WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Should I or Shouldn’t I take this job offer………

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Before I give details of the offer, here is the yacht in question. What do you think of the yacht? Of course the boat in the video is not the exact boat in question, but you get the idea. Lol

I must admit, I really like the Yacht. At only 88’, it would be a piece of cake to operate and maneuver. It will also be berthed so close to my home, I could be there in 5 minutes in my golf cart. It also will be for private use only and no chartering. I like that!

The captains stateroom is a little cozy, but most of the use will be just day trips in my own back yard, with only a few Bahamas Trips, each year.

I am a little Leary about doing anything that sounds like work, but I might make an exception for this nice lady and her family.

Here is a boat show video……

Here is the manufacturers video…….

RaceTec

Reaction score
I have a buddy that is a private pilot in Gulfstream jets and the biggest issue is always the clients personality and schedule...
Looks and sounds bitchen! Is she single? (Asking for a friend)

mbrown2

Reaction score
What sort of crew? Just you and a engineer? Do you get to pick the crew?

Assuming everything lines up and owner is a personality fit....I cannot imagine saying no.

Roosky01

Reaction score
Raise this on that pretty girl and...well, you know the rest. :cool:

51XuTV5CbXL._AC_SY580_.jpg

TCHB

Reaction score
Salary and compensation package?

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
That boat looks a little narrow and top heavy. Where does it rank in its class and also can you use a jet boat as the dinghy? I don't see where you put the dinghy on that thing. I'm probably way off in my assessment but I say no way.

sirbob

Reaction score
If its just being day / short trip Capt. it looks like a nice gig (I assume you have qualified the owner already)

However, if its as full on Capt. of the boat gig, as I'm sure you know well already, it will be much more like work...

Are you dealing with maintenance?
Are you the planner and keeper of the clock for all the sub contractors - mechanicals / budgeting for the boat / regular washes / bottom cleaning / zincs / batteries / any toys onboard the need work/ etc etc etc?
Will you be required to hire other support crew?
Will you be doing the provisioning for when the owner uses the boat?
Are you on call 24/7 everyday or only on planned trips?
Flat fee annual pay or hourly while under way (can you include prep / before after fees)?
If full time flat fee - benefits provided?
Insurance issues?
and so on...

For a simi retired captain this looks like a nice daily flat fee gig that you can walk away from with out much of a commitment. if its all in - you really have to want it or need it to be happy.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Could care less about the exact type of boat. The important part is, what are the owners like. Are they uptight assholes......... or easy going boating types. I couldn’t imagine going to work everyday for an asshole owner . Life is way too short for that.

edit. A clarification..... I know ya said the lady was nice, but would she be good to work for ? That’s the biggest issue.

Last edited:

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
I don’t have any idea how the captain deal works, but having a attorney as my better half, LIABILITY comes to mind. How does that work? Is that one on you? As in, do you need your own policy to cover the vessel, crew, passengers, accidents to another vessel (or is that comprehensive within the scope of the vessel?). If it is in the scope of the vessel, can they (owner or other party), still pursue damages against you as the operator?

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
If its just being day / short trip Capt. it looks like a nice gig (I assume you have qualified the owner already)

However, if its as full on Capt. of the boat gig, as I'm sure you know well already, it will be much more like work...

Are you dealing with maintenance?
Are you the planner and keeper of the clock for all the sub contractors - mechanicals / budgeting for the boat / regular washes / bottom cleaning / zincs / batteries / any toys onboard the need work/ etc etc etc?
Will you be required to hire other support crew?
Will you be doing the provisioning for when the owner uses the boat?
Are you on call 24/7 everyday or only on planned trips?
Flat fee annual pay or hourly while under way (can you include prep / before after fees)?
If full time flat fee - benefits provided?
Insurance issues?
and so on...

For a simi retired captain this looks like a nice daily flat fee gig that you can walk away from with out much of a commitment. if its all in - you really have to want it or need it to be happy.
That’s a YES to all the above with the exception of salary.

Salary is 175k. I get hired by their family business in which I would get benefits. My high tonnage license and CV gives them a discount on their insurance. But here is some trivia. I don’t need a license for this type of job. The owner can hire whoever they want to captain their boat. It just so happens that todays insurance companies think differently. Lol

It definitely sounds like work. But the salary is on the high side for this type of job. The owner just wants “piece of mind” knowing the yacht is taken care of.

To many, this would be a great offer. I agree. But my current situation is working out perfectly. I work when I want. My wife and I are discussing all the pros and cons, of both situations.

Currently…… I have basically thrown all my apples into the EASY basket. If somebody books a private tour on the tiki boat, I get an alert on my phone. I decide if I want take the tour or pass on it. If I take it, I show up to a walk on- walk off Captain job, in which I earn approx $100 per hour. It so easy……. I should be arrested for robbery. Sunday I got a $300 tip for a 3 hour tour, then did another 2 tours afterwards, with measly 20% tips. Lol

I am getting OLD and lazy……. I like the EASY button.

I don’t need insurance from my employer. I am fully covered through my wife’s law firm.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Soooo, your last "problem" was deciding if you should move from your water front condo to a tropical island, and the current dilemma is if you should give up being a "boating prostitute" (message comes in, leave for a few hours, make hundreds), or go full blown "boating pimp"...
Definitely more stressful...Person In Management Position...PIMP. ;)

Kickass job offer, and probably would be something you'd jump on, if the offer came 10 years ago, you were single, or your wife didn't have a good job.

beerrun

Reaction score
Hey John that is a sexy boat but from the time we have spent together its not a money thing for you and I really can't imagine you being on call or at someone's beckon call keep doing what you are doing buddy

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
What about trying it for one year. Be up front with them and see if it’s something you would dig. Ya never know, it may be a blast.

RichL

Reaction score

Salary is 175k. I get hired by their family business in which I would get benefits. My high tonnage license and CV gives them a discount on their insurance. But here is some trivia. I don’t need a license for this type of job. The owner can hire whoever they want to captain their boat. It just so happens that todays insurance companies think differently. Lol

It definitely sounds like work. But the salary is on the high side for this type of job. The owner just wants “piece of mind” knowing the yacht is taken care of.

To many, this would be a great offer. I agree. But my current situation is working out perfectly. I work when I want. My wife and I are discussing all the pros and cons, of both situations.

Currently…… I have basically thrown all my apples into the EASY basket. If somebody books a private tour on the tiki boat, I get an alert on my phone. I decide if I want take the tour or pass on it. If I take it, I show up to a walk on- walk off Captain job, in which I earn approx $100 per hour. It so easy……. I should be arrested for robbery. Sunday I got a $300 tip for a 3 hour tour, then did another 2 tours afterwards, with measly 20% tips. Lol

I don’t need insurance from my employer. I am fully covered through my wife’s law firm.
Sounds to me like you already know what your decision should be.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I get the thing about not having a boss and set schedule. I haven’t had a schedule of a boss for about 20 years. But, with a nice paycheck, and the right boat/ owner, it might be the right decision.

Icky

Reaction score
Need a boat bitch? I mean helper

FCT

Reaction score
Don’t know a damn thing about that business but go with your gut instinct 🙌 it’s usually right.

wallnutz

Reaction score

So you would be in charge of the maintenance too? That would mean hiring people to do all of the maintenance, bottom scrapping, washing, engine maintenance etc... . That part would suck unless you could work a kick back out of it. Personally I would take the easy route at this point in my life.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Pretty sure we are going into a recession...with that said the short trips on the Tikki Boat may become fewer and far between next year. If you need the money, that may be an issue. If you don't really need the money then you may want to stay put and enjoy your quality of life. If income is extremely important to your life, I think I would take the job and security to at least ride out the recession.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
If you don't need the Benefits and your license saves them money on insurance I would definitely negotiate a higher salary with no Benefits.

I know a guy who is in this position for a boat like this on lake Powell. He has a family with kids and seems to be super happy in his position. The owner of his boat is very friendly to him and respects him in regards to him being the Capt. Though.

I think it boils down to how are the owners going to treat you. How often are actually going to have to do real Capt. Stuff?

I know there's more to the decision that's just what I can process right now with no coffee.

Buddy

Reaction score

Thats a very large salary for that program!
If you pass on it , I will gladly take it!

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
The owners are getting a full tax write off on his salary so they can afford the higher rate of pay. Taxpayers subsidizing a rich persons hobby. It’s okay if an inmate benefits

traquer

Reaction score
Would you be locked in with a hard contract? Or can you refer a captain buddy or something to take over if it doesn't work out in a few months?

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I'm in no way qualified to opine on if you should take the job or not but what a sweet predicament to be in. I'm a fan all of the boating related content you are posting. Makes me think I should cash out, slow down and become a part time captain living on the water. Sounds like a dream.