WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ungrateful employees

Joker

Reaction score
So, i had the first 3 days with no work in 5 or so years and i offered my 35.00 per hour guy $20.00 per hour to sit at home. Today we started back up and he calls me a Jew for shorting his pay.
I can’t wait until I get out of the business and this state.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So, i had the first 3 days with no work in 5 or so years and i offered my 35.00 per hour guy $20.00 per hour to sit at home. Today we started back up and he calls me a Jew for shorting his pay.
I can’t wait until I get out of the business and this state.

I'll take $20/hr to sit at home and do nothing. Where do I sign up??

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I'm pretty lucky for the most part with employees.
Some have been with me over 20 years.

I have noticed the newer ones have a definite lack of... appreciation.
There seems to be a much greater sense of entitlement by those under 30-35.

If one were to call me a Jew for paying him most of his hourly wage to stay home, I think I would go out of my way to prove him right going forward.🤨

Joker

Reaction score
I'm pretty lucky for the most part with employees.
Some have been with me over 20 years.

I have noticed the newer ones have a definite lack of... appreciation.
There seems to be a much greater sense of entitlement by those under 30-35.

If one were to call me a Jew for paying him most of his hourly wage to stay home, I think I would go out of my way to prove him right going forward.🤨
I’m just disappointed it came to this. I pay him drive time, pay him 8 if he’s there for 6 and this is the end result.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I’m just disappointed it came to this. I pay him drive time, pay him 8 if he’s there for 6 and this is the end result.

And here i was complaining about other people not pulling their weight at my old job while I did half of theirs for them and was told to mind my own fucking business....

Odd times these are.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I thought you had a waterproofing job working with a another company ?

Jimmyv

Reaction score
I grew up looking at society as the HAVE & HAVE NOT’s,
but I’ve come to realize society is divided by the WILL & WONT’s

We’ve moved beyond a lack of appreciation, it’s the unrelenting sense of entitlement I can’t get past.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When I was working for other crews, you get the hours you could. I never asked for or expected drive time (though a breakfast burrito or a donut helped out) If work was slow for the boss, and you were at home, you made something of it. Either hustle a side gig, or line something up if you had a few days, but you didn't bitch.
Usually, if the boss man had no work for you, he didn't have money coming in. Usually this means he wasn't in the best of moods. Unless you have a separate means of income, best leave him on good terms...that was my thought at least. I may not have been the best at different skills, but I was usually one of the first back.

nowski

Reaction score
I think I'd give the guy a 3 day mini vacation (no pay) for his racist comment...

I'd like to add: That's a 3 day mini vacation in the form of a written warning with 3 days off pending termination. The written warning is part of progressive steps of discipline that gets a sour employee one step closer to the exit door. In the real estate world it's location, location, location. In the workplace it's document, document, document...

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I have the very same problem. We work from 7:00 to 3:30 M-F. If you remember I'm a B1 who does condo repair work so we always have some work-order to do. My average wage is $30hr with a couple $20 labor only, 8 employees currently. I pay 5 holidays a month. They go to covered CA for ins. if they want it.

I painted all that to say if I get an honest 6 hrs. a day I'm amazed but if 8 hrs can be done in 6 with no go-backs then so be it. They love to go to the the box 3x a day for supplies and I'm not shy letting them know that I know they are fucking around., etc. They work hard but when the hey Boss how about a Thanks Giving bonus I say you get a bonus every fucking day. I used to buy lunches, keep them in nice work shirts, constantly purchase the latest tools. Not any more as they don't apricate jack shit. They also like to make comments about the vehicles I drive or my $120 Timberland Pro boots. Snide comments basically. They know I need them and yep I do.

So I always have feelers out there. I used to be loyal to them but I'm just no longer feeling it unfortunately. I also cant wait to be done with this shit. I've talked about selling and moving to Havasu and doing Handyman work. Perhaps someday.

So I feel for you brother, I get it.

nowski

Reaction score
What does this guy contribute to the team that makes him think he's God's gift to your workforce??? Is he special in his own mind or just special...

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Interesting reading what you guys are starting to go thru. Same here,and now find myself getting serious attitude from several employee family members. I no longer call some of our guys in the evenings at their homes. Communication in our business important,drivers work on their own all day.
Gotta say inflation is hitting families hard,but what the hell can you do,all this has come on fast in a short time ?

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
OC & Joker,in fact all of you.You guys are good people,we know that and no doubt your employees know the same. The pressure is coming from their families. Wtf,many,too many kids are growing up,but not leaving the house. They are not on their own. Putting pressure on the breadwinner cuz things not as good as they were just a year ago.

FCT

Reaction score
I would fuck with him in every way possible with his hours, pay, no work etc until he quits. I can’t stand ungrateful piles of shit. Before I started my business years ago I had a boss just like you and I would do anything for that guy because he was such an amazing guy to work for. It’s not very often you’re lucky to get a boss that truly cares about his employees.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So glad I don't have to deal with this shit anymore. Friends I know in business constantly have these problems and the pace has picked up. I don't know how you deal with it before going mental or physical on the unappreciative takers

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Good luck firing in Ca. Nobody quits,plenty of Doctors sign the disability papers on first visit.
The last guy I fired found an Attorney and sued for 9 injuries. My workers comp paid out I don't know how much even though I had a random one week old video showing the employee working. After eight or so years I had to find another WC carrier. Sucks because the carrier I have now is in love with their annual audits. They are like the IRS of WC Audits.

A business you can run by yourself with you as the employee, janitor, IT guy, repair guy, etc is the best way to go.

I did this for a couple years. Problem is when you go to the river (no worky no money) you don't generate. I often work from the river but I'm not there to eyeball things.

Win win, lose lose, win lose, hope for a win,.....all that. Having Grit is 100% the only way.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'm a one man show in my new-ish business....and it's working pretty good on my end. I misunderstood the fact that since it's just me...I'd be in control. I have to sub out my cadmium plating....and I'm now dealing with other business's employee problems. My current order has been there for over a month, and I'm told they'll try and get it done by the end of next week. I offered to go in there and do it myself for free, and still pay them their normal price....they said no.

Employees are a pain in the ass.

nowski

Reaction score
Now a good employee would have given you (Joker the Boss Man) a chance to win some or all of that $480 bucks back with a simple bet. Said employee would ask who do you like in today's Big Game Georgia vs. Alabama +6 points?

Note: The Boss gets to choose the team, not because he's the boss but because he's the guy with the good heart who thought of his employee first. The bet is just a little camaraderie between to guy's that respect one another.

With all that said and done who do you like in today's Big Game???

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I did this for a couple years. Problem is when you go to the river (no worky no money) you don't generate. I often work from the river but I'm not there to eyeball things.

Win win, loose loose, win loose, hope for a win,.....all that. Having Grit is 100% the only way.
I remember you being on the phone with your workers when we were on Rivermobsters boat with YoPengo on the Friday of Desert Storm. You were still working..

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I have the very same problem. We work from 7:00 to 3:30 M-F. If you remember I'm a B1 who does condo repair work so we always have some work-order to do. My average wage is $30hr with a couple $20 labor only, 8 employees currently. I pay 5 holidays a month. They go to covered CA for ins. if they want it.

I painted all that to say if I get an honest 6 hrs. a day I'm amazed but if 8 hrs can be done in 6 with no go-backs then so be it. They love to go to the the box 3x a day for supplies and I'm not shy letting them know that I know they are fucking around., etc. They work hard but when the hey Boss how about a Thanks Giving bonus I say you get a bonus every fucking day. I used to buy lunches, keep them in nice work shirts, constantly purchase the latest tools. Not any more as they don't apricate jack shit. They also like to make comments about the vehicles I drive or my $120 Timberland Pro boots. Snide comments basically. They know I need them and yep I do.

So I always have feelers out there. I used to be loyal to them but I'm just no longer feeling it unfortunately. I also cant wait to be done with this shit. I've talked about selling and moving to Havasu and doing Handyman work. Perhaps someday.

So I feel for you brother, I get it.
You would be busier than a one armed paper hanger out here BUT leave your fucking Calif attitude there. We get enough attitude on the weekends from the folks West of us.

TVMNick

Reaction score
It's funny that this thread came up, I was discussing ungrateful employees with my wife yesterday morning. We have our annual Christmas party tonight which I always give a generous bonus to all employees at, plus have great prizes and gifts for them all. Last year (my biggest Christmas bonus payout ever) I had roughly 50% of my employees say thank you. Of course the employees that said thank you were the ones I expected, the ones that produce the most during the year, call off the least, and overall are the easiest people I have working for me.

I revel in my good employees and chalk up the ungrateful ones as par for the course, I try to be a very kind and understanding owner while providing opportunity for everyone that works for me, but man it can be really frustrating dealing with the shit.

dribble

Reaction score
I’m not sure what this state has to do with it as CA is an at will state. You can fire someone for zero reason. The fact that he addressed you with a racial slur is cause enough to terminate and deny him unemployment benefits. J

TCHB

Reaction score
I have experienced there is always entitled employees in all the companies I have worked. This is the same spoiled kid that grew up.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I’m not sure what this state has to do with it as CA is an at will state. You can fire someone for zero reason. The fact that he addressed you with a racial slur is cause enough to terminate and deny him unemployment benefits. J
Yeah but....then he'd have to find a replacement employee...which seems to be a good trick right now.

HBCraig

Reaction score
It's funny that this thread came up, I was discussing ungrateful employees with my wife yesterday morning. We have our annual Christmas party tonight which I always give a generous bonus to all employees at, plus have great prizes and gifts for them all. Last year (my biggest Christmas bonus payout ever) I had roughly 50% of my employees say thank you. Of course the employees that said thank you were the ones I expected, the ones that produce the most during the year, call off the least, and overall are the easiest people I have working for me.

I revel in my good employees and chalk up the ungrateful ones as par for the course, I try to be a very kind and understanding owner while providing opportunity for everyone that works for me, but man it can be really frustrating dealing with the shit.
Jeezus. 50%? That awful. When I got my current position I had only worked here about a month or 2. They have me $250. It's minimal compared to my annual income buy I called my big boss and thanked him. In past positions I either shaked their hand or called then and thanked them. Its just the right thing to do

Your reputation is what people think about you, your character is what God knows about you. I tell this to my players all the time.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I remember you being on the phone with your workers when we were on Rivermobsters boat with YoPengo on the Friday of Desert Storm. You were still working..

Still the same deal Bobby. They can solve their own issues but the chance to just go home because the "New Door doesn't fit" (example) is always looming.

Another story - One of my guys has been with me for 12+years. He decides on the weekends he will start his own company and I'm sure using my tools. Whatever, I don't own anyone but if your tired come Monday you will be making your startup a full time gig. Well he got screwed by a homeowner for like $7k and is whining to me about it. A couple weeks goes by and he is begging me for the $7k because he paid some helpers and materials and he's broke. I said lessons are a hard deal, go find some more side work, and there's your money. He got mad and quit. WTF?

About a year later he calls me and wants to come back. Seems building Taco Bells, getting yelled at by the Supers, waiting at home with no pay until another Taco jalopy is ready to stucco...he found the grass was indeed green working with me. Now he's making his own decisions and running three other guys, does not whine and has found his Grit....For me. I took advantage of what he learned right quick. The Lose lose...lose win.

Contractor types are just a big pot full of every personality you can imagine.

77charger

Reaction score
Some trades can get slow i know we did in construction but there were days when ot was availible 6 days a week too.New kids i tell them we get slow in winter around holidays so make that ot and save it they just spent it as they got it then flip out with a couple days off.

I had to work in office when slow since i got paid anyways.But if i was in situation where i got 2-3 days off with reduced pay when in reality you dont have to pay them id take the 2-3 days off and enjoy it.