WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Towing Shocks - Ca Rough Roads

Xring01

Reaction score
Alright... I have a 2021 Chevy 1500 4x4, and recently towed a 3500lb boat, 660 miles North, up I-5, for a vacation, and then 660 miles south back home.

Overall I am very very impressed with the towing capabilities of my truck...
The North bound lanes there isnt much negative I can say....
The South bound lanes... holy shit, did we find some rough patchs and got to bouncing around pretty good.

Especially on the 210 East/57S areas. It was bouncing us around to much in my opinion. If the roads where fixed, then it would be a problem. But the condition of the roads is concerning.

Therefore I am considering upgrading the rear shocks in my truck. I would love to hear yall's opinion.

BTW.... with out towing a boat, I consider my truck one of the smoothest riding vehicles I have ever owned.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Fox 2.0
They’re about $150/each.

Really settled the rear of our suburban down. Especially towing, which I got to test pulling my in-law’s broken-down Nissan Murano from Abilene to Dallas…was pretty close to the tow rating.

If you go that route, consider matching coilovers for the front, they run about $950/pair and can provide lift to level if needed (they’re height adjustable)

Notice how I didn’t go straight to 2.5” or 3” Kings [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Im going to throw in a vote for bilstein 5100's

If Im going to spend on Fox2.0's I'll go to bilstein 6112's

Xring01

Reaction score
After a bit of research. I just ordered the Fox 2.0s for the rear end of my truck.
Thanks for everyones opinion.

I will update this thread, once I get them installed, and give you guys my opinion of them.

Backlash

Reaction score
Fox 2.0
They’re about $150/each.

Really settled the rear of our suburban down. Especially towing, which I got to test pulling my in-law’s broken-down Nissan Murano from Abilene to Dallas…was pretty close to the tow rating.

If you go that route, consider matching coilovers for the front, they run about $950/pair and can provide lift to level if needed (they’re height adjustable)

Notice how I didn’t go straight to 2.5” or 3” Kings [emoji4]

What? You didn't want him going straight to "Baller" status? 😁

Go big or go home! I'll be ordering a new pair of King bypasses for the rear of my project in the next few months. 👍

pronstar

Reaction score
What? You didn't want him going straight to "Baller" status? [emoji16]

Go big or go home! I'll be ordering a new pair of King bypasses for the rear of my project in the next few months. [emoji106]

I was working up to it but he bought the Foxes too quickly [emoji1787]

Backlash

Reaction score
Those blue babies are expensive, but damn they are SOOOOO worth it! I'm funneling funds to other places right now, but will get this thing finished up and back on the ground one of these days. 👍

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The foxes will definitely be better than the stockers.

For towing duty I prefer digressive valving to linear or progressive.

Xring01

Reaction score
743230B4-1E15-4BA2-A352-7D0D5BBCE925.jpeg

Just installed them.
Very impressed on the quick test ride.
True test happens next weekend, when I tow my boat up to big bear.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
After a bit of research. I just ordered the Fox 2.0s for the rear end of my truck.
Thanks for everyones opinion.

I will update this thread, once I get them installed, and give you guys my opinion of them.
How hard is it to install? I need to do this for the wife’s suburban but I’m scared

pronstar

Reaction score
How hard is it to install? I need to do this for the wife’s suburban but I’m scared

I put these exact shocks in the rear of our 2018 suburban, took me about 30 mins.

Didn’t need a Jack, didn’t remove a wheel. Just crawled right under there.

The only challenge is getting a wrench on the upper passenger-side bolt. Might have been easier if I did jack it up and remove a wheel.

Xring01

Reaction score
I just did the rear shocks.
LIke he said… maybe a half hour. You will spend more time gathering the tools, and crawling under the truck, but thats included in the half hour estimate.

Silverados, you need a 21mm ratchet, 21mm wrench, pri-bar/screwdriver, small jack and dikes to cut the band off the shock.
Its about that simple.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Ok I think I’m going to order some up and the helper bags LOF mentioned

Xring01

Reaction score
Ok I think I’m going to order some up and the helper bags LOF mentioned

For me…. the hardest part is getting the shock in the lower shock mount bracket. Its a very snugg fit. So I used a small jack, under the lower shock mount, and jacked it into place. Once I got it very close, I used a screwdriver to pry the lower shock mount into place, then stabbed the bolt thru the mount/shock. Honestly that was the most difficult part, but its not difficult at all.

Its about the same amount of work as changing you own oil.

At least that how it was on my truck.

BTW, I didnt even jack the truck up at all. That could have made the installation a bit easier…