WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Key Fob Not Detected

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So the wife is coming home from great wolf lodge with the kids.

Key Fob not detected pops up in the screen.

I replaced the key fob battery probably a year ago.

She said she didn’t get the fob wet.

The car battery is original.

Vehicle is 2018 Durango GT

She is scared it’s gonna shut down on the dam freeway.

Thoughts?

Good Stuff

Reaction score
So the wife is coming home from great wolf lodge with the kids.

Key Fob not detected pops up in the screen.

I replaced the key fob battery probably a year ago.

She said she didn’t get the fob wet.

The car battery is original.

Vehicle is 2018 Durango GT

She is scared it’s gonna shut down on the dam freeway.

Thoughts?
It should keep driving as long as she doesn’t turn it off. I’ve left mine at home after running inside and driven back to get it. Key fob get left behind? Purse on the roof? 😳

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
It cannot shut down while driving, worse case is she wont be able to restart the vehicle as if the key was not present.

Get a new battery, if it still doesnt work you have a bad fob

HCP3

Reaction score
Don't turn it off. If she has to shut it down, watch this for start instructions.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Car will keep going. Just don't turn it off until she gets where she is going.

Icky

Reaction score
Another thought, if she keeps the fob in her purse, it's possible something has been hitting the buttons and killing the battery on the fob.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well she got home and I went and bought a battery.
Turns out this dam thing has 2 batteries! And they are a mother effer to replace. They are under the passenger seat.

I put a new key fob battery in as well.

Guess we will see. I’m leaving tonight so she is in her own lol.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
In a ford, you pull the cup holder out and there’s a place to insert the key fob under it. Insert it and you can drive with a dead key.

I would guess Dodge has the same deal.

HCP3

Reaction score
Turns out this dam thing has 2 batteries! And they are a mother effer to replace. They are under the passenger seat.

Show her the video I posted. It might help with any anxiety she has over the situation.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

What's under the passenger seat??

*scratching head*

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
On my old Cummins that was an anti theft glitch.
I had to pull the master ignition fuse and put it back in to reset the computer.
Or unhook the battery to reboot.

If she leaves it run she should be ok.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Moms Jeep has 2 batteries the one that start the car and the one under the seat runs all the inside stuff and is small like a rzr battery

BAS

Reaction score
In a ford, you pull the cup holder out and there’s a place to insert the key fob under it. Insert it and you can drive with a dead key.

I would guess Dodge has the same deal.
They all have tricks. Even for the gear selector when completely dead.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The fob batteries go dead pretty quickly- especially on a single driver main fob. Split the fob and change those first. Easy to do.

Edit: saw you did the fob batteries. Did that work? Factory vehicle batteries were probably also shot. They last 2-4 years in my experience. Put interstates in mine (from interstate not Costco- and not the cheap ones) when they fail.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
My wifes '06 Dodge Magnum had the battery in the back next to the spare tire.
Seems pretty common these days. I actually like it better. It keeps the battery from being cooked by engine heat.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
The actual batteries that start and run the car?? They are in the passenger compartment??

😱😱😱
Yeah they have hoses that connect to the battery and vent outside the car on my Grand Cherokee . Tripped me out. The real shitty part is that the seat over it is full electric. If my battery completely dies I can’t move the seat to get to the battery for replacement. Have to jump start it and move the seat then replace it. 🤣🤣

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yeah they have hoses that connect to the battery and vent outside the car on my Grand Cherokee . Tripped me out. The real shitty part is that the seat over it is full electric. If my battery completely dies I can’t move the seat to get to the battery for replacement. Have to jump start it and move the seat then replace it. 🤣🤣

So BMW has the battery in the RH side of the trunk (where is should be). They also put jump points under the hood.

Dodge didn't do that?

C-2

Reaction score
The actual batteries that start and run the car?? They are in the passenger compartme

So BMW has the battery in the RH side of the trunk (where is should be). They also put jump points under the hood.

Dodge didn't do that?
My Benz was under regular passenger rear seat with jumper posts under the hood, too.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Unfortunately the seat then. 4 bolts, and a couple plugs.

530RL

Reaction score
The emission requirements of stop/start in many cases but not all require a starter battery typically but not always in the engine compartment or trunk and another typically but not always in the cabin to run some other systems. Although they can be put in weird combinations depending upon where the manufacturer designed it.

When storing cars, where you put the battery tender gets complicated and you have to refer to the manual to determine whether you can use one tender or have to use two. Sometimes you can use the jump posts if the two batteries are not completely isolated in the electrical system such as most but not all MB cars and sometimes you have to put a tender on each individual battery.

It’s a pain if one owns more cars than drivers and some don’t get driven frequently. Car batteries have now become like aircraft batteries. It’s cheaper to just replace them every three years even if still good than to get stranded.

It’s almost to the point where you need an electrical engineering degree to deal with some of this stuff. ☹️☹️

hman442

Reaction score
Daughters GMC Acadia battery is under one of the front seats. BMW & Mercedes SUV are under there. I guess it's the new thing

jet496

Reaction score
Reminds me of the audio I heard years ago of a family trying to shut their car off because it was doing 100 mph on I-125.

I also don't like how our vehicles will automatically lock themselves sometimes on their own accord when we leave the keys in them, which we do at our house. That has caused problems & now we keep spare keys hidden, put key pads on a couple and/or pay to keep Onstar, which has come in real handy.

If I get out at an airport dropping off or picking up, I roll a window down or make sure I have my phone.