WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tri tip is a CALIFORNIA meat.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
The rest of the country views this meat as below london broil or brisket. It’s actually hard to get outside CA. I love it! I found a killer recipe.

DWC

Reaction score
Lived in Atl for a couple years in early 2000. No tri tip. Threw my bbq game off.

sintax

Reaction score
I'll be more than happy to come stab anyone who puts a tri-tip in their oven.

Thats absolute sacrilege.

its simple, season with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, dried parsley... thats it. no marinades, no injections. Cook it over red oak if you can, but a post oak or white oak will work too. Coals HOT, sear it good, build the bark quickly, move it to the indirect heat, cook until internal of 125-128 (it'll carry over), pull it and dont touch it for 30min.

simple!

if you're lazy, this seasoning works too

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Did the tip for a decade when living in the hood in Hawaii In our early married years. Still good from time to time.

westair

Reaction score
Google Cardiff Crack. It’s the best tri tip I’ve ever eaten. Seaside Market in Cardiff by the Sea.
My son‘s bringing this over tomorrow to cook …. he’s been telling me the same thing

chvynhra

Reaction score
I do not like the Cardiff. It tastes like it's been chemically tenderize or something? Kinda mushy.

sintax

Reaction score
I do not like the Cardiff. It tastes like it's been chemically tenderize or something? Kinda mushy.

That would make sense, what the do is inject it with their marinade, which I’m sure has some type of acid or chemical tenderizing agent.

poncho

Reaction score
I have a butcher at the local grocery store, old school last of an era type. It's fun to watch people ask him questions, the guy is at the end of his career and just does not give a shit, he is mean.
I remember asking him about tri tip must have been 8-10 years ago, he say's to me "your one of those west coast fuckers aint you"...I cracked up laughing and that disarmed him.
He looked it up and said come back tomorrow, always hooks me up. I've run into him outside of work a few times and he's always laughing and in a good mood, I think he just hates customers and their stupid questions.
Try not to have it too much so it's a hell of a treat when I do.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Amateurs...Santa Maria stole it from Arroyo Grande. The only real Tip Cut your gonna get is from Henry at the AG Butcher.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Used to smoke then all the time in San Diego, As other have said it is hard to get them here in TN. Local butcher will get them for me. In Florida I haven't found a source yet.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Used to smoke then all the time in San Diego, As other have said it is hard to get them here in TN. Local butcher will get them for me. In Florida I haven't found a source yet.
Did you try COSTCO?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Oak is ideal if you can find it and if you spray the meat with water every 15 minutes it'll help develop a flavorful smoke ring. This depending on the temp you're smoking at. The lower the temp the better the smoke penetration.

I use Post Oak (white oak). I've tried the white oak Jack Daniels busted up aging barrels chunks but they are too dry and spent and offer no sweet wood smoke flavor.
The older your smoking wood is the less sweet smoking effect it offers. On the other hand it can be too fresh and green too. I have chunks delivered that are just right.

maxresdefault.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

bocco

Reaction score
My wife had the same experience when visiting family in North Carolina. My thinking is that all cows have the same meat so it has to just have a different name or it just goes into hamburger on the east coast.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
When I have my beef butchered I ask for a "triangle roast". But talking to the guys at the processing house they all know what a tri-tip is these days, just not popular out here.

Chuckeye steaks are another good cut if you have a good butcher.

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Tri tip only exists sporadically at stores here…it’s all about the brisket in the Bible Belt.

No idea how a tri tip cut gets thrown into a london broil column, that is a horrible piece of meat.

Ever try to sous vide London broil?

It’s like butter, super tender [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

badgas

Reaction score
No idea how a tri tip cut gets thrown into a london broil column, that is a horrible piece of meat.

Because a lot poeple who have never done them do not know how to slice it. Tri tip has two different grain directions and if you don't slice it against the grain then it will be really tough. You would be surprised how many people just lay it out and slice evenly across the roast and screw it up.
iu.jpeg

bocco

Reaction score
Because a lot poeple who have never done them do not know how to slice it. Tri tip has two different grain directions and if you don't slice it against the grain then it will be really tough. You would be surprised how many people just lay it out and slice evenly across the roast and screw it up.
View attachment 1050931
Another tip is that the grain is easier to see before the meat is cooked. A few well placed tooth pics can help find the cut and directions after it's cooked.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Google Cardiff Crack. It’s the best tri tip I’ve ever eaten. Seaside Market in Cardiff by the Sea.

I have had it a few time. Brother in law swears by it. I must be weird because I dont get the draw.

I do love me some tri tip though.

toto

Reaction score
We have been in Texas for almost 2 years and finding Tri Tip is almost impossible. We use to cook it every other weekend and I thought for sure we would be able to get it seeing how there is a cow on every corner 🤣 but not even close. I have been to a lot of Butchers that don't even know what a Tri Tip is. I hauled half a truck of Red Oak out and can't even use it. Still on the hunt though. Costco has them ever now and then

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I believe they tumble and marinate the meat in some sort of a pressure vessel.
My son drives to Fallbrook to a butcher who prepares his TriTips this way.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Some inject them and cook them like a Franklin brisket coating them in tallo & wrapping in butcher paper half way through the cook.

I have Prague power (not to be and never to be confused with pink nor Himalayan salt) and occasionally make Tri Tip Pastrami. Gotta be careful with Prague powder. Wife insists it's locked in the gun cabinet.

At the NPB Elks we award more collage scholarships at higher dollar than anyone. At the students awarding luncheon for 100 years they served the kids spaghetti but in the last decade we up'd the game and busted out the BBQ.
The smoked Tri Tip pastrami on fresh baked rye bread is a winner. The back ribs too.

It's a very versatile meat. You can do anything with it as long as it's cooked & sliced right. Problem is now the price has skyrocketed.

Last edited:

Zed

Reaction score
Reverse sear - just salt and pepper, smoke till internal is 118, get the bbq going up to 800, pull from smoker to bbq sear for a couple minutes both sides....slice as thin as possible.....deeeeeelish!

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
The rest of the country views this meat as below london broil or brisket. It’s actually hard to get outside CA. I love it! I found a killer recipe.

100 times better than London Broil and if Trip Tip was 15 pounds it would be better than brisket

Reactions: TPC

jet496

Reaction score
I'm picking up a Cardiff Crack today while at Seaside Market to get my coffee for the month. They also have the best Prime USDA Ribeye ever. Seriously the best meat & coffee beans in San Diego county.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I'll be more than happy to come stab anyone who puts a tri-tip in their oven.

Thats absolute sacrilege.

its simple, season with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, dried parsley... thats it. no marinades, no injections. Cook it over red oak if you can, but a post oak or white oak will work too. Coals HOT, sear it good, build the bark quickly, move it to the indirect heat, cook until internal of 125-128 (it'll carry over), pull it and dont touch it for 30min.

simple!

if you're lazy, this seasoning works too
Nailed it !!! This is the consummate "Santa Maria Bar B Q" , served with Pinquitos , Green Salad and Garlic bread ..... Years ago this cut was .29 cents a pound ;)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Nailed it !!! This is the consummate "Santa Maria Bar B Q" , served with Pinquitos , Green Salad and Garlic bread ..... Years ago this cut was .29 cents a pound ;)
My boy does it over open pit for 4-5 hours.
My son grew up in Santa Maria and learned from some street vendors that set up near his moms place plus his mom worked at Jockos so he spent plenty if time there too. My ex's bestie(whose son is now their bbq chef) worked there back then too.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We have been in Texas for almost 2 years and finding Tri Tip is almost impossible. We use to cook it every other weekend and I thought for sure we would be able to get it seeing how there is a cow on every corner [emoji1787] but not even close. I have been to a lot of Butchers that don't even know what a Tri Tip is. I hauled half a truck of Red Oak out and can't even use it. Still on the hunt though. Costco has them ever now and then

Costco is the only place I’ve seen it.
They’ve also been carrying picanha cut [emoji106]

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
My boy does it over open pit for 4-5 hours.
My son grew up in Santa Maria and learned from some street vendors that set up near his moms place plus his mom worked at Jockos so he spent plenty if time there too. My ex's bestie(whose son is now their bbq chef) worked there back then too.
One of the newest trends I see at BBQ's is that when its "just knocked the horns off, finished rare" they wrap the roasts in foil and put them in an ice chest (no ice) to "rest" , nothing better ;).... Jocko's and Far western (guadalupe) are awesome

Turnup

Reaction score
Tri tip only exists sporadically at stores here…it’s all about the brisket in the Bible Belt.

Ever try to sous vide London broil?

It’s like butter, super tender [emoji106]

I can see that changing my outlook..

poncho

Reaction score
When I have my beef butchered I ask for a "triangle roast". But talking to the guys at the processing house they all know what a tri-tip is these days, just not popular out here.

Chuckeye steaks are another good cut if you have a good butcher.
Shhh, its a secret. Wife is an educated Chef, her school partner was Emeril so she knows food. Turned her on to that and she couldn't believe a cut of meat that most wouldn't feed their dog in her world could be so flavorful. 👍
She would say I have lowered her standards. ;)

Last edited:

bluebleeder

Reaction score
Costco is the only place I’ve seen it.
They’ve also been carrying picanha cut [emoji106]

Living North of Houston, we can get it pretty much anywhere. HEB and Costco always have it. Obviously Texas is brisket country so the price for tri tip is about 1/2 to 2/3 the price in California.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
One of the newest trends I see at BBQ's is that when its "just knocked the horns off, finished rare" they wrap the roasts in foil and put them in an ice chest (no ice) to "rest" , nothing better ;).... Jocko's and Far western (guadalupe) are awesome
Far western isn't in Quadalupe anymore. It moved about 6 or 7 years ago. Its in old Town Orcutt now.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk