WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Home Build-North Texas

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
We're using The Jarrell Company. I'm not sure about timelines as they haven't been ordered yet. Sounds like we need to jump on that here pretty soon. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with delivery times.
I'd order now if you're ordering the top-tier stuff. It sounds like that's 1+ year out......

I can live with no ovens for a while, but delaying the move could be a pretty big issue. It's already a lot of logistics to deal with, and I'm ready to get out of here. :) I'll try to roll with the punches and not worry about things I can't control.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'd order now if you're ordering the top-tier stuff. It sounds like that's 1+ year out......

I can live with no ovens for a while, but delaying the move could be a pretty big issue. It's already a lot of logistics to deal with, and I'm ready to get out of here. :) I'll try to roll with the punches and not worry about things I can't control.
I've heard of builders renting appliances (for the home owner) so they can close on the home, then when the correct ones are available they install them.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I've heard of builders renting appliances (for the home owner) so they can close on the home, then when the correct ones are available they install them.
I'd be OK with that, but the builder will not be installing these. Ferguson will be installing, which was one of the stipulations the builder gave us when we chucked the Kitchenaid stuff.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'd be OK with that, but the builder will not be installing these. Ferguson will be installing, which was one of the stipulations the builder gave us when we chucked the Kitchenaid stuff.
Gotcha... I know in CA a home cannot close without a kitchen, wonder if TX is the same. I haven't looked into that.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score

We finalized our appliances today and the order has been placed. It sounds like they were in regular communication with our builder and were just about ready to request the order. I don‘t think we’re putting in the same level of appliances which may be helping our timeline. Still expensive though! Good luck to you!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
41A1DE5F-2D5A-4E52-842C-C6CE9F07A35B.jpeg

They started bricking! I’m hoping it’s just the picture, but that’s supposed to be white brick..

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
View attachment 1106902
They started bricking! I’m hoping it’s just the picture, but that’s supposed to be white brick..
I'm sure it's just the way the lighting is hitting it....amazing how different brick / mortar looks in pictures compared to in person. Heading out to a few homes next week to look at actual builds of the brick I like for my build. Really like how they did the soldier course over your garage (arched with herringbone underneath).....might borrow that from you....HAHA

v6toy4x

Reaction score

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
My son is moving to Celina TX in June. He's building a house right now too. He picked white brick. All the houses have brick. Your house looks great. I got a question. How come they don't build rv garages especially when you have hale the size of golf balls? Looks like you have enough land . What is the deal with the up lights? My son has those too. Again looks great

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
My son is moving to Celina TX in June. He's building a house right now too. He picked white brick. All the houses have brick. Your house looks great. I got a question. How come they don't build rv garages especially when you have hale the size of golf balls? Looks like you have enough land . What is the deal with the up lights? My son has those too. Again looks great

That area is especially booming. Last trip we went to Frisco and have been as far north as Prosper. I liked it a lot.

Yep. Almost all houses are brick and our realtor says white is the newest trend. I think people are ready to expand into other designs because I’ve seen a few cool modern home designs in Canyon Falls and Windsong.

I have no clue why they don’t build RV garages. The lake is nearby and I know our friend’s friend stores their boat there. Maybe storage is cheap? Shoot, you can’t even fit a full size truck in these garages and several people I’ve talked to say, “that’s what insurance is for.” RDP members caught the depth issue quickly, but I didn’t. Next home will have parking for a boat and be deep enough for any truck I want to park in there.

The up lights are for scene lighting. Instead of using landscaping lighting to make the house look good at night, my wife wanted these. I’m sure it will look nice, but I would have rather saved the money and done what almost everyone else does with lights in the ground.

Reactions: Wmc

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Regarding brick, how bright of a white brick did you get? I recalled these two houses here in Prosper. They’re right across the street from each other. Yours looks more like the 1951 address, with the 1950 address being a brighter white.

B5771514-1B9C-474B-983E-39827FB8E875.png
D59AB79B-A6B2-4742-B572-D6F67903125F.png

Notice the garage on 1951 address house. Three big windows and a big window on the east side too. Visually looks cool, but not sure I’d get used to my garage interior being on display to anyone 24/7.

Your house is looking real nice 👍

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Regarding brick, how bright of a white brick did you get? I recalled these two houses here in Prosper. They’re right across the street from each other. Yours looks more like the 1951 address, with the 1950 address being a brighter white.

View attachment 1110860 View attachment 1110861

Notice the garage on 1951 address house. Three big windows and a big window on the east side too. Visually looks cool, but not sure I’d get used to my garage interior being on display to anyone 24/7.

Your house is looking real nice 👍
Yah, I've got windows on my garage too, but not nearly that big. I'm not a huge fan. I could "live" with it for that 5 car garage though. :)

We used Bilco Phoenix, which looks MUCH whiter in these pics. It was the whitest brick Belclaire offered. This house may be using white mortar, which was impossible to get, and INSANELY expensive if you could get it. I expected a little darker due to the buff mortar, but not what we are seeing.
Bilco-Brick-phoenix-white-brick-home.jpg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
More progress on the house! It looks like lighting is in out the outside, and going in on the inside.
E38EEAB9-1669-45E5-A2D2-5641FE2684DB.jpeg

Not sure where these shelves came from, but I may have to remove them with the freezer going in.
12CBFD83-73F7-47AA-99BC-DFF2327BA39B.jpeg

Butlers pantry turned out nice. I didn't want to see the microwave in the kitchen so I put it here
379B5B12-D92D-4DA7-A14B-0BDFF985D50E.jpeg

Lighting is standard for now, and will be changed out when we move in. The upcharge was insane if I wanted the good stuff. I think the backsplash turned out nice.
5EF0CAA7-217C-4801-BC76-215D20F4AA2E.jpeg

Floors are starting to do down. Looks good so far. I was worried about the grout color.
D65BFA10-1E9B-424D-8879-F7919C13D643.jpeg
F4FF2EA7-DA6A-4B2A-8A36-7E18199BA4FB.jpeg

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
looking good. in your one kitchen picture, you're doing a double oven correct? are they stacked together or 2 separate pieces? check to see the oven opening, looks like it is trimmed in smaller than the lower oven opening. Looks lite it is set up for a single and micro over it.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
looking good. in your one kitchen picture, you're doing a double oven correct? are they stacked together or 2 separate pieces? check to see the oven opening, looks like it is trimmed in smaller than the lower oven opening. Looks lite it is set up for a single and micro over it.
:) Good eye. One of the main reasons we went with Monogram over the standard Kitchenaid stuff was a steam oven. That’s on top, and a bit smaller than the regular convection oven. Non-negotiable from the wife.

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
:) Good eye. One of the main reasons we went with Monogram over the standard Kitchenaid stuff was a steam oven. That’s on top, and a bit smaller than the regular convection oven. Non-negotiable from the wife.
Was just checking lol. We had a set of cabinets built for a flip and the cabinet guy mistook our double oven as a microwave oven set up (even gave him the measurements for openings) and had to modify it last minute.

It's coming along, might have to do a drive on it!
Whens completion for you, looks around the corner beside appliances

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Was just checking lol. We had a set of cabinets built for a flip and the cabinet guy mistook our double oven as a microwave oven set up (even gave him the measurements for openings) and had to modify it last minute.

It's coming along, might have to do a drive on it!
Whens completion for you, looks around the corner beside appliances
I really, really hope they did it correctly, because all of those appliances will be added after they are done….

Get over there and check it out! Haha They haven’t committed yet, but last week they said June 15-30. Kind of a big range to be setting up all the moving stuff and start the drive over. Hopefully they dial it in soon.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
976AB2C3-8446-4261-BFB6-5C81A0FEF763.jpeg

House as of today.

Looks like the builder won’t allow our neighbors to perform the walkthrough, so I’ll be flying out after work on Thurs the 23rd, arrive in Dallas at midnight, work from Dallas on Fri, perform the walkthrough, fly back that night, then start the drive out in Sunday. Lol.

Appliances can’t be installed prior to receiving the keys, so Ferguson will perform a walkthrough to make sure everything was built correctly next week.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
View attachment 1123457
House as of today.

Looks like the builder won’t allow our neighbors to perform the walkthrough, so I’ll be flying out after work on Thurs the 23rd, arrive in Dallas at midnight, work from Dallas on Fri, perform the walkthrough, fly back that night, then start the drive out in Sunday. Lol.

Appliances can’t be installed prior to receiving the keys, so Ferguson will perform a walkthrough to make sure everything was built correctly next week.
VERY NICE! CONGRATS, pretty big chapter!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
View attachment 1123457
House as of today.

Almost there! Congrats. We did a walk through virtually (April 2020 and I didn’t want to fly - but should have driven out). What a mistake. In hindsight, I should have spend 2 weeks locally prior to closing date to hold the builder’s feet to the fire. We had an inspection pre-close, but that only looks for major defects, not fit and finish work or whether what you paid for option wise actually was installed and correctly. A remote build leaves the homeowner at a disadvantage since you can’t just pop in and QC their work weekly. I think you have a realtor and local people checking here and there? In any case, the hassle of traveling out for the pre-close walk is definitely worth it.

Hope your actual move is a smooth one!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Almost there! Congrats. We did a walk through virtually (April 2020 and I didn’t want to fly - but should have driven out). What a mistake. In hindsight, I should have spend 2 weeks locally prior to closing date to hold the builder’s feet to the fire. We had an inspection pre-close, but that only looks for major defects, not fit and finish work or whether what you paid for option wise actually was installed and correctly. A remote build leaves the homeowner at a disadvantage since you can’t just pop in and QC their work weekly. I think you have a realtor and local people checking here and there? In any case, the hassle of traveling out for the pre-close walk is definitely worth it.

Hope your actual move is a smooth one!
Good info. We got really lucky having our mortgage broker next door. He’s been going multiple times per day, almost every day, to his house and has been checking in on our progress consistently. 99% of the pictures you see are from him and his wife. Zero are from the builder. We’ve used these pics to identify issues early, which has been super helpful.

I don’t think I’d build a home from a distance in the future. If I ever do this again, I’ll be close enough for consistent weekend drives, or rent in the area. It’s too big of an investment in time and money to do it like this again IMO.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Good info. We got really lucky having our mortgage broker next door. He’s been going multiple times per day, almost every day, to his house and has been checking in on our progress consistently. 99% of the pictures you see are from him and his wife. Zero are from the builder. We’ve used these pics to identify issues early, which has been super helpful.

I don’t think I’d build a home from a distance in the future. If I ever do this again, I’ll be close enough for consistent weekend drives, or rent in the area. It’s too big of an investment in time and money to do it like this again IMO.

Congrats on you soon to be move! The house looks great and I'm sure you're going to love living there. I hear you on building a house from a distance, it can be a bit stressful at times. We've been out a few times so far during our build but fortunately will be living with my BIL the last 5-6 weeks of the build. They only live 5 minutes away and I want to be there during all of the final fit and finish as well as the installation of appliances. Hope you're move goes smoothly!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Bad news on the appliances. The steam oven is now pushed back to November, so it looks like we'll have an empty hole in the wall for a few months... At least the fridge and freezer are going in slightly after we move in.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Definitely not happy about the chrome extension on the shower head and the different color diverter valve. That's got to get changed.
04F7346C-5031-4B43-A9EB-6B70F70A4E79.jpeg
FDE82562-F231-44C9-A6EC-1501A31D158E.jpeg
049CF933-567D-4C62-B6C0-FAE671C9CD16.jpeg

Really pumped on them putting sod down in the backyard. I figured I'd have to do that. One random thought, shouldn't they have put some normal mulch or dirt down before the sod? Grass will grow directly on that clay soil?
C2167F30-861C-46C5-8925-0E673E2E75B3.jpeg
343DE7D9-CD72-43ED-829F-5DF205719ED1.jpeg

Any ideas on the white cover near the eaves? Maybe my camera wires, which were not tucked up very high?
135F24A7-765C-4B3C-8B24-A403A7AD4154.jpeg

Fixture will be changed at move in. I didn't want to pay builder prices for something so easily changed
EF1C5B76-8866-4916-89A8-F1B4EE74D027.jpeg
EE6F6408-6F16-483E-B7D6-EC8225A94EB1.jpeg
A5E59BC9-496B-4583-9985-F17CDB225AEC.jpeg

Had them remove the shelves to fit the freezer
B6385BE2-799B-4C29-B3C3-43D3D14E59A3.jpeg

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yea, not good on the shower...

The grass would take less water if it had better soil, but I've not seen a builder do any grass in the back....so its still a plus and help keep the dust down.

House is looking great....

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Bad news on the appliances. The steam oven is now pushed back to November, so it looks like we'll have an empty hole in the wall for a few months... At least the fridge and freezer are going in slightly after we move in.
What a roller coaster this has been.

Looks great!

My observations with landscapers (especially in Texas), they do horrendous work. Barely level the soil (let alone actually amend the soil before laying sod), then throw the sod and go. You end up with lumpy lawn that needs leveling sand eventually to smooth it out. Sprinkler heads tilted at odd angles. Cheap schedule 20 pvc pipe. Bad wiring to valves. Then use a brand of spray head only a contractor can buy locally. Talk about lack of care with doing a job right!

At least you’ll have a lawn. But, you may spend years working out all the install errors. 🤪

You’re almost to the finish line. So cool!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
What a roller coaster this has been.

Looks great!

My observations with landscapers (especially in Texas), they do horrendous work. Barely level the soil (let alone actually amend the soil before laying sod), then throw the sod and go. You end up with lumpy lawn that needs leveling sand eventually to smooth it out. Sprinkler heads tilted at odd angles. Cheap schedule 20 pvc pipe. Bad wiring to valves. Then use a brand of spray head only a contractor can buy locally. Talk about lack of care with doing a job right!

At least you’ll have a lawn. But, you may spend years working out all the install errors. 🤪

You’re almost to the finish line. So cool!
Tell me about it. First-world problems I guess. :)

Haha the good thing is... I'll be ripping this all out next year for a pool build so it will only have to last a while. I'm just glad the dogs paws won't be getting too muddy with all of this clay.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Tell me about it. First-world problems I guess. :)

Haha the good thing is... I'll be ripping this all out next year for a pool build so it will only have to last a while. I'm just glad the dogs paws won't be getting too muddy with all of this clay.
This clay soil is something else!! Fresno has some rock hard clay which requires a pick-axe to plant even a small shrub. Here in DFW, the clay is like thick mud/tar. Easy to dig, but sticks to everything.

Yeah, keep as much soil under grass or hardscape. Pool will help that!

When does the move begin? House looks great. Finish line is in view now.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
This clay soil is something else!! Fresno has some rock hard clay which requires a pick-axe to plant even a small shrub. Here in DFW, the clay is like thick mud/tar. Easy to dig, but sticks to everything.

Yeah, keep as much soil under grass or hardscape. Pool will help that!

When does the move begin? House looks great. Finish line is in view now.
The drive starts on the 26th and we arrive on the 28th. Keys are handed over on the 29th, and the pods arrive on the 30th. I’m excited to sleep on my bed again. Cots and megamats aren’t bad, but I love my bed.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Man, only 4 days out, and not much is going well...

Had our inspector out to check out the house, and he said it was a disaster and not ready for occupancy. No details yet, other than the lack of a gas meter still, but I'm hoping it's overblown since I fly out tomorrow night for my walkthrough on Friday.

Ferguson went out to inspect the cabinets, countertops, and electrical and found a ton of discrepancies. Cabinets not sized to specs, the countertop is not square for the induction cooktop, the fridge/freezer needed two outlets, not one, and the one outlet is in the wrong spot....

On top of that, we can't get in contact with our construction supervisor or the builder to rectify these things. Hopefully, we have a house to move into next week....😞

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Had our inspector out to check out the house, and he said it was a disaster and not ready for occupancy. No details yet, other than the lack of a gas meter still, but I'm hoping it's overblown since I fly out tomorrow night for my walkthrough on Friday.

Ferguson went out to inspect the cabinets, countertops, and electrical and found a ton of discrepancies. Cabinets not sized to specs, the countertop is not square for the induction cooktop, the fridge/freezer needed two outlets, not one, and the one outlet is in the wrong spot....

On top of that, we can't get in contact with our construction supervisor or the builder to rectify these things. Hopefully, we have a house to move into next week....😞
Damn, sorry to hear this.

If you still do the walkthrough don’t sign off and move in. It will take them forever to come in and fix a “warranty” item as the builder has received their money. So don’t close until your satisfied, then you deal with warranty issues.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score

Damn, that‘s rough. I’m sure things will get ironed out but sorry to hear you’re going through these last minute issues. Good luck!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Damn, that‘s rough. I’m sure things will get ironed out but sorry to hear you’re going through these last minute issues. Good luck!
The hits keep coming today. If you haven't ordered appliances, do it now, seriously...

The freezer has been pushed out again to October, and the fridge till mid-July. These were both supposed to be here well before we were finished originally, which is why we went with them over Sub Zero and Thermador. The steam oven is still showing Nov as the updated date. Remember, these were ordered in late Sept/Early Oct.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably try harder to convince the wife to stick with the standard Kitchenaid appliances and do a remodel in a few years, maybe. Save $20-$25k at the same time.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The hits keep coming today. If you haven't ordered appliances, do it now, seriously...

The freezer has been pushed out again to October, and the fridge till mid-July. These were both supposed to be here well before we were finished originally, which is why we went with them over Sub Zero and Thermador. The steam oven is still showing Nov as the updated date. Remember, these were ordered in late Sept/Early Oct.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably try harder to convince the wife to stick with the standard Kitchenaid appliances and do a remodel in a few years, maybe. Save $20-$25k at the same time.
When is/was your closing date? They are now just telling you the appliance are pushed after you moved all your stuff to TX?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
When is/was your closing date? They are now just telling you the appliance are pushed after you moved all your stuff to TX?
Our closing date is June 29th. Ferguson has been pushing dates consistently as we got closer to the promised dates. Everything was supposed to be ready to install upon closing, which is no longer the case. The steam oven wasn't an issue, but not having the fridge/freezer is. We may have to buy a temporary one for now.

This isn't the builder's problem, minus not building the cabinets and cutting the counter correctly. Electrical is a toss-up. They would have seen the requirements in the spec sheet, but I'm guessing electrical was approved before they got the specs on the appliances. Not sure.

Music to my Ears

Reaction score

Wow, that really blows. I’m sorry to hear that! We’re using Ferguson as well but only for sinks, tub, toilets, and hardware. Our appliances were ordered a few months ago from The Jarrell Company. I haven’t heard of any issues yet but after what you’re going through, who knows. We didn’t order as a high end appliances as you (Kitchen Aid fridge and GE Cafe range etc) so maybe we’ll get lucky. Hopefully things will start turning around for you in a positive direction.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Wow, that really blows. I’m sorry to hear that! We’re using Ferguson as well but only for sinks, tub, toilets, and hardware. Our appliances were ordered a few months ago from The Jarrell Company. I haven’t heard of any issues yet but after what you’re going through, who knows. We didn’t order as a high end appliances as you (Kitchen Aid fridge and GE Cafe range etc) so maybe we’ll get lucky. Hopefully things will start turning around for you in a positive direction.
Hope things turn out better for you than they did for us. Supply chain issues suck. Everything was in the green for damn near 6 months, so have contingencies.

The positive news is I am still OK to do my walkthrough tomorrow at 1 pm CST, so I won't be eating that flight. :) Land at DFW at midnight local time.