WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cargo ships multiplying off Ca Coast

BingerFang

Reaction score
Not a super clear day today for a photo… but on clear days you you can see the ships awaiting port from my porch.

611A36E3-0C17-4E26-9DDE-27CB0A02C636.jpeg

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
probably out there anchored cause the Bluefin fishing is SO good!I would be down
probably out there anchored cause the Bluefin fishing is SO good!I would be down

Not in that harbor, but this is the in-law again. He and his buds killed it again last weekend 100 miles out of San Diego. Went down with him to pick up the processed fish, forgot to take pics of the trays.

Attachments

• BtwqKzmuR1OI4ojaM5jLow.jpg
    BtwqKzmuR1OI4ojaM5jLow.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 0%qhCjO0RA+%VCh7vyADEQ.jpg
    0%qhCjO0RA+%VCh7vyADEQ.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 196

stoker2001

Reaction score
Not in that harbor, but this is the in-law again. He and his buds killed it again last weekend 100 miles out of San Diego. Went down with him to pick up the processed fish, forgot to take pics of the trays.
Fishing Bluefin has been stupid-EPIC as of late😍

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I trailered my boat back and fourth over the new Desmond Howard Bridge and the Vincent Thomas Bridge last Saturday with my Dad and launched out of Cabrillo. Like mentioned here already, it's staggering how high the containers are stacked-up in there . . . . I didn't even realize they could stck them that high on dry land. It honestly looked like small mountains.
Another thing I noticed a couple weeks prior to that while driving my boat through there before the sun came up, was the entire place on the Long Beach side was a complete ghost town. No trucks, trains, forklifts, cranes, operating etc. . . . heck, they even had all the lights turned off at the Pier J and Pier 400 Terminals. Weirdest thing I've ever seen in there. Once the sun came up the place slowly came back to life, but at a very slow pace.

I'm not sure WTF is going on, but my buddy who was with me is a flight mechanic for Fed Ex at LAX said, "They probably don't have anywhere to put the containers, so why take them off the ships"??? . . . . Kinda makes sense, but it's just a guess. I know that entire port 'Normally' runs 24-7, I've been boating/ fishing in that harbor for 30+ years and remember countless nights where the entire place was bustling at 3:00 am non-stop. So to see it a ghost town with so many ships stacked-up outside is so odd to me.

Oh yeah, the amount of lumber piled-up at Pier T in Long Beach is mind-boggling, I looked at it and said, 'Look, there's Fort Knox'. 🤣

boatpi

Reaction score
It’s insane right now and we’ve heard from our freight company this is going to continue until the third quarter of 2022. We’re currently paying $20,000 for a 40 foot container, some people are paying as high as 22,000 as opposed to 3500 just 14 months ago. The wait outside Los Angeles harbor can be as long as three weeks.

trust me everyone, I don’t care what you’re importing are looking to purchase there will be some serious supply disruptions that are about ready to begin and will continue into next year.

it’s a complete shit show and quite frankly I’m not that they can do much about it the Washington is oblivious to anything happening.

remember even water pumps for Chevy pick up trucks come from China we do a lot of import in this country right now since the last administration left I hear from my friends the exports have decreased greatly that causes the price of containers to be booked to go up because they go back to various parts of the Asian throughout the world empty. That further increase the cost of the shipping companies it’s an absolute mess like we’ve never seen before.

Taboma

Reaction score
My cousin brought back around 1000lbs of Bluefin fillets in July. Absolutely insane fishing.

well that couldn't have been inexpensive getting processed :oops: I hope his friends are tossing a few bills in his favorite fishing hat 👍

JDKRXW

Reaction score
It’s insane right now and we’ve heard from our freight company this is going to continue until the third quarter of 2022. We’re currently paying $20,000 for a 40 foot container, some people are paying as high as 22,000 as opposed to 3500 just 14 months ago. The wait outside Los Angeles harbor can be as long as three weeks.

trust me everyone, I don’t care what you’re importing are looking to purchase there will be some serious supply disruptions that are about ready to begin and will continue into next year.

it’s a complete shit show and quite frankly I’m not that they can do much about it the Washington is oblivious to anything happening.

remember even water pumps for Chevy pick up trucks come from China we do a lot of import in this country right now since the last administration left I hear from my friends the exports have decreased greatly that causes the price of containers to be booked to go up because they go back to various parts of the Asian throughout the world empty. That further increase the cost of the shipping companies it’s an absolute mess like we’ve never seen before.

Originally I thought this current backlog situation was a result of all the factory shut downs in China due to C19. Then the Chinese got their shit together and resumed operation at pretty much pre-covid capacity.
North America was 6 months behind in getting our shit back to 'normal'. The Chinese and the steamship lines loaded the pipeline, so full, bigger than normal backlogs began building, and building and building... to where we are today.
Now the problem is - if the congestion is cleared up too quickly - the entire economy is going to crash because of the massive 'warehouse' sitting off all of the west coast ports. LB isn't the only port with massive backlogs.
The only solution to managing this potential crash and bullwhip effect is to taper off the distribution the stuff in all of these massive warehouses, and this is going to take a year or more.

badgas

Reaction score
Those are not empty ships. I see them almost every day and keep saying "get to work and empty the ships this is a phony shortage"

Freind who works on waterfront told last Sunday they were at 68 ships to be unloaded. He said the issue is that the warehouses where the products go can not find anyone to work. Said they are sitting home soaking up the Gov cheese. Was hopeful that those funds are running out.

Another buddy who own a freight company said they have not been able to hire anyone for 4 months.

Sounds like the same story every industtry is going thru

lbhsbz

Reaction score

I spoke with my old boss a couple days ago because one of his suppliers makes something I need.
4 months lead time plus 2-3 months for freight.

Singleton

Reaction score
Those are not empty ships. I see them almost every day and keep saying "get to work and empty the ships this is a phony shortage"

Freind who works on waterfront told last Sunday they were at 68 ships to be unloaded. He said the issue is that the warehouses where the products go can not find anyone to work. Said they are sitting home soaking up the Gov cheese. Was hopeful that those funds are running out.

Another buddy who own a freight company said they have not been able to hire anyone for 4 months.

Sounds like the same story every industtry is going thru

Have a few customers in the distribution game. They are slow playing receiving goods, because they have limited staff to unload and move the stuff around. Then in certain areas, they have a driver issue, but those are manageable. Some are playing with numbers, since they don’t want the goods on the books once received since the delay is moving the product out to stores is a metric tracked by the market.

Taboma

Reaction score
Going to guess not, but that’s his hobby and he’s out all the time. We reap the benefits. :)

I certainly understand the desire for the catching. Owned the boat, fished the boat, fished my buddy's boat --- then one day my lovely wife whispered in my ear ---
" At some point in our marriage, are we going to do anything together ? " Apparently a week here and vacationing on our boat over at Catalina Isl wasn't fullfilling her dance card. Would seem being a fishing widow was not what she felt she'd signed up for --- sold the boat and to Havasu we went.

I couldn't consume that much Blue Fin in five lifetimes, in fact I'm not even a huge fan of Blue Fin, other than the catching --- I'm an Albacore guy, but even more so, Mahi Mahi and Mako Shark.
Enjoy -- that's insane and you might want to have your Mercury level checked. :oops:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
China says Americans keep buying too much of their products. Christmas products already coming out. Slow down!
you mean China is just stocking up their new vacation home,,... one thing is for sure, when china takes over, everyone will be buying from their home country

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Then s
From what i've heard it's because we don't have stuff to fill the containers to go back. Since we been on lockdown and no people working. Theres nothing to export.
Then send those fukers back empty, fuk those guys. You want yore containers back? Come and get them...

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I hear a lot peeps talking about supporting America. You can start by getting rid of those foreign cars and start buying American Made and American Sourced products. There are millions of American Made products out there, just look around and retrain your shopping habits by investing in American products.
We’ll never be free of foreign made products ever again, but we can reduce their need and lessen our dependence on them.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I hear a lot peeps talking about supporting America. You can start by getting rid of those foreign cars and start buying American Made and American Sourced products. There are millions of American Made products out there, just look around and retrain your shopping habits by investing in American products.
We’ll never be free of foreign made products ever again, but we can reduce their need and lessen our dependence on them.

The only two American cars are essentially the Toyota Tundra..and Tesla vehicles...which one are you driving?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Have a few customers in the distribution game. They are slow playing receiving goods, because they have limited staff to unload and move the stuff around. Then in certain areas, they have a driver issue, but those are manageable. Some are playing with numbers, since they don’t want the goods on the books once received since the delay is moving the product out to stores is a metric tracked by the market.

The Ukrainian chick who I deal with on flooring and cabinets plays that game...she'll leave shit sitting there on the ground over numbers. I've known her a long time..have many mutual friends and I can tell every time I talk to her she is "panicked," and they are just adapting like the rest of us. The incompetence in Washington will come to a head soon and were all going to suffer for it.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
We'd be fucked if we had to fight a big war. We would run out of "stuff" and game over.

arch stanton

Reaction score
We'd be fucked if we had to fight a big war. We would run out of "stuff" and game over.
not game over when you run out of things to fight a conventual war you have to go nuclear then it's game over just one more button to push

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Cargo Delays Are Getting Worse, but California Ports Still Rest on Weekends
U.S. shipping operations remain clogged as ports, truckers and warehouses can’t find enough workers or agree on 24/7 operations
Sorry WSJ requires subscription but you get the drift...

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Article worth skimming - lots of info and pics including issues with US labor shortages...

Dozens of ships are forced to anchor off coast of New York as they wait to dock in the country's second-largest port - adding to US supply chain crunch which has forced FedEx to reroute 600k packages a day
  • Nearly two dozen cargo ships and oil tankers are waiting to berth off the south shore of Long Island on Saturday as surge of imports and short-staffed ports have caused a logjam sea
  • Earlier this year, Port of New York and New Jersey became the second busiest port in the country behind Los Angeles, according to recent shipping data
  • Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach, which normally moves 40% of containers in US, has 62 cargo ships waiting to dock, satellite images show
  • Backup brought on by a combination of it being peak shipping period and a pandemic-induced buying boom and labor shortage
  • The ports serve as the entry point for a third of imports to the US, and are the main import point for goods coming from China
  • FedEx announced that about 25 per cent of packages going into it shipping hubs, like the one in Portland, Oregon, are being diverted
  • The hubs are operating with 65 per cent of their usual staff as the shipping company struggles against the national labor shortage
  • Costco announced Thursday it was bringing back limits on purchases of items like toilet paper, paper towels and bottled water
  • Transportation issues are causing delays in deliveries to stores despite suppliers having enough stock
  • Pandemic-driven port congestion and labor shortages have forced retail chains including Costco to spend more on transportation
By ARIEL ZILBER and SNEJANA FARBEROV and JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 21:34 EDT, 25 September 2021 | UPDATED: 22:31 EDT, 25 September 2021

More than two dozen container ships appear to be stuck at sea miles off the south shore of Long Island, according to a maritime traffic monitoring website as more than 60 vessels wait to dock at two of the country’s largest ports on the West Coast.

The logjam at the nation's three busiest ports comes as the economy reels from a supply chain crunch which as been exacerbated by a shortage of truck drivers. The situation has deteriorated to the point where supermarkets have been unable to stock their shelves with products while FedEx has had to reroute hundreds of thousands of packages.

MarineTraffic, the global ship tracking site, shows cargo ships and oil tankers clustered just a few miles off of the coastline that stretches from Long Beach in the west to Lido Beach and Jones Beach Island in the east.

As of 9pm local time, the ships appear to have remained in place for hours.

The Port of New York and New Jersey appears to be beset by the same congestion caused by the surge in imports that has created a massive logjam of shipping containers waiting to berth in the waters of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

DailyMail.com has reached out to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey seeking comment.

Some two dozen container ships appear to be stuck at sea miles off the south shore of Long Island. MarineTraffic, the global ship tracking site, shows cargo ships and oil tankers clustered just a few miles off of the coastline that stretches from Long Beach in the west to Lido Beach and Jones Beach Island in the east

Some two dozen container ships appear to be stuck at sea miles off the south shore of Long Island. MarineTraffic, the global ship tracking site, shows cargo ships and oil tankers clustered just a few miles off of the coastline that stretches from Long Beach in the west to Lido Beach and Jones Beach Island in the east
The May 2021 image above shows the CMA CGM Marco Polo arriving at the Port of New York and New Jersey. The port surpassed Long Beach, California as the second busying port in the United States earlier this year

The May 2021 image above shows the CMA CGM Marco Polo arriving at the Port of New York and New Jersey. The port surpassed Long Beach, California as the second busying port in the United States earlier this year

The New York area has not been immune to the supply chain crunch that is affecting the American economy.

John Catsimatidis, the owner of the Gristedes grocery chain, says that his stores have experienced shortages in Coca-Cola products.

'We have shortages in our New York stores because Coca-Cola, they can't get truck drivers to deliver into New York City,' he told Fox Business.

'And it's a serious problem.'

Earlier this summer, New York and New Jersey surpassed Long Beach as the second biggest port in the country. Los Angeles is the largest port in the US.

In June, LA recorded 467,763 TEU of imports. TEU, or twenty-foot equivalent unit, is a unit of measurement used to determine cargo capacity for container ships and terminals.

The port of NY/NJ saw a 47.8 percent year-on-year increase in June. It recorded 390,169 TEU, according to The Load Star.

The increased activity at the ports is a result of the surge in imports driven by demand for consumer goods that Americans are eager to buy after the end of coronavirus-related lockdowns.

The enormous demand doesn’t appear to be showing any signs of slowing down in the near future, according to analysts.

Earlier on Saturday, a satellite image captured more than 60 container ships that are stuck waiting to dock outside the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach as a massive supply chain crunch hits the United States.

The extraordinary sight of vessels unable to berth is due in part because of a massive backlog that has been caused by a sudden surge in American buying ahead of the holiday season.

The number of ships that are currently anchored outside the major ports, which moves 40 percent of containers in the United States, has tripled over the course of the past two months to 62.

The Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach currently has 62 cargo ships waiting to dock

The Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach currently has 62 cargo ships waiting to dock
Pandemic-driven port congestion and labor shortages have forced retail chains including Costco to spend more on transportation. Cargo ships are pictured on September 20 waiting to dock at traffic-clogged Los Angeles ports

Pandemic-driven port congestion and labor shortages have forced retail chains including Costco to spend more on transportation. Cargo ships are pictured on September 20 waiting to dock at traffic-clogged Los Angeles ports
48344893-10027271-image-a-28_1632551059202.jpg

The west coast ports serve as the entry point for a third of imports to the US, and are the main import point for goods coming from China
In an aerial view, container ships are anchored by the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles as they wait to offload on September 20

In an aerial view, container ships are anchored by the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles as they wait to offload on September 20
Amid a record-high demand for imported goods and a shortage of shipping containers and truckers, the twin ports are currently seeing unprecedented congestion

Amid a record-high demand for imported goods and a shortage of shipping containers and truckers, the twin ports are currently seeing unprecedented congestion
Lines are now at their longest since the start of the pandemic.

The backup at the country's busiest port complex has been brought on by a pandemic-induced buying boom, coupled with a labor shortage that has overwhelmed the port workforce, according to port officials say.

The shipping traffic jams come as the US and some other economies are beginning to head towards normalcy and shows how messy the reopening of business is proving to be more than 18 months since the pandemic's onset.

It also shows just how fragile supply chains remain.

The 62 container ships waiting to dock include 42 container ships physically at anchor and 20 in drift areas, according to the Marine Exchange of Southern California, which tracks ship traffic in the area.

The West Coast ports have faced traffic since August, when a then record-breaking 44 container ships were stuck off the coast due to similar disruptions.

The traffic-jam at the ports, which serves as the main entry point for goods coming from China, has even directly impacted the prices for artificial Christmas trees.

The port of Long Beach is now testing out a 24/7 pilot program that would expand the hours for cargo pickup to a time when there is less traffic in the region, allowing for speedier deliveries.

'We are in the midst of an historic surge in cargo, and our terminal operators and other supply chain partners are giving their all to keep it all moving,' Port of Long Beach Executive Director Mario Cordero said in a statement.

'We welcome this pilot project by TTI as a first step toward extending gates to 24/7 operations, and we encourage our cargo owners and trucking partners to give this innovative program a try.'

Container ships are seen sitting out in the Pacific Ocean as they wait to dock at the Port of Los Angeles

Container ships are seen sitting out in the Pacific Ocean as they wait to dock at the Port of Los Angeles
A record number of cargo container ships wait to unload due to the jammed ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach near Long Beach, California, pictured on Wednesday

A record number of cargo container ships wait to unload due to the jammed ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach near Long Beach, California, pictured on Wednesday
48301145-10027271-image-a-34_1632551059259.jpg

Aerial views shows backlog of container ships near LA port
About 40 percent of all cargo containers entering the US pass through the Port of Los Angeles

About 40 percent of all cargo containers entering the US pass through the Port of Los Angeles
Cargo container ships anchored outside the port of Long Beach in mid August, when the number of ships anchored there was 40, the previous record

Cargo container ships anchored outside the port of Long Beach in mid August, when the number of ships anchored there was 40, the previous record
Shipping company FedEx is rerouting more than 600,000 packages a day as it scrambles to cope with the labor shortage plaguing businesses throughout the US.

Raj Subramaniam, chief operating officer at FedEx, announced this week that understaffing problems have caused 'widespread inefficiencies' at the shipping company.

Subramaniam said that major shipping hubs, like the one in Portland, Oregon, are running on '65 percent of the staffing needed to handle its normal volume.'
As a result, the hubs are diverting about 25 per cent of the packages that normally come through, Fox Business News reports.

The FedEx hub in Portland, Oregon, pictured is operating at 65 per cent staff. The issues are causing about 25 percent of packages to be diverted

The FedEx hub in Portland, Oregon, pictured is operating at 65 per cent staff. The issues are causing about 25 percent of packages to be diverted
FedEx is diverting more than 600,000 packages a day due to labor shortages at their shipping hubs. Pictured, the FedEx Shipping Center in Los Angeles, California

FedEx is diverting more than 600,000 packages a day due to labor shortages at their shipping hubs. Pictured, the FedEx Shipping Center in Los Angeles, California
FedEx Chief Operating Officer Raj Subramaniam said the inefficiencies are occurring across the US

FedEx Chief Operating Officer Raj Subramaniam said the inefficiencies are occurring across the US

The diverted packages must then be 'rerouted and processed, which drives inefficiencies in our operations and in turn higher costs,' Subramaniam said.

'These inefficiencies included adding incremental linehaul and delivery routes, meaning more miles driven and higher use of third-party transportation to enable us to bypass Portland entirely.'

FedEx Chief Financial Officer Mike Lenz added that the problems will most likely persist for the rest of the year.

The labor shortages are not only delaying shipments, but also affecting all shopping across the nation.

Shoppers looking to buy anything from electronics to sneakers to automobiles - and even household staples like toilet paper - could be out of luck as retailers face a dire combination of supply chain problems, labor shortages and inflationary pressures with the holiday season fast approaching.

Costco on Thursday said it was reinstating limits on purchases of toilet paper, paper towels and bottled water.

Nike is struggling to find enough shipping containers to deliver its merchandise from overseas.

And General Motors said it would cut production at its plants in Indiana, Missouri and Tennessee this month because of the dearth of microchips. Ford Motor is also reducing truck production.

48347237-10027271-image-a-40_1632551059357.jpg

Prices for a cargo container have skyrocketed from $2,000 two years ago to as much as $25,000 this year

Prices for a cargo container have skyrocketed from $2,000 two years ago to as much as $25,000 this year
Nike has seen transit time of its merchandise being transported from its factories in Asia to the US double because of lack of containers, port congestion and labor shortages

Nike has seen transit time of its merchandise being transported from its factories in Asia to the US double because of lack of containers, port congestion and labor shortages

WhatExit?

Reaction score
article continues...

The moves come as Americans are getting ready to loosen their purse strings and hit the stores ahead of the fall and winter holidays.
A resurgence in COVID-19 cases had led to hoarding of household essentials last year during lockdowns, forcing Costco to put limits on purchases of some household goods.
48352067-10027271-image-a-43_1632551059365.jpg

While there was a shortage of cleaning supplies even last year, transportation issues this year are causing delays in deliveries to stores despite suppliers having plenty of stock, Costco Chief Financial Officer Richard Galanti said in an earnings call.

'A year ago there was a shortage of merchandise,' Galanti said. 'Now they've got plenty of merchandise but there's two- or three-week delays on getting it delivered because there's a limit on short-term changes to trucking and delivery needs of the suppliers, so it really is all over the board.'

The pandemic-driven port congestion and labor shortages have forced retail chains including Costco to spend more on transportation and labor, digging into their margins.

Galanti said the bulk retail chain is placing orders early to restock merchandise. The company also has chartered three ships for 2022 that will transport containers laden with goods between Asia, the US and Canada. Each vessel is capable of carrying 800 to 1,000 containers at a time.

Costco is not alone: the global furniture giant Ikea has purchased its own shipping containers to move merchandise. And like Costco, Walmart has also chartered ships to keep its stores well stocked ahead of the holidays.

Speaking at a conference earlier this month, Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said that supply chain problems and inventory shortages are as severe as he can remember in his 30 years in the business.

In a bid to strengthen it's supply chain, the mega-retailer is looking to hire an additional 20,000 workers to fill full-time and part-time positions in 250 Walmart and Sam's Club stores across the US, reported Fox Business.

Walmart is still facing skyrocketing labor and shipping costs amid supply chain backlogs.

Costco announced on Thursday it was bringing back limits on purchases of items like toilet paper, paper towels and bottled water

Costco announced on Thursday it was bringing back limits on purchases of items like toilet paper, paper towels and bottled water
Facing supply chain woes, Walmart has chartered ships to keep its stores well stocked ahead of the holidays

Facing supply chain woes, Walmart has chartered ships to keep its stores well stocked ahead of the holidays

Costco said it was paying six times for containers and shipping due to price increase on items shipped overseas; up to 8 per cent more for paper goods; as much as 11 per cent for plastic and resin products, including trash bags and cups, and 3 to 10 per cent more for apparel, reported Fox Business.

A 40-foot container cost less than $2,000 to transport goods from Asia to the U.S. two years ago. Today, the service could cost as much as $25,000 if an importer pays a premium for on-time delivery, which is a luxury, according to Bloomberg Businessweek.

Prices also have gone up other popular products, including aluminum foil, soda, meat, oil and coffee.

Due to a severe worldwide computer chip shortage, Galanti warned that customers should expect delays and shortages on appliances and electronics, including computers, tablets and video games.

Galanti estimated that Costco's price inflation for its products is now in the 3.5-4.5 per cent range, which represents an increase from last quarter's estimate of 2.5-3.5 per cent.

The raw materials crunch has been worsened by the latest wave of infections driven by the Delta variant of the coronavirus, primarily in Southeast Asia, as well as by congestion at ports in China.

The multibillion-dollar apparel business has not escaped the squeeze of supply chain problems.

During a recent conference call with analysts, Nike CFO Matt Friend said the brand has seen transit time of its merchandise being transported from its factories in Asia to the US double from 40 days to 80 days because of lack of containers, port congestion and labor shortages.

Friend predicted that inventory shortages will last into 2023 due to lost weeks of production and transit delays, reported Yahoo! Finance.

Domestically, a massive backlog of 62 ships waiting to dock at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, which handle 40 per cent of all containers arriving in the US, which has further exacerbated supply chain woes.

The West Coast ports have faced traffic since August, when a then record-breaking 44 container ships were stuck off the coast due to similar disruptions.

The backup at the country's busiest port complex was brought on by a combination of it being peak shipping period due to the upcoming holiday season and a pandemic-induced buying boom, coupled with a labor shortage that has overwhelmed the port workforce, port officials say.

The traffic-jam at the ports, which serves as the main entry point for goods coming from China, has even directly impacted the prices for artificial Christmas trees.
Balsam Hill, an artificial tree company based in California, is selling its four-and-a-half-foot tall Grand Canyon Cedar Tree for $499 this year. That is $199 more than the same tree cost in 2020 - a two-thirds increase in price in just 12 months.

Supply chain headaches are impacting other industries as well, including home construction. In an article published by Bloomberg Businessweek last week, RoxAnne Thomas, logistics manager for the Illinois-based Gerber Plumbing Fixtures LLC, described struggling to find free containers to transport bathroom equipment from China and Mexico to the US, and dealing with massive delays.

Bloomberg reported that about 25 million containers are in use worldwide, carrying goods aboard 6,000 ships.

The world's top 10 shipping companies control 85 per cent of global freight capacity.

Thomas predicted that at this rate, the issues with supply chains and shortages could last well into 2023.

To help reduce delays for ships, the southern California ports are working with the Biden administration and the transportation department, Long Beach mayor Robert Garcia announced on Twitter.

The traffic-jam at the ports has directly impacted the prices for artificial Christmas trees

The traffic-jam at the ports has directly impacted the prices for artificial Christmas trees
Balsam Hill, an artificial tree company based in California, is selling its four-and-a-half-foot tall Grand Canyon Cedar Tree for $499 this year, up from $300 last year

Balsam Hill, an artificial tree company based in California, is selling its four-and-a-half-foot tall Grand Canyon Cedar Tree for $499 this year, up from $300 last year
The port of Long Beach is testing out a 24/7 pilot program that would expand the hours for cargo pickup to a time when there is less traffic in the region, allowing for speedier deliveries.

Meanwhile, shares in Costco, which beat market expectations for quarterly revenue on strong demand for fresh foods, snacks, household items and jewelry, were up about 1 per cent after the closing bell on Thursday.

People returning to social events and outdoor activities following the rollout of vaccines has boosted demand for sporting goods and jewelry at Costco stores and helped offset some of the slowdown in sales of groceries following last year's lockdown-induced panic buying.

Costco's total revenue rose to $62.68 billion in the fourth quarter from $53.38 billion a year earlier. Analysts on average had expected revenue of $61.30 billion, according to IBES data from Refinitiv.

Joe mama

Reaction score
I must be the only one not stashing money away just waiting to spend it. Higher cost of shit has me spending more all year.

Mark G

Reaction score
I've never seen anything like it. Used to be 5 or 6 at the most. Everywhere you look there's a ship at anchor for miles.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

There was a discussion in another thread about this.. The price of essentially everything has already been creeping up...its going to get much more noticeable shortly.. The average idiot doesn't have a clue what's coming.

There should have been a jones act suspension done to ease some of this mess...but I doubt that happens.

riverroyal

Reaction score
But ......what about the added polution with these ships idling off shore. Are they smogged. Are they electric?

Im watching the US open in Huntington. You can a bunch off shore.

stoker2001

Reaction score

boatpi

Reaction score
The word is a container from Asia could increase to as much as $30,000 or more by next May. Amount of money the shipping company is making is absolutely scandalous. 16 months ago it was $3500.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
The word is a container from Asia could increase to as much as $30,000 or more by next May. Amount of money the shipping company is making is absolutely scandalous. 16 months ago it was $3500.

There is NO WAY A Container will increase to that Amount, OR There will be no Shipping. I can't imagine any company needs/wants a product that bad. The cost Pass On would eliminate any Purchases.

samsah33

Reaction score
There's a couple of fun websites out there that will display the locations of all commercial vessels on the h2o at any given time, even on the Great Lakes and the Mississippi. Pretty interesting stuff, can zoom into the area outside of LA...:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Reading and listening to people that know a lot more than I don't expect this is going to clean up for awhile.
This is not a problem with a singular cause. If we had more container ports, (we don't) to get the ships in we would need more longshoremen to work the shifts, (we don't have enough in the locals to work 3 shifts, or willing to do weekends) if we had the longshoremen they would have no place to stack the damn containers because the "parking lot" for containers is full...look at the overheads. We don't have the room.
If there were enough trucks ( we don't have them, in Ca specifically look to CARB for outlawing trucks) we would need drivers...we are short of drivers...
If we had the drivers and trucks we are short the chassis to drop the containers on to run them out of the port. The trains...well I suspect we could get more trains on the lines out of the ports..but that is only one cog in the wheel...and the railroads are their own little world in the US.

We have created this last minute delivery system of goods sourced from overseas which has been growing like crazy after 2008, and then got set back big time with the covid, then the demand skyrocketed again...there just isn't that much flexibility in the system, and there are not enough ports along the coasts with the infrastructure to grow the ground transport. If one piece of the puzzle has a screw up they work around it. We have many pieces of the puzzle screwed up, and all of the players pointing fingers while some are lining their pockets.

We have created this mess with our insatiable appetite for cheap stuff from overseas. The vulnerability of our economy, and of the worlds' economy, on China and Asia in general is scary. If this thing gets firing on all cylinders again I think it would be a huge error to not evaluate the viability of trying to rebuild American manufacturing. We are going to pay through the nose for shipping for a very long time, we may as well look at putting that $ back in our own pocket...because, as has been said, our vulnerability economically is also a huge national security risk.

It will take political willpower and a huge push at DC to pull back on the absurdity of some of the regulations that helped drive American manufacuring out of here all those years ago, but until people really feel the hurt you won't see this...and that is what I am afraid of. People in general don't pay enough attention to the big picture...until the cheap ass chinese hook they hung the picture on falls and hits their toes, no one gives a damn.

Right now it is postulated that about 10% of all the containers in the system are on a ship somewhere in the world waiting to be unloaded. At some point that number will rise to a place where they run out of boxes to put the rubber dog shit in, and when that happens....well..who knows.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So let me make sure I understand this correctly, the causes are:

- Pandemic buying boom
- Busy shipping season in general
- Labor shortage at the ports, so longer unloading times

Did I get that right?

arch stanton

Reaction score
That article is good but there are a few interesting details that are left out
1 the average wait time for a container ship to unload at Long Beach or La is 9 days up from a normal max of 4 days
2 there are more ships waiting to unload because companies like Costco and Home Depot have charted smaller ships than than would normally arrive at Long Beach to save money and regain dependability they chartered ships that carry less than 1000 containers the more normal ship that arrives at Long Beach hold between 10,000 and 14,000 containers the actual number of container unloading has gone up very little.
3 About 2 months ago 2 railroad companies both had more than 20 miles of train cars waiting to unload in Chicago there was just no space to unload. The Railroads suspended hauling out of Long Beach for 2 weeks I believe they are back to running
4 Just today I was talking to a long Shoreman that said the truck shortage was due to the CARB rules in California keeping out of state trucks that don't comply with the California laws that used to haul from the ports. But I can look for loads online at truckstop.com and there is very few loads listed to go anywhere using containers or intermodal trailers it could be the containers are unloaded into vans and shipped that way ,there are lots of van loads on the load boards but not as many as I thought there would be.
5 In the last 2 weeks the price of shipping a container from china has gone down maybe 10% on average the analyst don't agree if this is temporary or if rates may continue downward because China has gotten serious about carbon emission and has started cutting of power for 2 to 3 days a week and the manufactures may have to leave china for somewhere else, if the power outages continue there will be no ships waiting to unload in Long Beach in about 2 mouths.

Last edited:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
1 the average wait time for a container ship to unload at Long Beach or La is 9 days up from a normal max of 4 days
2 there are more ships waiting to unload because companies like Costco and Home Depot have charted smaller ships than than would normally arrive at Long Beach to save money and regain dependability they chartered ships that carry less than 1000 containers the more normal ship that arrives at Long Beach hold between 10,000 and 14,000 containers the actual number of container unloading has gone up very little.
3 About 2 months ago 2 railroad companies both had more than 20 miles of train cars waiting to unload in Chicago there was just no space to unload. The Railroads suspended hauling out of Long Beach for 2 weeks I believe they are back to running
4 Just today I was talking to a long Shoreman that said the truck shortage was due to the CARB rules in California keeping out of state trucks that don't comply with the California laws that used to haul from the ports. But I can look for loads online at truckstop.com and there is very few loads listed to go anywhere using containers or intermodal trailers it could be the containers are unloaded into vans and shipped that way ,there are lots of van loads on the load boards but not as many as I thought there would be.
5 In the last 2 weeks the price of shipping a container from china has gone down maybe 10% on average the analyst don't agree if this is temporary or if rates may continue downward because China has gotten serious about carbon emission and has started cutting of power for 2 to 3 days a week and the manufactures may have to leave china for somewhere else, if the power outages continue there will be no ships waiting to unload in Long Beach in about 2 mouths.

They probably left out the part about the railroads suspending hauling out of LB because it's flat out not true. Trains have been running into and out of LB nonstop.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
There was no toilet paper or paper towels in the Henderson Costco on Sunday..I did score a 12.9” iPad at the apple store but no iPhone 13 pro max…they had 3 and were gone in 10 minutes the lady who waited on me said. They only get a couple at a time.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
So let me make sure I understand this correctly, the causes are:

- Pandemic buying boom
- Busy shipping season in general
- Labor shortage at the ports, so longer unloading times

Did I get that right?

Labor Shortage @ The Ports? You Can't be serious. Maybe there is some "GRUNT" workers/Jobs but those Union Jibs are "LEGACY" and No Shortage there, The Work Schedule is NOT 24-& for some Very Odd Reason.

Everyone is Pointing Fingers, Not enough Trucks is another one. I swear this Country, Now is Not One Thing it's becoming like California = It's "Everything"

It's a "TAD" Late for that Speech.:rolleyes:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get a US foundry to cast brake calipers for me…no talk of min quantity, no talk of price, just “can you do this so I can avoid China”…they don’t even want to see my prints.

Got any other ideas?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get a US foundry to cast brake calipers for me…no talk of min quantity, no talk of price, just “can you do this so I can avoid China”…they don’t even want to see my prints.

Got any other ideas?
This place a part for me. Not sure if they can do what you need.

Xring01

Reaction score
Honestly what could go wrong if you shut down the global supply chain due to CV19????

Maybe a Global Supply Chain failure???? Maybe... Just guessing here.

You have to look at any supply chain at its entirety, to truly understand the complexities involved.
Then consider the "back up plans" when you run out of real estate to store goods when massive orders come in. There is no back up plan. Ports are at capacity due to the real estate they have. They can only move so much at one time, due to the real estate they have. PERIOD. Just because you can bring more ships to port, doesnt mean you have space for the containers.

This is not a problem that will not go away overnight, it will take time, it will take considerable efforts.

But I truly hope that the U.S. Gov and U.S. Companies, re evaluate there supply chains, and make changes to have a domestic supplier as a backup.

In the past, Corporations sought out the "Low Cost Country" for goods, based on the economics of "On Time Delivery", to reduce the stock of goods they kept on hand, which reduced the amount of employees and warehouse space needed. (Making them more profitable because they lowered expenses). We are now seeing the faults of those business decisions.

boatpi

Reaction score
Business and money magazine did in investigation recently there are excellent articles there’s many many factors that caused this. That’s having to do specifically with the amount of containers coming in the price is basically extortion by the shipping lines pure and simple.

As to a comment above about not buying anything from China imports I can only speak to our business which is the importation of aluminum finished products.

Want to comes to aluminum North America can only produce 43% of the material needed this is a fact it’s indisputable. Are used to be more but our demand for Aluminum Primero in the automotive industry for sheet panels and framework has driven the need for high-end aluminum alloy up over the last few years which is not a bad thing it’s a good thing.

There’s a few things going on in the aluminum industry in the southwest United States most interestingly we learned just last week there’s a shortage of billet so two major mills are shut down and the employees laid off because I don’t have the aluminum to push through a die and press. My wife has been in the industry 30 years, she has never heard of anything like this.

We discovered this since we started and currently is high shipping cost we are reaching out to local extruders we actually need a source for about two or 3,000,000 pounds a year, we sell two or three times that.

After several weeks of investigating we realize we’re going to go nowhere with USA suppliers either can’t do it there at capacity they don’t need new customers because they just don’t wanna deal with new vendors and leave their current customers short.

So we stick to the plan we’ve always had imported from Indonesia which is an excellent country very experienced in aluminum production, and a democratic nation. It’s the least expensive country to produce a high-quality alloy with many different metals within it including titanium and a little bit of silver for the products that we produce. Not to mention the coatings that we have done, everything from anodization to a high end powder coating.

Through this process in addition our employees in two states, we have other new distributors and other states that employ people and of course the contractors well over 200 of them now. They buy our products throughout the southwest and employ many Americans in this outdoor shade structure industry.

Our best interest sources tell us it’s going to continue through the second quarter of next year in pricing and then the slow down in the delivery.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Business and money magazine did in investigation recently there are excellent articles there’s many many factors that caused this. That’s having to do specifically with the amount of containers coming in the price is basically extortion by the shipping lines pure and simple.

As to a comment above about not buying anything from China imports I can only speak to our business which is the importation of aluminum finished products.

Want to comes to aluminum North America can only produce 43% of the material needed this is a fact it’s indisputable. Are used to be more but our demand for Aluminum Primero in the automotive industry for sheet panels and framework has driven the need for high-end aluminum alloy up over the last few years which is not a bad thing it’s a good thing.

There’s a few things going on in the aluminum industry in the southwest United States most interestingly we learned just last week there’s a shortage of billet so two major mills are shut down and the employees laid off because I don’t have the aluminum to push through a die and press. My wife has been in the industry 30 years, she has never heard of anything like this.

We discovered this since we started and currently is high shipping cost we are reaching out to local extruders we actually need a source for about two or 3,000,000 pounds a year, we sell two or three times that.

After several weeks of investigating we realize we’re going to go nowhere with USA suppliers either can’t do it there at capacity they don’t need new customers because they just don’t wanna deal with new vendors and leave their current customers short.

So we stick to the plan we’ve always had imported from Indonesia which is an excellent country very experienced in aluminum production, and a democratic nation. It’s the least expensive country to produce a high-quality alloy with many different metals within it including titanium and a little bit of silver for the products that we produce. Not to mention the coatings that we have done, everything from anodization to a high end powder coating.

Through this process in addition our employees in two states, we have other new distributors and other states that employ people and of course the contractors well over 200 of them now. They buy our products throughout the southwest and employ many Americans in this outdoor shade structure industry.

Our best interest sources tell us it’s going to continue through the second quarter of next year in pricing and then the slow down in the delivery.

Yeah, I can see that it would be hard to get in with an extruder about now. The good ones are certainly having their issues right now. Our suppliers went from the standard 6 week turn around time to 6 months over the last 20 months. FIrst it was that they did not have the workers then they did not have the billet. There are hundreds of purchase orders out and their comment is your are not going to get all of it soon so which ones did you want first? Bummer to hear that there is another shut down because of the lack lack of billet. This was the case about 6 months ago.

It might be good for you to bite the bullet and put in an order with the US extruders to get a place in line at some point with perhaps something closer to home.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Honestly what could go wrong if you shut down the global supply chain due to CV19????

Maybe a Global Supply Chain failure???? Maybe... Just guessing here.

You have to look at any supply chain at its entirety, to truly understand the complexities involved.
Then consider the "back up plans" when you run out of real estate to store goods when massive orders come in. There is no back up plan. Ports are at capacity due to the real estate they have. They can only move so much at one time, due to the real estate they have. PERIOD. Just because you can bring more ships to port, doesnt mean you have space for the containers.

This is not a problem that will not go away overnight, it will take time, it will take considerable efforts.

But I truly hope that the U.S. Gov and U.S. Companies, re evaluate there supply chains, and make changes to have a domestic supplier as a backup.

In the past, Corporations sought out the "Low Cost Country" for goods, based on the economics of "On Time Delivery", to reduce the stock of goods they kept on hand, which reduced the amount of employees and warehouse space needed. (Making them more profitable because they lowered expenses). We are now seeing the faults of those business decisions.
What about the video posted in the other thread here yesterday of the truck driver waiting in line for 4 hours to load with dozens of other trucks, 4 lanes wide, plenty of trailers stacked up, yet nothing was moving? That doesn't fit the stories we are being told of a truck/driver shortage and it would eliminate most of the storage issues. Really seems like the longshoremen are just choking the fuck out of everything when you loop that video and other first hand accounts into the mix.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
What I don't get, is where there hasn't been any investigative reporting on mainstream media on this. I'd expect there to be some major stories about why its happening, what the problem is, how they're gonna fix it, etc. Seems like it's been crickets. Then again - I don't watch the news much anymore, cause its bullshit lol. But I haven't seen anything pop up anywhere with stories like these. It's like its being completely ignored by both media and government