WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Howard 288 - New Build (Grey, Black & Green)

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
We have officially nailed down lines and will be traveling to Howard to finalize the gel colors with Mike next week.

Two grey colors will be metallic and the black and green will have a clear in them.

Should be going into the mold the first week of July and we could not be more excited for the new build, as it has been our dream boat for a while!

I will be going up to Howard as much as possible during the build and will be taking as many photos during the process to post on the thread.

Final Rendering.png

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
What power are you going with? And what trailer, lets be real the trailers can go from a way to get boat to and from or a full blown show piece like the new Adrenaline’s.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Love the green especially the one running down the back

I'll take pics of yours you take pics of mine!!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I definitely like this lime green color.
Assuming from the rendering that the base will be a gray/silver than a charcoal and black, so the lime/neon type green even with a little flake or sparkle to the green would set it off so amazing with the dark of the rest of the boat

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
Yes, originally we were going to go with two lighter grey metallic colors and black and lime/neon green with a clear pearl added to it, but not metallic like the photo below. Then I asked Mike to take the two grey colors and darken them both a shade or two and that's when we knew that the darker we went on the grey colors the better the lime/neon green would pop and look.

The hard part is coming up with the exact shade of green. I would say it is maybe in between a lime and neon green?

Gelcoater what green would you call that based on the rendering?

Black Pin Lighter Greys.png

These are the gel coat colors they use for the bases and we think it might be the Spring Green but that is what I am going to go up to Howard and see in person. It might even be the Electric Lime color. Thoughts?

Green Gel Coat Colors.png

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yes, originally we were going to go with two lighter grey metallic colors and black and lime/neon green with a clear pearl added to it, but not metallic like the photo below. Then I asked Mike to take the two grey colors and darken them both a shade or two and that's when we knew that the darker we went on the grey colors the better the lime/neon green would pop and look.

The hard part is coming up with the exact shade of green. I would say it is maybe in between a lime and neon green?

Gelcoater what green would you call that based on the rendering?

View attachment 1013287

These are the gel coat colors they use for the bases and we think it might be the Spring Green but that is what I am going to go up to Howard and see in person. It might even be the Electric Lime color. Thoughts?

View attachment 1013288
Spring green is definitely not it, lol
Have t seen or used the electric lime, but now you got me curious.😂

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
any updates
We finalized the exact colors with Mike last week and boat should be getting taped, sprayed and going in the mold within the next two weeks.

Base Light Grey will be 50% Metallic Silver/50% Metallic Gun Metal, Base Dark Grey will be 90% Metallic Gunmetal and 10% Black, Black, and Lime Green with Silver Pearl Powder and all with a Black Pin Line.

They are currently working on spraying v6toy4x's 255 and then mine will be up next.

Will definitely post some pictures when it comes out of the mold.

mike west

Reaction score
thats going to be sweet, i am thinking about putting a deposit down on one, how long was did you wait from when you put your deposit down til you got the call from Mike or Gene?

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
thats going to be sweet, i am thinking about putting a deposit down on one, how long was did you wait from when you put your deposit down til you got the call from Mike or Gene?

We put our initial deposit down back in August of last year and we were not expecting the call from Gene & Mike until October or November of this year, which means that people either were not ready or they completely backed out.

When I went up to Howard last week Gene mentioned that they have 22 boats on order and he said if you were to put a deposit down today you probably wouldn't take delivery for about three years.

It is definitely great that they are as busy as they are but a three year wait is long.

In my opinion, any Howard is worth as long as it takes to get one. They are incredibly built boats with features and styling that no other custom boat builder has. I also like the fact that there are not many of them on the water and I think that is due to the fact that the owners hold them much longer than other boats because of the quality and styling of Howard.

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
Wait, what? They are producing like 7 boats/year? What am I missing here?
Prior to COVID they were delivering one boat a month and Gene said they are trying to stick to that but delays are coming left and right, not due to Howard, but due to other suppliers not being able to deliver trailers, parts, gel coat, etc. as quickly as they used to be.

I also think they would rather over quote the waiting time than under quote.

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
something is off.
DCB delivers double that 7 number annually and they take longer to rig

I am not going to speculate on it but I would call Gene and ask him if you were to put a deposit down today when would you receive a boat.

Singleton

Reaction score
I am not going to speculate on it but I would call Gene and ask him if you were to put a deposit down today when would you receive a boat.

22 on order, most likely does not include those in production now IMO.
My gut says the 3 year number includes a buffer for getting power from Mercury Racing.

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
22 on order, most likely does not include those in production now IMO.
My gut says the 3 year number includes a buffer for getting power from Mercury Racing.
Correct, the 22 are boats that are slated to be built and when I went to Howard last week there were 7 or 8 boats in production not including mine or the newest 255 that is in the mold.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Someone needs to get their shit together.... 3 yr wait, f that. I can see if I was building a yacht.

A lot can happen over 3yrs on the customer end and the builder end. You would think you would find a way to cut that down in half, more if possible.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Prior to COVID they were delivering one boat a month and Gene said they are trying to stick to that but delays are coming left and right, not due to Howard, but due to other suppliers not being able to deliver trailers, parts, gel coat, etc. as quickly as they used to be.

I also think they would rather over quote the waiting time than under quote.
This is the case with most builders right now.
About 3 weeks to a month out on gelcoat, even common colors like white and black.
something is off.
DCB delivers double that 7 number annually and they take longer to rig
True, but I wonder if they hit the mark this year?

I’ve no idea how many folks work down st Howard but I know because of their geographical location it’s harder for them to pull talent.

Supercup

Reaction score
It is not about getting their $ together - Howard has never been focused on production numbers and they remain a true "custom" builder. One thing that extends their build times is they leave every boat in the mold for 2 weeks to cure and harden - that is what makes a Howard hull a Howard - built to last. That may have changed since I got my boat years ago - but not likely, Gene has a way of doing things and it has worked for them - building the nicest lake boats you can buy in their class.

If you figure a 3 week cycle - one week mold prep - 2 weeks boat in the mold you can make 17 boats per year in that mold. I don't know how many vee/cat molds they have - but they are limited in their total production based on their commitment to absolute top quality. In addition some of the boats of different size (25 and 28) can use the same mold with a plug in it for the shorter boat. So that can extend the prep time and the delivery time as that also impact how many they can make.

Back when I got my 25 bullet they were builiding about 40-45 boats per year +/-, as I recall. No idea how many today - but they remain focused on quality over quanity - you pay a premium for a Howard, but you get what you pay for!

BlowMe

Reaction score
I cant wait to see this. The colors and the gel scheme are amazing and I love everything about it

Mikes56

Reaction score
We have officially nailed down lines and will be traveling to Howard to finalize the gel colors with Mike next week.

Two grey colors will be metallic and the black and green will have a clear in them.

Should be going into the mold the first week of July and we could not be more excited for the new build, as it has been our dream boat for a while!

I will be going up to Howard as much as possible during the build and will be taking as many photos during the process to post on the thread.

View attachment 1012181
If you live far away, and need pics of something, I live 5 miles from Howard Boats and can run over there for you. PM me and I’ll give you my cell number.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
If you live far away, and need pics of something, I live 5 miles from Howard Boats and can run over there for you. PM me and I’ll give you my cell number.

Can I hop on that boat as well!!!

I will offer beer to be deliverd for pictures??

Mikes56

Reaction score
Can I hop on that boat as well!!!

I will offer beer to be deliverd for pictures??
Yes of course. You’re having one built too? Where did all the Daddy Warbucks come from lol?

PM me your cell.

Mike

Mikes56

Reaction score
Both of you let Gene know I’m coming, so he doesn’t think I’m a stalker.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Wow that looks killer. Not that I dislike blue, but it is awesome seeing these in colors other than blue, they really pop.

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
@FROGMAN524 Yes, it was delivered a couple of weeks ago and we ran it last weekend. Wasn't the best weather but the boat is incredible. We will be back in Havasu in a couple weeks for the Meet Up and it is getting a ceramic coat by Howard Custom Detail in the next day or two. The boat turned out better than we could have ever imagined.

101_0154.JPG
8B13B266-BC2B-4552-96F2-2D5F292A1E52.jpg
101_0162.JPG
101_0201.JPG
IMG_4238.jpeg
IMG_4303.jpeg