WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

12v cooler

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone make a 12 volt cooler that's worth talking about?

I recall having a Coolatron years ago. If you left it on for an hour or more, it got noticeably cooler than the ambient temperature. Maybe a few degrees... :D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It was my very first post on Hotboats, and my first day on the internet, and Magic Mountain Dan (aka MMD) came in to the thread and shit on me as a welcome.

The 12 volters seem to work if everything put inside them is sweaty cold to begin with.
They will maintain, but have a pretty tough time pulling the temp down from room temp.

Now, my last experience with them was the reverse thermocouple method of cooling.

Dunno if they have moved on to better or improved the technology.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Now, my last experience with them was the reverse thermocouple method of cooling.

My Koolatron was a peltier junction. As I recall, you could rotate the power connecter 180* and it would switch between heat and cool. Neat idea.

I'm beginning to warm to the idea buying ice. River has helped me understand it's not as inconvenient as I once thought. Thanks, River. :D

Also, I can't help but notice I never hear of 12v coolers on here. With the vast majority of the membership boating in Parker and Havasu, I would think you guys would be all over electric coolers if they were a good option for that kind of heat.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My Koolatron was a peltier junction. As I recall, you could rotate the power connecter 180* and it would switch between heat and cool. Neat idea.

I'm beginning to warm to the idea buying ice. River has helped me understand it's not as inconvenient as I once thought. Thanks, River. :D

Also, I can't help but notice I never hear of 12v coolers on here. With the vast majority of the membership boating in Parker and Havasu, I would think you guys would be all over electric coolers if they were a good option for that kind of heat.

Hard to even find them anymore.
They kinda work as an inside the RV, dump the excess cold beer and sodas in them back-up storage kinda dealio.

Ya don't even see them touted at the boat shows anymore either.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Lets see, I have 5 tons of air for a 850sf house and I have trouble getting it down to 75 when it's 125 outside :smackhead

You need some better insulation or check the systems airflow son.
That system is good up to 2400 Sq ft.

We have a 995 sq ft house and a 3 ton freezes us out (if we want it to) at 105 F +.

Most AC will start to brown out around 113 F unless you are really over sized and have one hell of an electrical service on top all that.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Tommy I have a brand new never used Waeco CF-18 cooler. If you're interested in it, I'll trade you something for it. What do you have of interest? Maybe something for my unrigged 10'er. It needs everything.

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
It was my very first post on Hotboats, and my first day on the internet, and Magic Mountain Dan (aka MMD) came in to the thread and shit on me as a welcome.

The 12 volters seem to work if everything put inside them is sweaty cold to begin with.
They will maintain, but have a pretty tough time pulling the temp down from room temp.

Dunno if they have moved on to better or improved the technology.

Huh? Please accept my apology - I don't remember it at all but if you remember that happening then I am sorry. I have no idea what happened but you do. Sorry!
huh.jpeg

OldSchool1964

Reaction score
Try www.warehouseappliance.com. in Arizona. They have a 12v cooler that we used on a baja buggy trip and was connected to the buggy's 12V electrical system and it kept ice cream frozen for a week. In camp it was hooked to one of those 18x36 solar panels which provided enough juice to keep it going strong. Was impressive.