WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford 7.3 Godzilla

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Anyone have the new 7.3 with 4:30 gears?

What do you tow? how heavy?

MPG? Not that I’m to concerned about it.

Overall impression and would you do it again?

I’m doing research for my next truck.
My first pick is the 7.3 f250
Second is 6.4 Ram 2500

I’m over the hassle of diesels and the crazy cost and potential repair bills.

I text Bobby at Sunrise and he can do MSRP
If I do a custom order.
My build on Fords website was $54,000
Long bed XLT
Is that the best deal available?

SixD9R

Reaction score
I can’t answer your questions but sounds like the F-250 would be an awesome truck.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Also interested...
Ordered a Lariat Tremor Sport 11/1/21 w/ 7.3
MSRP from Villa Ford, 72ish...
Got the order confirmation from Ford, still no build date e-mail. Dealer said late Feb/March.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Also interested...
Ordered a Lariat Tremor Sport 11/1/21 w/ 7.3
MSRP from Villa Ford, 72ish...
Got the order confirmation from Ford, still no build date e-mail. Dealer said late Feb/March.
Bobby said about 90 days wait.

That Tremor will be bad ass. What gears did you go with. Also what color?

Fabhouse

Reaction score

As I recall I was told 12-16 weeks, so right in the ballpark.I was also told more options, longer wait.
The dealers are doing MSRP on orders because the confirmed customer orders move ahead of dealer orders for production-Dealer figures they have a sure sale, or a truck to put on the lot and mark up if the customer declines. I don't mind MSRP, but can't justify a markup for something I don't really "need". Currently trying to keep the Raptor under 60k miles for trade in/private sale .

Dr Rob

Reaction score

Second is 6.4 Ram 2500

If I do a custom order.
Long bed XLT
I have had mine for almost 2 years now. 7.3 with the 430 gears. I went with the long bed with 50 gallon fuel tank. I absolutely love this truck. No issues in 27 thousand miles. I pull an 18000 lb fifth wheel occasionally. It has no issues pulling this coach. My best mileage empty has been 16.6. Average Towing my water wagon and buzzing around town is 13.7. No regrets.

Fabhouse

Reaction score

Forgot the rest!....Iconic Silver/black 4.30 gears Almost all options except the "pro trailer" thing....not much interest in that.

Blue Oval

Reaction score
Just delivered this one with that set up yesterday. Chas had a V10 for years. Bought a 2020 with a 6.2 and fell asleep driving. Totaled it out. He is on his 2nd day and really likes it. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• DB5CD5D8-28FC-4D8A-A885-E2B74A885770.jpeg
    DB5CD5D8-28FC-4D8A-A885-E2B74A885770.jpeg
    684.2 KB · Views: 186

pixrthis

Reaction score
I drove this to Tucson and back, 6.5 mpg at 85 mph and no complaints. Load didn’t change much and the ten speed tranny is perfect.

Attachments

• 8991CF07-A978-4B69-A57D-7265AE7C509F.jpeg
    8991CF07-A978-4B69-A57D-7265AE7C509F.jpeg
    657.4 KB · Views: 143

HitIt

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Tremor F-250. I tow a 12k 5er. Works great with the 10 speed. I get about 7mpg with the trailer.

BTW, the Tremor gets the Dana rear end and the driveline and suspension is identical to the F350 Temor.

Only bad thing about the Tremor package is you can't get a long bed and the bigger fuel tank. My range sucks.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Just delivered this one with that set up yesterday. Chas had a V10 for years. Bought a 2020 with a 6.2 and fell asleep driving. Totaled it out. He is on his 2nd day and really likes it. Stay tuned.
Fooook me that color is bad ass. Which blue is that?

manxman

Reaction score
got one in a f450 dually, not sure of the gears. have a little over 8k miles on it. It's rough idler! It's kind of loud. It a torque monster. It gets crappy gas milage. Cant get better than 11 mpg and thats down hill with a tail wind. Most of the time it's 8-10 mpg.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
I have had mine for almost 2 years now. 7.3 with the 430 gears. I went with the long bed with 50 gallon fuel tank. I absolutely love this truck. No issues in 27 thousand miles. I pull an 18000 lb fifth wheel occasionally. It has no issues pulling this coach. My best mileage empty has been 16.6. Average Towing my water wagon and buzzing around town is 13.7. No regrets.
Screenshot_20211207-201835.png

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Godzilla Killer 😂 😂 😂

2021 F350 Carbonized Gray, Lariat Ultimate Package, 6.7L CC SB SRW on 37x12.50R20 tires, Fuel Covert wheels, S&B 60 gallon replacement fuel tank, Air Lift II Smart Air, RetraxPRO MX-80386 Bed Cover, and more

F350 Driveway - 3.jpeg

Last edited:

f12517

Reaction score
I have a 21 F350 w/ 7.3 and 4.30’s. It’s got a service bed, lift gate and air compressor mounted. Truck is a standard cab 4x4.

Avg fuel economy is 10 mpg. It does spend most of its time at least partly loaded and going up I-80 into the mountains.

Hauls the mail, love the 10 speed so far. Wish the mpg was a little better. I had hoped for 12-13 mpg. But I don’t miss the extra cost of running a diesel.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I have icon silver. I was very hesitant when i ordered it due to silver sometimes looking uneven.
Its as close to even as ive ever seen ford do.
Its a great color. Looks dark in the shade

Shady

Reaction score
I have just over 2,000 miles on my 2022 F250 with a 7.3 and 3.55 gears. I have towed my 8,000 pound bumper pull a couple hundred miles with it. I love it. The ten speed is impressive. MPG is not great overall I am at 11.3 so far, but that is not why I bought the truck. I was looking at the same trucks as you, made my decision of the F250 due ot the size of the cab and rear seat. I would do it again, I really enjoy the truck.

hallett21

Reaction score
What’s the price difference between 7.3 and 6.7?

HitIt

Reaction score
Initially or over time?

I think it is around $10.5k MSRP over the 6.2. The 7.3 is $2k over the 6.2. Typically $7 - $8k extra in practice but COVID is making things crazy so it might be closer to MSRP.

I know a lot of folks argue the diesel/gas deal but I think they both can make perfect sense. If I either towed my 12k 5er long distances/in the mountains or hauled a > 15k trailer regularly, I would have popped for the 6.7. For what I do, the 7.3 works perfect.

You can do a quick build to see the difference:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I think the diesel is 10k bump the 7.3 is 2k.

The diesel only gets about 3-4mpg better. So it will take forever to recoup the price increase.

Diesel only makes sense if you pull very heavy often. Or you just want it. Because you can afford it. Which I can’t.
For me I will hardly ever drive it. Probably 5k miles a year.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Second is 6.4 Ram 2500

If I do a custom order.
Long bed XLT
I took delivery of my FIL's earlier this year. It was bought to be the "cabin" truck so its not really used much. They eventually plan to buy a small fifth wheel once they retire. He bought the 250 xlt short bed with the tan interior..he researched a lot before buying it and ordered it as such. It has the puck hitch prep kit and decent options. I put around 250 miles on it the first week, mostly in snow, and mostly in 4wd. A couple months later I drove it again normally in 2wd on the highway and normal driving. Epic.

It has around 2k miles on it now from me, my BIL, and my FIL. He didn't want the diesel bc it isn't used much and he is a ford guy...he's got a ton of service trucks for his company back in HI.. all f250's, all gas..he's a fan obviously. I have no idea what he paid, but he took my advice on a lot of things such as the puck in bed setup, block heater etc. I'll be driving it for 8 days starting next Friday. It handles snoqualmie pass and the rest of the roads we take to get to the cabin with ease, tows snowmobiles easy etc. the 10 speed is legit. I tow much heavier than he does, but If I didn't I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I will say it, and so will my FIL, my BIL etc...My 2020 Ram seats are WAY more comfortable...but who knows if that's due to wear in...my truck has 30k miles this one has 2k tops and I haven't drove it since like march.

Excuse my BIL looking the exact description of an USAF pilot (he is) in the background. Mustache ✔️aviators ✔️leather bomber jacket ✔️ lol
tempImageQzOsUq.png
tempImageIatJQ8.png

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I took delivery of my FIL's earlier this year. It was bought to be the "cabin" truck so its not really used much. He bought the 250 xlt short bed with the tan interior..he researched a lot before buying it and ordered it as such. It has the puck hitch prep kit and decent options. I put around 250 miles on it the first week, mostly in snow, and mostly in 4wd. A couple months later I drove it again normally in 2wd on the highway and normal driving. Epic.

It has around 2k miles on it now from me, my BIL, and my FIL. He didn't want the diesel bc it isn't used much and he is a ford guy...he's got a ton of service trucks for his company back in HI.. all f250's, all gas..he's a fan obviously. I have no idea what he paid, but he took my advice on a lot of things such as the puck in bed setup, block heater etc. I'll be driving it for 8 days starting next Friday. It handles snoqualmie pass and the rest of the roads we take to get to the cabin with ease, tows snowmobiles easy etc. the 10 speed is legit. I tow much heavier than he does, but If I didn't I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I will say it, and so will my FIL, my BIL etc...My 2020 Ram seats are WAY more comfortable...but who knows if that's due to wear in...my truck has 30k miles this one has 2k tops and I haven't drove it since like march.

Excuse my BIL looking the exact description of an USAF pilot (he is) in the background lol
View attachment 1072645 View attachment 1072646
I loved my Ram but it is done a bit of power to Ford.
I can order the ram the way I want for 50k

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I loved my Ram but it is done a bit of power to Ford.
I can order the ram the way I want for 50k
I have the 3500 with the mega cab HO diesel Ram...if I was buying a gasser I'd buy the ford...hands down no questions asked. Cab layout is better as well for the back seat. the standard ram cab for the HD's sucks in the rear...the ford is "bigger" as far as leg room etc. If you are dealing with car seats skip the ram unless its a mega.

Icky

Reaction score
I have the 3500 with the mega cab HO diesel Ram...if I was buying a gasser I'd buy the ford...hands down no questions asked. Cab layout is better as well for the back seat. the standard ram cab for the HD's sucks in the rear...the ford is "bigger" as far as leg room etc. If you are dealing with car seats skip the ram unless its a mega.
The mega cab was made for car seats👍, im in the process of ordering a new one and it will be a megacab again. Unfortunately the tow rating between a gas and diesel are pretty significant in the ram trucks.

bonesfab

Reaction score
And that is what I wanted to do in the lincoln but the crate packages weren't out then.

hallett21

Reaction score
Granted I haven’t started buckling kids in the back yet. But my 2016 CC back seats have plenty of room for me (5’10”).

Is it that bad hooking kids up in the back of a CC? My understanding was the leg room is the same in mega cab and the extra room in behind the seat. Mainly for storage or reclining the seats.

Edit: future me needs these answers pronto lol

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Plenty of room for kids and car seats in a regular CC Ram, IMO. The Mega is exactly that. Way more room inside. Seat definitely seems farther back but I haven’t compared a Crew to Mega side by side.

I agree, going gasser, Ford 7.3 4.30 all day.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Granted I haven’t started buckling kids in the back yet. But my 2016 CC back seats have plenty of room for me (5’10”).

Is it that bad hooking kids up in the back of a CC? My understanding was the leg room is the same in mega cab and the extra room in behind the seat. Mainly for storage or reclining the seats.

the legroom is much more...I can assure you. its not just behind the seat. My wife veto'd a normal CC over it.. The behind the seat storage area is reflected in the cab extension. The legroom is reflected in the larger door. We have this car seat https://www.cybexonlineshop.com/sirona-s-manhattan-grey/519004439.html and it needs the extra room. It barely fits in the Tahoe and we can't use it in the x5. We road trip a lot..I recline the backseat and stretch my legs across my cooler to sleep when the wife is driving. I keep MaK behind the driver seat and I want to be able to move my seat, recline etc and not hit the seat. I don't with the Mega.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
got one in a f450 dually, not sure of the gears. have a little over 8k miles on it. It's rough idler! It's kind of loud. It a torque monster. It gets crappy gas milage. Cant get better than 11 mpg and thats down hill with a tail wind. Most of the time it's 8-10 mpg.

The idling thing is an issue - from a poster elsewhere.

Loved the truck but I buy because of the tax code 179 and I do use them as well.
First off this is known with many- rough idling...not stumbling or a misfire but very rough idling.
So bad it rattles things loose under the bed-a knocking and clunking noise under the bed and
the idle is horrible. Fixes have been cited on the net but Ford dealers do nothing.

Went to three- they kept the truck for days and come back with, " it ain't thrown' no codes so we can't do nothin' "
Exactly what they said-lol
In the end I got my tax cut and was offered big $ for it and I unloaded it- This is one of the first production ones 2020
I have heard of the same on many.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

CC Ram is fine for car seats. The New body style Fords are way better though. They are comparable to a mega cab.
I’m 5’10 as well.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

Second is 6.4 Ram 2500

If I do a custom order.
Long bed XLT
What’s the GVWR and Tow Capacity of the F250 with the 7.3. Also what are you towing?

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Screenshot_20211208-071601.png

CLdrinker

Reaction score
What’s the GVWR and Tow Capacity of the F250 with the 7.3. Also what are you towing?
GVWR 10800
15,000 Bumper
19,000 fifth wheel
GCWR 27,000.

Don’t know what trailer yet.
Probably a big bumper pull again. Just not many options for big bumper pulls. I won’t buy Forest River or Eclipse. So that leaves Hearland and Cruiser RV.
I really like the Genesis 27 but that’s kinda small.