WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LOST LAKE!!! Possibly on fire, mandatory evacuation issued

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
So Big River is NOT BLM land leased by the CRIT?

No way, no how??

I heard it was from two different people. One had a place there, and the other was a woman at the launch ramp guard house.

She said...

Her family owned Parker Oil. She seemed pretty legit to me?

There are some areas of Big River that is BLM, but CRIT doesn't manage it. What they have is theirs, AKA Reservation.

white tortilla

Reaction score
918B9E19-8AEB-49EC-B386-0E2571AC6238.jpeg
Not taken from a house at big river that is on land no one owns. Since 1992.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
How far south are you?
2 miles upriver from Aha Quin. The highway is open, there wasn’t a CHP blocking it last night, I drove right in.

The night before, it was closed but my wife just told the officer where she was going and he let her through.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Post 19.

Maybe @rivrrts429 can shed some light on this subject as well?

My area of Big River is on leased land from CRIT. BoatCop is correct that there are pockets of BLM land within Big River but a majority is leased CRIT land.

timstoy

Reaction score
I would never buy property that is not deeded. The Indian lease is not worth the paper it’s written on as they are a sovereign nation and you can’t take them to court. They can change the lease at any time and not in your favor. If you do enter a lease make sure you can afford to lose the money you put into it. The next couple of years will be interesting when these leases are up.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My area of Big River is on leased land from CRIT. BoatCop is correct that there are pockets of BLM land within Big River but a majority is leased CRIT land.

Really interesting.

We drove all around Big River last year. I had no idea how HUGE that area is!

There some killer places in there, and some sketchy spots as well. Is there a map showing what areas belong to who?

Anyhow, like I said, I wish I would have grabbed a plot back in the day. Loved staying at LL and enjoying that section of the river.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Really interesting.

We drove all around Big River last year. I had no idea how HUGE that area is!

There some killer places in there, and some sketchy spots as well. Is there a map showing what areas belong to who?

Anyhow, like I said, I wish I would have grabbed a plot back in the day. Loved staying at LL and enjoying that section of the river.

Ya it’s pretty expansive. Much bigger than it looks from the highway.

I think my Dad has an older map. I’ll ask him. It’s maybe from 25 years ago. It’s not specific to CRIT or BLM land but you can still see what is what.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Just went for a cruise upriver. Along the river, it looks like the fire made to just up from Hidden Valley. It’s currently burning much closer to Agnes Wilson.
LL
812221DD-12ED-4FE1-AFA7-FAF4586E4396.jpeg

Closer to Agnes.
062AC663-0BB3-45E0-A0D8-553D26DF890E.jpeg

1312CD69-E330-4300-9CF1-8B5E1CC729D3.jpeg

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Just went for a cruise upriver. Along the river, it looks like the fire made to just up from Hidden Valley. It’s currently burning much closer to Agnes Wilson.
LL
View attachment 1120541
Closer to Agnes.
View attachment 1120542
View attachment 1120543

What's really bad about this, and any other wild fires along the River, is that as the mesquite burns off, tamarisk (salt cedar) will take over. The tamarisk thrives in the ash and burned out areas, and, if left alone, will overgrow the native mesquite and creosote. They also suck up so much water that, if they were totally eradicated, we wouldn't have so bad of a drought/water shortage situation. One average tree can suck up 200 gallons a day or 73,000 gallons a year. 4 solitary trees will drink 1 acre foot each year. Multiply that by the hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of tamarisk trees along the River, and that is quite an impact on the Colorado River system.

Just for comparison, mesquite only drinks about 21 gallons a day and creosote water use is so little, it hardly needs mentioning. A healthy creosote bush can go 3 years without any water.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Tamarisk took over for a while at powell. Then suddenly the tumbleweed took back over. Weird way of working

NicPaus

Reaction score
Is this fire still burning? Could see smoke from the lower sandbar earlier. Can smell it now in Parker.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Any recent fire status? Lots of smoke over Havasu this morning. Heard yesterday afternoon the fire was also burning on the AZ side of the river.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I would never buy property that is not deeded. The Indian lease is not worth the paper it’s written on as they are a sovereign nation and you can’t take them to court. They can change the lease at any time and not in your favor. If you do enter a lease make sure you can afford to lose the money you put into it. The next couple of years will be interesting when these leases are up.
This is why we put our Blue Water Lagoon place in just my wife's name. She's a card carrying citizen of the Cherokee Nation, and if they tried to fuck around on us about the lease, she has standing to fight it in Tribal Court. We made sure that they knew it, too. In the 10 years we owned it, didn't hear a peep from them.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Any recent fire status? Lots of smoke over Havasu this morning. Heard yesterday afternoon the fire was also burning on the AZ side of the river.
It jumped the River last night. Now burning on both sides. Structures along 15th Ave in the valley were evacuated, but so far none are directly threatened. They've done a good job keeping the fire from residences. So far, no buildings lost, which is a feather in the cap to those on scene and working the fire. From the start they said that this was their main objective, protecting structures.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Power came back on a few hours after I left LL. I still had ice in my freezer when I got there and a cooler packed for the day, so I didn't loose much. I grabbed my boat and headed to BR for the day. Launched just as my buddies up there were leaving their docks and ran up river to the cove and hung for the day. Ended up bak at their place for dinner and then headed back to LL for the night. Put the kids to bed and cranked the ac! I made sure to cover the boat last night because I had heard that the winds were going to pick up and man did they! My carports are black with ash. Walking outside was miserable this morning. I'm hoping the winds blow now and clear things out, otherwise we need a good rain to wash everything down. What a mess. Wilson Rd was still closed this morning so I've been through Vidal like 4 times in the last 24 hours lol. I was told that should be opened this afternoon, and it's CRITs call now. I think I watched the fire jump the river yesterday morning. I got to AW bridge just as they were closing the road. That's a long way around having to back track to Parker then to Vidal 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I didn't see any active fire this morning but visibility sucked cause of the wind.

I really needed some boating time this weekend and glad I made the effort to get down there. Be back in 2 weeks ✌️

4Waters

Reaction score
Power came back on a few hours after I left LL. I still had ice in my freezer when I got there and a cooler packed for the day, so I didn't loose much. I grabbed my boat and headed to BR for the day. Launched just as my buddies up there were leaving their docks and ran up river to the cove and hung for the day. Ended up bak at their place for dinner and then headed back to LL for the night. Put the kids to bed and cranked the ac! I made sure to cover the boat last night because I had heard that the winds were going to pick up and man did they! My carports are black with ash. Walking outside was miserable this morning. I'm hoping the winds blow now and clear things out, otherwise we need a good rain to wash everything down. What a mess. Wilson Rd was still closed this morning so I've been through Vidal like 4 times in the last 24 hours lol. I was told that should be opened this afternoon, and it's CRITs call now. I think I watched the fire jump the river yesterday morning. I got to AW bridge just as they were closing the road. That's a long way around having to back track to Parker then to Vidal 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I didn't see any active fire this morning but visibility sucked cause of the wind.

I really needed some boating time this weekend and glad I made the effort to get down there. Be back in 2 weeks ✌️
Might get your wish towards the end of the month

Wayn-o

Reaction score
1653920755902.png

1653920690985.png

Attachments

• 1653920647762.png
    1653920647762.png
    261.5 KB · Views: 40

MohavValley

Reaction score
It WAS a RV park just north of Lost Lakes a few miles. The sign is still there, but...

The word is the Indians couldn't seem to negotiate a new lease, and just decided to burn it down. I'm gonna guess @BoatCop knows a whole lot more than me about the facts surrounding this.

My Grandfather bought 500 feet of river front just south of Rancho not so grande, across from the intagilos in 64, 2 years before Congress illegally gave it back to the Indians (never went for a vote from what I understand). I was told Red Rooster was just north of Rancho not so grande and the owner blew it up with dynamite when he was forced to give it to the Indians. My family used to camp there before buying the land.

Family paid lease for many years down there, now our whole compound is 8 rentals for the Indians.