WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Painting millwork...

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Just finished phase 1 of the house renovation and my wife wants tall wood base painted white. It's Pandora's box as our home has golden oak stained oak and hemlock trim throughout but after seeing a test piece set next to the new carpet and painted rooms she is spot on. The painter foreman on my project recommended using Sherwin Williams Classic Pro semi gloss with a dab of water and rolling it on quickly.
I'm a carpenter and know I can paint, just haven't done much finish work like this other than finishes on oak doors and sidelights .

Any tricks, tips would be appreciated. I cant find shit for videos on this...do I sand the shop prime before laying this down....it's wood finger jointed base from Lowes...prime it again and sand before using the SW's paint... or just go for it?

NicPaus

Reaction score
If doing the whole house spraying is the fastest before installing. No roller marks or brush strokes. No cutting it in with a brush. Just touch up the nail holes. Have installed thousand of feet this way.

endobear

Reaction score
Fill nail holes. I like Crawfotds.
Sand. Remove dust. Prime.
Sand again.
If your spraying, the SW Pro Classic is great.
If your doing it all by hand I prefer the SW Emerald UTE line.
I also prefer a satin finish over semi gloss.
We don't do much semi gloss anymore.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Just finished phase 1 of the house renovation and my wife wants tall wood base painted white. It's Pandora's box as our home has golden oak stained oak and hemlock trim throughout but after seeing a test piece set next to the new carpet and painted rooms she is spot on. The painter foreman on my project recommended using Sherwin Williams Classic Pro semi gloss with a dab of water and rolling it on quickly.
I'm a carpenter and know I can paint, just haven't done much finish work like this other than finishes on oak doors and sidelights .

Any tricks, tips would be appreciated. I cant find shit for videos on this...do I sand the shop prime before laying this down....it's wood finger jointed base from Lowes...prime it again and sand before using the SW's paint... or just go for it?

Whatever you do, don’t use the sherman williams from lowes, it is shit paint and you will be doing several coats. Id imagine the paint from the sw store is better. Always been a dun edwards fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cray Paper

Reaction score
My painter buddy said the same thing, I got the paint from a Sherwin Williams store. It laid down OK, for wall base. My wife really likes the way it turned out but I don't think it looks like what I wanted. That's OK, it just needs to hold up to vacuum cleaner collisions, but if I was painting window trim or cabinets I would be sanding it down and spraying it and or trying something else.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
BTW, this was new trim, painted before installing. Haven't filled nail holes, caulked or touched up yet.

DLC

Reaction score
I would spray it all out then install then light touch up after caulking

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I heard that a HPLV sprayer was the way to go for this