WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SpaceX launch tonight at Vandenberg 10:21

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
10:21 tonight. Visibility is good in Southern California!

footprint-minotaur.gif

Last edited:

HTTP404

Reaction score
"DART is designed to impact the asteroid moonlet, Dimorphos, which at about 525 feet in diameter is just under the size of the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C.."

The landing barge is located 70 miles west of Isla Guadalupe. Might make for an interesting descent to the south west.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The aim of tonight’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) is to see whether crashing a spacecraft into an asteroid is an effective way to change its course.

The spacecraft will travel in space for 10 months until it crashes into the targeted asteroid at 15,000 miles per hour. The rocket will have travelled more than six million miles from Earth.

😱

HTTP404

Reaction score
The aim of tonight’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) is to see whether crashing a spacecraft into an asteroid is an effective way to change its course.

The spacecraft will travel in space for 10 months until it crashes into the targeted asteroid at 15,000 miles per hour. The rocket will have travelled more than six million miles from Earth.

😱
I guess math is important after all.

DWC

Reaction score
Saw it for a few seconds in the very beginning then nothing.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
We watched it from Canyon Lake, had the live stream going on the Ipad so watched the launch and saw it a few seconds later cross the sky, wasn't a great visual if we didn't know it was happening we might have just thought it was an airplane or something, there was only a few seconds when you saw the rocket tail, my 10yo was pretty impressed so thats all that mattered to me

nowski

Reaction score
So while you guys were looking up in the sky I was driving to the Star, Christmas Star that is. I thought about that WYRD guy looking for date ideas and told my wife let's blow this place (taco stand) and make a memory. If you live in the IE and have never seen the Christmas Star (straight up Euclid) you've been under that rock too long. So I then decided to do what any teenager would do, I headed over to Lovers Lane, located right below the star where things tend to get a little foggy...

Attachments

• cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 30
  • cs3.jpg
    cs3.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 34
  • CS1.jpg
    CS1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 28
  • LL1.jpg
    LL1.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 28

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So while you guys were looking up in the sky I was driving to the Star, Christmas Star that is. I thought about that WYRD guy looking for date ideas and told my wife let's blow this place (taco stand) and make a memory. If you live in the IE and have never seen the Christmas Star (straight up Euclid) you've been under that rock too long. So I then decided to do what any teenager would do, I headed over to Lovers Lane, located right below the star where things tend to get a little foggy...
Cool deal. Is that put up as a community piece or done by a private individual?
Did ya get your finger wet at LoversLane?😉😊

RVRKID

Reaction score
We saw it when it just came over the mountains after launch, was pretty cool bright orange then lost it behind the clouds.

nowski

Reaction score
Cool deal. Is that put up as a community piece or done by a private individual?
Did ya get your finger wet at LoversLane?😉😊

Here's a little history of the star, it's been a tradition as long as we've been alive. That's along time...

chvynhra

Reaction score

My dad helps hang it every year.
659217644.jpg

RVRKID

Reaction score
Here's a little history of the star, it's been a tradition as long as we've been alive. That's along time...

My buddies family owned it during high school, Late 80's, and it was part of the selling contract to keep the star going. It was pretty cool hanging up there when it was up. After the fire I can't believe Ken has gone up with generators and kept the star lit all these years.

nowski

Reaction score
My dad helps hang it every year. View attachment 1069079

Thank your Dad for a job well done!!!

When I'm out and about this time of year I always look to the north to see the star, it always brings a smile to my face. I saw the star early last night while at my buddies home in Chino Hills. Later when I got home I told the wife turn off the TV, lets go see some lights on Thoroughbred Lane and see the Christmas Star...

scottchbrite

Reaction score
We literally had a front row view from my Sister in Laws house. She lives in Vandenberg Village. Her Husband works at the base. This is a screenshot from the video. The sound was the cool part.
0F0F0136-A125-4831-B01C-DF9F52EB14F6.jpeg

nowski

Reaction score
The night time launches are easy to spot but has anyone seen and tracked the daytime launches? A good pair of binoculars and a little glassing technique can put you onto that sight for sore eyes experience...