WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Official Key West Site And Photo Thread

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about that on the flight home, this is the first time in 7 years i have taken a boat, it totally depends on who you go with but this trip and crew trying to get a bill was damn near impossible, I drank a lot less this trip then previous trips since i was driving, and really didn't stay out as late as in the past. You can save money in a lot of ways ( like anywhere) but being near Duval street is worthwhile in my opinion
Its still an expensive week, I think being realistic for a couple with no boat you should budget $10k as mentioned before, with a boat depending on distance traveled you could be looking at $20k, and that again is not trying to be frugal, also i think this is one if not the most expensive week to go, new years might be more

If you can, the run down from miami should be on every ones bucket list, There will be a video coming out from
Dave that will show some of the highlights, its a long day on the boat but still very worthwhile,
Dan Sorry we didnt Catch Up....Lots to see and Crowds where Crazy...Hope you got the shirts...

Clank123

Reaction score
Raced into his 80s. Nothing better than walking down the sidewalk on a Sunday afternoon @Ventura Harbor POPRA race and say hello to Bob Nordskog,standing next to Bob,Reggie Fountain.

ano View attachment 1067130 View attachment 1067131 View attachment 1067132
I had to chuckle when Dave mentioned that 95% of people on here wouldn’t know who he was. I’ll bet it’s higher than that.
I sat with a good friend of mine today that, among other things he’s done in life, was Nordskog’s crew chief for a period of time when he was racing the Viking Spirit in the endurance races. Over the years he has told me some hilarious stories about those days. Bob was one of a kind for sure.
I had the pleasure of restoring one of the Nordskog boats about 15 or so years ago. Talk about a purpose built boat.
Every inch of them was designed for the abuse of enduro racing right down to the one off transom to keep the water from coming over during refilling with fuel on the trailer to stringers that went from full width to about 12 inches wide at the vdrive to re-enforce the bow and the pounding it takes.
The stringers were wetted and put in a mold that they parked a truck on top of overnight to get them to bend.
Just a cool old piece of history!
DD289E90-BB02-46EE-845D-70D252D4A088.jpeg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I had to chuckle when Dave mentioned that 95% of people on here wouldn’t know who he was. I’ll bet it’s higher than that.
I sat with a good friend of mine today that, among other things he’s done in life, was Nordskog’s crew chief for a period of time when he was racing the Viking Spirit in the endurance races. Over the years he has told me some hilarious stories about those days. Bob was one of a kind for sure.
I had the pleasure of restoring one of the Nordskog boats about 15 or so years ago. Talk about a purpose built boat.
Every inch of them was designed for the abuse of enduro racing right down to the one off transom to keep the water from coming over during refilling with fuel on the trailer to stringers that went from full width to about 12 inches wide at the vdrive to re-enforce the bow and the pounding it takes.
The stringers were wetted and put in a mold that they parked a truck on top of overnight to get them to bend.
View attachment 1067230
I always loved that boat. Amazing build!

cofooter

Reaction score
View attachment 1067230
The more compound curves the stronger it is! Cool story!

Tank

Reaction score
I stored our last cigarette in Bob and Jerry’s warehouse in Oxnard for a while. Amazing history in there!! Boats, trophy’s, articles, boxes of Nordskog gauges and other products and of course cases and cases filled with copies of every powerboat magazine ever published. Really cool place.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I remember someone saying I have your shirts. humm
yeah sorry we missed each other. turns out that a lot of people I expected to see I missed.

I got the bag.. it’s all xxl and xl. I checked it went we dropped it off at the room. We gotta do some exchanges with old lucky strike.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 1067230

When I first started this gig I had a lot of people ask me.. “what’s your goal?”

I told em.. “I dunno to be Bob Nordskog”

It was all blank stairs.. that was 15 years ago. Lol.

Guy had a pair of balls for sure.. and had product lines.

If I go full tilt this year we aren’t far off rdp gauges. 🤨😳🤨

Doesn’t matter ten years later nobody will remember.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
When I first started this gig I had a lot of people ask me.. “what’s your goal?”

Are you going to design/engineering them or more like re-branding them? (The gauges)

TeamGreene

Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score
If any of you still have a secret Face Book account you don't tell your internet buddy's about. ;)
His son has a tribute page with some really cool boats and great content.

A couple of trophies won, I suppose that's why Bob is in the Motorsports Hall of Fame.

Bob Nordskog Facebook.JPG

Taboma

Reaction score
Eric Nordskog in July shared the contents of Bob's hanger up at Big Bear. Besides the yellow Bi-Plane, there's the ET-5 Parker Enduro Tunnel ( Which Eric reported in Oct was for sale !!! )and in the background of the video this pic was taken from --- there's the current resting place of Bob's rather famous 1941 (Edit --- son reports it as a 1943 ? ) Mandella that's been written about before here on RDP by Denny (Skyskier) and I believe it was Mr. TwoCents, Bob Brown -- or was it Harlan Orrin ??? 🤔

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack the KW thread, but, well, because I think Dave's got a bit of a hill still to climb to get where he seems to think he's almost at. 🥴

BN KT-5.JPG

BN Mandella.JPG

Last edited:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score

1st up I will apologize for derailing the KW thread. Thanks for all of the coverage etc.

RD, I appreciate your forums and I've learned a fair amount on here over the years. I've met some great life-long friends on here. I appreciate your work getting boating information out to us.

I'm no history expert. Looking at Bob Nordskogs accomplishments over a truly amazing lifetime in the boating industry he was a LEGEND!!!
It absolutely AMAZES me that you could compare yourself in ANY way shape or form to him. That is truly comical to me. Just this past weekend you took a nap on a badass boat while boating in paradise. A few summers ago you destroyed your leg attempting to get across a few boats. I am beyond words to hear you compare yourself to a legend.
Once again, I truly enjoy these forums. If I get banned for my opinions so be it......

Dana757

Reaction score
I just binged read this. Everything about this thread is bitchen to me!! Nice to see how the poor people boat. ha!! :D
If RD identifies as Bob N who am I to judge?? lol Actually I took it as someone he really looks up to as a role model.
But really, thanks y'all for sharing and giving the rest of us a glimpse of what it's like.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Are you going to design/engineering them or more like re-branding them? (The gauges)

He did a lot more stuff then gauges! He ran magazines put on races that he raced in (some humorous stories about that) etc.. it was just a question someone asked me a long times ago and that was the answer I gave.

On a side note though I jist bought one of Roys Haas VF2’s for my garage so ya never know what might be coming. ;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I just binged read this. Everything about this thread is bitchen to me!! Nice to see how the poor people boat. ha!! :D
If RD identifies as Bob N who am I to judge?? lol Actually I took it as someone he really looks up to as a role model.
But really, thanks y'all for sharing and giving the rest of us a glimpse of what it's like.

I am in NO WAY comparing myself to Bob N. Those are way to big of shoes to fill. Lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
1st up I will apologize for derailing the KW thread. Thanks for all of the coverage etc.

RD, I appreciate your forums and I've learned a fair amount on here over the years. I've met some great life-long friends on here. I appreciate your work getting boating information out to us.

I'm no history expert. Looking at Bob Nordskogs accomplishments over a truly amazing lifetime in the boating industry he was a LEGEND!!!
It absolutely AMAZES me that you could compare yourself in ANY way shape or form to him. That is truly comical to me. Just this past weekend you took a nap on a badass boat while boating in paradise. A few summers ago you destroyed your leg attempting to get across a few boats. I am beyond words to hear you compare yourself to a legend.
Once again, I truly enjoy these forums. If I get banned for my opinions so be it......

Whoa cowboy.. lol. You and Taboma completely misread my post..

I was making a point that he was one of the most famous and accomplished people in the marine industry and 95+% of the board wouldn’t have any idea who he is..

I wasn’t saying I am comparing myself to him.

Since ya brought up the nap.. I have been in three times zones in two weeks and was sick right before we left so I wasn’t sleeping for shit.. it finally caught up to me. The hum of those 700’s were pretty calming and I fell asleep.

I for the life of me can’t understand why this is some point of contention?

Nobody else ever take a nap in the back of a boat? Lol.

What does my ankle have to do with anything? That was a freak accident?

@Taboma dude you seriously gotta slow down and read, and stop assuming negative shit all the time.. to be clear I just used it as an example.. someone asked me a question and I gave a random answer. They had no idea who it was, was the point. To be extra clear I didn’t even say that was my goal today (it isn’t)

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Whoa cowboy.. lol. You and Taboma completely misread my post..

I was making a point that he was one of the most famous and accomplished people in the marine industry and 95+% of the board wouldn’t have any idea who he is..

I wasn’t saying I am comparing myself to him.

Since ya brought up the nap.. I have been in three times zones in two weeks and was sick right before we left so I wasn’t sleeping for shit.. it finally caught up to me. The hum of those 700’s were pretty calming and I fell asleep.

I for the life of me can’t understand why this is some point of contention?

Nobody else ever take a nap in the back of a boat? Lol.

What does my ankle have to do with anything? That was a freak accident?

@Taboma dude you seriously gotta slow down and read, and stop assuming negative shit all the time.. to be clear I just used it as an example.. someone asked me a question and I gave a random answer. They had no idea who it was, was the point. To be extra clear I didn’t even say that was my goal today (it isn’t)

You're right, I see you were referring to gauges, so I'm sorry, I should have just let what I mistook as yet another " I'm a legend in my own mind " status comment go by as I do 99.9% of the time.

What I couldn't let go however was your comment about 95% of this site's boaters not knowing or remembering who Bob "Iron Man" Nordskog was, that's truly sad and I think inexcusable. So I posted some Bob stuff, and his tribute FB page has some awesome content, I hope a few might get curious and check it out.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You're right, I see you were referring to gauges, so I'm sorry, I should have just let what I mistook as yet another " I'm a legend in my own mind " status comment go by as I do 99.9% of the time.

What I couldn't let go however was your comment about 95% of this site's boaters not knowing or remembering who Bob "Iron Man" Nordskog was, that's truly sad and I think inexcusable. So I posted some Bob stuff, and his tribute FB page has some awesome content, I hope a few might get curious and check it out.

Here let me help ya out.. I don’t think I am anything special at all.. lol

Now maybe you will read the posts with a different mindset? 👀

Taboma

Reaction score
Here let me help ya out.. I don’t think I am anything special at all.. lol

Now maybe you will read the posts with a different mindset? 👀

You know, despite what you think I think, to a large degree I understand how your business model basically necessitates self-promotion.

You are your own publicist and frankly I think you're damned good at it. In fact, I have to admit, I think you're talented and damned good at a lot of things. For those things and as the role of your children's father, I applaud you and yes, even respect you.

Due to the nature of your business and mixed social life, it's often hard to separate " River Dave " the self-promoting business man from Dave Johnson, the family man and normal Havasu Joe.

So I do understand it's a real "tight rope" to walk between accomplishing gracious, modest, self-promotion and the flipside being the oozing, gooey, sickening, condescending, I'm so friggin awesome, that I personally find so damned annoying to read.

I'll try and if that fails, I'll try harder to just let it go. ☺️

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You know, despite what you think I think, to a large degree I understand how your business model basically necessitates self-promotion.

You are your own publicist and frankly I think you're damned good at it. In fact, I have to admit, I think you're talented and damned good at a lot of things. For those things and as the role of your children's father, I applaud you and yes, even respect you.

Due to the nature of your business and mixed social life, it's often hard to separate " River Dave " the self-promoting business man from Dave Johnson, the family man and normal Havasu Joe.

So I do understand it's a real "tight rope" to walk between accomplishing gracious, modest, self-promotion and the flipside being the oozing, gooey, sickening, condescending, I'm so friggin awesome, that I personally find so damned annoying to read.

I'll try and if that fails, I'll try harder to just let it go. ☺️

I just don’t get where anybody would think I am condescending or anything like it? I drink beers with everyone from the top to the bottom. I always help anyone I can with anything I can.. I get about 20 calls a day from old timers That don’t know how to use the web asking if “xyz” boat is still for sale. Or if they can get an oil pan for their 460 olds jet boat. I actually spend the time to try and help each one tracking down what they are looking for..

I think some people sit here and think I am over here twisting an evil mustache.. and both Stacy and myself give everything we have into this community and friendships and yes business. With rdp it isn’t even always about making money.. Every year I raise just enough for the after party etc.. every year someone fails to pay and I jist make it up personally, and never say anything.. I honestly think you got the completely wrong idea of me.

If I was the way ya think, I’d run this place a lot differently and laugh all the way to the bank.

As for key west I went to go have fun.. I brought the film guy to get the content. Some make take offense to that for some reason thats beyond me.. but I don’t live my life for them, I live it for me and my family and good times. 🤪

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I just don’t get where anybody would think I am condescending or anything like it? I drink beers with everyone from the top to the bottom. I always help anyone I can with anything I can.. I get about 20 calls a day from old timers That don’t know how to use the web asking if “xyz” boat is still for sale. Or if they can get an oil pan for their 460 olds jet boat. I actually spend the time to try and help each one tracking down what they are looking for..

I think some people sit here and think I am over here twisting an evil mustache.. and both Stacy and myself give everything we have into this community and friendships and yes business. With rdp it isn’t even always about making money.. Every year I raise just enough for the after party etc.. every year someone fails to pay and I jist make it up personally, and never say anything.. I honestly think you got the completely wrong idea of me.

If I was the way ya think, I’d run this place a lot differently and laugh all the way to the bank.

As for key west I went to go have fun.. I brought the film guy to get the content. Some make take offense to that for some reason thats beyond me.. but I don’t love my life for them, I love it for me and my family and good times. 🤪

Fair enough, and yes I've had a couple of ole timers tell me they think you're OK and I've never thought you were evil, just other things. 🥴

The "What Race" comment in this thread was not directed as a slight towards you, but at the general atmosphere that prevails at events of this nature and this locale.
People attend for a multitude of reasons, there's something for everybody and the various member contributions displayed exactly that.
I was actually pleased to see you and Stacy off doing some real vacation sightseeing. I already mentioned this in a previous reply --- sheesh.

Imagine how I must feel, everybody else gets their free joke-pokes at ole River Dave, but let me probe you gently with an ice pick in the ribs and you take it all personally. ☹️

We need to remedy this 95% of RDP's performance boating web site's members apparently not knowing who this sports past legends are.
Maybe one thread -- or you could kick it off with a couple of tributes, I'm sure many who tend to maintain a real low profile would contribute.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Fair enough, and yes I've had a couple of ole timers tell me they think you're OK and I've never thought you were evil, just other things. 🥴

The "What Race" comment in this thread was not directed as a slight towards you, but at the general atmosphere that prevails at events of this nature and this locale.
People attend for a multitude of reasons, there's something for everybody and the various member contributions displayed exactly that.
I was actually pleased to see you and Stacy off doing some real vacation sightseeing. I already mentioned this in a previous reply --- sheesh.

Imagine how I must feel, everybody else gets their free joke-pokes at ole River Dave, but let me probe you gently with an ice pick in the ribs and you take it all personally. ☹️

We need to remedy this 95% of RDP's performance boating web site's members apparently not knowing who this sports past legends are.
Maybe one thread -- or you could kick it off with a couple of tributes, I'm sure many who tend to maintain a real low profile would contribute. A

Let me get through this weekend and we can do exactly that.

I’ll tell ya someone I consider an absolute legend in the industry who never gets the recognition he deserves is ole Bob Brown. The guy has tested more boats, raced more races snd has too many feathers in his cap to count. He does a tremendous amount of work for the community and is basically the guy responsible for boats shows and other shows in Havasu.. He posts on here regularly @twocents I’d love to do a feature on him but he doesn’t self promote like I do so I’m not sure he’d say yes.

And yes I drink a lot.. if you had to deal with as much bullshit as I do in the name of free speech you would too. Lol.

I liked the ice pick comment.. made me laugh. :D

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Let me get through this weekend and we can do exactly that.

I’ll tell ya someone I consider an absolute legend in the industry who never gets the recognition he deserves is ole Bob Brown. The guy has tested more boats, raced more races snd has too many feathers in his cap to count. He does a tremendous amount of work for the community and is basically the guy responsible for boats shows and other shows in Havasu.. He posts on here regularly @twocents I’d love to do a feature on him but he doesn’t self promote like I do so I’m not sure he’d say yes.

And yes I drink a lot.. if you had to deal with as much bullshit as I do in the name of free speech you would too. Lol.

I liked the ice pick comment.. made me laugh. :D

I'll never forgive Bob for allowing that oiled up bikini clad beauty named Drinda to crawl all over my Cole while I was forced to lay there under the deck, helplessly drooling on my new carpet while he shot pics. 🤣 Bob's an ole fellow Arrowheader, he's the man. 👍👍👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Good deep dive on the legend Bob N.... thanks for posting that. Man of faith as well it appears. Solid dude.

Nordskog Publishing is committed to finding and publishing meaty, tasty, and easily digestible books on Christian theology, American and Church history, and Christ-honoring true stories of men and women of great faith. Our authors seek to illuminate God’s Word and God’s Laws, applying these precepts and truths to all areas of life and living. This website provides current information about our books, authors and related events around the country and in our Father’s world, as well as background information concerning the Nordskog family and publishing ministry.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
View attachment 1067230
A couple of pix off the garage wall . before it was vacated.
Scan.jpg
Scan01 (1).jpg
Alladin.Motel.jpg
Holocaust.jpg
Scan0001 (1).jpg
289 Cobra.Schiada.jpg
Mike.Donovan.jpg
Hartley.White..Jake.Smith.jpg
Noel Younger.jpg
DowneyHouse.jpg
Emerald.Cove.jpg

HCP3

Reaction score

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I assume when you said modest it was taken as inexpensive. and this year that really doesn't exist

attitude

Reaction score
I assume when you said modest it was taken as inexpensive. and this year that really doesn't exist
By modest I just meant an average hotel, i know I can’t afford a 4-5 star hotel with a water view even without the covid pricing down there lol.