WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cargo ships multiplying off Ca Coast

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I keep hearing its a truck driver shortage.
How can that be? The trucking industry has been taken over by foreigners and the containers haven't even been unloaded off the damn ships yet. There used to be a member here ( Djunky) that worked the docks. It would be interesting to hear from a resident longshoreman to see what the hold up is here.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
How can that be? The trucking industry has been taken over by foreigners and the containers haven't even been unloaded off the damn ships yet. There used to be a member here ( Djunky) that worked the docks. It would be interesting to hear from a resident longshoreman to see what the hold up is here.
There’s several issues driving the record amount of Cargo Ships off the port of Long Beach. Trucker Shortage, Union Workers limited via Covid, etc…. Buy your Christmas Gifts now. The shelf’s are probably going to be empty by Halloween!

TCHB

Reaction score
China says Americans keep buying too much of their products. Christmas products already coming out. Slow down!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Fuk China, we're in this mess because we have relied on them for so many years and now they have us by the balls. Time to take things back to made in the great old USA and tell those fuks to pound sand with their alies.

ChrisV

Reaction score
From what i've heard it's because we don't have stuff to fill the containers to go back. Since we been on lockdown and no people working. Theres nothing to export.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It’s crazy, rumor we’re hearing at work (BNSF Railway) is that there’s no longshoremen due to covid. But I’ve heard rumors they are on a not strike, working bare minimum. We were hearing, that if Gavin won they’d keep it slow and or full strike.
Regardless we are extremely slow right now, and a lot of empty containers headed west back to California.

Reaction score
From what i've heard it's because we don't have stuff to fill the containers to go back. Since we been on lockdown and no people working. Theres nothing to export.

never thought of that, so here alot of products have a stamp "made in china" and in china alot of products say "made in u.s.a." or if not where are we exporting too (or use too) ?

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Its funny, ever time i take a walk on SB pier, every group of people walking by is talking about all the ships.

ChrisV

Reaction score
never thought of that, so here alot of products have a stamp "made in china" and in china alot of products say "made in u.s.a." or if not where are we exporting too (or use too) ?

Not sure to be honest. I have couple customers that are long shoreman and they say more stuff is coming here and not going out.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Unions. The ships and goods are there. Longshoreman won’t unload em and truckers won’t move em.
Why wont the longshoreman unload them? There is a issue with not enough truckers.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Fuk China, we're in this mess because we have relied on them for so many years and now they have us by the balls. Time to take things back to made in the great old USA and tell those fuks to pound sand with their alies.
Not so easy….

I had a big brake caliper order I was planning on bringing in from a factory in China that makes really nice stuff… by the time everything got sorted out freight and tariffs were more than the cost of the goods, and was rising weekly. I called no fewer than 10 foundries here in the states and without even discussing minimum quantities ortooling cost, all were no quotes…nobody was interested in my business. Hard to bring business back home when that’s how you’re treated.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Unions. The ships and goods are there. Longshoreman won’t unload em and truckers won’t move em.
I have a few trucker friends, owner/operators...non-union guys...they flat refuse to haul in or out of Cali. Between traffic, regulations and fuel cost, they just stay out. I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

Now then, with all the new people moving out here, a 40ft container is now 7-8k for a storage shed. They were 1500-2000 a few years back. One would think there should be a huge surplus of them from our shut down industry.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I have a few trucker friends, owner/operators...non-union guys...they flat refuse to haul in or out of Cali. Between traffic, regulations and fuel cost, they just stay out. I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

Now then, with all the new people moving out here, a 40ft container is now 7-8k for a storage shed. They were 1500-2000 a few years back. One would think there should be a huge surplus of them from our shut down industry.

go look in Wilmington there’s a mountain of containers. They charge that much because it’s become trendy.

I don’t blame owner operators not wanting to haul in CA.

the problem is that the port will only allow union truckers to operate. It’s a long time running deal which ultimately forced the trains out of the port. Think how dumb it is to unload a container from the ship, onto a truck, drive it10 miles up the 710 to a train loading facility to be moved around the US.

imagine if they allowed private or even hell those hotshot guys would haul anything if they could….

Last edited:

azsunfun

Reaction score
do these containers have the auto chips? looked for truck today, some lots empty.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
I lived in Pedro all of my life, most of my friends are longys. No one knew what to expect during this pandemic or how the world was going to handle what was coming. China imports probably 80% of their goods to the USA, we export about 20% to them. 20 something ships in our harbor waiting to be offloaded is nothing, China has 200+ waiting to be offloaded and loaded back to go all over the world. China shut down, everything was put on hold and it spread like a spider web thru the whole world affecting businesses, jobs. Now businesses can't get employees to come back to work! Now that China has ramped up again, ships are being loaded over there to come here. Some of the problems are that they don't have anywhere to put the empty cans, there's no room to put the cans that just landed. Truckers? I've never seen so many container trucks on the 710 FWY that I was on today, I think I was the only pick-up truck going north from the harbor. They just elevated 600 Casual workers out of the casual hall to be Identified Casuals to go to the big hall. Now that there aren't enough casuals at their hall, the job count cycled down there a couple of days ago, meaning there were no more casuals to fill the job tickets to go to work. People who are on the list to be called to go thru the process to become casual will get called. Right now a casual worker could probably get 6 days a week before they bring in new casuals. So, they better get while the gettin' is good.

kevin1988

Reaction score
I lived in Pedro all of my life, most of my friends are longys. No one knew what to expect during this pandemic or how the world was going to handle what was coming. China imports probably 80% of their goods to the USA, we export about 20% to them. 20 something ships in our harbor waiting to be offloaded is nothing, China has 200+ waiting to be offloaded and loaded back to go all over the world. China shut down, everything was put on hold and it spread like a spider web thru the whole world affecting businesses, jobs. Now businesses can't get employees to come back to work! Now that China has ramped up again, ships are being loaded over there to come here. Some of the problems are that they don't have anywhere to put the empty cans, there's no room to put the cans that just landed. Truckers? I've never seen so many container trucks on the 710 FWY that I was on today, I think I was the only pick-up truck going north from the harbor. They just elevated 600 Casual workers out of the casual hall to be Identified Casuals to go to the big hall. Now that there aren't enough casuals at their hall, the job count cycled down there a couple of days ago, meaning there were no more casuals to fill the job tickets to go to work. People who are on the list to be called to go thru the process to become casual will get called. Right now a casual worker could probably get 6 days a week before they bring in new casuals. So, they better get while the gettin' is good.

Not knowing anything about longshoreman other than they unload boats, what's a casual and an identified casual?

gqchris

Reaction score
Not knowing anything about longshoreman other than they unload boats, what's a casual and an identified casual?

Was gonna ask the same thing. I hear the term all the time. But never know the meaning.

I remember banging a “casual” a few years back. She lived in Pedro. Damn she was wild. But it seemed like she was always reporting to the “hall” and bitching about something or another.

Last edited:

nowski

Reaction score
All of those ships are sitting empty awaiting to be loaded with American goods to take back to China. It's going to be a long wait.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
All of those ships are sitting empty awaiting to be loaded with American goods to take back to China. It's going to be a long wait.
I thought those ships were
Sitting outside Long Beach were loaded with goods waiting to be uploaded. I can't see them all being loaded with empty containers.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
go look in Wilmington there’s a mountain of containers. They charge that much because it’s become trendy.

I don’t blame owner operators not wanting to haul in CA.

the problem is that the port will only allow union truckers to operate. It’s a long time running deal which ultimately forced the trains out of the port. Think how dumb it is to unload a container from the ship, onto a truck, drive it10 miles up the 710 to a train loading facility to be moved around the US.

imagine if they allowed private or even hell those hotshot guys would haul anything if they could….

This should go into the Professionals ripping people off thread :)

Taboma

Reaction score
I think this is all a Chinese conspiracy, driven by Trump's having booted the Chinese out of owning LA Port Operations in 19' after Obama allowed them to purchase it in 12'.
Clearly Trump's fault. 😂

Backlash

Reaction score
I would imagine the outrageous costs for retrofitting the diesel trucks to meet the CARB mandates put a dent on the trucking industry. Much like it did in the logging industry up north. Dont know for sure, but I'm sure that didnt help matters. When I went fishing a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe all the ships sitting offshore. I've lived and fished in CA for 30 years and have never seen anything like that.

DWC

Reaction score
These were from Monday. It’s unbelievable how many are out there.
C2BB8481-D32C-475D-88B1-403B28CBBDCE.jpeg
3739527D-CD8E-47AD-BC19-8809BB5F8EF7.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I would imagine the outrageous costs for retrofitting the diesel trucks to meet the CARB mandates put a dent on the trucking industry. Much like it did in the logging industry up north. Dont know for sure, but I'm sure that didnt help matters. When I went fishing a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe all the ships sitting offshore. I've lived and fished in CA for 30 years and have never seen anything like that.
It's not even so much a retrofit deal anymore. To enter the port, you need a certain year or newer. If your truck is registered in Cali, it has to be newer than a certain year, but not new as the port mandate. There are some decent deals on "older" semis that would be great RV/toterhome setups.

C-2

Reaction score
I saw it on the news too, exactly the same as discussed here; $3K to $20K per container price increase.

calkid

Reaction score

Run a few railroad tracks all the way to the port and unload directly onto the trains then. They say the Mega container ships carry enough to load around 15 trains each. I'm a little tired of this shit, let's get this Country moving again!

hawgty55

Reaction score
Juatbthe opposite no new contai

Just the opposite no containers coming over. So the one time use and sell are gone and reusing the ones they have instead of selling them.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Run a few railroad tracks all the way to the port and unload directly onto the trains then. They say the Mega container ships carry enough to load around 15 trains each. I'm a little tired of this shit, let's get this Country moving again!
This infrastructure already exists. Schedule to run 6 more trains out of there today and have already ran 4.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Someone on here brought it up before but if the Salton sea was made into a port up through Mexico it would sure solve a lot of problems. Absolutely huge undertaking but no problems that haven’t been solved elsewhere. It just contains ALL the problems.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
How does one get in on the casuals labor force? Just show up?

Brian

Reaction score
I saw it on the news too, exactly the same as discussed here; $3K to $20K per container price increase.
I don't understand this? what does the 20K get you? Do you have to purchase the container or something?

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I don't understand this? what does the 20K get you? Do you have to purchase the container or something?
That is just a "delivery" fee. You are essentially renting the container, and paying to have it moved from China to LA.

dspracing

Reaction score
I'm shocked that out of all of RDP there is no one longshoreman head to chime in....

Earlier this year I purchased some reloading supplies from a longshoreman. He had told me that the problem all boiled down to the ability to get the containers out of the port. Because of the chassis hording and train issues, they would set a container down and then move it 3-4 more times before it left. I don't remember the exact details but he then laid out the staggering number of people that it took to move a container, multiply that by 3-4 moves and now you have no labor left to unload the ships and load the trains/trucks.

Taboma

Reaction score
Someone on here brought it up before but if the Salton sea was made into a port up through Mexico it would sure solve a lot of problems. Absolutely huge undertaking but no problems that haven’t been solved elsewhere. It just contains ALL the problems.

Now that would be really cool !! 113 miles of canal and enough locks to drop a couple of hundred feet --- or just cut the canal and fill the lake all the way past Indio 🤯
Won't happen in what remains of my lifetime. Wouldn't it be easier to just put a huge port at the Northern Tip of Baja ?

nowski

Reaction score
Win X 3: The current administration should bus all those refugee's (at all of our border towns) to our ports and send them to China on those empty ships. There might even be enough room for a few politicians...

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Already have them. Gotta get trains in to have the power and rolling stock to get them out. Trains are staged all the way back to Chicago lining up to get in to the ports.

RiverRunr

Reaction score
The PMA(Pacific Martime Association) holds a lottery every few years to build a Casual List. The last one held had about 13,000 people on it. The PMA will call up a few hundred People from the list at a time. There are two ways to try and get your name In the lottery. One, obtain an “interest card”(which all current longshoreman get one to hand out). Two, the PMA will place an ad in a few local papers with instructions on what information to send in by a certain deadline.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Looks like my ship docked today..... From what i can tell it arrived on the 17th and moored out for 5 days before docking today.

15.JPG

Reactions: DWC

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
It’s crazy, rumor we’re hearing at work (BNSF Railway) is that there’s no longshoremen due to covid. But I’ve heard rumors they are on a not strike, working bare minimum. We were hearing, that if Gavin won they’d keep it slow and or full strike.
Regardless we are extremely slow right now, and a lot of empty containers headed west back to California.
About 10 RR guys showed up here at motel that work for BNSF to help in Barstow, I was shoot n the shit with them . Lost all respect for them setting in the lobby drinking ultras beer WTF 😩😩😂

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I was in Malibu yesterday and you can see from PCH a line of ships...