WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whats up with Ford

Orange Juice

Reaction score
No vehicles to pick from. Dealer lots are empty out back, and nothing scheduled to arrive.

Even when the chip shortage gets fixed (2022 and counting), labor shortages are going to wreak havoc on “just in time”production lines, and options available.

This is going to be very hard on Ford next year. They can’t expect to keep making up volume with 20-30% price increases. Something is seriously wrong, going into 2022.

Gone are the days when 10 sales guys met you in the parking lot, fighting over who got to open your door.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
No vehicles to pick from. Dealer lots are empty out back, and nothing scheduled to arrive.

Even when the chip shortage gets fixed (2022 and counting), labor shortages are going to wreak havoc on “just in time”production lines, and options available.

This is going to be very hard on Ford next year. They can’t expect to keep making up volume with 20-30% price increases. Something is seriously wrong, going into 2022.

Gone are the days when 10 sales guys met you in the parking lot, fighting over who got to open your door.

Ford Motor Company taking notes from Robbie Gordon?

Dan'l

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
This ain’t just a Ford thing.
It’s an industry thing.

Toyota is losing 430,000 production units this month alone.

The industry as a whole is conservatively estimated to lose 8.5 million production units…thats 8.5 million cars (globally) that won’t be built or sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It’s an industry thing.

The industry as a whole is conservatively estimated to lose 8.5 million production units…thats 8.5 million cars (globally) that won’t be built or sold.

1631721894557.png

Blubyu

Reaction score
They’re not the only maufacture with these issues. The whole automotive industry is sailing on the same boat. I would go even further to say the automotive industry is on life support right now. 2017 vehicles having oil cooler failures and over 100k of them on backorder with no projection of shipment date. These particular vehicles are pavement weights until fixed. Clock springs for 2020’s. The manufacturer doesn’t have a supplier to build, so again another dead car. This is what continues to drive up the used market's value. On average 30% over book value is seen in the automotive market. Another issue this has caused is dealer-only parts, dealers typically will sell to each other, however, because quantity has become so thin, they are holding parts for their own customers, and if you’re not getting the vehicle repaired at their facility, no sell. The dealer will also do a market adjustment on the part just like they are doing with new cars because they know they are one of a few dealers with the said part. Complete bullshit!!

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Get an email from my local Chevy dealer this AM, spamming for "Chevy Truck Month". So I check their website, thinking, cool they're getting some stock in so the dealership appears to be still in business ----- Their total truck inventory is 4 --- 2021 Silverado 1500's, and one of those is in transit. Zero 2500s period.

So Chevy, good profitable Truck Month Luck 👍 😂

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
No different than the boat manufacturers. You can’t buy a Malibu or Ski Nautique no matter how much you wanted one. They are taking orders a year out. Go buy a Howard deck, a DCB, or God forbid a Schiada. You’ll be lucky to have by the end of next year.

As for Ford, I hope they can service the vehicles on the road and get parts for them. That could be a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
As of today it is looking like we will get Speed cars before people get their Broncos they have been waiting for almost 4 years for :)

Didn't they have a problem with the roof, or was that the 'little' Bronco?

Dan'l

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I’m employed at a Toyota dealer. We Usually have Apx 400 on the ground. Currently we have 6 new cars in stock on the ground.

Ran a locate a few days back. Within a 50 mile radius of our dealership. There were 261 new Toyota’s TOTAL avail. I’m sure way lower now.

Scary chit 4 show……

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Didn't they have a problem with the roof, or was that the 'little' Bronco?

Dan'l

That is the big one. They actually look pretty cool. A guy on the street behind me got one of the ones that leaked out. I think they are getting a free roof later.

And a guy 3 houses up in Havasu works for a Ford dealer I think. He had one in front of his house a couple weeks ago.

Ford really bungled this release from start to finish. Most of the "little" Bronco owners think they got the real one.

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score
I’m employed at a Toyota dealer. We Usually have Apx 400 on the ground. Currently we have 6 new cars in stock on the ground.

Ran a locate a few days back. Within a 50 mile radius of our dealership. There were 261 new Toyota’s TOTAL avail. I’m sure way lower now.

Scary chit 4 show……

Less volume but new car gross is really good. :D:D

hallett21

Reaction score
I wonder how stressed the truck market will be when Corps go to buy write offs in December

RCDave

Reaction score
Bummer for the two truck companies that rely on Fords for a huge part of their business! HAH

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Less volume but new car gross is really good. :D:D

Yes. It is. Hearing a lot of reports of dealers going 5-10k OVER MSRP not just on specialty vehicles, but even on basic Tacoma‘s, Tundra’s, Corolla’s. Rav4 hybrid….. is a total unicorn.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Is this really all from a computer chip shortage? Chips made in China? Isn’t anybody else able to manufacture them?

attitude

Reaction score
Yes. It is. Hearing a lot of reports of dealers going 5-10k OVER MSRP not just on specialty vehicles, but even on basic Tacoma‘s, Tundra’s, Corolla’s. Rav4 hybrid….. is a total unicorn.

Just went with my buddy to buy a new corrolla last Friday. Sticker was 24k he was out the door at $26,300 no mark up, no funny business.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Is this really all from a computer chip shortage? Chips made in China? Isn’t anybody else able to manufacture them?

All these companies have lean "just in time" supply chains. That means one hiccup anywhere in the supply chain and your production is screwed. These chips are not specific to cars. It is a commodity part and they are in everything from coffee makers to cars. All these commodity makers do not want to invest in infrastructure to fill a temporary demand. That said the demand for chips is only going to grow, and new chip foundries are in the works around the world, but they are still victims of the same supply chain problems getting raw building materials.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
supply chain shortcomings.. this is what you get when you ship manufacuring overseas. toyota had a lead in the initial onset of pandemic but even their model cant sustain a shortage of raw materials or components to make sub assemblies lasting this long.

I had read Toyota never canceled any of their orders when the pandemic hit.... that is why they seemingly did ok for awhile. Ford canceled orders for commodity parts and why they were one of the first to feel the pain of shortages.

pronstar

Reaction score
I had read Toyota never canceled any of their orders when the pandemic hit.... that is why they seemingly did ok for awhile. Ford canceled orders for commodity parts and why they were one of the first to feel the pain of shortages.

Bigger contributor:
Toyota leaned a huge lesson after the tsunami…they were over-reliant on too-few suppliers for critical parts.

So they shored-up their supply chain.

But yeah, at some point even a diverse supplier base can only do so much.

One thing Toyota does have:
Deep cash reserves

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
When I picked up my truck from fixed at the Ram dealer here in TX yesterday the only new stuff that was on the lot were (4) 1500's, some chargers, and about 10% of their normal used inventory. They normally have multiple several acre lots around town stuffed with cars...its one of the highest volume diesel dealers in the nation. Their sales floor was bare with 3 guys twiddling their thumbs behind desks.

Tech shortages is another thing....their service Bay Area was wall to wall vehicles...they have 6 techs vs roughly the 50 they need to have. Parts are a crapshoot for repairs also.. My buddy is one of the fleet service managers..he was telling me transmissions are backorder, as are fuel pumps etc.

I keep hearing late 22, early 23....but hell this has gotta be wreaking havoc on dealer finances/manufacturers as well.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
When I picked up my truck from fixed at the Ram dealer here in TX yesterday the only new stuff that was on the lot were (4) 1500's, some chargers, and about 10% of their normal used inventory. They normally have multiple several acre lots around town stuffed with cars...its one of the highest volume diesel dealers in the nation. Their sales floor was bare with 3 guys twiddling their thumbs behind desks.

Tech shortages is another thing....their service Bay Area was wall to wall vehicles...they have 6 techs vs roughly the 50 they need to have. Parts are a crapshoot for repairs also.. My buddy is one of the fleet service managers..he was telling me transmissions are backorder, as are fuel pumps etc.

I keep hearing late 22, early 23....but hell this has gotta be wreaking havoc on dealer finances/manufacturers as well.

A buddy of mine just sold/closed 2 of his shops because he couldn’t find techs to work…consolidated all his techs at the 3rd shop and all is well…for now. Lots of trouble getting parts. This just the beginning.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
It’s an industry thing.

Get ready for bailout 2.0 🤡 🤡

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I was gonna throw 2 of my 3 trucks up for sale…maybe I’ll wait a bit

ridebig

Reaction score
I just ordered a powerstroke and they told me 8-10 weeks but we'll see
My dodge fleet guy told me sold orders are being built first. I ordered a 2022 Ram 3500 a couple of months ago and they received the vin number so it shouldn’t be long. I’m also going to pick up my 2021 Hellcat Durango in about an hour. $1500 over invoice.
0EEE8575-875D-40F5-BD4C-3BB8ADAD4B73.jpeg

Last edited:

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
There will be no bailout, revenue is just fine for dealerships and OEMs.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
All these companies have lean "just in time" supply chains. That means one hiccup anywhere in the supply chain and your production is screwed. These chips are not specific to cars, they are in everything, it is a commodity part and they are in everything from coffee makers to cars. All these commodity makers do not want to invest in infrastructure to fill a temporary demand. That said the demand for chips is only going to grow, and new chip foundries are in the works, around the world but are still victims of the same supply chain problems getting raw building materials.

Add in business unit managers and purchasing agents that are graded against working capital performance score cards and you get caught with your pants down because you are worried about days in inventory numbers. If I recall correctly the chip problem started before the pandemic.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Add in business unit managers and purchasing agents that are graded against working capital performance score cards and you get caught with your pants down because you are worried about days in inventory numbers. If I recall correctly the chip problem started before the pandemic.

True. The pandemic just made it a lot worse.

pkbullet

Reaction score
I just ordered a powerstroke and they told me 8-10 weeks but we'll see
If you do a certified order, your allocation comes out before the regular allocation is split between dealers. Not only does it assist with build time, we look at it as extra allocation. The fifteenth of every month is the cutoff.

pronstar

Reaction score
There will be no bailout, revenue is just fine for dealerships and OEMs.

OEM’s have been raising prices to match demand. Last year was great for per-car margin and overall profitability.

But there’s a point approaching where there’s no cars to sell, and prices will hit a ceiling…

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
My wifes brother is an assembly line lead for Ford in Elyria Ohio. He is basically on call supplemented by some unemployment or however that works in Ohio.

He goes in to do his thing maybe 2-4 days every two weeks. He's pretty frustrated but knows he's powerless except to find another job with similar issues.

They mfg. the vans at this plant I understand.

yard dog

Reaction score
Kenworth , has laid off 350 people because of the chip shortage and hundreds of semi trucks are sitting because of this problem in Ohio .

Husqy510

Reaction score
If you do a certified order, your allocation comes out before the regular allocation is split between dealers. Not only does it assist with build time, we look at it as extra allocation. The fifteenth of every month is the cutoff.
That's good to know, and I did verify that it's a certified order

Ol Man

Reaction score
We just did the Ford F150 factory tour in Dearborne a couple of weeks ago and they are completing a truck every 60 seconds. It was an awesome tour. One of the last things they do before getting loaded is to do a test drive. It is one of the tours you can take when you visit the Ford museum. I highly recommend. We spent two days there. My son got his 2022 F250 a few weeks ago.

pronstar

Reaction score
Maybe the timing is right to pivot the production line to an analog vehicle? Perhaps dial up the BOMs and Routings from a nice dentside or bumpside? :):)

No kidding…when I read that GM was building some half-tons without cylinder deactivation due to the chip shortage, my first thought was “can I order one like that?” [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk