WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What Have you Guys Done when a Newborn is on the Way? (Boatless or Not?)

gqchris

Reaction score
My son was out at 6 wks, and is 18 months now. He LOOOOVES the boat, he can't walk by it without grunting and pulling on the cover. My situation is similar and different in many ways. My wife likes the river but isn't a diehard like I am. We have a 27' formula with a cabin and it works perfectly now, he has an insulated cabin with a bed, couches and a freshwater sink/toilet system.

Here is what I have learned, and it was the hard way I learned this, short trips are your friend, only a couple hours a day. Either get out early and off by noon, or do the 3 to sundown bit. When it's mid day and the kid needs to nap but can't it makes for one one pissed off mommy, we all know how easy post partum ladies are to deal with. As long as the kid is hydrated and gets the naps in, all is well.

As far as the boat thing goes, the hallett will be perfect in a few years. Once mine gets old enough to be getting on and off the boat by himself an open bow or mid cuddy will be on the docket, but for now the full cabin is worth its weight in gold View attachment 1029202 View attachment 1029203

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Love me some Formulas, Crickett! And you are right, thats a great boat to make momma and baby happy as well. Thanks for the advice!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
If you can get top dollar for it now I’d do it. The market is still pretty high and you can pick something up later. The storage and insurance savings will help offset diapers and formula.
Three kids and I’d say that too young didn’t stop nearly as many trips as sports/birthday parties/kids stuff. Not even close.
It comes down to what the two of you want to do with the kids during your free time. River, Ocean or other.

Don who said anything about top dollar. I was talking fair market price less commissions for those that helped in the process. :looking:

707dog

Reaction score
My son was out at 6 wks, and is 18 months now. He LOOOOVES the boat, he can't walk by it without grunting and pulling on the cover. My situation is similar and different in many ways. My wife likes the river but isn't a diehard like I am. We have a 27' formula with a cabin and it works perfectly now, he has an insulated cabin with a bed, couches and a freshwater sink/toilet system.

Here is what I have learned, and it was the hard way I learned this, short trips are your friend, only a couple hours a day. Either get out early and off by noon, or do the 3 to sundown bit. When it's mid day and the kid needs to nap but can't it makes for one one pissed off mommy, we all know how easy post partum ladies are to deal with. As long as the kid is hydrated and gets the naps in, all is well.

As far as the boat thing goes, the hallett will be perfect in a few years. Once mine gets old enough to be getting on and off the boat by himself an open bow or mid cuddy will be on the docket, but for now the full cabin is worth its weight in gold View attachment 1029202 View attachment 1029203

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
all the same reasons i sold my 240 closed bow... kids were small and the cuddy just worked like it should even momma would go crash out for a few, fast forward kids got older wanting to bring friends, more water sports...ect 25ft open bow boat has exceeded my expectations 240 or 270 will be the next boat.

Last edited:

attitude

Reaction score
Are we with the same girl LOL. We have our second baby due September 7th and my girlfriend is the same way as your wife when it comes to the river and other people watching the baby. I don’t own a boat as I can’t justify the the money when we only make it out to the river a couple a times a year but that is mostly due to the fact the we work completely opposite schedules. I am also lucky enough to have parents that both have boats we can tag along with. If your wife continues to be like my girlfriend she will come around to it, once you guys get the hang of being parents a river trip won’t seem like such a crazy idea. I’m also not sure where you stay at the river but we usually get a dock at the Islander so we can do a nice morning cruse come back around noon so baby and grandpa can take a nap and then head out in the afternoon until sunset, that seems to really work for everyone and keeps everyone in a good mood.

707dog

Reaction score
@gqchris iv been in the same baby deal as you twice keep that 240 you will regret selling it.. had a searay 240 at the time but my son was born in December by April he had already been out a few times by June we were in Havasu for 5 days not one issues. like mentioned small trips to the lake to get it figure out and did the same thing when my daughter was born just in a hallett 210 and then a 240 just find the amenities needed to make momma and baby comfy as time goes by it gets easier. kids 14/12 and enjoys boating just as much as I do, my wife just tags along for the free drinks and boat ride 🤷‍♂️ 😅

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Didn’t read all the responses. But
Keep everything for at least the first year if not two. Emotions sway big time with your first. We were out with ours at 3 months. Shorter days but still out.
Regret sucks. So keep it all until you are sure why your getting rid of any toy and or why your getting a different one.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank0088

Reaction score
Keep the boat. If you miss a few months of this season, who cares. You will make great memories next season and the next and so on. I bought my first boat the week my wife had our second son. To many memories made. Congrats to you and your wife.

77charger

Reaction score
I grew up with a boat my dad had our first in 77 i think i was 4 then.So been boating a while and there have been some summers where i just say screw it i will we will do other things for a summer or 2.I would still take boat out locally to just get use on it to keep things spinning.

Even the last 2 years use has been limited but it goes to powell next week and used earlier this month but i seem to use the stand up jet skis more often got one for my daughter last year and if its just her and i we use them not the boat,Now if wife and sone want to go then the boat goes.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
i had my daughter on the boat (21' jet) at 6 months old, she grew up around boats, motorcycles etc, no reason to stop living because of kids, now i wouldn't be running out in the ocean with an infant but lakes are different story

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Keep the boat. You are gonna miss half this season. The kid will be boat ready by spring.

badluck

Reaction score
Keep it. If she’s not down take your kid and leave her for the day. You get boat and kid time and she gets time to rest which she’ll appreciate. I took my daughter wakeboarding at 4 months, boat in camping at 5 months in our stoker! Don’t sell unless you’ve already bought something else. All of our best memories are on the boat. We do 100 plus hours a year. Kids were wakeboarding at 4 and slalom skiing at 6. Did I mention, KEEP THE BOAT!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I really wanted to buy that boat. I’d be interested if you list it

Water Romper

Reaction score
Not sure when your daughter is ready to come into this world but when she does, you wont feel like boating-for awhile. Your wife will need your help and support. A new born changes everything HOWEVER with that said, once you guys get used to your "new family" and develop your routine, then start living your lives the way you want to, and if boating is part of that, so be it.
Naturally, taking a new born in a 18 foot flatty is not the best way to go, your Hallett is larger, solid, lots of room and can accommodate the additional crew member and accessories (formula, diapers, food, lord know what else that little one needs)
You may need to curtail your boating habits for awhile, no speed runs, boozing is out of the question, watch the chop and careful of loud music, keep the bimini up, No SUN ALLOWED, make sure YOU help your wife, once she's happy, your happy and the baby will be happy.
You like to camp? go camping, Like road trips? go drive, like boating? go boating- Raise your daughter to your lifestyle (within reason) and enjoy your new family.
One last note-Keep your boat, if you and your wife decide a different boat (pontoon, deck or? ) is needed or wanted down the road then so be it but for now, enjoy your new chapter in life.

gqchris

Reaction score
All of my kids were out in the boats from infants to toddlers etc..

if you boat in October and the warm weekends in the winter you will be fine.

Dave, you met Stacy at the River! [emoji23]of course I know Momma would be ready for them to be on the boats asap.

Mine, not so much!

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Sell your boat?
That’s just crazy talk. Ive parked my boat for years at a time.

Mike K

Reaction score
Here’s what I learned.
Both my daughters have brand new babies .
Their husbands have boats for Havasu.
They can’t go boating this summer at all because their Doctors told them they have to wait 8 months before the babies can go to the heat in Havasu cuz babies can’t regulate their body temperature until 8 months … after 8 months I guess it’s all good .

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Not sure why people think they can’t take babies on boats.

Wet beach towels do wonders for keeping them cool.

RodnJen

Reaction score
We kept it, but we are long-haulers. We knew boating would be part of our future with or without kids. We ordered a new boat, used it twice then got pregnant. During the pregnancy summer we put more hours on it than any of the 18 years of ownership. couldn’t party or do watersports so we drove around a lot. The next child was born in August and the boat sat, oh well.

It is a very personal/situational choice. My guess is that you already know the best answer for you. 👍

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Who says you can’t go boating? It’s just bringing more stuff. Keep a wet towel on em, a little kiddie pool, little life jacket… two kids here and we try to go as much as we can. We aren’t on the lake from sun rise to dark, you’ll know when you’ve had enough. Kids don’t stop boating… they make it better. It becomes the whole reason why you go boating and go to the lake. Get away from everyone else and have some quality FAMILY TIME.

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My wife was never really a river girl. I thought when we had kids it would be the end of it. She actually enjoys it now because the kids enjoy it so much. All the boys were on the boat before the were a few months old. I think the 240 is the perfect boat and even though I want you to sell it to me I think you would be looking for another one very soon if you did

HBCraig

Reaction score
So, most of you know I just bought my dream boat recently. A Holy Grail Hallett 240 OB.

As I have been sitting here this week, I seriously realized that I don't foresee ANY Lake boating in my future at LEAST until next season, if not longer! Which scares the living shit out of me. LOL...not the baby, but lack of boating! I have never been boatless in my life. I cant function! I need my trips.

My daughter is due in 5 weeks or so. Momma needs me around because if baby is early, Im not gonna be "that guy!".

My wife is not a river rat in any sense. She never went to lake in her life or even a boat until she met me. We have been married 5 years, she loves going, but she can take it or leave it. I can assure you the baby will not be in 2 months on the boat like I see some folks doing (Which is awesome, but my wife is no way having that action going on!). I dont even think she will leave Baby alone with ANYONE once here. She truly is a miracle baby after a long road.

So...felllas, I am thinking of selling the boat. Never thought I would say that. No this is not a 2FF lounge thread, (Love ya Brotha! :D )

Give me advice, Do I keep boat in storage for a few years (we don't have a Havasu House yet) and hold on because its unreplaceable? I don't need the cash, but its a lot of coin to sit and collect dust and cobwebs. (NO comments that you'll be happy to go blow the cobwebs out! ) 😅

Do I find an Ocean Cruiser and be slipped closer to home? (Momma wants that plan)

I have never NOT gone to the lake or river. Yes, I can go with buddies etc, but its never been as fun as when my families with me. I'm an old man and one night of partying and I am done for 2 weeks!

What say ye! My RDP Friends.......Pic for Memories a few weeks ago.....

View attachment 1029190
Chris

My daughter had an August birthday. We boated the full season the following year. Obviously you won't be floating in the channel all day but just be smart with the heat and you'll be fine.

dribble

Reaction score
F8E6D545-68A7-4960-8E23-78C3A9E67962.png

My granddaughter had an April Birthday. We had to wait until August get her out in the boat at four months old. Here she is a few years later tubing with her big brother.

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Keep the boat and wait until the timing is right to take the family out once again. Yeah it maybe a year or more before your wife comes to terms with boating again but right now her focus is on her child. She could give two shits about boating now or in the near future but that time will pass.

oldschool

Reaction score
Not sure when your daughter is ready to come into this world but when she does, you wont feel like boating-for awhile. Your wife will need your help and support. A new born changes everything HOWEVER with that said, once you guys get used to your "new family" and develop your routine, then start living your lives the way you want to, and if boating is part of that, so be it.
Naturally, taking a new born in a 18 foot flatty is not the best way to go, your Hallett is larger, solid, lots of room and can accommodate the additional crew member and accessories (formula, diapers, food, lord know what else that little one needs)
You may need to curtail your boating habits for awhile, no speed runs, boozing is out of the question, watch the chop and careful of loud music, keep the bimini up, No SUN ALLOWED, make sure YOU help your wife, once she's happy, your happy and the baby will be happy.
You like to camp? go camping, Like road trips? go drive, like boating? go boating- Raise your daughter to your lifestyle (within reason) and enjoy your new family.
One last note-Keep your boat, if you and your wife decide a different boat (pontoon, deck or? ) is needed or wanted down the road then so be it but for now, enjoy your new chapter in life.
Kids love flats!
08BDDDB0-A1D6-4CCA-8AC8-DF038F901057.jpeg

Runs2rch

Reaction score

oldschool

Reaction score
First off congratulations! A 240 is a great family boat, but only you know what works for you and your family best. If I lived that close to big blue, I’d find a way to enjoy it.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
List it for 25k more than you paid for it, let fate play out but stat firm on the price. Mama will be all about the boat next year and when she sees the joy In the little ones face it’ll happen where she’s more river rat than you are.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Lol. Oh hell no, those who have met her can assure you that She is way out of my league and I still dont know what my big ass did to get so lucky[emoji23]
Lol.....ok....sell the boat....buy a new nut sack. 😂😂😂 Come on maaaan, you've already been married a few years, your old lady should be ridin' with you, whatever you do. Crack that whip son....or go buy some Crocs. 😂😂😂

kurtis500

Reaction score
First... I almost went skiing the weekend my first son was born. I was about to leave the fire station in the morning after a shift and my senior firefighter told me I was an idiot and to stay home in case she had the baby early..so I stayed home...14 hours later I was a new dad.. Dont screw that one up

I think you're jumping the gun on what to do.. No need to sell and the dreary outlook on boating isn't realistic. You can take the kids in a vest anytime and we did that to all 3. On Parker every year and at the Phx lakes non-stop. But NEVER took them as a newborn. Just put the boat up until next season if you have to.

My son wasn't a year old and his first boat ride was in our Hondo flat at the 99 V-drive regatta doing the poker run! It can be done. I wouldnt suggest doing that though.

Once the baby is here you'll be fine staying home until next year. Its not a big deal and you will be re-focused on raising a kid...or you better be

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Boated with my son & wife, when my so was an infant, up until he was about 6 years old. During those years, had a couple of different jet boats & later a Carrera 20.5 Elite. I had to learn to be a lot more patient. Sold the Carrera because we went the sports route. Every weekend was either soccer, baseball, basketball, flag football & later full contact football & I was often coaching. Was boat less for about 10 years. Hell…..I‘m currently boat less, don’t know what I want, not willing to pay COVID prices.
Take your time, think it through, don’t need to make any rash decisions.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Just had our kid late feb. Took him out couple trips already. You're crazy selling the boat. Don't be that guy....

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
So how much is your Holy Grail 240 for sale?

If you keep it, just put it in Long Term Winter Storage so when your ready to use it again your not going to have any issues. GLWTS 😬

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
All of my kids were out in the boats from infants to toddlers etc..

if you boat in October and the warm weekends in the winter you will be fine.

This right here. Keep her and the kid away from the heat/humidity/crowds and you'll be fine. Maybe find a place to rent for a week in Havasu Springs? Nice dock for your boat, nice food at the restaurant, end of October when everyone attention is now turned to glamis, and the weather is perfect at the river...

Try to avoid camping in a dome tent at Crazy Horse in August, and she will probably be more interested. Just sayin! ;)

gqchris

Reaction score

gqchris

Reaction score
What do you think a 525 swap would run. That’s really my dream boat. A 240 with a 525.
Its all there, Dual External steering etc. Easy swap, although I dont think you need it once you run the boat, it s a comfort cruiser with some fun factor included.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Lol.....ok....sell the boat....buy a new nut sack. 😂😂😂 Come on maaaan, you've already been married a few years, your old lady should be ridin' with you, whatever you do. Crack that whip son....or go buy some Crocs. 😂😂😂
How long has your boat been locked away now?😆🤣🤣
Your wife should employ your courageous ideas on you😁😁

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Keep the boat for now. Kids/river/lake are easy until sports and other activities start up at 5+.

get them out there early. Once serious sports/dance team start you are screwed and lake deal is going to disappear but you will love it.

gqchris

Reaction score
I'm the rooster of my house, have no doubt about it.
1627147258232.png
🐓

My chick doesn't work, doesn't drive, cleans the house, RV, laundry and makes a damn good dinner! All this while smoking hot.

Nuts are on check, I have always been heavy on the 'taters side down there!

:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I would hold the boat for 1 season just to see how it all goes.

You are making a knee jerk reaction right now.

Kids do great at the lake/river March-May, and Sept-Nov.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm one and done sir. Snip appointment is scheduled week after due date! :D
Cockadoodle-do.😁
My wife was not a river girl either, she was a surfer chick. But she did learn to enjoy it. She was even nearly 8mo pregnant rockin' her thong. Our daughter is an Aug baby, we had her in a boat by Sept. Big key is not planning to boat in 115° so mama can stay comfortable and not be worried about baby overheating. The late Summer/early Fall conditions lend themselves favorably for cozy conditions. Once a comfort level is established then planning other trips become easier.
So yeah, I'm saying keep your boat.😉😊