WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shiada advice for Ireland.

Brianfoley

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I've been following this forum for the last few years and i joined this group for help with a Shiada 20 sport tunnel set up.
My name is Brian Foley, i live in the midlands in Ireland and boat on 2 large lakes. I recently bought SDAST010B292 bare hull and trailer no interior, It had a non running 1991 175 Fast Strike loosely bolted to it.
I originally saw this boat 6 years ago sitting engine less in a field in Cork, i didn't know what it was so i paid no attention to it, 3 years ago it appeared up for sale and i thought it looked interesting so i googled it and first came across RIVER DAVES PLACE!, I went to see it, it was just a bare hull and no trailer, the deck was damaged and badly resprayed. They were looking for E4000 euro $4700 dollars and i thought it was too much, i put in an offer of E2500 euro and waited. It was sold to someone else, i was gutted! i spent the next year keeping an eye on the classifieds for it to reappear. It finally reappeared a month ago and i jumped on it, E3500 euro.
I have a 2001 Yamaha 150hp HPDI to go on, I hope the Yamaha will be big enough, large used Outboards are scarce and expensive here in Ireland, also with petrol at $1.87 a liter here the Yamaha is easy to run.
I took out the built in fiberglass fuel tank as the internal anti slosh foam had disintegrated and i couldn't get it out successfully.
We have no tunnel hulls here in Ireland, all Vee, this is probably the only tunnel hull in the country, so i am lost as to how to set this up, where do i need the weight? do i put the new fuel tank and battery back in the back or should some weight be in the front? The Shiada currently has it's original fixed 6 inch setback bracket, what setback should i have.
Sorry for all the questions! but i'm a little lost here and out of my slightly out of my depth.
Thanks in advance! Brian Foley

Reactions: DWC

Brianfoley

Reaction score
20210827_113905.jpg 20210826_162554.jpg 20210826_162045.jpg 20210826_162031.jpg 20210826_161920.jpg 20210826_160542.jpg

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Put her in a container send to the states sell as "work in progress" hell you can get 20k here the way it sits ;)

Welcome aboard
Ireland and going to Isle of man to watch the race is on the list of life trips 🍻
I'm sure you'll get the info or a contact you need soon enough

nice ride

Brianfoley

Reaction score
Put her in a container send to the states sell as "work in progress" hell you can get 20k here the way it sits ;)

Welcome aboard
Ireland and going to Isle of man to watch the race is on the list of life trips 🍻
I'm sure you'll get the info or a contact you need soon enough

nice ride
Thanks 3 Queens, i boat all year round and hoping it's ok with larger chop as i would like it to be a keeper.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but from the back, it kinda looks like a Stoker or Baker tunnel design. Start with the engine 1/2" above the bottom of the pad. For each 4" of setback, add 1/4" of height.

Brianfoley

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but from the back, it kinda looks like a Stoker or Baker tunnel design. Start with the engine 1/2" above the bottom of the pad. For each 4" of setback, add 1/4" of height.
Hi Keith, would you know how far back i should set the engine, bracket is currently 6'' setback is that right or should it be more, and in these tunnel hulls should i have the weight like the fuel tank and battery in the back or further forward. Thanks.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Start with what you have and go from there. Setback is dependent on the weight of the boat, center of gravity and dynamic center of gravity (when it's "flying"), occupants weight and gear, etc. Put it together, see what it does and make adjustments from there. If it were a more common rig, there may be even better "baseline settings" but at least I don't know what they would be.

BamBam

Reaction score
Hi Keith, would you know how far back i should set the engine, bracket is currently 6'' setback is that right or should it be more, and in these tunnel hulls should i have the weight like the fuel tank and battery in the back or further forward. Thanks.
Brian, @schiadastan has a 20' Schiada Sport Tunnel outboard and probably rigged your boat when it left the shop originally. Reach out to him as he is a wealth of knowledge on all of the Schiada. Cool to see a 20' Tunnel in Ireland and being brought back to life. Weight needs to be in the back (fuel and battery) they need trim to run.