WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you listening to, right now?

C-2

Reaction score
Kris Kristopherson's original "Me & Bobbi McGee" Such a GREAT song and his version is the best in my opinion.

Most don't know, he wrote it.

"Me and Bobby McGee" is a song written by American singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson and originally performed by Roger Miller. Fred Foster shares the writing credit, as Kristofferson intended.[1] A posthumously released version by Janis Joplin

The suggestion for the title was a cordial challenge from producer and Monument Records founder Fred Foster to Kristofferson. The titular character was named for a studio secretary, Barbara "Bobbie" McKee, but Kristofferson had misheard her surname. He explained that he was trying to convey the despair of the last scene of Federico Fellini’s La Strada in which a broken, war-torn, inebriated Anthony Quinn stares up from the beach at the night's stars.

I always thought Bobbi died of an OD in the song but descriptions of the song say they "parted ways".

The song is the story of two drifters, the narrator and Bobby McGee. The pair hitch a ride from a truck driver and sing as they drive through the American South. They visit California and then part ways, with the song's narrator expressing sadness afterwards.

Of course, that's from Wikipedia, so not necessarily the facts of the matter. Kristopherson says in the song "I pulled out my harpoon from my dirty red bandana" aka slammin' heroin.

Anyway. Great song. His drawl and slow approach to it has a sadness to the whole thing.
Yup, agreed, big Kristofferson fan here, just picked up the vinyl with him and Rita Coolidge singing their awesome duet of Help me Make it Through the Night.

Nashville initially rejected him because of the intimate, personal nature of the songs he wrote; the tight-asses weren't ready for that.

If you search this tread, you'll see I once argued he is one of the most talented songwriter/performers, ever.

Graduated Pomona College (yeah look that up) summa cum laude w/degree in English lit, was published in The Atlantic Monthly, earned Rhodes Scholarship for Oxford, graduated w/degree English Lit, later offered position to teach English Lit at West Point.. joined US Army and went thru Ranger school, attaining the rank of Captain and became a helicopter pilot, and most importantly, took an oil company helicopter and landed it on Johnny Cash’s lawn to get his attention.

Another member argued...is he better than Dave Grohl? Well, maybe not, but clearly he is more accomplished than 95% of the rest of us and his songs will continue to be played in perpetuity, whereas Grohl's songs will eventually fade...

Sunday Morning Coming Down is another heavily covered tune that was best sung by Kristofferson.

Have you ever experienced a divine intervention? The story he told...

C-2

Reaction score
Another great Kristofferson song, sung by Anita Carter, Johnny Cash's sister in-law, who was married at the time to Bob Wooten, Johnny's longtime guitarist and member of the "Tennessee Three" after Luther Perkins died. Cash and his family were truly a country music dynasty in the late 60's thru early 70's.

C-2

Reaction score
And speaking of the Great Gig in the Sky, sure would be nice to see Susanna take a shot at it, lol.

Ennio at the young age of 90 playing at the Roman Empire Nimes arena. As seen in the video, they were rockstars in Italy.

Tank

Reaction score
Yup, agreed, big Kristofferson fan here, just picked up the vinyl with him and Rita Coolidge singing their awesome duet of Help me Make it Through the Night.

Nashville initially rejected him because of the intimate, personal nature of the songs he wrote; the tight-asses weren't ready for that.

If you search this tread, you'll see I once argued he is one of the most talented songwriter/performers, ever.

Graduated Pomona College (yeah look that up) summa cum laude w/degree in English lit, was published in The Atlantic Monthly, earned Rhodes Scholarship for Oxford, graduated w/degree English Lit, later offered position to teach English Lit at West Point.. joined US Army and went thru Ranger school, attaining the rank of Captain and became a helicopter pilot, and most importantly, took an oil company helicopter and landed it on Johnny Cash’s lawn to get his attention.

Another member argued...is he better than Dave Grohl? Well, maybe not, but clearly he is more accomplished than 95% of the rest of us and his songs will continue to be played in perpetuity, whereas Grohl's songs will eventually fade...

Sunday Morning Coming Down is another heavily covered tune that was best sung by Kristofferson.

Have you ever experienced a divine intervention? The story he told...

Damn! I'm a big fan and I didn't know all that. That is a straight impressive resume!

Honestly, it took me a while to warm up to his singing style over the years. I always thought he was a bit to gruff and almost out of key and remember when I'd hear him sing with the Highway men I'd be like, "whys this dude singing, he's an actor" LOL. Didn't realize it was vise versa and how much of an amazing musical career he'd had. He is by far one of the greatest over-all music talents of all time. He's getting up there in age. Gonna be a bummer when he goes.

Thanks for posing that.👍

Reactions: C-2

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Damn! I'm a big fan and I didn't know all that. That is a straight impressive resume!

Honestly, it took me a while to warm up to his singing style over the years. I always thought he was a bit to gruff and almost out of key and remember when I'd hear him sing with the Highway men I'd be like, "whys this dude singing, he's an actor" LOL. Didn't realize it was vise versa and how much of an amazing musical career he'd had. He is by far one of the greatest over-all music talents of all time. He's getting up there in age. Gonna be a bummer when he goes.

Thanks for posing that.👍
… He and Rita Coolidge we’re playing at the Whiskey A Go Go on sunset… I walked upstairs to the dressing rooms… Turned the door knob to what I thought was our dressing room… Nope wrong one… I was staring face on to Rita Coolidge… Nobody seemed to care???…

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I know I’ve posted this one before. Hope not too recent. Yea, I’m quite the creature of habit.

C-2

Reaction score
This just rolled across Tidal and then I found it on YT.

Awesome!

C-2

Reaction score
Damn, he just cancelled the North American dates due to COVID..

Screenshot 2022-01-07 113021.png

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Damn, he just cancelled the North American dates due to COVID..

View attachment 1079163
I know KLOS were giving away tickets to this a couple of months ago. I can’t remember if it was for shows then or for that Feb 18th show in LA. It looks like it would be a good show to check out.
Fearless is a great song. 👍

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… thought because I’m about 3/4 of the way through Chrissie Hynde’s autobiography…thought I would dig through my stash and see what I have at the way of pretenders vinyl…
.., I highly recommend her autobiography… She explains very well the transition from rock ‘n’ roll to punk…
… she was a true wild child..,
5201FEFB-264D-452E-9CF2-F65EF983FB24.jpeg

C-2

Reaction score
… thought because I’m about 3/4 of the way through Chrissie Hynde’s autobiography…thought I would dig through my stash and see what I have at the way of pretenders vinyl…
.., I highly recommend her autobiography… She explains very well the transition from rock ‘n’ roll to punk…
… she was a true wild child..,
View attachment 1079302

Hells yes, Chrissie is the best female rocker ever. A true bad ass. Thus far I've picked up 3 Pretenders vinyls

C-2

Reaction score
I know KLOS were giving away tickets to this a couple of months ago. I can’t remember if it was for shows then or for that Feb 18th show in LA. It looks like it would be a good show to check out.
Fearless is a great song. 👍
I'm embarrassed to admit I wasn't familiar with Fearless until I saw Britt Floyd a few years back.

Agreed, it's a great song.

C-2

Reaction score
So I've always been a huge fan of The Bangles, their 1984 record "All Over the Place" is still one of my all-time favs. Before they hit it big in pop, their older records were played on rock station KLOS 95.5...not KISS FM, lol.

Their jangly guitars were influenced by Alex Chilton and Big Star. Chilton was best known for his band The Box Tops and the song "The Letter." You know, "Give me a ticket for an airplane, ain't got time to take a fast train.."

Anyhow, I was clicking thru Rolling Stones "Best Songs of All Time" on Tidal and was surprised to see "September Gurls" on the list. It put a smile on my face to read after the Bangles recorded the song in 1986, Chilton's royalties allowed him to buy his first new car since the Box Top Days, and a piece of land in Tennessee.

Life ain't easy as a rocker...

C-2

Reaction score
Another "I never knew that" discovery.

"Alone Again, Or" was a decently popular alternative 80's song from the punk/new Wave group The Damned. But this past weekend I heard the original...by Love. And found a great, current cover, too.

Awesome song, I'm sure anybody could cover the song and it would sound great...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… And here’s the real guy Arthur Lee in his later years… I must’ve seen Love live at least 100 times???…

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
I believe you posted about Love before; I recognized the name.

Listening to them for about the 3rd time now...mellow tunes, great harmonies 👍

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I believe you posted about Love before; I recognized the name.

Listening to them for about the 3rd time now...mellow tunes, great harmonies 👍
… Their first three albums… were definitely mind expanders…Love…De Capo and Forever Changes…
…they were unlike any other band…

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
Well crap. My 30-year old "BPC" equalizer wasn't packed away correctly.

BPC is what the audio snobs call 80's stereo gear...Black Plastic Crap. Lol.

Maybe they got a point?

Screenshot 2022-01-11 224525.png

C-2

Reaction score
I've always thought KD Lang has an incredible voice. The first time I heard her cassette of "Angel With a Lariat" my uncle and I were blown away. Who is the chick singing a weird mash up of country and punk? Sad she was mostly shunned because of who she is.

After Roy Orbison died I remembered watching this tribute live on TV as it happened, and she gave what I think is one of the best live vocal performances, ever. Or at least, that I've seen. Her 15-second last note of Crying is incredible - the change in chords, the tone and the range she carried in one breath...

C-2

Reaction score
Hey WTH ever happened to BONER, the guy who started this thread?

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Tom Petty was a huge influence towards my music listening influence.
His death was a shock to me.
He died day after Route 91 shooting. 2017. Four plus years already.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I worked with this guy in Nashville last year. It was at the Bluebird theater. That day we also shot Tim McGraw, Luke Combs, Miranda Lambert for the CMA awards. Some good memories. But Jimmy Allen has some great tunes. And this is one of them.