WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More work pics - a positive note

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
This is all I got, practicing for the exam so to get recertification. Link Belt RT 8040. The cool thing was we only did pick and carry’s at the airport of aircraft. We also did all the rigging.

Attachments

• 851C74FE-9EF0-406C-858D-19C6090124A7.jpeg
    851C74FE-9EF0-406C-858D-19C6090124A7.jpeg
    364.5 KB · Views: 78

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how long does it take someone to get certified to operate that type of crane?...
And also, how long before they are "proficient" and truly good at operating that thing?
Most guys start on smaller stuff and work their way up. And most operate multiple sizes of cranes from small to big. A few months to get comfortable on the smaller stuff assuming one has what it takes to be proficient, and anywhere from a year+ on the big stuff. Some guys have the eye and some dont. And a lot of it depends on the riggers you have working with you.

*former crane operator sharing his opinions*

Good buddy of mine grew up around this stuff. He was operating at 13 since his dad was the foreman. All depends on the circumstances.

Edit: his dad was a badass, and they both passed their certs on first try without issue. You have the skills or you don’t. Getting a feel for the big stuff is hit or miss. The small stuff is quite a bit easier. We did all of the setup and rigging ourselves- no union BS. No disrespect to unions.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Assuming a mining haul truck in a mine. Very common pick out there

View attachment 1063845

Putting up a tower crane at the LDS church in Salt Lake City. These boys always fly old glory View attachment 1063847 View attachment 1063848 View attachment 1063849
Probably 99% of humans would be scared shitless, clinging to that steel.
There are 5 guys hanging out at the edge there, just another day. That is pretty impressive from the human aspect. The fact one giant crane is putting together another is a different type of impressive.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So what's the benefit to shipping them like this? Is it just for transporting to the new owner? In for repair? Etc?
My buddy does heavy haul stuff. He told me two reasons he knew of. First, they aren't real good highway vehicles, in terms of speed and range. The other, as he put it, easier and cheaper to pay a dumb truck driver and pilot cars, than a crane op for distances.

After seeing on with a flat on the corner of Normandie and 3rd a few years back, I'd think it's easier on the owner too. That thing was down all day...I guess they don't come with spares.

HBCraig

Reaction score
So what's the benefit to shipping them like this? Is it just for transporting to the new owner? In for repair? Etc?

I have done this in the past to ship a new crane to the owner so there aren't a bunch of miles logged on the crane. Also, many transportation companies are very proficient on what routes to take and obtaining permits. Some of these are very hard to get as a legal load. That's the last reason.

HBCraig

Reaction score
That is a thing of beauty...

Is that turbo on top really that small? Or is it just dwarfed by the size of that thing?

Probably doesn't need to be too big. I'm gonna guess the torque is all in by 2500 or so.

❤️❤️❤️
It is just small compared to the engine size. It's our engine too, made in house.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Do these drive an actual traditional style, just massively large transmission, drive shaft, and axles? Or is it all hydraulic with a hydraulic motor in the rear axle?
It's all electric. I will grab a schematic from the mining guys

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That is a thing of beauty...

Is that turbo on top really that small? Or is it just dwarfed by the size of that thing?

Probably doesn't need to be too big. I'm gonna guess the torque is all in by 2500 or so.

❤️❤️❤️
I'm guessing those two turbos are BIG! Looks like they feed a supercharger or some industrial chiller? If you look at the rear, looks like twin starters too!

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I'd like to pick up one of these for the old lady to haul kids and groceries 🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The dump truck has it's own substation!
It's kind of like a wheeled locomotive.

Taboma

Reaction score

I guess a couple of things I find so "Unexpected" about that configuration.
1. Modulating engine / alternator speed to control motor voltage and speed.
Expected constant rpm engine and DC speed control.
2. Ac to Dc, then Dc back to AC again.
3. DC to AC for power, then AC back to the DC bus for dynamic braking --- what happens to all that regenerative energy with no apparent battery storage ?
Or did I miss battery storage ?

Very Cool , thanks for sharing 👍👍👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I guess so. I didn't realize. For some reason I thought it was all hydros.
I would think the heat generated at the hydraulic motor would be insane with the tire size. Then again, with planetary sets that big, they're probably close to 100:1?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
3. DC to AC for power, then AC back to the DC bus for dynamic braking --- what happens to all that regenerative energy with no apparent battery storage ?

That is really weird. An alternator inherently puts out AC. Why even bother with a rectifier assy. if the final voltage to the wheel motors is AC?? Maybe to clean up the signal? Is the "stack" really a transformer??

Some mystical shit going on here fo sure. Absolutely f'n amazing.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That is really weird. An alternator inherently puts out AC. Why even bother with a rectifier assy. if the final voltage to the wheel motors is AC?? Maybe to clean up the signal? Is the "stack" really a transformer??

The "Stack", is where they squeeze the unicorn poop into pixies...and the pixies then turn the wheels. Very technical, European design. Like a BMW, have no clue how it works, it's just magic🤣

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The "Stack", is where they squeeze the unicorn poop into pixies...and the pixies then turn the wheels. Very technical, European design. Like a BMW, have no clue how it works, it's just magic🤣

Sure seems like it!

HBCraig

Reaction score

Dude, these are engineering questions. You are losing me, I am an idiot

HBCraig

Reaction score

Holy shit. I can put you in touch with the statics and engineering department if you like. ;)

4Waters

Reaction score

I think like any electric motor/components they want clean power.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think like any electric motor/components they want clean power.
That, and I was thinking about the drives. With the starting load differing so much, I would think these things may be the biggest VFD setups I've ever seen.

Weird to think the technology involved, on a dump truck.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That, and I was thinking about the drives. With the starting load differing so much, I would think these things may be the biggest VFD setups I've ever seen.

Weird to think the technology involved, on a dump truck.
Or is the speed control happening when it's in DC? More efficient to control the power there than a VFD? Maybe? I dunno.

Taboma

Reaction score
Dude, these are engineering questions. You are losing me, I am an idiot

Oh good, then you saved me the embarrassment, if even only unto myself, of my heading spinning up, when presented with the Mystical Engineering answer. 🤣
I will be satisfied to remain in the "State of Awe" the mystery provides. 😁