Makes one think this is the way to go for a performance vehicle.

Depends on how you define performance. These EV's are dead impressive acceleration machines. Tesla smartly puts quite short gearing in it to get that ridiculous 0-30 that most people will experience on the road. In my (albeit limited) experience driving them they are kind of one trick pony's with that acceleration. They didn't feel the best under braking and through cornering, simply due to the mass in my opinion.

As battery technology improves EV's will definitely be the future of all around performance vehicles, the possibilities are endless with electronic torque vectoring.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
9.25 1/4 mile 😱😱😱

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
But how long does the battery last doing that?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Depends on how you define performance. These EV's are dead impressive acceleration machines. Tesla smartly puts quite short gearing in it to get that ridiculous 0-30 that most people will experience on the road. In my (albeit limited) experience driving them they are kind of one trick pony's with that acceleration. They didn't feel the best under braking and through cornering, simply due to the mass in my opinion.

As battery technology improves EV's will definitely be the future of all around performance vehicles, the possibilities are endless with electronic torque vectoring.

They are great stoplight to stoplight cars unquestionably. Handling is OK ish. They are heavy, but all the weight is low.

Reactions: DWC

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I'll have to remember this when I see one on the street
I would get whipped on my Zx14R
But i also didn't spend $125k lol

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
The impressive part is how well they retain traction at those acceleration speeds. Super cars are taking advantage of both electric and combustible technology to push the limits. Still not affordable for an average Joe though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Haulin ass. I don’t really like that wheel, and I thought it was supposed to have a 500 mile range…

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you watch “Cleetus McFarland” on YouTube, but he just had a spectator oval race. Basically a drag start and 1 lap around a banked short oval. Damn Tesla model 3 and the smaller SUV (both the “hot” models of course) damn near took out a 60 car field. Victims included a GT3 Porsche. Damn impressive. This is sub 100mph stuff though. On the big end is where the battery powered cars start falling off compared to internal combustion vehicles.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you watch “Cleetus McFarland” on YouTube, but he just had a spectator oval race. Basically a drag start and 1 lap around a banked short oval. Damn Tesla model 3 and the smaller SUV (both the “hot” models of course) damn near took out a 60 car field. Victims included a GT3 Porsche. Damn impressive. This is sub 100mph stuff though. On the big end is where the battery powered cars start falling off compared to internal combustion vehicles.
Yea that is a 3/8 mile track I believe? hard to catch up if they get the hole shot. Plus some of that is driver (or lack of driver) as well.

DWC

Reaction score
I'd love to swap a Tesla drive train into an early car...slightly cost prohibitive...but around town would be cool.
So, I'll stick to lumpy cams and loud pipes!
There are some pretty crazy conversions out there. Not sure I’d do a real Porsche but a replica could be cool.
8CF70090-4FD4-4D93-BEAD-C281B55DD6CB.jpeg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Electric technology will obsolete internal combustion horsepower eventually. I'll probably be about 70 by then and not really care.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'll try to dig up some pics of my 74 Toyota Landcuiser FJ40 I frankenstein'd when i was in my early 20's . . . built 400 small block chevy roller motor, turbo 400 trans, 4.88 currie ford 9" w' posi . . . ladder bars, 33" dunlops on Alcoas . . . dumped the transfer case & front axles & went 2WD . . . fiberglass front end, . . . lucky to still be alive . . . i forget the stall converter we had in that thing . . . i do remember pulling my friends moms 1984 vette from street light to red light . . . then hitting the brakes to slow down and drifting in a full skid . . . . . sold it to some Russians who sent it back there . . .

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Nope :). A low 9 second gas car can still have a 300+ mile range.

Tesla Plaid- 9.25 quarter mile, 390 mile range..

You don't hear much about quarter mile times with range, is that even a thing?

What gas car beats the Tesla Plaid on the drag strip that can go 390 miles?

Taboma

Reaction score
I wonder if they're still icing / supercooling the Tesla batteries prior to the runs ? That was a factory trick early on, since heat and electricity are natural enemies.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I wonder if they're still icing / supercooling the Tesla batteries prior to the runs ? That was a factory trick early on, since heat and electricity are natural enemies.

So they run 2 diesel 12kw generators to super cool the batteries? Are the jennies California emissions compliant? DEF and DPF?

Asking for a friend.

Dan'l

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My brother has a performance 3. They performed some serious magic in generating that much torque without wheel spin. The drive train is impressive. If you have your foot hard on the go button you aren't gonna hit 300 miles. Might be lucky to go 150.

Taboma

Reaction score
So they run 2 diesel 12kw generators to super cool the batteries? Are the jennies California emissions compliant? DEF and DPF?

Asking for a friend.

Dan'l

They using these gens to run chillers for pre-cooling ? I'm not familiar with that aspect of the cooling process, I can only recall reading articles from several years ago where Tesla factory engineers were onsite chilling the batts to obtain better numbers.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Tesla Plaid- 9.25 quarter mile, 390 mile range..

You don't hear much about quarter mile times with range, is that even a thing?

What gas car beats the Tesla Plaid on the drag strip that can go 390 miles?

The point is the Tesla CANT go to the drag strip AND go 390 miles.

The gas car can’t either, but a night at the test and tune with the Tesla kills more range than it does with a gas car.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
no way a 9 second gas car is making 1,200 quarter mile passes on a single tank of gas. You are smoking some good crack sir.

He was not asserting it would do 300 miles 1/4 mile at a time sir.

Range and performance are 2 different things.

And anyway, it would only be 600 passes. Remember there is a 1/4 mile return road after the 1/4 mile pass. 😉

lbhsbz

Reaction score
He was not asserting it would do 300 miles 1/4 mile at a time sir.

Range and performance are 2 different things.

And anyway, it would only be 600 passes. Remember there is a 1/4 mile return road after the 1/4 mile pass. 😉
But what about the regenerative braking?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
But what about the regenerative braking?

You don't regen what you used on a full throttle pass slowing down from it in regen. If you didn't use the brakes to slow down from 150 you'd be in the gravel trap.

Regen is for gently coming to a stop. You could crank it up to the aggressive setting i guess, but you still aren't going to make all the power back.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
But the whole conversation is how long could the battery last if you are doing 1/4 mile passes. Someone says that they think the battery would last longer than a gas car making the same number of passes that is equally as fast. Your answer is a 9 second gas car can go 300 miles. Someone corrects you, saying not if you are making passes. Then you double down saying its longer than a tesla.

And honestly most 9 second cars have a small fuel cell and drink gas like crazy on full passes. You aren't getting 300 miles out of one even on the freeway unless you built it go long ranges on purpose.

Honestly no, 9 second cars are street cars today. I, you, whoever can go buy the parts and bolt them on to make a Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, whatever, and go run low 9s.

If that is the question you want answered, The answer is still likely no.. A gas car with a normal tank will likely run more drag passes than the Tesla. Of course that depends on the car and the size of the OEM tank.

Plaid model is new, but I know the old performance model before it (P100D) could not complete a open track day (roadcourse) on a full charge, and I saw that on 3 occasions at 2 different tracks. This was not even in Ludacris mode. The owners knew the car would not last the entire event, nor would the car be able to get them home and trailered the car to the events.

I didn't even go through a full tank of fuel... Nearly all of the gas cars don't use a full tank at a track event.

Bottom line.. Hooning around an electric car costs a LOT of range. Not just from actually driving it, but keeping the batteries and systems cool, especially when hot lapping it. The same is true in a gas car.

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
I drove my buddy’s 3 in Ludicrous mode (2.8 0-60 ….10.6 1/4 mile) I had no idea it was that car. He didn’t tell me, he just said, “stick it to the floor” - Holy shit.

The first thing that came to mind was that one new piece of relatively simple technology just leap frogged an entire industry. LOL how much time and money did you spend in high school trying to get another 1/2 second out of your car. It was like going from an LP to digital music but overnight.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Honestly no, 9 second cars are street cars today. I, you, whoever can go buy the parts and bolt them on to make a Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, whatever, and go run low 9s.

If that is the question you want answered, The answer is still likely no.. A gas car with a normal tank will likely run more drag passes than the Tesla. Of course that depends on the car and the size of the OEM tank.

Plaid model is new, but I know the old performance model before it (P100D) could not complete a open track day (roadcourse) on a full charge, and I saw that on 3 occasions at 2 different tracks. This was not even in Ludacris mode. The owners knew the car would not last the entire event, nor would the car be able to get them home and trailered the car to the events.

I didn't even go through a full tank of fuel... Nearly all of the gas cars don't use a full tank at a track event.

Bottom line.. Hooning around an electric car costs a LOT of range. Not just from actually driving it, but keeping the batteries and systems cool, especially when hot lapping it. The same is true in a gas car.

Horsepower hours.
Pretty simple.

Dan'l

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I drove my buddy’s 3 in Ludicrous mode (2.8 0-60 ….10.6 1/4 mile) I had no idea it was that car. He didn’t tell me, he just said, “stick it to the floor” - Holy shit.

The first thing that came to mind was that one new piece of relatively simple technology just leap frogged an entire industry. LOL how much time and money did you spend in high school trying to get another 1/2 second out of your car. It was like going from an LP to digital music but overnight.

I thought the fastest model 3's ran high elevens at 114. Where did you see the 10.6?

DWC

Reaction score
My brother has a performance 3. They performed some serious magic in generating that much torque without wheel spin. The drive train is impressive. If you have your foot hard on the go button you aren't gonna hit 300 miles. Might be lucky to go 150.
That’s with the air and radio off :cool: I drive pretty slow and the range isn’t really the range. I love driving the wife’s car but not sure i could do it on a regular basis. Prefer to get in and go and stop when i feel like it.

2Driver

Reaction score
I thought the fastest model 3's ran high elevens at 114. Where did you see the 10.6?

There are so many slight model changes over the years and retrofits from what have read. There is a non- plaid S model p100 model that does 10.6. There is a good motor trend article that covers all the years, different configs and spec times.

LOL all I know is things went blurry for a couple seconds after I floored it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Camaro, Mustang, Corvette.. You slap a turbo kit on, you are not drastically changing the highway mileage of any of these vehicles.

A Stock Hellcat Redeye will run 10.1 in the 1/4 mile and get 21 highway MPG. That is a heavy, 800 HP factory car that is easy to add another 200 HP to.

A 911 GT2 will run 9.4 in the 1/4 and also has a highway mileage of 21 MPG.

Both of those are on DOT tires and are stock 2WD cars.

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Camaro, Mustang, Corvette.. You slap a turbo kit on, you are not drastically changing the highway mileage of any of these vehicles.

A Stock Hellcat Redeye will run 10.1 in the 1/4 mile and get 21 highway MPG. That is a heavy, 800 HP factory car that is easy to add another 200 HP to.

A 911 GT2 will run 9.4 in the 1/4 and also has a highway mileage of 21 MPG.

Both of those are on DOT tires and are stock 2WD cars.

All those cars you mentioned are slower than a stock Tesla Model S plaid. But now you're talking about bolting on turbos and MPG? lol That's so random, you're killing me.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
All those cars you mentioned are slower than a stock Tesla Model S plaid. But now you're talking about bolting on turbos and MPG? lol That's so random, you're killing me.

Recall no one ever said anything about a stock 9 second gas car that will outrun the Tesla. The Tesla is the fastest thing out there at the moment I think.

I said you can make a low 9 second street car that will pretty much retain stockish fuel economy and have a similar range when driven on the highway. Someone said "9 second cars have fuel cells" No they don't, well not today's low 9 second street cars at least.

That is all I said. It is a simple fact. I can point you to many 1000+ HP modern mustangs, corvettes and camaros that run low 9s that retain all the functions they came with as new and drive nearly like stock cars.