WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More California BS...New Dirt Bike Though

W.O.T

Reaction score
So thanks to Newscum and his posse, Californians can no longer buy a 2022 and newer motocross bike and ride it in the desert or on Blm land etc.

Not many people know about this BS so if your a dirtbike guy pick up a new 2021 if you can find one!

Anything newer is not register-able and only legal to ride on private property. All 2021 and older bikes will eventually be grandfathered in and legal for use in Cali.

Crazy they pulled this off if you ask me. I wasn’t looking to pick up a new bike just yet, but I had to buy now if I wanted a new bike I could use in Cali. I usually buy a new 450 every 5 years or so and I wanted a Suzuki this time even though it’s the underdog. For what I do it’s all I need.

6A2D75B7-AA11-4F4F-8922-27DCFDB84375.jpeg
2278C02F-7C0C-4075-B193-27E04DF870A9.jpeg
EEE4ECA8-0EA5-400B-AA1E-FE594984A5AA.jpeg

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
California has to be the largest market for off-road motorcycles in the US. How did this happen? How on earth does anyone believe that this will help whatsoever to "stop climate change". There are so many larger fish to fry. What a joke, but the joke's on us unfortunately...

W.O.T

Reaction score
California has to be the largest market for off-road motorcycles in the US. How did this happen? How on earth does anyone believe that this will help whatsoever to "stop climate change". There are so many larger fish to fry. What a joke, but the joke's on us unfortunately...

Absolutely I agree. How did they pull this off? Pollution from the small amount of new 4 stroke dirt bikes? Please

dribble

Reaction score
What about state OHV parks with motocross tracks?

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
What about state OHV parks with motocross tracks?
We’ve been allowed to ride year round with red stickers at the Gorman motocross track. Not sure if that’s regulation or they’re just looking the other way but they don’t check stickers, just spark arrestors.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Are the D-37 and D-38 races considered closed course? What a gong show.

j21black

Reaction score
Insane, and it is likely coming to more corners of America.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Its insane what things are coming too. But this is just one more step in the master plan. There will be nothing legal to drive with gas or Diesel engines. Soon the sale of fuel will become illegal.

Hammer

Reaction score
My friend Jean who is a writer for cycle news covered this in her channel. Very informative and explains it well. Motorcycles aren’t “going away” after 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
Would love to see a link about the new law.

Highly doubt this is going to happen, this is a huge industry in CA and I would be surprised if all of the dealers, after market parts suppliers, and off road parks rolled over and let this happen. Further more there would have been more coverage on other websites, news, and magazines, etc.

Just my 2 cents

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Would love to see a link about the new law.

Highly doubt this is going to happen, this is a huge industry in CA and I would be surprised if all of the dealers, after market parts suppliers, and off road parks rolled over and let this happen. Further more there would have been more coverage on other websites, news, and magazines, etc.

Just my 2 cents

It already happened, and has been for 20 years. The Red Sticker program is done in 2022 and you can only register dirt bikes that are green sticker compliant.

Register your competition dirt bike in AZ. Get an AZ ID for use when off roading. Buy a CA out of state annual pass yearly if needed. Live your life.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score

this is the same state trying to come after lawn mowers as well. Not surprised. What a joke.

Singleton

Reaction score
Register in AZ problem solved

But then you need a Nonresident OHV Use Permit fee ($30) to ride in CA legally.
The question will be for those shops that sell them, will they check ID and will CA DMV execute any enforcement activities on those shops. While I have an address in AZ and could register my quads in AZ, getting the permit will become the issue.

CARB just needs to be dissolved. As some of the articles posted in this thread state, CARB passes single minded regulations without thinking of the consequences. Red stickers equals over $5M in DMV revenue (earmarked for state parks). That is a huge gap in the budget that CARB will not help resolve.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I bought a new/used 2021 Yamaha YZ450 a few months ago, w/3hrs on it.
Suspension done, full system, tons of parts and looks brand new.

Some rich cat in Riverside basically gave it to me! (Compared to it's worth)

Sold my used 2012 for a $1,000 more than I bought it for 7 years ago.
👍👍

The markets crazy right now.

Dettom

Reaction score
The question will be for those shops that sell them, will they check ID and will CA DMV execute any enforcement activities on those shops. While I have an address in AZ and could register my quads in AZ, getting the permit will become the issue.

CARB just needs to be dissolved. As some of the articles posted in this thread state, CARB passes single minded regulations without thinking of the consequences. Red stickers equals over $5M in DMV revenue (earmarked for state parks). That is a huge gap in the budget that CARB will not help resolve.

CARB is run totally by faceless, nameless eco-freaks who were never elected. They answer to no one. It’s a glimpse into a future where every edict is handed down from behind the cover of a cemented-in-place bureaucracy and no one is allowed to question it. They have Orwellian plans well into the future. And it affects every single aspect of peoples lives.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
It Doesn’t !! The reality is people will now buy dual sports and/or the market for pre 2022 bikes is going to explode like 2005 Magic Deck Boats [emoji13]
Lol, yep. I have a 2016 kx450f with 4 hrs ride time picked I up earlier in the year. Thought about selling it, but thinking more about keeping it now
20210503_115738.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Get AZ ID, AZ reg and non resident OHV pass. Or buy a compliant bike.

RichieRich

Reaction score
I read the same thing, however we just bought my son another 85...2022 KTM 85 and we just received the pink slip along with a red sticker.
so not sure what happened there

Singleton

Reaction score
CARB is run totally by faceless, nameless eco-freaks who were never elected. They answer to no one. It’s a glimpse into a future where every edict is handed down from behind the cover of a cemented-in-place bureaucracy and no one is allowed to question it. They have Orwellian plans well into the future. And it affects every single aspect of peoples lives.

100% agree. Researched some of the board members and it makes you head hurt. Everyone of them is environmental friendly (I call them environmental terrorists) and researching the process to get on the board is even more painful. You know an organization does not have your best interests in mind, when the state government needs a super majority to disband it.

Singleton

Reaction score

based on my research all my old stuff moves from red to green stickers in 2022.
That just means I will not be upgrading anything this year.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Just to clarify you cannot register in CA any 2022 red sticker bike that does not qualify for green sticker emissions requirements. That is basically all two strokes.

All that is left is green sticker mostly 4 stroke bikes. This was all about emissions. This really snuck up on everyone

According to CARB they wanted to sunset the red sticker program from the beginning since it was only temporary. Since most people buy red sticker bikes, they said it was never their intention for that to happen.

So technically the manufacturers can make 2 strokes green sticker emissions compliant. But nothing from them yet

Most new 2021 bikes are already sold out

We saw this coming so we had to rush and find my son a KTM 250 he wanted. We found a clean used one one thankfully

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

The fact 2022 mx bikes have "zero" registration, Ca dmv is completely uninvolved. How can they regulate the shop for a vehicle that Ca has no attachment to?

Singleton

Reaction score
The fact 2022 mx bikes have "zero" registration, Ca dmv is completely uninvolved. How can they regulate the shop for a vehicle that Ca has no attachment to?

selling out of state OHV stickers to CA residents that have bikes registered in AZ (since they have an address in AZ)

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
To clarify the non complaint 2022 bikes can be sold in CA but cannot be registered in CA.

So that means you cannot use it anywhere that requires registration. (Public lands, parks, public trials, OHV areas, etc,)

You can use the bike on private lands or sanctioned competition events.

The state said they are not banning them for competition use. Except how are the racers supposed to practice without public lands?

What I am not clear on is a CA resident or anyone else using a non compliant
bike in CA? I.e out of state permits allowed for them ( that may not be allowed).

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It's laughable that their acronym is CARB when everything now days is injected.....

Should change their name to EFI - Environmentalist Fucking Idiots

Get with the times, losers!

Last edited:

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Have you priced a 2001 YZ250 lately?

Loved my 01 YZ 250. Wish I still had it! First MX bike I ever owned. So light, so fast, sick suspension. Sent all the shocks up to PC, amazing how they can turn already pretty good suspension into Amazing suspension…Always had 3 and 4 wheelers, where the suspension was never that impressive, unless you own stock in Ella. Remember the first double I ever did at Elsinore on it. Was so scared 😱 think I liked that 250 more then all the 426’s and 450’s that followed.
The good ole days.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
selling out of state OHV stickers to CA residents that have bikes registered in AZ (since they have an address in AZ)
Who said or suggested the dealer sold them Az registration, this would be on the buyers shoulders.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Loved my 01 YZ 250. Wish I still had it! First MX bike I ever owned. So light, so fast, sick suspension. Sent all the shocks up to PC, amazing how they can turn already pretty good suspension into Amazing suspension…Always had 3 and 4 wheelers, where the suspension was never that impressive, unless you own stock in Ella. Remember the first double I ever did at Elsinore on it. Was so scared 😱 think I liked that 250 more then all the 426’s and 450’s that followed.
The good ole days.
That was a great year for Yamaha's 250. McGraths' last big SX wins were on that bike.
My buddy has a "NOS" 2001 YZ250 with low hours, stock pipe, stock graphics, etc sitting in the garage. I always want to take it for a rip when I see it

RCDave

Reaction score
My first 250 was a 1986 Yamaha YZ250. I LOVED that bike. Later I got a YZ400. It was nice and with better suspension. But liked the 2 stroke more.

77charger

Reaction score
Yup
yup ca only cares about money and that they get their cut. Show up with az reg and ca lic theyll find a way to fuck you show up with az reg ca lic and out of state ohv sticker probably be good.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My friend Jean who is a writer for cycle news covered this in her channel. Very informative and explains it well. Motorcycles aren’t “going away” after 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's super cool she rides Green👍👍

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yup

yup ca only cares about money and that they get their cut. Show up with az reg and ca lic theyll find a way to fuck you show up with az reg ca lic and out of state ohv sticker probably be good.
Neighboring states will thank Ca for the extra mvd fees they get to collect

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

CA will happily take any money you are willing to give them..

BamBam

Reaction score
based on my research all my old stuff moves from red to green stickers in 2022.
That just means I will not be upgrading anything this year.
I believe that your current "Red Sticker" bikes will not be "Green" until 2025 the way I read the law.

Here is the CARB info https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-01/Red Sticker Guidance Document for Riders.pdf

There was a thread here on RDP back in February 2020.

gqchris

Reaction score
Or just ride in places that are not HYPER policed and you have no worries. I prefer to ride in areas that I see very few people and just surrounded by close friends.

I have been asked to see the sticker on my toys over the last 25 years exactly ZERO times! Actuality, I have never even been approached by LEO other than a friendly wave.

HBCraig

Reaction score

Carb does the same to me in the crane world. It slows down the buying process considerably. We are talking millions and millions of registration dollars. Crazy

Reactions: DWC