WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2019 Silverado. Bad Trans

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Just to get it out of the way right off the bat. I had fords for years. Last one 2017 F350 Dually, Computer kept screwing up. This time went with a 1500 Chevy.

Anyway. Trans started slipping or hard shifting between 1st and 2nd. In June they drove and said yes there is a problem, flushed it and said drive it for a few hundred miles and see if it still does it. Did that and it still shifted hard. Took it back.

They said they had to pull the trans and see what is going on. Short story is 25 different parts are bad in it. Won't put a new one in because gm says it is cheaper to fix. Now 3 weeks later they still don't have all the parts to fix it. Said they have 15 of the parts.

Yes they gave me a new equinox as a loaner and that is fine, but the reason I have a truck is I need a truck. Anyone else have a problem with the 1500 transmission?

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
How many miles? I have 32k miles on a 4x4 with no issues at all.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
6 speed or 8 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ricks raft

Reaction score
There are service bulletins from GM that keep getting updated every year since 2016 for both six speed and 8-speed transmissions. Not so much for failing but hard shifting chattering slipping etc. Includes pickups, SUVs, Express vans, anything using the six or eight speed Auto. A judge just threw out a class action lawsuit against GM. They've known about the problem for over 4 years but the bulletin now covers up to 2020 models.
Originally they were replacing transmissions then they went to full fluid changes to amsoil or the new mobile, it helps for a few hundred or a thousand or two miles and then does the same thing. My 2017 Express has horrible drivability feels like a serious miss and hesitation

Baja 252

Reaction score
I bought a new 2010 Sierra Denali, 6 speed that now has 135,000 miles on it and no issues at all. I tow regularly a 6,000# to 7,000# trailer. When it was new, it drove me crazy how it shifted so soon after you take off and shifted so many times during a normal drive. After researching it, at 1000 miles I had the truck and transmission computer tuned by Black bear Performance. Besides the engine changes I think the transmission has higher shift points and more line pressure. I belive that's why my transmission today still shifts and performs like new.
I agree with what was said above, call GM costomer service and complain more, squeaky wheel.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
We lease a fleet of about 300 Chevys and Fords almost all 3/4 ton diesels. About 100 of these are 2019-2021 Chevys. We’ve had 4 or 5 that i know of with tranny issues and 2 of those that got new or rebuilt trannies under warranty had to go back to get some kind of programming or software update that the dealer forgot to do.

white tortilla

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Silverado with the 8 speed. It’s shifted hard just like your description since about 35k. I didn’t ever have time to fix it and I have 170k on it now, still running and never got way worse. I just lived with it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Swapped out 2 8 speeds in the past few months. Both were 75k plus though. Still low to be replacing I feel. Both went to crap in a hurry, lost forward clutches. Tranny guy said there were two converters used, good one and self destructive one. He mentioned the lockup portion of the converter degrading, and finding it's way through the rest of the system.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I had a 1998 Nissan Maxima, that after 17,000 miles the trans would slip going into 3rd gear. I took it to Nissan for service at 8:00, at 9:30 they called and said your vehicle is ready. I asked if it was a programming issue, they said no, we just put a new trans in it - it’s cheaper and faster than pulling it apart and fixing. Maybe GM should take some notes.

Last edited:

h2o225

Reaction score
A friend just traded his 2019 1500 off. It had 75k miles and trans went to hell along with other electrinics.

pronstar

Reaction score
I had a 1998 Nissan Maxima, that after 17,000 would slip going into 3rd gear. I took it to Nissan for service at 8:00, at 9:30 they called and said your vehicle is ready. I asked if it was a programming issue, they said no, we just put a new trans in it - it’s cheaper and faster than pulling it apart and fixing. Maybe GM should take some notes.

Problem is, GM sells more trucks in a month that Nissan sells Maximas in a year.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
The 8 speed had all the problems. I have a 2018 Sierra with the 6 speed and it’s been perfect with now 92k on the clock I wanted the 8 speed but all the reading I did ahead of time I said screw it im not going to risk it.

My Escalade tranny went out at 130k which I thought was early. If I had one go out at 32k I’d need therapy I’d be so pissed. Good luck.

hallett21

Reaction score
I had a 2016 1500 5.3 with a 6 speed. Around 60k it started slipping. I replaced it with a 3500 Ram. I miss the chevy though it was a great truck

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Yeah I think this one will be going away before warranty is out. Probably go back to ford.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Problem is, GM sells more trucks in a month that Nissan sells Maximas in a year.

That is true, but how much does GM lose by paying for rental vehicles for the time the vehicle is down for repairs or waiting for parts? They'd also have the trucks out of the service department so they could get to the ones waiting.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
These newer transmissions keep the fluid super hot for efficiency. You need to flush the fluid more regularly. There's a gm guy on tik tok that is a gm trans wiz and always has 2015+ trucks / subs with toasted trans between 70k to.105k miles.

My wifes 2018 denai 6.2 10 speed has no dip stick

Reactions: D19

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
My nephew just completed the lemon law process on his 2019 1500 Silverado for the same thing. Took several months but he made out very well on the deal.

The truck went back to the dealer in OC several times for the trans and the last visit the truck sat for over 2 months as they could not get parts. GM refused a new trans. Cost GM a lot more in the end than if they had just replaced it.

Sadly it was his first Chevy and his last. I have had 7 Silverado's and a Tahoe all with no major issues. Guess I've gotten lucky.

PM me if you would like me to get the contact for his lemon law attorney.

hallett3

Reaction score
2015 Silverado no trans issue change oil once a year. Buddy said those transmissions, oil has to be clean to operate long life. Same with engines oil change when hits 50 percent. I had AFM issues fouling plugs. Got me a range tech knowledge and no prob since. Had two other problems: fuel pump went out which there is a service bulletin and bad engine mounts which causes engine vibration under drive and reverse mode, also Service bulletin. All under warranty which I was lucky. There is a a lot of service bulletins that should be recalls but you know how that goes. I swear I have a 2001 Silverado 4.8 short bed, drive the shit out of it with one transmission at 190 thousand miles The rest of the truck has had zero issues with 240 thousand miles and still putting around. These new trucks can be a pain in the ass. Some get lucky with no issues.

pronstar

Reaction score
These newer transmissions keep the fluid super hot for efficiency. You need to flush the fluid more regularly. There's a gm guy on tik tok that is a gm trans wiz and always has 2015+ trucks / subs with toasted trans between 70k to.105k miles.

My wifes 2018 denai 6.2 10 speed has no dip stick

Our Silverado and Sub, both 6-speeds, are pretty rock solid at 190 degrees for tranny temps.

Even when towing I’ve never gone over 205.

This seems relatively cool to me?

Either way, I always change trans fluid according to the severe service reco.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Our Silverado and Sub, both 6-speeds, are pretty rock solid at 190 degrees for tranny temps.

Even when towing I’ve never gone over 205.

This seems relatively cool to me?

Either way, I always change trans fluid according to the severe service reco.

Traditionally speaking, those temps are warm but not destructive per se.

I’m about to figure out how to flush the 10 speed trans in my Ford here pretty soon. Approaching 50k miles

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Damn, this bugs me - I'm thinking of getting rid of my 2011 Dmax with 280,000 miles on it, never had any trans or other issues after I deleted it, but I'm over the rough ride and having to climb into it and thinking about moving to a GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 when the 2022's come out with the revised interiors. But now hearing of these trans issues makes me a little apprehensive now.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Any time I take my truck for any work I make sure when I schedule it they have a truck ready for me. Even with me having another truck I still have them give me another one. I tell them I have a boat so I need a truck they always make it happen.
The 19s came with the 8speed. My brother had issues with transmission, best thing to do is take the tech and manager with you and show them. Get another truck that’s like it and compare. Then they will change it. That’s what it toke for my brother.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Which body style? I have the "LD" old style 2019 Silverado. 25,000 miles, no issues.

09 Image10001edit.jpg

pronstar

Reaction score
Damn, this bugs me - I'm thinking of getting rid of my 2011 Dmax with 280,000 miles on it, never had any trans or other issues after I deleted it, but I'm over the rough ride and having to climb into it and thinking about moving to a GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 when the 2022's come out with the revised interiors. But now hearing of these trans issues makes me a little apprehensive now.

If you stick with the 10-speed (or 6) IMHO you’ll be ok.
The common issues are with the 8-speed.

But you could also put some money into the suspension/tires to make your current truck ride amazingly well, for a lot less than a new truck.

I’d love to show you how to spend your money, and piece together a a killer setup for ya [emoji4]

Something like this or maybe a bit more mild…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
2015 Silverado no trans issue change oil once a year. Buddy said those transmissions, oil has to be clean to operate long life. Same with engines oil change when hits 50 percent. I had AFM issues fouling plugs. Got me a range tech knowledge and no prob since. Had two other problems: fuel pump went out which there is a service bulletin and bad engine mounts which causes engine vibration under drive and reverse mode, also Service bulletin. All under warranty which I was lucky. There is a a lot of service bulletins that should be recalls but you know how that goes. I swear I have a 2001 Silverado 4.8 short bed, drive the shit out of it with one transmission at 190 thousand miles The rest of the truck has had zero issues with 240 thousand miles and still putting around. These new trucks can be a pain in the ass. Some get lucky with no issues.
What’s a “ range tech knowledge “ ?

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
Interesting timing. This subject gets me heated.

My 2017 Yukon Denali was shuddering and also harsh shifting within the last year or so (35k miles). Took it to the dealer various times, they diagnosed the issue; from drive shaft, torque converter, tires, alignment etc..... I came to the conclusion the guys that write up the cars (not the techs) are incompetent. After a quick Google and YouTube search, a SIMPLE transmission flush did the trick, doesn't shudder and the harsh shifting is not as bad., knock on wood. Cost $300, money well spent.
Apparently, GM used a type of transmission fluid for high humidity areas, which caused the shuddering. Theres a bulletin, unfortunately, my VIN doesn't qualify.

Calling the 800 - was a waste a time. Document... Document.. Document. Been a loyal GMC customer all my life, after this Im done with them.

Below are the links that solved my problem for now. Hope this helps.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163890-9999.pdf

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/tsb-seems-to-fix-8-speed-automatic-gm-transmission-problems/

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Swapped out 2 8 speeds in the past few months. Both were 75k plus though. Still low to be replacing I feel. Both went to crap in a hurry, lost forward clutches. Tranny guy said there were two converters used, good one and self destructive one. He mentioned the lockup portion of the converter degrading, and finding it's way through the rest of the system.

This was my issue 17 GMC SIERRA, trans went out at 73,000 mi. and had a full service at 45,000 mi. Torque converter grenaded and took out everything.
My 05’ Silverado went 225,000, on the original trans! so I service and am easy on my stuff, kept the truck to 320,000 mi. and 2 more trans rebuilds.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I have a 2019 trail boss and it has 40k on it has had several hard shift and slips that usually happen when I pull in a driveway and back out to park or change direction it slips and slams into gear bee. In to dealer several times always said it’s fine. I’m bout ready to hammer the hell out of it and and hope it blows up so I can get rid of it. Not real happy with the lack of features on this one the 04 LT was loaded compared to this. Wanted the high country should have went that route but liked the factory lift option.

so are the 10 spd trans better I would like to hear some feedback?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The 6 speed trans is a great trans. A little clunky at times, but that has to do with it being "bandless" and also locking the converter in almost every forward gear during light accelleration to squeeze MPG out of the truck.

Alot of the shit we complain about has to do with the EPA and the quest for every mfg to meet the rising mark every year in fuel economy numbers.

hallett3

Reaction score
What’s a “ range tech knowledge “ ?
it eliminates the 8 to 4 cylinders and it doesn’t flash the computer so it’s not detected and you’re warranty won’t be void. I had it on when I had fuel pump issues and it wasn’t detected. I get Better gas mileage now also. Go figure. It also eliminates the shit off engine when stopped at a light on the new Silverado’s. I like it but the only negative is that you have to unplug it if you don’t drive much cause it does drain the battery when truck is off.

Last edited:

wishiknew

Reaction score
I would think twice about this just throw 6 sand bags in the bed and call it a day is this a def truck or not?

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
My 2016 Chevy 1500 4x4 5.3L 6 speed transmission shit the bed at 93,000 miles. The truck wasn't used for towing very much. Just a pile of crap

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Riverryder

Reaction score
@hallett3 where did you see that they can’t detect it? I have seen the opposite. Anythin that’s plugged to the obd they are able to track.