WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thieves stole my truck in Texas

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Just got back last night from Powell. We live in SoCal. I drove my Dually to Powell and wife drove my new (to me) 2017 Silverado 1500 LTZ. On Sunday she drove it to Texas with my daughters for a soccer tournament for my 16yo. They got to Dallas Sunday night and all is well. Last night truck got stolen in hotel parking lot. Sucks. Now I've got to get them a rental car for 5 days and a flight back home for Sunday night. I was really starting to fall in love with that truck, this sucks. That's it, I'm buying air tags for all my vehicles now. I have them in boat and enclosed trailer but cheap add for any help they might provide in vehicles.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Serious question

So you put an air tag on your car, it gets stolen. Then what?

Will the police even go to where the the air tag is? Will you go to where the air tag is? Will you go with a gun and start killing people that have your air tag and may or may not have your truck? Will these career criminals instead kill you? Will the police do this on your behalf?

Do you even want the truck back now that it has been stolen? Isn’t this why we just have insurance?

I’m sorry your truck got stolen in that situation. Huge pain the the butt.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Serious question

Will the police even go to where the the air tag is? Will you go to where the air tag is? Will you go with a gun and start killing people that have your air tag and may or may not have your truck? Will these career criminals instead kill you? Will the police do this on your behalf?

Do you even want the truck back now that it has been stolen? Isn’t this why we just have insurance?

Yeah, killing, that's what I was going for. I'm gonna air tag and kill some people.

Uh, no. Just think for $25 (I think that's what they cost) it's pretty cheap to have some useful info you could give to the Police. I agree it's up to them what they do with it.
You can hide air tags well enough that they won't be found.
Yes I want vehicle back if it's not butchered yet. Yes, that is why we have insurance.

You ask a lot of questions. I have one for you. For $25 don't you think it would be cool to know where your vehicle ends up? I think it would be fun as heck just to track it.

And thanks for the condolences.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know about Dallas, or "modern" car theft. It used to be in the 90's, in socal, higher demand vehicles were across the border border before sunrise. Higher demand "parts" were stripped off the carcass of donor cars quickly, usually before the car was reported.
"Higher demand" meant cars that were wanted by buyers in Mexico. Bigger money, more risk/time.
Higher demand parts were things like seats, wheels, front clips and air bags. Those could be sold locally to shady shops. Some shops in the ghetto seemingly employed parts hunters. Shops would by totals at auction, then gut a clean stolen car for the repair.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah, killing, that's what I was going for. I'm gonna air tag and kill some people.

Uh, no. Just think for $25 (I think that's what they cost) it's pretty cheap to have some useful info you could give to the Police. I agree it's up to them what they do with it.
Yes I want vehicle back if it's not butchered yet. Yes, that is why we have insurance.

You ask a lot of questions. I have one for you. For $25 don't you think it would be cool to know where your vehicle ends up? I think it would be fun as heck just to track it.

Honestly no, I don’t care that much. I already know my family’s location via their devices anyway. If someone were to borrow my truck or trailer I don’t need to follow up on where they are. If I did I wouldn’t loan it to them in the first place.

These things have their place, but also know they are easily defeated and will alert the thief that there is an air tag on the vehicle.

If the truck was left abandoned on some side road somewhere, yea I guess these may help, but I’ve had cars stolen.. I didn’t really want them back.

RVRKID

Reaction score
That sucks it got stolen out there and hopefully your insurance gets it handled fast.
One of my customers live out of their 5th wheel and we just finished his dually for him and they were staying in Texas while they were visiting The Alamo and the Riverwalk, never found it.
Just talking to my cousin on Fathers Day, his Ford Maverick got stolen out of Long Beach, it was found in Mexico with his plate still on, riddled with bullet holes and blood soaked seats. Fighting his insurance to get all the money since he can't even go buy one right now.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Serious question

Every POS that steals someone's property should be SHOT if caught as they try attacking you for catching them :)

Riverryder

Reaction score
will alert the thief that there is an air tag on the vehicle.
it only has a tone to tell you there's one near by but only does it after a certain time. if hidden enough it wont be found.

think its a little cheap insurance.
have them on my motorcycles

i had a truck stolen once. wished they never found it. they did and it sucked!!

LazyLavey

Reaction score
A lot of the GM 1500 series parts are made in MX...

they already peaky panny

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If your OnStar is active it can be located if like you say it isn’t chopped up yet.

Last edited:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Your only real course of action is to turn it over to the insurance co . That's what we pay for . a confrontation would probably not go well , remember he who has the least to lose wins . LEO probably won't help either . Sorry for your loss , I HATE thieves !

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Just got back last night from Powell. We live in SoCal. I drove my Dually to Powell and wife drove my new (to me) 2017 Silverado 1500 LTZ. On Sunday she drove it to Texas with my daughters for a soccer tournament for my 16yo. They got to Dallas Sunday night and all is well. Last night truck got stolen in hotel parking lot. Sucks. Now I've got to get them a rental car for 5 days and a flight back home for Sunday night. I was really starting to fall in love with that truck, this sucks. That's it, I'm buying air tags for all my vehicles now. I have them in boat and enclosed trailer but cheap add for any help they might provide in vehicles.
Welcome to TX, that truck is either A. being used to run guns/drugs for the cartels on a 1 time run and will be found trashed in a field somewhere, or B. being used for illegal immigrant smuggling and will be found in a similar matter trashed without the seats in it other than the driver and front passenger. F150's and that range of Silverado get stolen constantly for that purpose, as well as the low trim rams with a key vs fob.

Shitty deals, if you have amex call them they may be able to help you out on travel expenses due to the circumstances.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your truck... I now have AirTags in my Vehicles and other valuable items around the house just in case. Are they fool proof? No.. But it's better than nothing and for the price it's a no brainer. There is no way I wouldn't have one in a boat parked at my lake house.. Should a vehicle get stolen of mine you bet I would be on my way to get it back. I would notify the police what I'm doing and where my stolen vehicle is, if they want to help, great, if not I'm still going.

Can you image the look on the face of a thief when you knock on their door telling him you're there to get your truck back??

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Man that sucks!!!! I hope that your wife can roll with th e challenges. I know it could be hard on the family. Bummer that you were starting to enjoy the truck more. Just go out a buy yourself another one. You might get a better price on it since gas is up and sales are down. Best of luck to you all 👍

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Just for clarification here... It has been reported stolen right?

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
you ever wonder if the car companies make it easy to steal your shit because they want to sell you new shit. in todays age of electronics why the hell cant we make a theft proof ignition system?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
@was thatguy

What if they are RDP members? Asking for a friend.

532CE62B-90C0-43B2-B05C-2197F133A6C3.gif

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
you ever wonder if the car companies make it easy to steal your shit because they want to sell you new shit. in todays age of electronics why the hell cant we make a theft proof ignition system?

No, but I can attest that the very best car stereo thieves are car stereo installers.
Especially when they also install the alarms, and they know what insurance you have, and your address.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Hotel has camera footage. It took 3 minutes from beginning entry to being gone.

They also left a note that said, "Too bad you didn't use an Air Tag, then you could have come and killed us."

I had my wife leave a note back that said, "No worries, according to @LargeOrangeFont Air Tags are useless!"

We'll see what they say. I'll keep you posted.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Serious question

Just because you are not willing to ruin your life and kill a thief, does not mean others would not.

Besides, in the near future, there will be no police, and citizens will thank you for taking out the trash.

Mark my words.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Just because you are not willing to ruin your life and kill a thief, does not mean others would not.

Besides, in the near future, there will be no police, and citizens will thank you for taking out the trash.

Mark my words.

So I will be able to hire a mercenary to retrieve my truck? Will insurance pay for that or will the mercenary just come back to my house to rob and kill me and my family? :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Hotel has camera footage. It took 3 minutes from beginning entry to being gone.

They also left a note that said, "Too bad you didn't use an Air Tag, then you could have come and killed us."

I had my wife leave a note back that said, "No worries, according to @LargeOrangeFont Air Tags are useless!"

We'll see what they say. I'll keep you posted.

They probably tracked your truck with an air tag to steal it :)

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Sorry for your loss and having to deal with the think-he-knows-it-all who has to post.

I agree with you re AirTags, I have them in my vehicles and other items - if they help you find what’s lost or stolen then good for you and if they don’t or if you don’t want it back there’s no issue anyway.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Curious how they got it to start. A couple of years ago my 2007 Chevy got broken into in Oklahoma while we were transporting our Ultra 4 home. They damaged the ignition and steering column trying to start it, but the truck will not start without the key present, which has a little chip in it. Extremely thankful for that little feature as it prevented the truck, flat bed trailer, and Ultra 4 from being stolen.

Did they get rid of that feature in later years?

PaPaG

Reaction score
@was thatguy

What if they are RDP members? Asking for a friend.
I DON'T CARE who they are, if they are criminals and have stolen a vehicle and if able should be confronted and if the victim feels threatened of being attacked in any manner what so ever and they were in fear of bodily harm or death the suspects life should be ended and if they are an RDP member they lose their membership that they did not deserve to have :) :)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I DON'T CARE who they are, if they are criminals and have stolen a vehicle and if able should be confronted and if the victim feels threatened of being attacked in any manner what so ever and they were in fear of bodily harm or death the suspects life should be ended and if they are an RDP member they lose their membership that they did not deserve to have :) :)

Where do you land on embezzlement?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Curious how they got it to start. A couple of years ago my 2007 Chevy got broken into in Oklahoma while we were transporting our Ultra 4 home. They damaged the ignition and steering column trying to start it, but the truck will not start without the key present, which has a little chip in it. Extremely thankful for that little feature as it prevented the truck, flat bed trailer, and Ultra 4 from being stolen.

Did they get rid of that feature in later years?

Might be a keyless truck with just a fob. Depends on if it was a $100k truck or a $50k work truck.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Where do you land on embezzlement?
Same thing in my book, criminal act of steeling something of great value that is NOT Theirs and possibly financially ruining honest folks, I don' go for the Gasgone left winged snowflake loving soft on crime stances...HOWEVER, I don't believe in my kind of punishment for small time thief's of petty items even though I think their hands or at least a finger being cut off for each offense would do justice, I have known of a few business folks like the average RD business owner and many stories that have had money or supply/stock embezzled that ruined their life's hard work. End of life teaches the lesson for LIFE! :)