WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WTF...... trying to buy wheels

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Good God this is ridiculous, I've got about 30hrs into page after page after page looking for something I like
if you want black wheels (yuck) sky's the limit, but if want chrome or polished FORGET IT!!!!! very little choice and a 100% chance of being back-ordered for at least 3-5 months or discontinued.
I never thought finding a 17x9, 8 lug chrome wheel would be so hard :mad:

F250ION1417976C18.jpg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The black wheels will make it faster😄🤣
I can sell you my OE alloys from my 22 yr old truck😊

JFMFG

Reaction score
Good luck waited for my fuels for 6 months.

jailbird141

Reaction score
Ya, the new younger generation thinks black everything is just so cool. Looks like DOO DOO to us old guys. Bring back Cragars and US Mags. Hell with this black shit.
Maybe a couple cans of "chrome" spray paint will get you the look you are after? 😂😂

Swain

Reaction score
I can get wheels and wheelpros and mht wheels if anyone needs them.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Chromie for the homie!

Cruise over to Discount and let them help you find something.

Maybe search Ultra Wheels, XD Wheels, both have some chrome stuff for old people. Method won’t have anything for you.

just_floatin

Reaction score
I am “chrome wheels matter” guy myself 🤣 Have you tried eBay motors?

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
tirerack.com
discounttire.com
bigotires.com

Roosky01

Reaction score
I went through this last Spring with new wheels (had 2 bent OE's) for our convertible. You could find a quantity of 2 or 3, but never a full set. I went through every supplier imaginable for 2 solid months to finally find a set that was acceptable.

The boats from China must still have a bunch of wheels loaded on them.

Reactions: DWC

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Just went through this argument with one of my sons last weekend. Blatck wheels were cool for a few years, and are still OK on the off road stuff, but I am done otherwise. They are boring as heck. Stick to your guns, Karl!

Nordie

Reaction score
I think the wheel size is probably more of an issue...however I'm not actively searching for wheels.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm just super glad that gold center wheels are not making a comeback😄
Chrome or black choice is dependent on vehicle/color/application. No one finish is perfect for all applications albeit personal preference dictates final decision.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
CJC off-road has done some method race wheels in chrome. They look really, really good. Check out their IG or Facebook. I think one was a Ford

Riverryder

Reaction score
@SummitKarl i just got wheels last year on my diesel. I wanted 17s but nitto didn’t have load rating I needed for the 5th wheel. So I had to go 18s. Just a heads up.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Just talked to my guys at WheelPros who do XD, KMC, etc. and they don't have anything in stock nationwide.

@BassLakeCruiser mentioned Method and CJC. They have a couple of machined finished options and I am waiting to hear back from them on availability.

D19

Reaction score
I know the struggle. I found one set I like and they're back ordered. I hear that finding tires is also a pain.

Waterheater

Reaction score
I went through this 5 years ago when I bought my truck. Wanted Chrome and everyone thought I was crazy. Couldn't find chrome anywhere. Everything was black. I don't like black wheels never have. Everyone was calling me old school. Now 5 years later everyone that was giving me shit are starting to buy chrome wheels.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have always had chrome wheels. I really thought the black wheel craze would have ended by now.

Maybe buy black wheels, and spray them with a rattle can of Okie Chrome, like the reverse of plasti-diping your aluminum wheels. 😜😜

I do think 17" could be the problem (I didn't know they still sell 17"). I had 17" back in 2000 on an Expedition. There were very few wheel and tire options. All my diesel trucks came with 18" wheels, and had a much better selection.

Last edited:

RichL

Reaction score
Ya, the new younger generation thinks black everything is just so cool. Looks like DOO DOO to us old guys. Bring back Cragars and US Mags. Hell with this black shit.
Wish I could like this more than once.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you can find polished or unpainted, my plating guy can turn them around in chrome in 2 days...PM me

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I have always had chrome wheels. I really thought the black wheel craze would have ended by now.

Maybe buy black wheels, and spray them with a rattle can of Okie Chrome, like the reverse of plasti-diping your aluminum wheels. 😜😜

I do think 17" could be the problem (I didn't know they still sell 17"). I had 17" back in 2000 on an Expedition. There were very few wheel and tire options. All my diesel trucks cam with 18" wheels, and had a much better solution.
for the most part 17's are the mainstay of off road, so you get sidewall, 20" wheels on 35's are no good for absorbing rock's, ditches...etc

RVRKID

Reaction score
They have these as well bore is 125.2 +18
Raceline Throttle.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
They have these as well bore is 125.2 +18
View attachment 1083293

I have a set of machine finish methods on my truck. I’d like to get then polished. I normally go through Tucker Tire but you’re closer. Is this something you could do and if yes how much and what kind of turnaround time. Last, are you Tony or Scott Strangio?

fast99

Reaction score
I used to work at a tire store. The owner said most or all chrome wheels were offshore now. Said the chemicals that are required to get the chrome to stick to aluminum are an environmental problem. It is too expensive to do in the US now. Don't have any documentation to back that up but he had no reason to tell a story. There is a powder coat that appears very close to chrome but doesn't appear many wheels have that finish.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I used to work at a tire store. The owner said most or all chrome wheels were offshore now. Said the chemicals that are required to get the chrome to stick to aluminum are an environmental problem. It is too expensive to do in the US now. Don't have any documentation to back that up but he had no reason to tell a story. There is a powder coat that appears very close to chrome but doesn't appear many wheels have that finish.
Yep. We did a project about 25 years ago for LA County in Compton off the 91 and Santa Fe. It used to be a chrome wheel plant. Took forever for the clean up to allow people to work inside without getting sick.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Maybe a couple cans of "chrome" spray paint will get you the look you are after? 😂😂
I'm not looking for anything other than what came on my vehicles OEM. Who the hell would I try to impress. I did all my wheels and tire stuff prolly before you were born, like 45 years ago.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have a set of machine finish methods on my truck. I’d like to get then polished. I normally go through Tucker Tire but you’re closer. Is this something you could do and if yes how much and what kind of turnaround time. Last, are you Tony or Scott Strangio?

No. His name Chris. And the service there is first class. 👍🏼

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Pick the style of wheel that you like, then have powder coated silver, or whatever color really. Powdered gloss wheels are so easy to clean as well, my poor truck has been left outside the past 6-7 years and they still look new.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

Hey hey hey, I feel like I am part of that younger generation and I love chrome or polished wheels. No black wheels for me!!!! I actually had slot mags on my first suburban right out of highschool

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I have been waiting a year for these. Got one right away and have been waiting 13 mos on the other 4. Last update was first week in feb. They are prob sitting off the coast of LB.

Attachments

• 1643382268816.jpeg
    1643382268816.jpeg
    932 KB · Views: 40

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

INDY_ET_24_8_LUG_17x10_POLISHED_A1_1000.png