WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rotator Cuff surgery...anyone here gone through it?

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Finally got in to see the Orthopedic surgeon after months of waiting for an appointment in pain. Apparently all of those years pitching up and into college wasn't such a hot idea. Note to young fathers here that want your kid to be a young pitcher in Little League...WAIT! Wait until they are at least in high school before putting that much wear/tear on their arms.

Anywho...anyone here go through the surgery? Experience with recovery time? I was told 4-6 months and up to a year for complete healing.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I had mine done 3 years ago... The most importing thing you need to do is PT.. I was back to work as soon as I got my sling off, I think it was 6 weeks. But for a full recovery I'd say it was more like a year but everyone is different. Good luck..

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
both of mine twice PT is huge and ice is you friend. don't want to scare you but my 12 knee surgeries were a lot easier

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I want to add, make sure you stay on top of your pain management, at least for the first week. I was gonna be a tough guy and only take some OTC pain meds, lol. I woke up the first night in the middle of the night shaking I was in so much pain. Take the meds, and stay on top of it. The ice machines are ok, but ice packs just get colder. Keep it iced up.

Springfield

Reaction score
Ice and Oxy the first week for sure, PT is a must and about 6 months, that's my experience. Best of luck.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
bot of mine twice PT is huge and ice is you friend. don't want to scare you but my 12 knee surgeries were a lot easier

Have done knees, feet, facial reconstruction, and shoulder and agree that shoulder was the worst. You don't realize how much small movement there is in your shoulders throughout regular activity until that movement causes excruciating pain. Sleeping was the hardest, invest in a very high quality recliner, it will be your best friend for sleeping for the first 6-8 weeks

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Finally got in to see the Orthopedic surgeon after months of waiting for an appointment in pain. Apparently all of those years pitching up and into college wasn't such a hot idea. Note to young fathers here that want your kid to be a young pitcher in Little League...WAIT! Wait until they are at least in high school before putting that much wear/tear on their arms.

Anywho...anyone here go through the surgery? Experience with recovery time? I was told 4-6 months and up to a year for complete healing.
not the answer for kids.....the answer is to make sure they are on a good throwing program that takes care of their arm.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
not the answer for kids.....the answer is to make sure they are on a good throwing program that takes care of their arm.

So you're saying the current trend of year round baseball, on 3 different teams, with daily pitching lessons from coaches might not be the best for a developing arm?

FCT

Reaction score
Do your research and find the best possible doctor you can find or that fits what you want. That is a very very important part of a shoulder surgery. Shoulder surgery suck but if you have a great doctor and be diligent on your physical therapy you will be good. Once you start feeling good and you feel like you can be back to normal don’t because you still have a long ways to go shoulders and knees give you a false sense of “healed”

FCT

Reaction score
If it’s your dominant arm, learn to wipe your ass with your other arm before the surgery. Those that have been through it will understand what I’m talking about.
What’s even worse is having two broken legs a broken left arm and a sprained right wrist all at the same time. Don’t ask me how I know🤣

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Funny story.
I tore mine the last day of 8th grade in 1984 diving for a baseball.
I had and arthrogam where they inject the die and x-ray your shoulder.
The doctor described the surgery as having to drill a series of holes across a bone, raise my arm over my head, and then sew the muscle back to the bone using the holes !
Then they were going to put a 'post' between my hip and elbow to keep my arm up over my head, and slowly lower it down over a 6 month period.

Right when he finished describing this procedure, I passed-out and hit the floor ! Not kidding, I woke-up to a nurse holding me, and giving me water !

I ended up getting a second opinion and that Doctor told me to put it in a sling for 3 months and don't move it, but that I'd eventually need surgery in probably 20 years or so. I ended up going to Lake Oroville that summer and knee-boarded on a Hydro-Slide with one arm ! LOL

I'm STILL deathly afraid of ever getting that surgery, although I understand they can do it a LOT less obtrusive now with orthoscopics.

Best of luck with your procedure.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
So you're saying the current trend of year round baseball, on 3 different teams, with daily pitching lessons from coaches might not be the best for a developing arm?
its sad what some people are doing to their kids in the hopes they will get a scholarship.....they simply dont understand the numbers and have no idea the damage they are doing.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
I had mine done a few years back. 6 months is an accurate time assessment and as others have said, PT is critical. Also, go slow! You'll start to feel better and think you can do more....don't! It can set you back by months or even having to starting over.....

The ice machine was crazy helpful and well worth the money. I didn't use hardly any of the narcotics prescribed for pain. Good Luck!!

Reactions: FCT

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I got a good story too....

Senior year we are playing for the D1 CIF championship and possible mythical national championship. We beat #2 team in nation in semis and playing the #1 team in the nation in finals. Anyhow last pitch of the game we roll a dp to win it. Im on my knees with hands in the air on the mound and my catcher proceeds to spear me. then the dogpile ensues catcher has me pinned to the ground dogpile shifts my left shoulder is ripped out of the socket . All the pictures from getting the awards that night my shoulder is completely out of socket and hanging. Instead of the after party i goto the ER. They put my shoulder back in place and then we head for pizza and beers lol...- the beers for me. My shoulder has been a mess since. I have trouble raising my hand above my shoulder and the pain is still excruciating. The kicker is.......if it would have been my right shoulder i would have never played again and never made it to the MLB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see by your area code that you are in San Diego. I will highly recommend Tal David do your surgery. Both my neighbor and I have had both shoulders done by him. Pitchers and quarterbacks from all over fly in to have him do their shoulders. He literally wrote the book on arthroscopic shoulder surgery (most orthopedic surgeons have it on their shelf). I was 100% (able to lift heavy at the gym) by month 6 which is why athletes choose him.

Last edited:

havasujeeper

Reaction score
This is week # 4 from having rotator cuff and torn bicen tendon surgery. All was fine until the PT crew over-pushed it, and now I think my rotator cuff got another tear in it. Teach me for going to Pomona Valley Hospital, then their own physical therapy department. Next time I will be going back to Kerlan Jobe.

I sleep great in a recliner. I go into a flat bed, and I'm up all night moaning and groaning. I've tried Lydocaine patches, 5% Lydocaine cream, every pill known to man, nothing helps. This doc doesn't waste their time on ice machines or TINES units. My recovery is hindered as a result of not wanting to spend a bit more money for patient care.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
its sad what some people are doing to their kids in the hopes they will get a scholarship.....they simply dont understand the numbers and have no idea the damage they are doing.

Very sad, and unfortunately not just a baseball issue. On the football side it's year round 7 on 7 teams too. Not necessarily doing specific damage to kids like overthrowing can but increases general wear and tear. Also, well rounded athletes are much less likely to get burned out on their sport halfway through college IMO

hman442

Reaction score
Maybe try a different prop ?
I've not had it done, but one of my auto techs, age 61, took off work August 12, had one done, when it healed enough to "pull up his pants, etc., he had the other done. Lots of physical therapy, came back to work March 1st. He's doing good, but can't do much above his head type work, like removing a transmission, etc

RichL

Reaction score
I had mine done a few years back. 6 months is an accurate time assessment and as others have said, PT is critical. Also, go slow! You'll start to feel better and think you can do more....don't! It can set you back by months or even having to starting over.....

The ice machine was crazy helpful and well worth the money. I didn't use hardly any of the narcotics prescribed for pain. Good Luck!!
This was my experience as well including the ice machine. Like others have said 6-8 weeks in the recliner. Couldn't take a shower for the first 2 weeks which didn't go over well with me but made it work.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score

Yes, both shoulders!

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Arthroscopic surgery is said to take between 4-8 weeks for recovery. Not like I have much of a choice though. Just sitting here typing is a painful experience, sleep is difficult and exercise is next to impossible. I hate the saying but it is what is it...

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Have you looked into the success rate of the type of surgery you are considering?

and have you looked into any sort of stem cell / PRP before going the surgery route?

bigdawgmini

Reaction score
As all have stated above!! Recovery is a BITCH!!!! Sling 12 weeks, PT for a year..Total knee replacement was WAY easier!

Javajoe

Reaction score
I had both shoulders done two years apart about four years ago by the best surgeon ever. Both of them were full thickness tears. In two weeks I was able to lift both arms above my head and I was golfing two weeks after that. Riverside medical clinic Dr. Choi. His dad did my first one and then he retired and his son did the second one. Not a lot of pain. Guess I was the lucky one out of everybody else. I was worried the second one wasn’t gonna be as good as the first as healing goes but it was the same. Had my elbow done after that and that hurt more but recovered nicely

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I had both shoulders done two years apart about four years ago by the best surgeon ever. Both of them were full thickness tears. In two weeks I was able to lift both arms above my head and I was golfing two weeks after that. Riverside medical clinic Dr. Choi. His dad did my first one and then he retired and his son did the second one. Not a lot of pain. Guess I was the lucky one out of everybody else. I was worried the second one wasn’t gonna be as good as the first as healing goes but it was the same. Had my elbow done after that and that hurt more but recovered nicely
This is the first response that hasn't scared the bejeezus out of me. LOL.

Javajoe

Reaction score
This is the first response that hasn't scared the bejeezus out of me. LOL.
Yea I put it off a long time. I actually cancelled my surgery during my pre-op when the Dr. told me the recovery time because I was way too busy to take that much time off. He wasn’t happy lol. But…I ended up taking just a week off but wore the sling for a few weeks. When I saw the DR and asked if I could raise my arm at all and I raised it above my head he about fainted lol. I was 50 when I had it done. I still did PT for like 2 weeks I think twice a week. Iced it all the time after surgery. All the guys in PT were all fucked up. Barely could lift their arm. One across from me laughed when I told them I went golfing. The PT guy asked if the Dr. said it was ok. I said well he didn’t mention I couldn’t 🤣

FCT

Reaction score
Research Dr. Kramer out of Newport Beach in my opinion he is the best for Shoulders.

rrrr

Reaction score
full recovery is more like a year. at 6 months you can do stuff with it, but it will be easy to fuck it up again. the pt is must do to ensure you regain full range of motion.
I've had both sides done, and my left needs surgery again. I've been putting it off, because it really takes a year to recover 100%. You gotta stay with the program on PT too.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I did mine three years ago, full thickness tear, three anchors in my labrum, bone spurs ground off, sub achromial decompression A/c repair. I over did my rehab, and pushed it too early, and tore it again I think about a year after. I get the shot every three to six months, seems to help a little, but it’s killing me again. Don’t be an idiot like me, do it right.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
been there, done that. All what has been said. DO NOT miss PT. Very important, or you may need to go back under....... ask me how I know...
2nd, schedule ALL your PT well in advance of the surgery. Good PT's book up for months in advance, You want the best guy (PhD in PT) available when YOU want to go. Not, you gotta take whats available. Schedule early as possible (months ahead) Prolly 2-3 times a week. Yes, for months.

nordictom

Reaction score
Had both shoulders done, about 8 years apart. Right side is good, but the Doc told me it would never be 100%. I am probably at 90% 3 years later. I waited too long for the surgery. Look Up Wesley Nottage in Laguna Hills. Recovery wasn't too bad for either shoulder. DonJoy IceMan cooling pump is the best for the recovery.

Seas

Reaction score
I had rotator cuff surgery July 31, 2017. In a sling for a month then started PT 3x a week. It killed my fall boating season. We have an annual ski trip every February, and I mentioned to my doctor, "Surely I will be able to ski 6 months from now". His reply, "Not on "my" shoulder you're not!". No way should you be dirt biking (or even bicycle riding) for a year. The orthopedic did say if I was going New Zealand (Southern Hemisphere) in July and wanted to ski, he wouldn't have a problem with it. But if you fall on it before it is fully healed, you risk a full shoulder replacement as repairing the new damage may simply be too great.

Take your time, listen to your physical therapist and don't rush the recovery (including lifting weights beyond very light ones). Trying to be Mr Macho Man and pushing yourself before your body is ready will result in a much longer recovery. Rotator cuff surgery is no joke, no matter how tough you are. Best of luck!
IMG_1786.JPG

PDQH2O

Reaction score
My son had it three times on the same shoulder at different times, due to HS baseball and football, then D2 college football. Two were arthroscopic, last was slicing and all we’re by renowned surgeons. He’s doing well for an 80 year old man though he’s in his early 40s :) .

Best tip I can offer is to get the cold water circulator machine if at all possible. In each of the surgeries it shortened recovery and made the process much less painful. our insurance wouldn’t cover it so it was well worth the purchase.

Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
. . . after reading all these replies . . . no way in hell am I having that fucking surgery, STILL . . . I'd rather eat a bullet.
Fuck That.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Being a Powerlineman and constantly working with hands over my head I developed osteoporosis arthritis. So doc cuts off the ball in my right shoulder and replaced it with carbon alloy ball. He cleaned out the socket and said I’d be 95% pain free and if i wanted to come back after I retire, he’d line the socket with plastic And make it 100% pain free. They performed the surgery and kept me overnight cause my benefits were pretty good. Veery next morning nurse comes in And Says they don’t want any scar tissue and immediately starts rehab with arm lifts. 4 armlifts 4x day, raising it a little bit higher each day until sutures come 10 days later. They gave me oxy i think, which i took for 5 or 6 days then I switched to aleve. After the 10th day, I started seeing a PT for 1hr to 1-1/2 hrs twice a week for 9 months. Within 6 months I could windmill my arms in all directions and at 8 months cold throw a football 40 yards again. As for any pain maybe once a year does it ever hurt. Immediate stretching rehab is key!

Javajoe

Reaction score
Well Tuesday is the big day. Surgery is outpatient so I won't miss work (yippee) :rolleyes:. Necessary evil...
Funny shit. You will be bandaged up big time. I bought big shoulder ice packs that you ice up and rotate. Plan on being out a week. Gotta sleep on your back. Put pillows around you so you don’t roll over. Use melatonin or something to help you sleep on your back. Good luck

havasujeeper

Reaction score
It has been 10 weeks since I had shoulder surgery. Still going to physical therapy once a week, still wake up in pain after 4 hours of sleep, but shot my pistol for the first time 2 days ago. It is the slowest recovery bar none, even worse than having both of my knees fully replaced.

rrrr

Reaction score
Rotator cuff and subacromion decompression surgery on my left shoulder is scheduled for June 6. I've been putting up with the pain for eighteen months, and in the last 60 days it's gone out of control.

Indications from the MRI suggest major damage and 4-6 months in a sling. The good news is even though I'm left handed, I wipe my ass with my right hand.

:rolleyes:

Javajoe

Reaction score
My elbow surgery hurt worse than my shoulders . A real dull shitty pain

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
This is week # 4 from having rotator cuff and torn bicen tendon surgery. All was fine until the PT crew over-pushed it, and now I think my rotator cuff got another tear in it. Teach me for going to Pomona Valley Hospital, then their own physical therapy department. Next time I will be going back to Kerlan Jobe.

I sleep great in a recliner. I go into a flat bed, and I'm up all night moaning and groaning. I've tried Lydocaine patches, 5% Lydocaine cream, every pill known to man, nothing helps. This doc doesn't waste their time on ice machines or TINES units. My recovery is hindered as a result of not wanting to spend a bit more money for patient care.
Which PVH PT? I was at La Verne prior to my surgery and they sucked.

Had surgery two weeks ago and told my surgeon I won’t go back. Getting referred into Casa Colima.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I've been going to their Monte Vista satellite center in Claremont. Yeah,not impressed but supposedly, since the PT notes are all linked to the patient portal, the doc could view my progress, if he wasn't such an arrogant ass who think he can walk on water. Next time, TEAM PT in Rancho will be my go-to place for therapy, and Kerlan Jobe will do my surgery. Casa Colina is suppose to be top notch. Good luck.