WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New diesel pick up truck mileage - what are you getting?

530RL

Reaction score
2017 F250 diesel.

15 driving around the city.

19 driving on highway to San Diego or Vegas.

13 towing flat bed with sand car on highway.

USMC2010

Reaction score
2002 Chevy Duramax 265/75r16 tires gets 15-17 highway empty. 2002 Chevy 6.0 gas got shit mileage until I went back to stock 245/75r16 tires. I can on a very good day see 15 highway, typically 13-14.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Oh I’m gonna be single digit mpg for sure. But when I only drive 5,000 miles a year. Who cares.

Horses got way better mpg than your truck and almost have the same technology... soo what’s you point?

Those dudes in Dubai have to pay for those new Funcos some how. I’m just doing my part.

Horses get better milage than my truck???

I don't even know how to respond to that!

😅

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
@Boat211 - There was a video on YouTube where they compared a Ford diesel with the 7.3 gasser. The diesel got about 3mpg better, but they figured with the higher cost of diesel fuel plus DEF, that it would be not much difference in cost. I will try to find the video and post a link.

Last edited:

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
07 dodge meba cab 4x4 5.9 Cummins w/4.10 gears I could see 22mpg on freeway with 100hp tune if I was careful

2018 ram Cummins Crew cab 4x4 I got 18-21mpg on freeway trips.

Both were 72-75mph

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@Boat211 - There was a video on YouTube where they compared a Ford diesel with the 7.3 gasser. The diesel got about 3mpg better, but they figured with the higher cost of diesel fuel, that it would be not much difference in cost. I will try to find the video and post a link.

The 7.3 gasser runs on regular fuel??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
87 octane....supposedly it makes 20ish more hp with 93 but I don't really believe that.

Pretty easy to believe...

I thought I read that's a 10 or 11 to one engine? They will retard the timing (with a knock sensor pulse) on regular, and advance it forward with no knock sensor pulse.

Regular, gonna be doggy. Premium, should run good. 👍🏼

If it's a VVT engine, it will be an even bigger difference on 91!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Pretty easy to believe...

I thought I read that's a 10 or 11 to one engine? They will retard the timing (with a knock sensor pulse) on regular, and advance it forward with no knock sensor pulse.

Regular, gonna be doggy. Premium, should run good. 👍🏼

If it's a VVT engine, it will be an even bigger difference on 91!
I watched a youtube about a programmer when I was looking at them. They pulled 21hp and then 45hp out of it on premium.

Icky

Reaction score
The tow capacity between gas and diesel is very significant...... just thought I'd throw that out there.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I currently have a 2019 GMC 2500 gasser. I have never been in love with the truck. After all, it is just a truck. Its leveled with wheels and tires. Tires are stock diameter but a little wider. This truck has the 6.0. I am disappointed with the power and obviously with the fuel milage. I just clicked 56,000 miles and over that time has averaged 11.5 according to the computer. If I average fuel at $4 per gallon, I have spent $20k on fuel. The diesel upgrade I think is $10k. If the diesel gets double the economy I would be even at this point. So that brings me to my current question. What are the real world numbers on new diesel trucks? I am a die hard GM guy but the new GM trucks do not excite me too much visually. The ford looks good but I have done so much ford bashing that I don't know that I can do it. Might be able to pull off a dodge?? My BIL has a 2021 Ford and is getting great numbers. Does anyone have any true numbers they can share? I do a fair amount of driving and towing but no giant boats or trailers at this time. Thanks in advance for taking time to share.

‘What rear end do you have? My 2500 HD Crew Cab, 2wd, with a 4.10 rear end get 13 t0 15 mpg. The 4.10 is a great rear end for the 2500 HD.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Beautiful truck! Honestly, how does it do towing that 5’r?
Thank you. It handles that fifth wheel very well. When I pulled it from Henderson to our place in Williams I had a Jeep Cherokee XJ behind the fifth wheel on a tow bar. I never had any issues maintaining the speed limit but my fuel mileage what is definitely single digit under that load. On some of the larger Hills I just locked it in 6th Gear and let it sing at about 3,500 RPM.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
A32A0548-6CBC-41D5-9DBE-56AED7255AD7.jpeg
The tow capacity between gas and diesel is very significant...... just thought I'd throw that out there.
Of course it is. That’s why if you tow real heavy or often diesels are the only way to go.

But if you are less than 14k and don’t tow often gas makes more sense.

But.... if you have to be up the hill 1 minute faster and get 3-5mpg better go diesel.

There is a tool for every job. Pick which is best for you and your wallet.

Last edited:

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Of course it is. That’s why if you tow real heavy or often diesels are the only way to go.

But if you are less than 14k and don’t tow often gas makes more sense.

But.... if you have to be up the hill 1 minute faster and get 3-5mpg better go diesel.

There is a tool for every job. Pick which is best for you and your wallet.
There is always plan B LOL
Screenshot_20210311-172528.png

Bobby_329

Reaction score
I currently have a 2019 GMC 2500 gasser. I have never been in love with the truck. After all, it is just a truck. Its leveled with wheels and tires. Tires are stock diameter but a little wider. This truck has the 6.0. I am disappointed with the power and obviously with the fuel milage. I just clicked 56,000 miles and over that time has averaged 11.5 according to the computer. If I average fuel at $4 per gallon, I have spent $20k on fuel. The diesel upgrade I think is $10k. If the diesel gets double the economy I would be even at this point. So that brings me to my current question. What are the real world numbers on new diesel trucks? I am a die hard GM guy but the new GM trucks do not excite me too much visually. The ford looks good but I have done so much ford bashing that I don't know that I can do it. Might be able to pull off a dodge?? My BIL has a 2021 Ford and is getting great numbers. Does anyone have any true numbers they can share? I do a fair amount of driving and towing but no giant boats or trailers at this time. Thanks in advance for taking time to share.
When i had the 2012 6.7 ford 13 was about what it got on 35's if you drove it real nice you could get 15 but who wants to drive like grandma. I feel the same about the new gm's there just ok nothing that cool about them interior and exterior. I like the rams, don't like the trans options but the interiors are sick. Not a ford guy but i think for 17-22 its the best one.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the small duramax in the Yukon?

Not a Yukon, but my wife just got her Escalade with the 3.0 Duramax. Badass unit, mid high 20's mpg and good power. Much better choice than the 6.2 gasser imo

If I didn't want the ability to tow heavy, I'd get rid of my deleted 2017 6.6 Duramax and just get a 1/2 ton with the 3.0

Attachments

• Escalade.jpg
    Escalade.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Yoshiro

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4. Lifted 3.5" with 36x13 tires. Gets about 18MPG on freeway trips. 14.9 around town. Towing from Oregon to Havasu (28" nordic heat) got 12.5MPG. 50k miles on it so far. It's got a nasty oil leak coming from the front engine cover now. Runs great though, love the truck.

Can't find good techs either. I took my Cummins in to fix the oil leak. Made an appointment weeks in advance as I had a 10 day vacation coming up where I didn't need the truck. Came back 10 days later.... They verified it does in fact have and oil leak. And informed we there were 3 recalls that the truck needs. (Of course they didn't perform them or fix the leak). I picked the truck up and thanked them for the excellence service.

My wife is a service advisor at a Chevy dealership. She's seeing lots of problems with the new baby duramax, and the factory hasn't figured out many of the fixes yet so have lots of patience. They will throw a code and derate. The factory says you need to pull over and restart the vehicle. That's their answer for the moment. Also, on the gassers they have a lifter issue. Lots of rigs with 4-10k miles on them sitting in her shop and guess what, parts availability issues. Chevy warranty will only cover changing out one side, so be prepared for the other side to fail.

When buying a new rig be prepared to pay a high price and at the same time have lots of patience for all the issues you will face with both the vehicle, and the service departments. Buy a big factory warranty.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@bldrinker what 5th wheel did you decide? i would hate to go up cajon pass, bakers grade or the gorge in the summer with a gas truck im sure you'll be like the semis with the 4 ways on by the top of the hill.

@LBZRCKS was there a real benifit to deleting it? besides no def and the sick sound!

Boat211

Reaction score
Not a Yukon, but my wife just got her Escalade with the 3.0 Duramax. Badass unit, mid high 20's mpg and good power. Much better choice than the 6.2 gasser imo

If I didn't want the ability to tow heavy, I'd get rid of my deleted 2017 6.6 Duramax and just get a 1/2 ton with the 3.0
Looking into that option as well. Looking to drive one this week.

Boat211

Reaction score
‘What rear end do you have? My 2500 HD Crew Cab, 2wd, with a 4.10 rear end get 13 t0 15 mpg. The 4.10 is a great rear end for the 2500 HD.
I'm actually not certain. I will have to check.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
@bldrinker what 5th wheel did you decide? i would hate to go up cajon pass, bakers grade or the gorge in the summer with a gas truck im sure you'll be like the semis with the 4 ways on by the top of the hill.

@LBZRCKS was there a real benifit to deleting it? besides no def and the sick sound!
I put a halt on the fifth wheel idea last year when I thought I was loosing my job over the vaccine mandate.
I’m not sure what direction we will be going with as far as RV. We may sit out another year again depending on prices. I’m not supposed to get my truck until June anyway.

But I really liked my big bumper pull. May go that route again. Not sure.

As far as gas truck up big grades. You would be surprised!
cajon 55-65mph
Baker was 45-50mph
Hill out of Bishop was 40-45.

It would do more if I rang it neck out. There was throttle left.
6.4 Hemi 6 speed 4:88 w/ 34” tires
Trailer empty was 10k loaded I was north of 12k-13k depending on where I was going.
When I went up the Bishop hill I’m positive I was well over 13k.

410E3FCC-53FF-467F-91BC-9045EE299734.jpeg

Dr Rob

Reaction score
I put a halt on the fifth wheel idea last year when I thought I was loosing my job over the vaccine mandate.
I’m not sure what direction we will be going with as far as RV. We may sit out another year again depending on prices. I’m not supposed to get my truck until June.
But I really liked my big bumper pull.

As far as gas truck up big grades. You would be surprised!
cajon 55-65mph
Baker was 45-50mph
Hill out of Bishop was 40-45.

It would do more if I rang it neck out. There was throttle left. View attachment 1079718
I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised when you get your new truck.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@bldrinker i guess like you said if you dont tow much it works. im towing something 3-4 times a month. i like being able to see a hill and not worry about how slow im going to be going by the top of it.

@WhatExit? what model is that? and what ar thos white things under the steps? i wish mine had 6 legs it only has 4

CLdrinker

Reaction score
@bldrinker i guess like you said if you dont tow much it works. im towing something 3-4 times a month. i like being able to see a hill and not worry about how slow im going to be going by the top of it.

@WhatExit? what model is that? and what ar thos white things under the steps? i wish mine had 6 legs it only has 4
Yeah if your towing that often it makes sense. My busy month would be twice. And I will be likely less than 14k.
And I only drive 5000 miles a year. I sold my last Ram with 13,000 miles. That took me 3years.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
2021 F350 6.7 with the 10 speed.

This is the trip tracker after a 2 week road trip with the 10k boat/trailer. I kept it around 72-74 once I was out of CA.

About 400 miles of the 3700 total miles were without the boat.

Trip was: SoCal -> Tahoe -> Fallon, NV -> Boise -> Sandpoint, ID -> Kalispell, MT -> Salt Lake City -> Back to SoCal

And you can see the truck mileage at the time... Left on this trip with about 1700 miles on the truck. So probably better once broken in more.

I'm convinced that it can do 20mpg at 75mph on the freeway.

I just haven't reset the trip tracker on a couple trips to the river. I need to do it next time.

IMG_9383.jpg

IMG_9072 (1).jpg

IMG_9073 (1).jpg

IMG_4338.JPG

Last edited:

LBZRCKS

Reaction score

I'm on 35's and once I put those on it really killed the mileage, deleting it helped get some of that back. I was fortunate not to have any emissions issues but now I don't have to worry about any of that crap acting up. Also it seemed to regen at the most inconvenient times, I'd drive 300 miles to Havasu without it doing a regen and then once I got to my storage and hooked up it would start and I'd get the message on the dash to keep driving, cleaning filter.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

This is the trip tracker after a 2 week road trip with the 10k boat/trailer. I kept it around 72-74 once I was out of CA.

Trip was: SoCal -> Tahoe -> Fallon, NV -> Boise -> Sandpoint, ID -> Kalispell, MT -> Salt Lake City -> Back to SoCal

And you can see the truck mileage at the time... Left on this trip with about 1700 miles on the truck. So probably better once broken in more.

I just haven't reset the trip tracker on a couple trips to the river. I need to do it next time.

View attachment 1079744

View attachment 1079747
View attachment 1079748
View attachment 1079749
Dam that’s a good looking truck.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@LBZRCKS i didnt go much bigger on my tires as i didnt want any issues with the 5th wheel, or having to lift the truck to have bigger tires. its only got 78k on it. plan on taken long road trips this summer with the kids so deleting it for more mpg would be best!

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I average 17.5-18 in mixed driving

2020 ram 2500 4x4 crew cab long bed standard Cummins

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Is it comparable to the Izusu in the Colorado? Have a customer with a lifted 4x4 Colorado crew. He gets around 25, mixed driving. 100k in and no hiccups yet. It does burn a bit of oil though, about a quart between changes. If he stays on top of it, no worries. Nice little truck though.
We have a 2019 Colorado ZR2 Bison with the Baby Duramax (Izusu) I left one of the trip readers alone, it's averaged 23MPG since new. We have just under 40K on it. For an S10 it's alright. I have had a bunch of Jeeps before this little truck and like this much better. If I drive it nice 28MPG is obtainable. 30 MPG is not realistic. DEF is an additional cost that should be considered in fuel mileage. That stuff is a PITA.

I miss having a Fullsize 1 ton, but this little truck keeps me from getting speeding tickets and buying toys that require a trailer.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

2021 Ford F-350 Super Duty with 6.7 Powerstroke diesel and 10-speed. Lariat model with Lariat Ultimate package. Has most everything the Platinum has except butt massagers and badging.

White things under the steps? You referring to the chrome side edging on the power steps?

Oh, You’re referring to the two white squares under the trailer. Those are 4” x 4” plastic fence post tubes I purchased at Home Depot and mounted under the trailer. Great for storing the sewer hose so it doesn’t go inside the fifth wheels storage compartment - they don’t reduce under clearance.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@WhatExit? oh sorry was asking for the model of the trailer? seeing how much montanas are they didnt come with the storage for the sewer? my reflection did.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
@WhatExit? oh sorry was asking for the model of the trailer? seeing how much montanas are they didnt come with the storage for the sewer? my reflection did.

Yes, the trailer came with a storage tube but it's not long enough for the sewer tube I carry. The 2nd square fence post tube was for the folding ladder (when closed it's less than 4" square) which I liked but I returned it as I never used it and didn't want to carry the extra weight.

085200_1.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 2.12.14 PM.png

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 1079744

View attachment 1079747
View attachment 1079748
View attachment 1079749

Not 20, but pretty dam close!!

RIVERBORN

Reaction score

Nice…. Actually order the same color scheme. But a Yukon.

petie6464

Reaction score
New diesel trucks are basically only for posers. A light duty diesel was a cool thing before DEF, SCR, DPF, Regens and a Cornecopia of sensors.

The green minds fueled by fuel companies have miraculously figured how to make a diesel engine run cleaner by using another consumable and by using more fuel to make it happen. .🤔 It's amazing..

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
The gas trucks have a pretty high towing capacity, for a gas rig. However, if I was towing 11,000 plus on a regular basis, I would get a diesel. If not, the gas will be fine.

Icky

Reaction score
The gas trucks have a pretty high towing capacity, for a gas rig. However, if I was towing 11,000 plus on a regular basis, I would get a diesel. If not, the gas will be fine.
Just for reference a 3500 limited mega cab srw in both gas and diesel. Obviously switching to a dually and some other configurations have a much higher capacity, but apples to apples...
Screenshot_20220110-222334_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20220110-222450_DuckDuckGo.jpg