WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ball hitch breaks and kills dude being pulled out of the mud...

Roosky01

Reaction score
I did a search ,but I'm still not sure if this is a Vin? Local to you guys out there.

Guy gets stuck in the mud and friend who is trying to pull him out has the hitch break and fly into stuck guys truck through the windshield and kills him. RIP, Ryan.😞

This really makes me think about proper recovery techniques at the moment...

77charger

Reaction score
Way too easy to pull that hitch out and use the pin through the strap in the receiver. Let alone throw some blankets or floor matts over the strap to help absorb that shock in case of a break.
A guy taught me that years go pull slider out push loop into receiver put pin in.I have pulled very had with it too and no issues.

HCP3

Reaction score
I saw this happen in Pismo once. Luckily no one was hurt. 😖

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Way too easy to pull that hitch out and use the pin through the strap in the receiver. Let alone throw some blankets or floor matts over the strap to help absorb that shock in case of a break.

I have seen the blankets on the cables and straps and always wondered if it would actually help..

Bobby_329

Reaction score
When i was younger I was in my buddy's truck at pismo pulling out a 1500 and toyhauler that were stuck bad and it ripped the tow hook out of the frame, luckily his truck was tall and it hit the tailgate but still was a holy shit moment.

4Waters

Reaction score
When i was younger I was in my buddy's truck at pismo pulling out a 1500 and toyhauler that were stuck bad and it ripped the tow hook out of the frame, luckily his truck was tall and it hit the tailgate but still was a holy shit moment.
It was a 1500 chevy wasn't it

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not going to watch that video.

We humans learn every day (or should). Either we read and learn because we want or need to and we also learn from experience. Sometimes those experiences have strong lessons like getting hurt (helping someone by towing them by the ball hitch, using table saws, etc., etc.) or sadly, getting killed. We typically call them accidents or Darwin awards.

For example, most of us have learned about towing trailers by doing it and/or being with others. But sometimes we learn the hard way which is something all humans do. It's called life and surviving it to enjoy another day is the most important thing of all.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Point.
Pulling a vehicle stuck in mud, is NOT the same as buried in sand or dirt.
The suction created trying to pull cannot be over come by pulling alone. Shovels are the only way.

Backlash

Reaction score
Yes, it is tragic whenever anyone loses their life in a manner similar to this. It's even more tragic when the loss of life could have been avoided. With that being said, NOT talking about these types of incidents doesn't help anyone. If you can have a discussion, and that discussion educates others, which in turn prevents another innocent person from losing their life, then it was worthwhile.

In my line of work, we are constantly discussing critical incidents and revisiting things that have occurred. These discussions are with adults and everyone is required to check their ego at the door. We critique these incidents to learn from them, so any mistakes that are made, are pointed out and addressed. The hope is to prevent similar mistakes from occuring in the future, which could be costly.

By posting up this thread, and opening it up to a public forum, you are bound to get different responses and opinions from different people. If one person can learn from this and it saves their life, each one of us should be thankful.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think the point of passing this along is so people could learn from this mistake...

I've always used a strap. Never any chain.

I've wrapped one end around my reciever, that is attached with grade 8 bolts, to my truck frame...

And the other end goes around the stuck vehicle frame.

I've pulled a few stuck people out in Glamis, even a class C motor home. Never had any issues this way.

When I was younger...

I'd park on the road and watch people try and pull each other out of the mud in Azusa Canyon on the weekends.

It was definitely good education.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
God Bless that man and his family. the hitch pin thru the recovery strap directly is a great tip. When I was a kid we got stuck and some old-timers were winching us out. No blankets available, they put some branches with leaves over the cable

Roosky01

Reaction score
I posted this thread because it definitely hit home for me. I’ve done this a handful of times and have been fortunate that nothing bad happened. It shakes a guy a bit seeing what can actually happen in real life.

I for one am definitely changing up my program after seeing this..

River Runnin

Reaction score
I’ve used the blanket when doing recovery! Have a 30K strap, but always used my winch.12K Patriot

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
God Bless that man and his family. the hitch pin thru the recovery strap directly is a great tip. When I was a kid we got stuck and some old-timers were winching us out. No blankets available, they put some branches with leaves over the cable

What is that actually going to do? I asked earlier and while I kinda get it I’d just think the projectile would fly right past it and do the same thing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
With regard to this incident, the drop hitch was the problem.. creates a crazy mechanical “arm or movement”. If it wasn’t a drop hitch I don’t think this woulda happened.

When I was a kid I heard a story about a tow truck pulling up a boat with one of those old school tow trucks. The bow eye came out of the boat and killed the tow truck operator..

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yes, it is tragic whenever anyone loses their life in a manner similar to this. It's even more tragic when the loss of life could have been avoided. With that being said, NOT talking about these types of incidents doesn't help anyone. If you can have a discussion, and that discussion educates others, which in turn prevents another innocent person from losing their life, then it was worthwhile.

In my line of work, we are constantly discussing critical incidents and revisiting things that have occurred. These discussions are with adults and everyone is required to check their ego at the door. We critique these incidents to learn from them, so any mistakes that are made, are pointed out and addressed. The hope is to prevent similar mistakes from occuring in the future, which could be costly.

By posting up this thread, and opening it up to a public forum, you are bound to get different responses and opinions from different people. If one person can learn from this and it saves their life, each one of us should be thankful.
Education is expected from threads like this, it's the only positive from a very negative story.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What is that actually going to do? I asked earlier and while I kinda get it I’d just think the projectile would fly right past it and do the same thing.

If you're using a winch, you have no choice but to use a cable. A lot of guys will also attach a strap to the cable, to provide an easier attachment point, and cushion.

Weighing down the cable, slows it down if something breaks.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score

Actually makes a difference, in this case with the short rope and a super heavy projectile it may not have been enough but it may have redirected it toward the truck...

EDIT: Ziggy beat me to it
Kinda snags the cable and slows/redirects it.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
In the past I have been known to put a d-ring shackle on the safety chain part of the hitch and put the strap on the shackle, will only do the hitch pin through the receiver from now on.

Riverryder

Reaction score
what hitch pin are you guys using? guess i never really thought about it until this topic came up.
how much force can the hitch pin take?

Roosky01

Reaction score
what hitch pin are you guys using? guess i never really thought about it until this topic came up.
This is what I use in my receivers. Link has load charts in it.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you're using a winch, you have no choice but to use a cable. A lot of guys will also attach a strap to the cable, to provide an easier attachment point, and cushion.

Weighing down the cable, slows it down if something breaks.
Anyone who isn't using winch rope instead of cable (wire rope) needs to make the switch. And soft shackles.

Way safer, way lighter, and you can fix a broken rope on the trail with a bic pen

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

Roosky01

Reaction score
Saw this video a couple of years ago. Rather enlightening if you have a little time to watch it.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
RIP to the driver, looks like he was a family man.

The most surprising thing to me is the ball mount is hollow, I have a 12", 10" & 8" drop from lifted trucks in the past and ALL 3 are solid. Even my Motorhome Standard drop ball mount is solid.... heavy as fuck and not the "cool aluminum" drop but doubt this would ever happen.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Place the blanket over the chain or run the chain through the center of 2 tires, think spare tires. Place ether of those 2 in the middle of the chain or separate the tires a bit. When the chain fails and sling shots back towards the end that isn't broke the weight of the tires and even a blanket will stop the momentum before the broken end reaches the non broken end. The chain can break anywhere but most common I've seen is at the ends.
Brother snapped a tow strap pulling a motorhome and it rocketed into the tailgate of his wife's truck. I don't think she knows yet.

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Exactly. I have moving blankets in the bed all the time to lay over a tow strap in case as well.
… This… Had some good old mountain boys hook a winch up to my blazer that was about ready to go over the side of a cliff… They said they always throw furniture pads over the cable…

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

The most surprising thing to me is the ball mount is hollow, I have a 12", 10" & 8" drop from lifted trucks in the past and ALL 3 are solid. Even my Motorhome Standard drop ball mount is solid.... heavy as fuck and not the "cool aluminum" drop but doubt this would ever happen.
I had a 10” drop and it was solid also, and chrome😆 and to your point I think every big drop back in the day was solid I remember. That was not built by a hitch company. That gusset made it break and if it wasn’t there the drop would have bent.

Riverryder

Reaction score
This is what I use in my receivers. Link has load charts in it.

hmm i recently was thinking about the pin while towing up the hill from laughlin. i got mine along time ago but it was cheap made me think if i had to replace it being that its seen alot of towing miles..

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Horrible situation all around. For the survivors, I especially feel bad :(

From doing mud bogs and tug-of-war BS with lifted trucks, I learned some about hitching points. At the mud pits, they'd pull you out with an excavator. The bucket would be in line with you, with excavator above and just ahead. Looking at it now, it was probably to keep any chain failure below the grill of the stuck vehicle. Most guys ran big shackles attached to solid 2" stock into recievers, both front and rear.

Rear recievers for "tug-of-war", or general screwing around, were deep drops. Usually, 2" solid slides, plate mount face. Ag places would sell them. The lower portion would have struts running forward, about axle centerline on each side to the frame. Lower the mount, more traction on front tires. If the struts were stout, they become a fulcrum, pushing the hitch pin.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

This is a really good point. All mine are solid as well.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I would never use the pin, personally.

Wrap the strap around your reciever bar from underneath and put the strap loop around the actual hitch receiver.

I would also never use a chain under any circumstances.

This accident is the worst case scenario of how bad things can go in a blink.

Do it safely, or don't do it at all.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
I had a 10” drop and it was solid also, and chrome😆 and to your point I think every big drop back in the day was solid I remember. That was not built by a hitch company. That gusset made it break and if it wasn’t there the drop would have bent.
😂 All the big drops I have are chrome:cool: My brother had was towing a Class 8 in an enclosed trailer in Mexico with an aluminum drop and snapped it on a single lane mountain road... I was a nightmare for him, I'll never buy an aluminum hitch.