WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sopranos fans? today is the day.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm going to see it, been waiting since the film was announced. Not sure if it will be in the theater or on HBO Max. Theater you need proof of vaccination and need to wear a mask. Home, well I can watch naked!

rush1

Reaction score
That's going to be good

sintax

Reaction score
nice! just rewatched the whole series this year in prep for this.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Decided to watch at home with my brother. We'll wait until dark and than watch.................................... Re-watched The Sopranos over the summer for like the fifth time. I kind of wish they did this as a series instead of a movie. But guess it would have been expensive setting up the streets for shooting to look like the early 1970's.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Trailer looks good................................. Getting Chinese take out with my brother. He's a Sopranos fan and we'll watch it together. At least it gets dark earlier now. We'll start it at around 7:30pm.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I'm going to watch it because I'm a huge sopranos fan I'm going to ignore the reviews.

Always enjoyed the theme song and then relaxing and watching the show with no commercials fantastic

oldschool

Reaction score
Just watched it, thought it was really good. It would have been kick ass as a series though.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Watching now. Not reading the thread.

dave29

Reaction score
I subscribe to HBO already. Do I need to also subscribe to HBO Max to get it??

USClb41

Reaction score
I subscribe to HBO already. Do I need to also subscribe to HBO Max to get it??
No, download HBO Max app on your smart TV or Apple TV and then log in using your service provider info..

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Where’s the prickly psychology, the gaspingly funny midnight-black humor, the dimension Chase brought to every corner of a corrosively amoral criminal empire? Two decades ago, The Sopranos proved you could create something truly novelistic on the small screen, helping usher in a supposed golden age of TV by using the freedoms of the format to tell sprawling stories—and develop characters—in a manner not possible on the big screen. It was among the first shows to have armchair pundits wondering if premium cable was the new home of the serious, adult American drama Hollywood had abandoned. The irony of The Many Saints Of Newark is that it seems to make that case all over again: While The Sopranos demonstrated that the tropes of gangster cinema could be reinvigorated through serialized storytelling, filtering them back into a two-hour format leaves only… the tropes.

It might be easier to accept the film on its own terms if its entire emotional appeal, and its dramatic arc, weren’t predicated on a familiarity with the series. The Many Saints Of Newark has a bad case of prequelitis, filling in backstory perhaps better left implied. The cast of characters is a Muppet Babies parade of Sopranos regulars, some more elegantly de-aged than others: While Corey Stoll offers a nicely organic read on the fledgling testiness and insecurity of Uncle Junior, the normally reliable John Magaro—who made his breakthrough in Chase’s first feature, the similarly years-spanning Not Fade Away—does a sketch-comedy caricature of a young Silvio, broadly approximating Steven Van Zandt’s Al-Pacino-by-way-of-Bela-Lugosi mannerisms. And then there’s Vera Farmiga as Tony’s mother, Livia. In an amusingly Oedipal touch, she looks and sounds just like Edie Falco. Yet Saints borders on revisionist in the way it fails to match any understanding of the domineering shadow she supposedly cast over Tony’s childhood. The Sopranos spent multiple years suggesting a Freudian foundation of family dysfunction. You look at Farmiga’s Livia and see little of the conniving manipulation of Nancy Marchand’s iconic villain.

The Many Saints Of Newark ends at the exact moment that it’s getting interesting; by its inconclusive conclusion, you realize that Chase and his HBO financiers are reaching for a new form of serialization, teasing a transformation that only an inevitable sequel can provide. Let’s just say that as abrupt non-endings go, it has nothing on the hard cut to black that once closed this franchise.

nameisbond

Reaction score

Where’s the prickly psychology, the gaspingly funny midnight-black humor, the dimension Chase brought to every corner of a corrosively amoral criminal empire? Two decades ago, The Sopranos proved you could create something truly novelistic on the small screen, helping usher in a supposed golden age of TV by using the freedoms of the format to tell sprawling stories—and develop characters—in a manner not possible on the big screen. It was among the first shows to have armchair pundits wondering if premium cable was the new home of the serious, adult American drama Hollywood had abandoned. The irony of The Many Saints Of Newark is that it seems to make that case all over again: While The Sopranos demonstrated that the tropes of gangster cinema could be reinvigorated through serialized storytelling, filtering them back into a two-hour format leaves only… the tropes.

It might be easier to accept the film on its own terms if its entire emotional appeal, and its dramatic arc, weren’t predicated on a familiarity with the series. The Many Saints Of Newark has a bad case of prequelitis, filling in backstory perhaps better left implied. The cast of characters is a Muppet Babies parade of Sopranos regulars, some more elegantly de-aged than others: While Corey Stoll offers a nicely organic read on the fledgling testiness and insecurity of Uncle Junior, the normally reliable John Magaro—who made his breakthrough in Chase’s first feature, the similarly years-spanning Not Fade Away—does a sketch-comedy caricature of a young Silvio, broadly approximating Steven Van Zandt’s Al-Pacino-by-way-of-Bela-Lugosi mannerisms. And then there’s Vera Farmiga as Tony’s mother, Livia. In an amusingly Oedipal touch, she looks and sounds just like Edie Falco. Yet Saints borders on revisionist in the way it fails to match any understanding of the domineering shadow she supposedly cast over Tony’s childhood. The Sopranos spent multiple years suggesting a Freudian foundation of family dysfunction. You look at Farmiga’s Livia and see little of the conniving manipulation of Nancy Marchand’s iconic villain.

The Many Saints Of Newark ends at the exact moment that it’s getting interesting; by its inconclusive conclusion, you realize that Chase and his HBO financiers are reaching for a new form of serialization, teasing a transformation that only an inevitable sequel can provide. Let’s just say that as abrupt non-endings go, it has nothing on the hard cut to black that once closed this franchise.

I agree with the young Silvo, he was almost unwatchable. At least he wasn't in a lot of scenes. Also think Chase got a little to woke for making a darker Sopranos worthy prequel. As I said: it would have been better as a series.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Public service announcement!

Depending on what att wireless plan you have, hbo max is provided for free.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Absolutely on my to do list... that and re-watch the original series. Those shows were so great!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I dunno, i think it missed the mark big time. They spent probably half the movie following this guy Harold who is only tangentially associated with the Soprano/Moltisanti crew. In the end his storyline really had nothing to do with the plot.

They burned all this time on this guy and we got jack shit about Paulie, Silvio, and Big Pussy. The 3 main supporting roles of the series. I mean when the introduced Pussy they literally said "This is Pussy, but not like that hah ahah aha" and that was is it, and was pretty much the last you saw of him. They did spend a decent amount of time on Silvio but he was the worst interpretation of all the characters they could have chosen to focus on. The guy that did Paulie was pretty good. I don't think we got enough about Junior either.

I guarantee the writers were like "The Sopranos is too white" and so they shoe horned in this entire other story which will be made into a spin off series. Like what if we combine "American Gangster" (The Denzel movie which was excellent) with the Sopranos? GENIUS!!! :rolleyes:

It's almost like there was 2 totally separate stories going on that only touched shallowly in a couple spots, a bunch of screen time that could have been used to focus on the ACTUAL characters from the show and their backstories.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I now have almost zero interest in watching this show. And I'm a big fan of The Sopranos - we watched a number of the re-runs this past week or so - always good watching

nameisbond

Reaction score
The series is much better. The blacks in the storyline was too much. Liked a few things. But overall I was disappointed.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I love it. Watched it three times already. Didn’t love the time wasted on the other story, but I’ll take it. I’ve missed Sopranos for so long, that anything is better than nothing.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
The guy who played Silvio was terrible, he was more like that guy from SNL who did Joe Pesci. He wasn’t hunched over and he didn’t do the mannerisms that Steven Van Zandant did that made his character so memorable.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
The guy who played Silvio was terrible, he was more like that guy from SNL who did Joe Pesci. He wasn’t hunched over and he didn’t do the mannerisms that Steven Van Zandant did that made his character so memorable.

From the above article: "...the normally reliable John Magaro—who made his breakthrough in Chase’s first feature, the similarly years-spanning Not Fade Awaydoes a sketch-comedy caricature of a young Silvio, broadly approximating Steven Van Zandt’s Al-Pacino-by-way-of-Bela-Lugosi mannerisms."

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Yeah i thought so too. In the series Silvio was in his 50s or 60s and he wasn't hunched over, this guy was supposed to be in his 20s and had the mannerisms of a 75 year old.... It's like the actor interpreted Van Zandt's facial expression and applied it to his spine 🤣

nameisbond

Reaction score
Tonight I'm seeing No Time To Die. Hope its good, don't need to see another disappointing movie!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Well, at least one of us went to college.

thmterry

Reaction score
I couldn't watch the whole thing. It never went anywhere. Very disappointed.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
They had so much potential to make something good. Failed to meet expectations.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Well, I watched it and feel like it was not a prequel to the Sopranos.

It was more like a Woke history lesson with a little Mafia thrown in.

Race riots? Focus on blacks in Viet Nam? I just can't connect the dots.

sigh. This shit being forced down our throats may never end.

gqchris

Reaction score
Thanks all for the reviews. Looks like no need to watch it and I definately dont need more “wokeness” in my life!

nameisbond

Reaction score
Its a little too woke to pay for. Wish I waited until it comes on HBO for free.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Its a little too woke to pay for. Wish I waited until it comes on HBO for free.
It is on HBO Max, the HBO streaming service, which is free if you subscribe to HBO.

I downloaded the android APP and cast it to our TV via Chromecast.

Techy and complicated for some, unless your TV is new and already has the HBO Max app loaded.

Sharpy

Reaction score
Meh, too slow for me. Seemed more like 2 episodes of a season show. Definitely see the set up for a sequel though. All in all, glad I watched it on the magic box for free.

sirbob

Reaction score
I didn't see this tread before watching last night...

That was the biggest piece of shit woke movie I've ever seen. That would not have been the prequel 5 years ago. That is the movie that HBO said they would fund and probably paid a shit ton to get it made.