WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Appreciate rdp

Justfishing

Reaction score
I was on bbc a bass fishing forum. A thread got deleted after i called a guy a wuss. Minutes later the thread was gone.

Do real men really need 12 weeks of maternity leave? I was self employed and had a flexible schedule but no way in hell did i need more than a few days. If you are taking 12 weeks you are golfing, fishing etc. No way in hell is a dad staying there changing every diaper or doing night time feedings.

If a boss doesnt need you for a third of a year he should eliminate your positiin

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I was on bbc a bass fishing forum. A thread got deleted after i called a guy a wuss. Minutes later the thread was gone.

Do real men really need 12 weeks of maternity leave? I was self employed and had a flexible schedule but no way in hell did i need more than a few days. If you are taking 12 weeks you are golfing, fishing etc. No way in hell is a dad staying there changing every diaper or doing night time feedings.

If a boss doesnt need you for a third of a year he should eliminate your positiin
Lol I was working the next day after my son last week. It's not hard to take some phone calls and handle the schedule. I did stay home for.the rest of the week while my wife recovered. Then back to normal this week

azsunfun

Reaction score
last time i watched birth the cramps were unbelievable only lasted couple days never got all this other time off, breast pump did'nt work! so wife sent me back to the factory, she's the boss! no really shift superviser.:)

Kbach

Reaction score
Damn straight I took my 6 weeks both times the wife gave birth...not scared to admit it. Company offers it so I'd be stoopid not to take it.

Of course I got in trouble from the wife because I was out in the garage more than I was in the house those 12 weeks 🤣

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
12 weeks of vacay?…now I’m thinking about having a kid. F it.

Reactions: DWC

NicPaus

Reaction score
What's fucked up is a kid day trumps a holiday off for a boss of 30 years. Boss could have Christmas dinner planned and a new hire decides to take a baby day and Boss gets called in.

JayBreww

Reaction score
If the wife wants it why not? I took 5 weeks off away from the station in April for our 1st. I tried to take care of everything she needed during those weeks to help her out. Now I go into work and sometimes sleep through the night. It’s amazing how I get more sleep at work than I do at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Back when I still fished I would lurk there. Al Shields is a liberal cuck douchebag...a lot of people left that forum over the years over his antics and obvious bias/favoritism for his minions...He’d drop to his knees to suck the powdery jizz out of Biden’s flaccid Dong if given the chance. Lot of thin skinned liberals on that “site”

DWC

Reaction score
Interesting topic. Had my 2nd kid 23 years ago when i started at my current place of employment. Think we were given 2 weeks at the time. I took less than a week with my 2nd and 3rd kid. For one, my mom and MIL were at our place from early morning til late at night. The second is vacation, sick time and time off overall was fairly frowned upon. The culture has changed quite a bit over the years but i can’t imagine someone putting in for 12weeks. Can and should are two different things.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My new company gives 18 paid weeks the first year and let’s you take them however you want. A coworker is gonna be out probably sometime next week and taking the 18 weeks in one lump. I’m taking 2 of his accounts and covering for him, they will likely get transitioned to me officially upon his return in 2022 lol.

Edit: Company also has unlimited vacation, 1 Friday a quarter off as a wellness day (actually one is next Friday) and a holiday shutdown between Xmas and New Years. They give you $1k annually as a mental health benefit to spend on anything you want aside from guns, drugs, or alcohol, and also give you 5 extra days of for “pandemic related shit”.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
The culture has changed quite a bit over the years but i can’t imagine someone putting in for 12weeks. Can and should are two different things.

I've always been in the sales, or management side of the construction/electrical field... I couldn't imagine trying to take that kind of time off...let alone having my clients/customers be ok with it.

I could see it more at menial jobs where the people are protesting for $15/hr type deals...but not a "real" job....idk how you could be gone that long and it not be detrimental.

When MAK was born last year, the mayor of SA was in full covidiot mode and was making it very hard for us to actually work... Since I was working from home I got to be there a lot..but under normal circumstances I would have maybe taken a week off.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I was always rollin' , so 12 weeks leave wasn't going to happen. 2 of mine were born on Thursday's, so back at it Monday. When wife was pregnant with 2nd, had major surgery at 6 months...I took some time then. That was scary AF to me.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wuss.

😆

DWC

Reaction score
I've always been in the sales, or management side of the construction/electrical field... I couldn't imagine trying to take that kind of time off...let alone having my clients/customers be ok with it.
Yeah, no way i could do it today. Can’t imagine hanging my team or the teams we support out to dry for that long. I’m supposed to be on a 2 week leave now and the emails/calls haven’t stopped. My boss sent a text earlier asking if i was following all the rules. Same one that sent emails early this morning asking for stuff. ;) All good, keep paying me and I’ll keep plugging along.

DWC

Reaction score
My new company gives 18 paid weeks the first year and let’s you take them however you want. A coworker is gonna be out probably sometime next week and taking the 18 weeks in one lump. I’m taking 2 of his accounts and covering for him, they will likely get transitioned to me officially upon his return in 2022 lol.
Exactly, can and should!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Exactly, can and should!

Yea if they offer it and the company supports it, take the damn time. We can’t sit here and preach about the memories with our children being priceless, and in the same breath say only pussies take more than 3 days off work to be with their families. Obviously we need to balance making money there as well, but the world has changed quite a bit.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

Edit: Company also has unlimited vacation, 1 Friday a quarter off as a wellness day (actually one is next Friday) and a holiday shutdown between Xmas and New Years. They give you $1k annually as a mental health benefit to spend on anything you want aside from guns, drugs, or alcohol, and also give you 5 extra days of for “pandemic related shit”.

wtf? They got a ping pong table in the office, and hot yoga room?

riverroyal

Reaction score
I took 1 day off. But i didnt have the option. If i was off no check.
If im off and can get paid then call me a wuff all you want, im taking 3 months off

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
All day every day. No kids here though.

Earned a 12-week paid leave after five years and took every minute of it. Albeit I had accrued so much time off my PTO bank had stopped counting

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I know it's different for a lot of people. I'm lucky enough to work somewhere that even though I have "paid vacation", it really doesn't matter how much I take off. I set my own schedule and hours and as long as my work is getting done then nobody cares. If I need to really be MIA then the people I trust will cover me, but even with that I'm the only person that does my job, things can get done without me or my position but only so much, so I have to play hardcore catch up when I'm out . The owner told me to take as much time as I needed with my Son but it just makes more work for everyone else so if I'm capable of putting in some hours without causing an issues at home then why not cover what I can.

Plus the week before my Son I had to have my wisdom teeth pulled and had to take some time , although I went and fixed a broken water pipe at one of my projects the next day (paid for that later in day lol). So I didn't want to have anyone else picking up after me.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Yea if they offer it and the company supports it, take the damn time. We can’t sit here and preach about the memories with our children being priceless, and in the same breath say only pussies take more than 3 days off work to be with their families. Obviously we need to balance making money there as well, but the world has changed quite a bit.
Agreed. I don't take much official time off but because I don't have to work at an office and make my own schedule I can almost always be present for family events and have a ton of quality time.

Made a personal choice right before my 1st kid to leave a job where I was gone 10 to 16 hours a day 5 days a week and dealt with BS work stuff at home Saturday and Sunday. It wasn't fair to my wife and I didn't want to raise my family that way. Took a 50% pay cut at first until things worked itself out.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Whats owed to you at work is a contract. Paid time off, vacation, holidays, sick time, and PATERNITY leave as well as bereavement. If you're not taking the days off, you must like working for free. Or you dont value family. Work is just that... work. Family and time is paramount to all. You couldnt pay me enough to be away from my family.

Go ahead call me a "wuss"... I'd rather be with my daughter for 6 weeks when she was born and my job was there when I got everything back under control. Going on 12 years now same place.

IMG_6124.jpg

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have a guy out now for the next 12 weeks. He took 14 total 2 weeks are PTO

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
What i didnt like as a supervisor was they would get the 6 weeks but didnt have to use them all at once. Could break them into 3 two week blocks. usually the new dads were too junior to get any prime time vacation. So guess what. 2 weeks when baby was born…. 2 weeks mid summer….. 2 weeks over xmas/new years. And you cant deny it.

the law does state it cant effect staffing levels. So while you cant deny the new dad, you can cancel vacation of the most jr guy in that time period, even if he is very senior to the new dad. That is the path I wanted to take but the department just ate the OT. It sucked having to order guys in on Xmas to fill OT

chonchisyque

Reaction score
The uc system gives you 3 months baby bonding time.which has to used with in the 1st year of the child's birth and it doesn't count as service credit toward your pension calculation.

chonchisyque

Reaction score
I agree with toshark they can break it up and screw the departments vacation schedule for the rest of the year

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
The city always told us during negotiations, how great our benefits pkg is and that's why we make less hourly than the outside union contractors. So, Hell yes I took 5 weeks with the first and 4 with the second. Part of my salary, according to them.
First kid was dealing with asthma at 20 months when second was born, so it was good I was home.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

What's the ticker for this company? Sounds like they are doing well!

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Just had my kid in Feb. i'm self employed and told myself to take two weeks off. Went back to work in 4 days.

Dont think i'll last 12 weeks. hahah
Lol 12 weeks is forever.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My last kid was a week old before I ever met her.
I was on a rig in Prudhoe Bay AK and the tool pusher called me in about 2AM.
said “your wife’s in labor, we can get you on a plane at 8AM.
I said “nope, I’ll finish my hitch...someone has to pay for it”.
Went home a week later as scheduled.
She never forgave me for that. Was divorced a year later.

I’d do the same exact thing today.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I tried taking it for all 3 kids. Not really possible when you’re running big jobs or have classes scheduled already. I change a ton of diapers and bathe the kids and pj them every night. The macho shit doesn’t fly in my house and I wouldn’t want it to anyways.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
My last kid was a week old before I ever met her.
I was on a rig in Prudhoe Bay AK and the tool pusher called me in about 2AM.
said “your wife’s in labor, we can get you on a plane at 8AM.
I said “nope, I’ll finish my hitch...someone has to pay for it”.
Went home a week later as scheduled.
She never forgave me for that. Was divorced a year later.

I’d do the same exact thing today.

Are you expecting?

Rdp needs to know!

Baby seat in the Miller?

Dan'l

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
The city always told us during negotiations, how great our benefits pkg is and that's why we make less hourly than the outside union contractors. So, Hell yes I took 5 weeks with the first and 4 with the second. Part of my salary, according to them.
First kid was dealing with asthma at 20 months when second was born, so it was good I was home.
Agree with both of you guys! I got 10 days of for each kid, but the policy was changed retroactively for the second now everyone gets 21 days paternity leave. Admittedly, I didn’t need that much time off. My MIL was in town to help. But hell, I’m not working for free, if they offer it, take it!

There’s a lot of articles out there relating to this subject now. It’s called burnout. Not taking your time off does not make you tougher. It’ll eventually wear you down until you break.