WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Howard 288!

legend14

Reaction score
Any input on the benefit of putting a 5 Blade Maximus Lab prop on this deck boat with a Mercury 600 SCI engine and XR drive?? Is there a improvement in handling? Performance?? Or going with a Lab finished prop??
Also, are Electric/Hydralic brakes on a trailer worth the expense??? Triple axle!

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Hydraulic brakes in my opinion. Electric brakes if not service and cleaned properly tend to have problems or seize up. 3 axle trailers seem to be the rage so if it’s not much more money I say go for it. Helps stabilize when towing plus if you loose a bearing while towing it helps to have 5 tires on the ground. Plus, no denying the cool factor of a 3 axle. I’m no expert on props and opinions will vary but when I was researching a 5 blade for my boat (525 XR drive) I was told they are a great all around prop but tend to eat drive gears while getting on plane. Again opinions vary. What does the manufacture suggest? Call around the different drive shops and get opinions. Congrats on the new build. Again this is just my .02 and I’m no expert

Tony DCB Boats

Reaction score
Any input on the benefit of putting a 5 Blade Maximus Lab prop on this deck boat with a Mercury 600 SCI engine and XR drive?? Is there a improvement in handling? Performance?? Or going with a Lab finished prop??
Also, are Electric/Hydralic brakes on a trailer worth the expense??? Triple axle!
Yes on the Max 5 for all around better performance and mid range. Electric brakes all the way.
-Tony

shunter2005

Reaction score
Electric brakes will work for you as long as you don't dunk the trailer in salt water. The down side to electric brakes, imo, is you have to use drums instead of disc brakes.
If you go EOH you will never have anything else.

rush1

Reaction score
Electric over hydraulics are the only way to go completely eliminates the surge tongue and bumping around , my buddy had pacific trailers convert his trailer for his Nordic Heat and it works great.

farmo83

Reaction score
Teague covers this extensively in his teague talks on props. Check it out on YouTube. He's competitive on prices as well. The max 5 is basically a 5 blade bravo 1 and is ideal for a heavy deck boat, not so much for smaller boats. They are around 2k a pop and available in 1 inch of pitch instead of 2. Make sure you do your homework before you pull the trigger.

Tony DCB Boats

Reaction score
Just curious, is using the maximus 5 blade prop harder on the drive gears? Just looking for reliability as well as performance.
I think it helps and the only part that is more strenuous is the fact that the slip factor is down. The prop is way more efficient.

On the pricing.... You better do your homework as we are OEM. Pricing on everything is through the roof. Retail on a Max 5 is over 2,500.00.

-Tony

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
The Maximus was not a good prop for my boat. The Max 5 is very good and is what I currently run. The 5 blade is a much better prop in my opinion.

8 mph more in the midrange
Gets on plane with about 600 less rpm
Comparable top end to Bravo 1

legend14

Reaction score
The Maximus was not a good prop for my boat. The Max 5 is very good and is what I currently run. The 5 blade is a much better prop in my opinion.

8 mph more in the midrange
Gets on plane with about 600 less rpm
Comparable top end to Bravo 1
Whats difference between the 5 blade maximus and max 5 blade??

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Whats difference between the 5 blade maximus and max 5 blade??
The Maximus has a long tube and a short tube. The blades are bigger, more surface area. The one I tried was the long tube. It provided too much lift for my boat.

The Max 5 is a shorter tube. The blades have less surface area, just like a Bravo 1. Less lift.

legend14

Reaction score
The Maximus has a long tube and a short tube. The blades are bigger, more surface area. The one I tried was the long tube. It provided too much lift for my boat.

The Max 5 is a shorter tube. The blades have less surface area, just like a Bravo 1. Less lift.
I see. You think I should have Mike out the short tube on then? I’m sure he should know.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Mike know what works and doesn't. He definitely can hook you up. I tested both a 28 pitch 4 blade (now my back up) and a 28 pitch Max 5 on my 288 and boat ran like 700-800 less RPM at 60MPH which is our cruising speed. XR Drives are worthy and up to the task with the 600 (no Whipple upgrades IMO) so long as you treat them nice when getting on plane and coming off plane. I know several inmates that have done up to Stage 3 with impressive results but not sure of how they drive or longevity. The only compromise I observed on the 4 blade vs. 5 blade was sacrificing a couple MPH on the top end which we don't utilize often. Good Luck

legend14

Reaction score
Mike know what works and doesn't. He definitely can hook you up. I tested both a 28 pitch 4 blade (now my back up) and a 28 pitch Max 5 on my 288 and boat ran like 700-800 less RPM at 60MPH which is our cruising speed. XR Drives are worthy and up to the task with the 600 (no Whipple upgrades IMO) so long as you treat them nice when getting on plane and coming off plane. I know several inmates that have done up to Stage 3 with impressive results but not sure of how they drive or longevity. The only compromise I observed on the 4 blade vs. 5 blade was sacrificing a couple MPH on the top end which we don't utilize often. Good Luck
Thanks for reply! So with the Max5, not the Maximus 5, the boat runs a little better with less effort at the lower RPM?