WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How expensive would gas have to get to to quit boating ?

farmo83

Reaction score
The gas price thread got me thinking about how expensive would gas have to get for me to leave the boat in the garage. Also I work in oil trading and trust me when I say barring everyone deciding russian products are ok to burn there is not relief coming.

I live in Texas and feel at about 7-8 bucks I would leave the old girl at home so about another 2.50-3.50 from current prices.

What say the fellow inmates?

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I have a client that is a high up at Chevron. We started talking about gas prices and the conversation went to him saying $10/gallon will happen. I said there was no way and Biden would get decimated. He said, it's already in Europe and we just are just behind them so get ready.

farmo83

Reaction score
I have a client that is a high up at Chevron. We started talking about gas prices and the conversation went to him saying $10/gallon will happen. I said there was no way and Biden would get decimated. He said, it's already in Europe and we just are just behind them so get ready.

LOL I work for Chevron too.

While it's not getting a lot of press the main problem now is refining space. We're on the verge of rationing as it is. Russia is I believe the top or second exporter of diesel and gasoline and there is no place to make up those bbls.

Most of US refining is on the gulf coast. If a major hurricane roars through that region there is no limit really to what prices will see.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
So were headed to Hong Kong?
Rather go to Venezuela...

1653054529333.png

1653054558970.png

zhandfull

Reaction score
Use to keep the RV and boat in Parker for the summer. The last time gas prices hit $5 a gallon, think it was about 10 years ago. I called it quits and cut out the every other weekend trips.

Interestingly enough I have a trip scheduled to Parker in the RV coming up soon. First time in 10 years. Boats long gone but looking forward to hanging out on the strip!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I would imagine proximity to your favorite boating spot is a big factor. People fortunate enough to have a second home or they’re set up out on the island have the option to drive an economical car out.

hallett21

Reaction score
$25? Honestly I’d never give it up. If gas becomes that outrageous, I’ll be charging an insane rate at work or have a fleet of EVs.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I am going to beat them at their game. Picking up a EV, most likely Tesla because the left is starting to hate them. Picking up a row boat. Going to have my wife drop me in Laughlin where I can launch and float back down to the lake where she will pick me and the row boat up. 👍

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Filling up a Topock 66 once primed me for expensive gas. It only hurts when you give them 3 $100 bills and you only get a couple of ones back. Not even enough for a piece of beef jerky.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
I heard in WA state they are reprogramming pumps with an extra digit so they can have $10+ prices.

Singleton

Reaction score
$12 a gallon will be my decision point. Already have told the family, more floating and beach time vs running to Springs and Topock on the same day. Weekend trips will be cut back and we will do weeks at the Islander instead, with very limited and maybe no eating out when in Havasu.

RaceTec

Reaction score
People have always asked me if I am worried about the cost of fuel or EV's. I am not worried, there will always be people that want to burn fuel! This is already an expensive hobby and seeing the kind of money some of you have on here I am amazed! I think the guy burning $1k in fuel is going to be fine burning $2k in fuel...

badgas

Reaction score
I could not have said it any better. Eat at home instead of a $250 meal at Dolce.
Last time out I was asked about gas prices stopping the boaters and making crowds smaller. I pointed to over to a boat that had quard 450r's hanging of the back and told my wife " Those motors where more than our house " I realize that an extreme comparison but there is lot of money out on that lake.

It is very subjective but It will always effect the guy that takes a few trips a year and has to budget for each trip and that sucks.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
$12 a gallon will be my decision point. Already have told the family, more floating and beach time vs running to Springs and Topock on the same day. Weekend trips will be cut back and we will do weeks at the Islander instead, with very limited and maybe no eating out when in Havasu.
Same exact plan for us. My 240 gallons will need to last 4-5 days.

Maybe we can go sit in the boat in the slip and make believe we’re ripping up and down the lake?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Come on you pay $150k for a boat $75k for a truck And $700 for a second home! Fuel is just noise!

🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫

You can’t let them know that or they will come after more. By the way it was $40k for the boat, $100k for the truck and $1200 a month for the house. But we hopefully will be upgrading the boat in a year or so. 👍

MagicMan

Reaction score
Driving back and forth from Cali will definitely shorten weekend turn around trips. I plan on less trips but for a longer duration 5 day minimums. Im the friend with the boat, my crew is the best they always pitch in and this helps with increased costs. If gas gets to $10 per gallon the lake will definitely empty out.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Have you guys ever figured out how much it costs just to go boating?

For me…….. It costs at least a hundred bucks every time I take my boat out, before gas.

Boat Insurance
Hurricane Insurance
Tow Boat Insurance
Boat Servicing
Boat Detailing
Power Pedestal Electric Bill
Water Bill
Miscellaneous Bullshit

It would cost me even more if I didn’t own my boat and dock outright, but then I have to figure out what the loss of approx 250k in cash actually costs me per month. It could be as high as $200 every time I take my boat out?

I try not to think about the high price of boating………. I just go out and enjoy myself!

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Fortunately both my rigs have pee-shooters that get really good mileage.
But inversely I don't make or have a lot of $$$.
Honestly, if it gets over $10, I'll have to budget a bit wiser and friends will have to pitch in if they wanna tag along. Just the way it is.
I'm tightening up already . . .next months river run, I'll be crashing in my truck . . . can't see spending $250 to sleep in a hotel from midnight only to split at 6:00 am.
I'll sweat balls to save $250 fuck it.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I bought a hybrid and use it to go back and forth. So it was $40 bucks to fill when I left Monday morning and I I won’t have to fill until I come back next Thursday. I put $150 in the boat and it lasted 3 days on the water. I think I would tolerate up to 2.5x those amounts or $10 a gallon I’d cutback.

I also have the ability to share rides both in the car and on the water so we probably all pile into one boat if it was really $500 in gas for two days on the water

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Last time out I was asked about gas prices stopping the boaters and making crowds smaller. I pointed to over to a boat that had quard 450r's hanging of the back and told my wife " Those motors where more than our house " I realize that an extreme comparison but there is lot of money out on that lake.

It is very subjective but It will always effect the guy that takes a few trips a year and has to budget for each trip and that sucks.

Agreed.

Selfishly I'd rather people just give up and not go at all, but the reality is you can make the dollar go further by changing some habits while at the river. No one ever said "I had a shitty weekend at the lake because we grilled hot dogs and burgers for dinner instead of steak at a restaurant"

The reality for me is I'm not stopping at all. 55 gallons of 87 lasts me 4 days of running around.

People say memories with your kids and family are priceless.. This is the price.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We aren't out on the water near as much as we'd like as it is. The main reason I bought the POS was to offset my fuel consumption at home. (Reallocate funds, but same overall $)

Until I need the gas for making molotovs, I'll burn it elsewhere.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Used yacht market is going to take a hit I imagine. Cousins holds a few thousand gallons. Filling up at $10-12 a gallon is going to make those Catalina weekends pricey.

At 80 gallons my boat will be out like usual. As many trips as work allows.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I don't think that I would complete stop boating, because I haven't been using my boat as much as I'd like to already. I will likely cut back on the amount of run time and do more floating as others have said

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Here is the real problem for the economy. Gas is a commodity and is necessary.

Most people cannot change what they do on a regular basis as it pertains to buying gas at least in the short term. So we will all continue to buy the same amount at least on average (some people might reduce while others won’t)

Those that consume the same will just spend less money elsewhere. There will be less going out, less buying crap we don’t need and less buying things we do need. It’s gotta come from somewhere.

What that means is higher energy prices means a slow down in the rest of the economy. (History repeating itself)

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I'm more worried about food shortages starting and people not eating when gas is $10 bucks and Diesel hits $12 bucks and Truckers start parking their rigs. Boating is a luxury! My boat is pretty stingy on gas and I probably burn 20 gallons on a normal day so $15 bucks ($300 per day) would probably be the time I park the boat and have a lot more pool days!

This green policy the left has evoked is imploding on them. Even Elon Musk a lifelong Democrat just switched his vote to the Good Guys on the right! Who misses $1.79 Gas and Mean Tweets? 🤪

Jay Dub

Reaction score
$10 a gallon would change the equation some. change food menu options when in Havasu. In n out burgers versus Cha Bones. sack lunch on the boat versus Topock 66. maybe a lil less WOT.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I won’t stop. I just increased my fuel budget for the year. It is what it is, nothing I can do about it. Like I said earlier we just spend less elsewhere.

Fuel is NOT the most expensive part of boating, the boat itself is followed by the house/hotel, etc.

I average about 100 gallons for a long 3 day weekend. In 2019 that was $350, last year was $450 and this year it will be $650 (NorCal)