WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The participation award generation has come of age

DWC

Reaction score
Not gonna lie it’s kinda funny to see it play out. There’s so much more stress in sports now ;) :cool: Watch NBC this morning and it really was the only thing they talked about which was awesomely ironic.
Too bad, they should be focusing on stories like the swimmer from Alaska..
2FF1E9FD-192B-4D28-801B-62883D61D5A0.jpeg
C3A9E215-27FB-49D7-9242-E0C2A38A3B4D.jpeg
A5F49BF5-0736-4CC8-B7B5-3E886C6AEF29.jpeg

Socalx09

Reaction score
I will say I think the media on Simone biles has been bad. They analyzed her every moment even when she’s waiting her turn. She seems to be a great teammate. The pressure they have put on her when she has something like 27 gold metals in her sport. (Not 100% on exact count) She’s 24, let her have some fun in most likely her last Olympics. She’s in every commercial and probably over exposed at this point. But, I imagine the constant camera on her and “she can only beat herself” by the media has got to her. We were joking the cameras were going to follow her to the bathroom. I don’t know, she was one of the few I felt for. She is extremely critical of herself, so I thought they took it too far. I normally say it comes with the territory of sports and being that great, but this felt different then other athletes complaining.

The Australian coach was hilarious to watch!

edit-just heard a perspective from a past gymnastic athlete on tv- If you are mentally not ok doing gymnastics- I guess the severity of the injury could be traumatic which makes sense if you’re doing all those flips and spinning in mid air compared to not showing up for game seven of the basketball game and just missing shots. Just a different point of view

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
In todays world everyone with internet chowing down a bag of chips is an expert critic. They are critical of those celebrating a victory as well as those suffering a loss. It's a sad thing all around and frankly has soured me from watching most all sports.

DWC

Reaction score
I will say I think the media on Simone biles has been bad. They analyzed her every moment even when she’s waiting her turn. She seems to be a great teammate. The pressure they have put on her when she has something like 27 gold metals in her sport. (Not 100% on exact count) She’s 24, let her have some fun in most likely her last Olympics. She’s in every commercial and probably over exposed at this point. But, I imagine the constant camera on her and “she can only beat herself” by the media has got to her. We were joking the cameras were going to follow her to the bathroom. I don’t know, she was one of the few I felt for. She is extremely critical of herself, so I thought they took it too far. I normally say it comes with the territory of sports and being that great, but this felt different then other athletes complaining.

The Australian coach was hilarious to watch!
Wouldn’t disagree with Biles coverage at all. Jackass Melvin was asking the crew if her pulling out was a watershed moment. Would the intense coverage slow down to stop the stress. They immediately cut to Hoda asking Biles if she was OK in front of the team. 10mins later cut to Hoda having a “private chat” with her. ( IE yelling from the stands.). It’s not the fans putting additional stress. I hoped she did well and tuned in to check it out.

Not to mention the countless interviews
E94EB90E-4E7A-4884-B8AD-F8A84BE46829.jpeg

Socalx09

Reaction score
Wouldn’t disagree with Biles coverage at all. Jackass Melvin was asking the crew if her pulling out was a watershed moment. Would the intense coverage slow down to stop the stress. They immediately cut to Hoda asking Biles if she was OK in front of the team. 10mins later cut to Hoda having a “private chat” with her. ( IE yelling from the stands.). It’s not the fans putting additional stress. I hoped she did well and tuned in to check it out.

Not to mention the countless interviews
View attachment 1030313
That is insane. I hope they just leave her alone and let her enjoy her moment. It feels different then the tennis player who complained about the press conferences after the game. And, other athletes who complain about small things. This just felt like unbearable pressure put on by the media. They definitely should have done more about the 17 year old winning that was from Alaska like you mentioned instead of putting another athlete “down.” If I were her coach or friend, it’d take away her phone and tv for a few days. They are already crushing her saying “Lebron James wouldn’t just walk away in the second half of the game.”

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
They have been incessantly calling her the GOAT for the past 5 years, that is an insane amount of pressure, I don't care who you are.

Also, as someone with a closet full of participation trophies, I've always felt like this was more of a parenting issue than anything. Parents couldn't come to terms with the fact that little Johnny wasn't Michael Jordan reincarnate.

Bear Down

Reaction score
I have the pressure knowing of having to sell enough oranges and apples to make enough money in my sales position to support a single income family of 5, California home ownership and vehicles.... thats real pressure Osaka! LMAO [emoji1787]!

RodnJen

Reaction score
In todays world everyone with internet chowing down a bag of chips is an expert critic. They are critical of those celebrating a victory as well as those suffering a loss. It's a sad thing all around and frankly has soured me from watching most all sports.

I still like sports. I just do my best to ignore the keyboard warriors and appreciate the accomplishments for what they are.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I still like sports. I just do my best to ignore the keyboard warriors and appreciate the accomplishments for what they are.
Most "pro" sports I'm not a huge fan of. The Olympics to me is something different. The best athletes worldwide, meeting up. Watching the events and appreciating the talent can still be done without reading or listening to someone's objective writings or political views.
If the athlete made it there, they are damn good at their sport, no question about it.

Taboma

Reaction score
That is insane. I hope they just leave her alone and let her enjoy her moment. It feels different then the tennis player who complained about the press conferences after the game. And, other athletes who complain about small things. This just felt like unbearable pressure put on by the media. They definitely should have done more about the 17 year old winning that was from Alaska like you mentioned instead of putting another athlete “down.” If I were her coach or friend, it’d take away her phone and tv for a few days. They are already crushing her saying “Lebron James wouldn’t just walk away in the second half of the game.”

This young lady has her entire life displayed amazing courage, endurance, ability and a level of mental stamina of essentially super human proportions.
I only hope she now has the ability to live a long life with this career defining decision. With most, it would eat at you like a cancer, this is not how somebody with the character and dedication she's displayed her entire life should go out.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This young lady has her entire life displayed amazing courage, endurance, ability and a level of mental stamina of essentially super human proportions.
I only hope she now has the ability to live a long life with this career defining decision. With most, it would eat at you like a cancer, this is not how somebody with the character and dedication she's displayed her entire life should go out.
In swimming, I saw two types of competitors at the higher, normalish, levels (wasn't good enough to see NCAA, but wife did ). There were those that were self driven and focused by their own doing, and those that were driven by family and coaches.

Being driven by outside forces may make a diamond, but may take a toll on one's life.

This girl is really fantastic at gymnastics. She has accomplished more than anyone could really dream...and still has her whole life ahead of her. I hope she gets to go out and be a human now...it has to be hard being a superhuman and not be a kid.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here.. did she do some drugs or something she shouldn't have and was gonna get caught for it?

HBCraig

Reaction score

Socalx09

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here.. did she do some drugs or something she shouldn't have and was gonna get caught for it?
Im going to go with no just on the fact that she hasn’t withdrawn from individual competition yet. She’s seeing if she bounces back in a few days. Im guessing if it was in that direction, she would have pulled out completely. Seems like she has a good head on her shoulders. Hoping if she does clear her head and can perform, the media backs off since they still haven’t.

grumpy88

Reaction score
How about a Olympic athlete should not make enough money to walk out on a olympic competition . It was disrespectful to every athlete that gave all they had to make the team or just miss making the team . The Olympics have run there course its time to stop spending money on them .

Taboma

Reaction score
Im going to go with no just on the fact that she hasn’t withdrawn from individual competition yet. She’s seeing if she bounces back in a few days. Im guessing if it was in that direction, she would have pulled out completely. Seems like she has a good head on her shoulders. Hoping if she does clear her head and can perform, the media backs off since they still haven’t.

Haven't been following, so I took it she'd walk away from the games, the end. Apparently not the case. Then I hope she's able to continue 👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Lydecky just won the 1,500 meter with another American Sullivan in picking up the Silver. 15+mins of swimming. Unbelievable endurance.
Distance swimming has always impressed me. That's way too much time in my own head! 200m and under...by the time you think you're going to die, it's over ;)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I was told she's had mental health issues before this. A couple years or so ago.

Apparently she knows herself and her limits better than anyone else.

Hard to believe isn't it?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
How about a Olympic athlete should not make enough money to walk out on a olympic competition . It was disrespectful to every athlete that gave all they had to make the team or just miss making the team . The Olympics have run there course its time to stop spending money on them .

I don't think we have any God given mandate to perform to the point of physical injury. She stopped before she hurt herself. Her underperforming in the rest of the team competition would have hurt the Americans. As it was the Americans took home silver and nearly beat the Russians (all of whole should be at home and not in Tokyo) without her.

For those reasons Biles and her coaches decided to withdraw her from competition and to preserve her ability to compete in the individual and all around competitions later in the games.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I don't think we have any God given mandate to perform to the point of physical injury. She stopped before she hurt herself. Her underperforming in the rest of the team competition would have hurt the Americans. As it was the Americans took home silver and nearly beat the Russians (all of whole should be at home and not in Tokyo) without her.

For those reasons Biles and her coaches decided to withdraw her from competition and to preserve her ability to compete in the individual and all around competitions later in the games.
Shhhh they aren’t the Russians, it’s the ROC. Wink wink. That is the true mockery of the Olympics

grumpy88

Reaction score

So she backs out of the " team" event but will participate in a individual event ? Thats selfish .

just_floatin

Reaction score
The good is Biles will be the new face of mental health awareness post Olympics. The bad is Biles will go down in infamy as the “goat” that did not deliver in the team competition that likely cost the USA the gold medal.
47DB6CCD-39FF-492A-B888-456AC5537854.jpeg

6DDCC331-2D9D-4537-A258-9F544B682DB9.png

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
She pulled out of the individual all-around final to focus on mental health. The media and pressure has been brutal, but that’s what you get at the top. I mean she has worn goat heads on her sandals and leotards….

Can you imagine MJ bailing out of a finals because he had too much pressure?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
So she backs out of the " team" event but will participate in a individual event ? Thats selfish .

How so? A poor performance on her part would have knocked the Americans off the podium.

Since over-all medal count is a thing, her being able to compete later is more beneficial to the entire Olympic team and not the gymnastics squad.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Dont get why she didn't have a coach there to build her back up. Her confidence was shaken. Isn't that a coaches job? The media covering it is disgusting.

Reactions: DWC

HBCraig

Reaction score
Dont get why she didn't have a coach there to build her back up. Her confidence was shaken. Isn't that a coaches job? The media covering it is disgusting.
No, it's her job to compete regardless. She has a duty to her country and her teammates. She has the "mental strength" to wear a GOAT shirt then quits. No way around it, she is a full blown quitter. She left her team hanging.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
No, it's her job to compete regardless. She has a duty to her country and her teammates. She has the "mental strength" to wear a GOAT shirt then quits. No way around it, she is a full blown quitter. She left her team hanging.
A little harsh, but I kind of agree with you. If you put yourself through the motions day after day, year after year...why have it stop then, at the pinnacle? I thought this was based on physical issues, not mental breakdown. If you're on a team, you compete to the best of your ability until the coach pulls you. At least, that's the way it used to be. The whole "No I in team".

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My wife was telling me a story that the Olympic judges said outright somewhere (I was 3/4 asleep when she told me) that they refused to Judge Biles on the same scale as the other athletes. They were afraid that if they gave her such high marks it would cause other athletes to over-extend themselves and lead to injury. Anybody hear anything about this too?

Socalx09

Reaction score
Yes I heard that as well. She was making up her own moves that no one else was able to do.

My wife was telling me a story that the Olympic judges said outright somewhere (I was 3/4 asleep when she told me) that they refused to Judge Biles on the same scale as the other athletes. They were afraid that if they gave her such high marks it would cause other athletes to over-extend themselves and lead to injury. Anybody hear anything about this too?

443611E8-4C5F-485A-AAB9-D3BBA74DE606.png

Socalx09

Reaction score
A little harsh, but I kind of agree with you. If you put yourself through the motions day after day, year after year...why have it stop then, at the pinnacle? I thought this was based on physical issues, not mental breakdown. If you're on a team, you compete to the best of your ability until the coach pulls you. At least, that's the way it used to be. The whole "No I in team".
Now my favorite athlete was Kobe. He played through it all whether you hated him or not. He didn’t come up with excuses.

But, I think the risk of significant injury comes to play here. When she did the vault and got lost in the air, if she didn’t find herself before coming down, it could have been bad. After that, she said, she didn’t trust herself. I didn’t understand this angle until another former gymnast was interviewed and said if you are not right in your head and get lost in the air, you are risking significant neck and back injuries. They even brought up her sexual assault case against the Team USA doctor asking if it’s triggering past memories. The media did not stop the pressure or have a line not to cross in my opinion.

Another girl that was on the back up list was able to take her place and they got silver. Biles was hurting her teammates scores by falling. Another girl got to shine. Same with the all around individual event, another girl gets her opportunity to shine since Biles pulled out.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Boy times have changed....

If I backed out an event / football game, race, any kind competition at the height of its relevance there was a word assigned to me that wasn't remotely positive , friendly or considerate of my feelings.

Id be known as and called - a quitter.

JDKRXW

Reaction score

And this is exactly why there should be no (zero) 'judged' sports at the Olympics.
Yet.... more and more are being added all the time - surfing, skateboarding and on and on.

Judged sports should stick to the X games.

And the media: fuck them all..... from the companies that pay billions to the IOC so they can cover these games right down to the reporters, many of whom think they are as important as the athletes themselves.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
She pulled out of the individual all-around final to focus on mental health. The media and pressure has been brutal, but that’s what you get at the top. I mean she has worn goat heads on her sandals and leotards….

Can you imagine MJ bailing out of a finals because he had too much pressure?
I have two presentations at work today. Thought about sending a text and saying I’m working on me today. Turns out i need a paycheck and healthcare.

DWC

Reaction score
Now my favorite athlete was Kobe. He played through it all whether you hated him or not. He didn’t come up with excuses.

But, I think the risk of significant injury comes to play here. When she did the vault and got lost in the air, if she didn’t find herself before coming down, it could have been bad. After that, she said, she didn’t trust herself. I didn’t understand this angle until another former gymnast was interviewed and said if you are not right in your head and get lost in the air, you are risking significant neck and back injuries. They even brought up her sexual assault case against the Team USA doctor asking if it’s triggering past memories. The media did not stop the pressure or have a line not to cross in my opinion.

Another girl that was on the back up list was able to take her place and they got silver. Biles was hurting her teammates scores by falling. Another girl got to shine. Same with the all around individual event, another girl gets her opportunity to shine since Biles pulled out.
The only thing I’d say is since she pulled out during the event all 3 scores counted. The team she left hanging had to be perfect. Wasn’t fair to anyone.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Already finished one…. Killed it. They told me don’t worry about getting ready for this afternoon. ;)

I was expecting an email with deck attached and a address to be at this afternoon since you were taking care of yoreself.

Reactions: DWC

2Driver

Reaction score
I can see the news report:

People of color are more susceptible to mental health and PTSD, especially women of color mainly due to climate change. The situation is made worse as there aren’t enough emotional support animals available due to the Delta variant, so wear a mask.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
What do these things have in common? Hmmmmmmmm..........😏

wallnutz

Reaction score
I heard that and thought what a bunch of BS.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
And this is exactly why there should be no (zero) 'judged' sports at the Olympics.
Yet.... more and more are being added all the time - surfing, skateboarding and on and on.

Judged sports should stick to the X games.

And the media: fuck them all..... from the companies that pay billions to the IOC so they can cover these games right down to the reporters, many of whom think they are as important as the athletes themselves.
I have had this argument with people before when I say Cheerleading is not a sport but an art (btw, my 2 oldest daughters do competitive cheer so, this is a very un-popular opinion). SPORTS have OBJECTIVE scoring. ART has SUBJECTIVE scoring. Now obviously there is always a level of subjectivity to all sports with officiating being done in real time by humans, BUT.... the scoring has a clear and concise means and method to gain scoring (points, runs, goals, ect.). Both can require athletes to perform the tasks and require great skill, but the method of scoring is the large difference.

2Driver

Reaction score
If you were worth 6-10 million just how much relentless BS could you take from the media, social media, sponsors and your coach before you say, Ive got better things to do with my life - this shit has gotten out of perspective.

Metal illness seems like a polite way to say, take your double-triple and stick the landing up your ass. :) Probably should have hung in there, then bailed

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I heard that and thought what a bunch of BS.
So much for an "even playing field" eh?
That's like telling a baseball team that employ(& pay for) better players they have to score twice for every one your opponent scores.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
She’s a bad ass plain and simple.
She can lay up if she wants to, make par...and then pick her spots.
She’s been at the top for a while, she knows her sport and herself.
if she says she needs to do this then I believe her.