WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Machinist gets Sucked through lathe.. Don't click if you don't want to see.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Normally I wouldn't even put something like this up, but being that it has alot to do with my daily activities.. I figured what the hell.

This is what happens if to a manual machinist if you wear long sleeve, baggy clothes to work.

I will tell you in advance This is a series of pictures of a guy that gets "sucked" through a lathe

So if that kinda shit bothers you then please don't scroll down, push the back button on your browser now..

AGAIN, THIS IS ABOUT AS GRAPHIC AS GRAPHIC GETS.. SO IF YOU ARE TURNED OFF BY THAT THEN DO NOT SCROLL DOWN

Things like this is the reason why I put literally ZERO stock in the "job occupancy" makes you a Hero bullshit..

Alot of peoples jobs are dangerous, and it's guys like this are the reason America has won wars, and kept moving forward. I doubt anyone will call him a hero for his efforts though. Just a dumbass for getting killed by a lathe.

I'd hate to have to be the guy to run over and turn off the machine. :(

Attachments

• cnotavgdalygrind1.jpg
    cnotavgdalygrind1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 223,765
  • cnotavgdalygrind2.jpg
    cnotavgdalygrind2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 114,830
  • cnotavgdalygrind3.jpg
    cnotavgdalygrind3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 178,240
  • cnotavgdalygrind4.jpg
    cnotavgdalygrind4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 122,512
  • cnotavgdalygrind5.jpg
    cnotavgdalygrind5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 101,450
  • cnotavgdalygrind6.jpg
    cnotavgdalygrind6.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 109,749

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
79 HUSTLER, Havasu Luvr, Magic34, mike37, Sleeper CP

First sicko's of the day.. LOL :D

I see you too BowTie Rick, and So Cal money.. LOL

RD

Sleeper CP

Reaction score
Wow...... That poor man :(:( .

You just don't know when it's your time. That reall suck's.

Do you know when that happened ?

Sleeper CP:(

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wow...... That poor man :(:( .

You just don't know when it's your time. That reall suck's.

Do you know when that happened ?

Sleeper CP:(

Had something long in a live center between the tail stock and the chuck and was doing some handwork on it, it looks like.. He might've been wiping the part off with a rag while it was spinning and it caught taking his hand around, then arm etc.. My guess is one of his sleeves got caught on the part, or the chuck and sucked him in and through. This is the reason why I rarely wear long sleeves.

RD

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
i was going to eat some breakfast. Thanks for keeping me on my diet:D

Truly, that is so sad.

Infomaniac

Extended Member
Reaction score
Job opening at that place.

Kind of hard to stomp the brake and pull yourself free at the same time.

2Driver

Reaction score
:fsakes Bet he doesn't have the guts to go back to work there.

When I worked at McCulloch in Havi we had the biggest die cast facility west of the Mississippi casting all the chain saw parts and engines. The dies ( 12 foot square) opened like a giant books up on end so the operator could reach in and remove the part and re-lube the die, then they would close at a force of around 500 tons. One guy leaned too far and reached back to grab himself and hit the close button. :eek:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Damn! I spent some time with a guy once that lost his arm/shoulder in a Lathe some years back. I cant imagine the split second of horror that went through that guys mind.

socalmoney

Reaction score
Damn! I spent some time with a guy once that lost his arm/shoulder in a Lathe some years back. I cant imagine the split second of horror that went through that guys mind.

that lathe was on his mind, now his mind is on the lathe.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I'm always weary of that right there, i never wear loose fitting clothes when turning parts, and always use great caution when using a rag.... that is just plain nasty, it makes my stomach turn....

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
This is a series of pictures of a guy that gets "sucked" through a lathe

I'd hate to have to be the guy to run over and turn off the machine. :(
Man! I thought this would be a progression of pics, it dives right in. You should have said "This is a serious of pictures of a guy that got sucked
through the lathe." Forget the guy that had to turn off the lathe, what about the bastard that had to clean it all up? Nasty chit for sure. Thanks for sharing, I think.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I wonder if the lathe is for sale now? :D

Had to say it :hotdevil

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score

RD

Sicko, LOL. I actually scrolled down VERY SLOWLY, briefly looked at the first 3 then quickly clicked out. :eek:

SuperDave013

Reaction score
And I thought the chip pan on my lathe was nasty.

So what's for lunch?

Reaction score
I've heard lots of stories, but never seen it before.. I've always been careful around our lathe, now I will be extra careful. Holy crap. :hmm

Reaction score
I was certain that I was going to scroll down and see fluffy bunnies or kittens or something cute. I was warned and still didn't expect what I saw!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was certain that I was going to scroll down and see fluffy bunnies or kittens or something cute. I was warned and still didn't expect what I saw!

I can't believe you expected bunnies? LOL... With a thread title like that? D

RD

Reaction score
I can't believe you expected bunnies? LOL... With a thread title like that? D

RD

I don't take anyone seriously here! I usually get roped into thinking someone is serious about a topic and it turns out to be a joke so I click on threads thinking it’s going to be a joke now.

Rotten.com would turn those pics down and tell you they are too disturbing to post!

Thanks for sharing!
:D

73beast

Reaction score
RD,having never spent any of time around equipment like that,how long do you think it took for it all to happen ?

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Damn, poor guy.

Had an employee get caught in the drive line on our biggest drill rig doing service in the yard. On his own, he engaged the very large PTO drive line, crawled under it for what we figure was some sort of a final inspection and wham, new Carhart jacket ripped right off his body hood first. He's one of those big strong guys we all have as friends that seem impossible to hurt and somehow he survived. Out for 6 months with a halo installed on his head. He way truly lucky. This happened not 40-feet from my office window. Thankfully, I did not have to see a scene like this one only seconds after it happened. Had it been anyone other than him, it would have been horrendous.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score

RD

Yeah you caught me, That is some sick shit, be careful while you are working Dave.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD,having never spent any of time around equipment like that,how long do you think it took for it all to happen ?

If he was running any kind of RPM a second or so.. If he was running it on low then it could've taken as long as 3 - 4 seconds. I've "heard" of people getting wrapped up with a machine running lower RPM's (it grabs an article of clothing and by the time they realize it's too late) and it slowly reeling them in..

For his sake I hope it happened fast.

This isn't a "common" theme in a machine shop or anything, but it does happen on occasion. I don't know any machinists that something like this hasn't "almost" happened too. LOL..

RD

westair

Reaction score
If he was running any kind of RPM a second or so.. If he was running it on low then it could've taken as long as 3 - 4 seconds. I've "heard" of people getting wrapped up with a machine running lower RPM's (it grabs an article of clothing and by the time they realize it's too late) and it slowly reeling them in..

For his sake I hope it happened fast.

This isn't a "common" theme in a machine shop or anything, but it does happen on occasion. I don't know any machinists that something like this hasn't "almost" happened too. LOL..

RD

Worker Comp rates must be a killer (no pun) for machine shops.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he was "sucked" into that lathe Dave... more liked... "dragged through a lathe" or "shredded by a lathe". Even more apporpriately, "forcibly dismembered by a lathe".

Lets have some truth in advertising here RD... there was no vacuum involved.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth!:eek:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he was "sucked" into that lathe Dave... more liked... "dragged through a lathe" or "shredded by a lathe". Even more apporpriately, "forcibly dismembered by a lathe".

Lets have some truth in advertising here RD... there was no vacuum involved.

My apollogies.. I've been reading the Evaluations in Hotboat lately, and my IQ points are dropping like flies.

RD :D

Yellowboat

Reaction score
gd, I've seen some nasty work accidents at job sites, but that is by far the worst.

spectras only

Reaction score
I'm sending the pictures to the guys in our machine shop , just before lunch time . Wonder if they 're going to postpone lunch today :hmm

Froggystyle

Reaction score
My apollogies.. I've been reading the Evaluations in Hotboat lately, and my IQ points are dropping like flies.

Thankfully, you haven't been totally assimilated or you would have commented on the incomplete job that the lathe did on said dismembering, or forgotten to mention the type of tool in the first place. You did leave out the speed and acceleration figures, so you may be slipping a bit as you have suspected.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thankfully, you haven't been totally assimilated or you would have commented on the incomplete job that the lathe did on said dismembering, or forgotten to mention the type of tool in the first place. You did leave out the speed and acceleration figures, so you may be slipping a bit as you have suspected.

When turning this machine on... Be prepared for the machine to turn on quickly.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Dave. I know that owning this place and being the HNIC gives you special privileges and all, but after seeing this thread I gotta ask. Does this mean it's OK to post pictures of Nude Women here now ? I bet most would find it far more tasteful than those pics.:D

Froggystyle

Reaction score
When turning this machine on... Be prepared for the machine to turn on quickly.

You win... I can't compete with that.

If you hang on to that catch-phrase, you are going to pretty consistently make me laugh out loud. It is perfect...

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
What a great thread, once you get beyond the pics...

I do have to wonder, and it's hard to tell from the pics, if he was wearing his safety glasses at the time... :hmm:fsakes:smackhead

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Dave. I know that owning this place and being the HNIC gives you special privileges and all, but after seeing this thread I gotta ask. Does this mean it's OK to post pictures of Nude Women here now ? I bet most would find it far more tasteful than those pics.:D

Very good point!