WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Smooth coat drywall patch OC

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Any recommendations for someone who can do a few smooth coat drywall patches In Shady Canyon Irvine? All my good guys are tied up and 90% of drywall guys can't make smooth coat patches disappear.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
problem is the build up from using drywall tape... the lump gets so big you have to skim the whole wall to make it disappear

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Yeah that’s a pain! Had to do it myself for a medicine cabinet we took out! Luckily I summoned my summers after high school doing doing drywall to make it disappear but it reminded me why I stopped! We did a custom home in arrowhead with a spiral staircase and the guy wanted smooth coat down the wall to his game room and the staircase was lit from can lights in the ceiling! Talk about pain in the ass trying to make all the little shadows and ripples disappear!!!

Anyways sorry I can’t help.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If you know what you’re doing you can make it disappear.
LOL....I know how to make it not show.... I do it all the time.... I just don't use tape.... the way I do it its one thin layer... then blend that with a thin layer thats sanded smooth..

DWC

Reaction score
Yeah that’s a pain! Had to do it myself for a medicine cabinet we took out! Luckily I summoned my summers after high school doing doing drywall to make it disappear but it reminded me why I stopped! We did a custom home in arrowhead with a spiral staircase and the guy wanted smooth coat down the wall to his game room and the staircase was lit from can lights in the ceiling! Talk about pain in the ass trying to make all the little shadows and ripples disappear!!!

Anyways sorry I can’t help.
My dad has been doing drywall for longer than I’ve been alive. He’s been swamped with smooth walls for awhile now. Sounds like a shit load of work.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
oh yeah, I use a paper bag instead of tape... that way you don't have the tape ontop of tape lumps... I also sand the area next to the patcjh to make sure it doesn't have paint and mud build up.. and like I said... you might have to sim a big section of the walll... just check with a straight edge and make sure the patch is lower than the wall to finish...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
most rollers on mud patches come from pulling the mud the same dirrection every time... I do x coats and cross coats..also cross hatch with a long board when you sand...

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Call Bob Cagle drywall in Newport Beach and ask him if one of his workers would like to do a side job.He gets in the office early during the week. Bob used to race drag boats back in the day. One of the nicest men on the face of the earth.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I cheat. I use a 48'' drywall knife. I've worked with 2Forcefull. He knows what's up. 💪
It all depends on how big of a patch it is. I’m pretty good with a 16” knife. The trick is to know when to stop dicking with it.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Topping mud is for topping. Trying to get speedy mud to look smooth is a tougher row to hoe!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Change the light bulbs in the room from 100W to 60W and most of the drywall issues disappear.
Also go with a textured wall surface and finish it off with Navajo white paint. That’s the recipe for hiding low quality drywall finishing.

Backlash

Reaction score
I know 2FF is "The man" when it comes to any project that is "Manly," but I've never heard of doing drywall patches without tape.

Splain me, por favor.

Groper

Reaction score
I got a guy 50yrs of experience in smooth finish a commercial guy but he's now living in Tx. he could probably do it for $300.00 but the fuel surcharge cost from TX. to Ca. would be about $3k.
Let me know he can be there in 2 days 😁

Wheeler

Reaction score
I know 2FF is "The man" when it comes to any project that is "Manly," but I've never heard of doing drywall patches without tape.

Splain me, por favor.

He cuts his old polyester leisure suits into strips and uses them as tape. He pinks the edges of the strips first of course.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Also go with a textured wall surface and finish it off with Navajo white paint. That’s the recipe for hiding low quality drywall finishing.
are we still using Swiss coffee or are the Navajo making another run at the settlers.?

wallnutz

Reaction score
I got a guy 50yrs of experience in smooth finish a commercial guy but he's now living in Tx. he could probably do it for $300.00 but the fuel surcharge cost from TX. to Ca. would be about $3k.
Let me know he can be there in 2 days 😁
That's a little ironic. My dw patch guy just moved to Texas last week, left us before he finished a job. I had to try and finish it lol. I didn't tape any of the small squares the electricians cut out. Just screwed some backing in and mudded over the top, than floated them out.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
That's a little ironic. My dw patch guy just moved to Texas last week, left us before he finished a job. I had to try and finish it lol. I didn't tape any of the small squares the electricians cut out. Just screwed some backing in and mudded over the top, than floated them out.
yeah, that'll crack and shrink.. show me the wall, and I'll show you where you patched it... I can show you how to do it with out backing screws or tape...

NicPaus

Reaction score
are we still using Swiss coffee or are the Navajo making another run at the settlers.?
Navajo white was 20+ years ago. Followed by Swiss coffee that is now 10 Years out of date. It's now Silver polish.

Groper

Reaction score
Bahahaha 🤣, I used SC for 30yrs on every TI and bought it by the pallet, Navajo was too dark IMO

TrabucoDave

Reaction score
Any recommendations for someone who can do a few smooth coat drywall patches In Shady Canyon Irvine? All my good guys are tied up and 90% of drywall guys can't make smooth coat patches disappear.
Give George Alexander a call. Does great work. He's in Lake Forest 949/677-2701