WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Open bow conversion and motor refresh suggestions

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
New to this place so I’m hoping I post this in the right section. Just picked up a DCB F26 at the beginning of the year and I love the boat. Needs a couple spot fixxed of the gel because I’m super anal about the imperfections lol. So I want to convert to open bow so I’m looking for some suggestions on places to do that around the so cal havasu area. Also as it’s a used boat I would also like to go through the 540ci motor. It seems to be in good shape and runs great but it’s used. Some suggestions for a reputable shop would also be great. Thanks in advanced!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
We utilize the open bow on our F26 but if i could close it off i would. Don’t cut that boat, she’s an absolute beauty and cutting it open would be a shame. But if you have to the only real suggestion would be to take to DCB. Ours has the new M style interior and it’s amazingly gorgeous and comfortable. They can handle a leak down etc on the engine as well further check things out. Call the shop ask for Eric or shoot him an email. We almost bought that boat before we snagged ours and she has a few small bumps but she really is beautiful, congratulations.
+1 (619) 442-0300
[email protected]

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
We utilize the open bow on our F26 but if i could close it off i would. Don’t cut that boat, she’s an absolute beauty and cutting it open would be a shame. But if you have to the only real suggestion would be to take to DCB. Ours has the new M style interior and it’s amazingly gorgeous and comfortable. They can handle a leak down etc on the engine as well further check things out. Call the shop ask for Eric or shoot him an email. We almost bought that boat before we snagged ours and she has a few small bumps but she really is beautiful, congratulations.
+1 (619) 442-0300
[email protected]
Thanks! Definitely been a great boat and I finally tracked down all the service records from absolute marine. Just wish I knew who the engine builder was! Why would you was to close off the bow? For aesthetics or function? Which one did you end up buying? Does it have the twin outboards?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The people up front will get the living crap beat out of them!

If you only boat on glass, then by all means, go for it.

There are lots of good engine builders around. Where are you located?

Barry here on the boards does great work.

@obnoxious001

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
The people up front will get the living crap beat out of them!

If you only boat on glass, then by all means, go for it.

There are lots of good engine builders around. Where are you located?

Barry here on the boards does great work.

@obnoxious001
I’m here around Fresno Ca. Willing to travel for the few repairs I need to have done in the winter as I would like a quality job. Where is Barry at?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’m here around Fresno Ca. Willing to travel for the few repairs I need to have done in the winter as I would like a quality job. Where is Barry at?
I just all round prefer a closed bow in a performance boat. If the engine runs good and compression tests and leak downs well i wouldn’t care who built it or what’s in it as long as she runs.
Teague is 2 hours south of you, and there are a few bad sob's right there between you and Stockton. Honked Cut Marine seemed to have a decent show of boats this past weekend at the Delta.

And no, pretty sure next boat will be ob tho.

Attachments

• 55E7B81A-FE36-484E-9329-C7A01B0578A4.jpeg
    55E7B81A-FE36-484E-9329-C7A01B0578A4.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: DWC

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
If you're going to cut it (I wouldn't) the ONLY way to go is to a true WTOB so that the damn thing is usable, and the ONLY place to get that done (IMO) would be DCB.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Parker, AZ.

I don't know any builders up your way. 🤷‍♂️

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
If you're going to cut it (I wouldn't) the ONLY way to go is to a true WTOB so that the damn thing is usable, and the ONLY place to get that done (IMO) would be DCB.
There has been some concerns with some guys I’ve seen do that in the past. My brother wanted to but opted for the MCOB on his shockwave because he was told they lay the top up different on WTOB. I’m sure you could do it but I’d be nervous about doing it anywhere else other than DCB. I agree with you 100%

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I agree we won’t but we’ve spoke a few times about cutting ours the rest of the way. Personally I’d rather close mine up tho than cut the rest out.

Other added advantage of having DCB do the work is you end up still having a true DCB for resale. And honestly one of the biggest highlights to ours was the new interior they did which is absolutely amazing.

F1CCD63E-7611-4074-BAB6-70298BB51B8D.jpeg
EF61CE6C-0D09-49F3-BE37-FA6840AD2A01.jpeg
B1A18FF8-C7F8-4723-900C-23DD9FD2AEF2.jpeg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
New to this place so I’m hoping I post this in the right section. Just picked up a DCB F26 at the beginning of the year and I love the boat. Needs a couple spot fixxed of the gel because I’m super anal about the imperfections lol. So I want to convert to open bow so I’m looking for some suggestions on places to do that around the so cal havasu area. Also as it’s a used boat I would also like to go through the 540ci motor. It seems to be in good shape and runs great but it’s used. Some suggestions for a reputable shop would also be great. Thanks in advanced!
Something like this would be stellar in your new sled, add a little purple and it’d be money!
70CEE22B-177A-46F2-81B8-0591C089BFFC.png

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I agree we won’t but we’ve spoke a few times about cutting ours the rest of the way. Personally I’d rather close mine up tho than cut the rest out.

Other added advantage of having DCB do the work is you end up still having a true DCB for resale. And honestly one of the biggest highlights to ours was the new interior they did which is absolutely amazing.

View attachment 1032930 View attachment 1032931 View attachment 1032932

Coming from a WTOB to a full windshield closed bow I can attest first hand how nice the WTOB is for everyday boating.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Something like this would be stellar in your new sled, add a little purple and it’d be money!
View attachment 1032950
I love the new style interior! Def on my list along with some sort of seadek. I’m torn between KMG or DCB either way if I decide to cut it. Really miss my built in ice chests on my lavey! Beautiful boat by the way! What do you have for power?

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Coming from a WTOB to a full windshield closed bow I can attest first hand how nice the WTOB is for everyday boating.
I came from a WTOB lavey and it’s very much a change even from just getting people on and off the boat. I hate that they walk on the bow but it’s the easiest way 😒

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I love the new style interior! Def on my list along with some sort of seadek. I’m torn between KMG or DCB either way if I decide to cut it. Really miss my built in ice chests on my lavey! Beautiful boat by the way! What do you have for power?
I’d seriously talk to Eric at DCB, he will break it all down for you. One positive of KMG is he has intimate knowledge of these boats as well. But when it comes to the interior if you didn’t have Raul and the team at DCB do it (rumor is he’s all caught up and has time right now for some projects) the only other person i personally with even contemplate is Carlos who used to do all DCB’s work until he left for MTI a few years ago. And by the time you took it to him i can only imagine it’d be significantly more than just simply bringing it home to El Cajon.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
If the engine needs to come out of the boat for some reason, by all means check the bearings, all of them, not just one or two. Otherwise, I would advise a leakdown test, which means having the valve covers off so you can see if there is any debris up top, maybe cut the oil filter open, and checking the condition of the oil will give you an idea of how it's been maintained, particularly if there is no record of engine hours.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Talked to Eric not too long ago. Might just update the interior and do some carpet. The walk through which I really want is going to be significantly more. Might be easier for everyone to find one that’s already been cut up properly. 😜

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Talked to Eric not too long ago. Might just update the interior and do some carpet. The walk through which I really want is going to be significantly more. Might be easier for everyone to find one that’s already been cut up properly. 😜
How much more? I want to mcob my lavey.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
I’m not too sure. He’s going to send me a quote over with both options. He said it’s significantly more work with more bracing needed etc.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Your boat with the M style interior will be one of the most beautiful F26’s easily imho. The gel isn’t for everyone but to me it’s just super clean and the tone of purple used makes it pop in person.